Metal Storm logo
Best out of these "atmospheric" Black Metal Bands

Original post

Posted by Ealdamir, 17.01.2007 - 22:06
Well, fo rmy choice, 2 weeks ago i would go for Xasthur oe for Weakling since "Dead As Dreams" was one of a kind. But then I discovered Wolves In the Throne Room and their first full-length "Diadem of 12 Stars" really took me by surprise and has been ever-present in my cd-player. A really haunting and ethereal album full of melodies and a special feelin.Seems like they totally put their lifestyle into their music.
Drudkh is a band I also love and especially "Autumn Aurora" and secondly "The Swan Road"
Leviathan and Blut Aus Nord are also good.

Maybe i should have more bands but i am not that informed on the genre so there is the other option.
And i didn't forget Burzum as some might say-it just didn't fit in this poll(except from dominating immediately). (sorry if there is a similar poll but i couldn't find)

Poll

Wich one do you like the most?

other (similar in style)
Drudkh
Wolves In the Throne Room
Xasthur
Blut Aus Nord
Leviathan
Weakling
Nortt

Total votes: 166
24.01.2007 - 01:10
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Have only that demo, O Caminho Que Cruza A Escuridão Dos Vales. Just a few tracks in it but quite good. My supplier managed to get it from somewhere and palm it off to me lol. It's somehow not really my style however. They have a bit of an electrical sound to them at times which I quite dislike. However some of my friends who heard it think its very good. Just not my taste. You guys might like it though.. Try to buy it online or something, maybe ebay..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
25.01.2007 - 11:04
Priest Of Hex
Account deleted
Drudkh and Weakling are definately up there when it comes to atmosphere, but Nortt gets my vote hands down.
25.01.2007 - 12:11
APOHAKC
The Bard
I spoke with Mikael from Night Conquer's Day and he told me that he have new Black Metal Atmospheric band and it is working for some time. The band is Tearstained and it is really good. Here some links http://www.myspace.com/myopengrave
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/mikael/Tear.html
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
23.05.2007 - 20:13
Milutin
Account deleted
Hmm I haven't heard much of this bands....I was hoping to find Summoning here.
23.05.2007 - 20:23
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
My vote goes to Xasthur. But I must admit I don't know all bands in the list here....
26.05.2007 - 01:02
Kurzag
Account deleted
I´ll go for Wyrd. This band has this nature atmosphere, which fits the band good. So I voted other.
26.05.2007 - 01:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 26.05.2007 at 01:02

I´ll go for Wyrd. This band has this nature atmosphere, which fits the band good. So I voted other.

Have you hear Darkwoods My Betrothed band from Finland? realy awsome band and Tuomas Holopainen us eto play there too realy awsome band from Finland same like Mystic Forest from France even if its BM but there are some romance
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.05.2007 - 01:59
Kurzag
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 26.05.2007 at 01:09

Have you hear Darkwoods My Betrothed band from Finland? realy awsome band and Tuomas Holopainen us eto play there too realy awsome band from Finland same like Mystic Forest from France even if its BM but there are some romance

Yes I have heard Darkwoods My Betrothed, worth to check out if you like symphonic BM.
26.05.2007 - 09:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 26.05.2007 at 01:59

Yes I have heard Darkwoods My Betrothed, worth to check out if you like symphonic BM.

Yes I agree thay are poetical, old school, melodic, syphonic, atmosfereic and great
----

apos;'
[image]
26.05.2007 - 12:09
AntaeusM
Elite

Strangely I discovered this band thanks to the fact I also like Japanese music. Besides that, I wouldn't call them atmospheric, but they definitely have something romantic in their music. They didn't release much, but the stuff they released is some good quality black metal.
26.05.2007 - 12:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AntaeusM on 26.05.2007 at 12:09

Strangely I discovered this band thanks to the fact I also like Japanese music. Besides that, I wouldn't call them atmospheric, but they definitely have something romantic in their music. They didn't release much, but the stuff they released is some good quality black metal.

Haha I like japanish and chinseas and indian folk and traditional music

Sbout band I woud not say Wyrd are pure BM also Windir, Mystic Forest and such bands there something more some other influencies what makes it atmosferic and some how romantic

hey have you something from korean band Sad Legend?
----

apos;'
[image]
27.05.2007 - 20:33
Hamird
Lieutenant
you are talking about atmospheric metal and in your list BURZUM has not take place ...
i think BURZUM is the master of atmospheric art
28.05.2007 - 04:37
scskowron
War Paladin
Man I love them all...it's my favorite genre. Guess I'll have to pick Xasthur though. I think he's the most talented out of all the musicians listed above. His ability to layer synthesizers and drums and guitars on top of each other in such a seemingly discordant manner while simultaneously creating an eerie and well-connected atmosphere is very admirable. I like Nortt, but he's just way too simplistic to be considered the best.

Though Wrest's Lurker of Chalice album was fantastic. Lurker of Chalice should be in this list!
I'll admit I haven't heard of this Wolves in the Throne Room band yet but I plan on doing so now.
16.06.2007 - 20:03
Jiri

I voted for Xasthur. Great atmospheric music!
18.06.2007 - 23:05
Infurnace

I like most of the bands, but my vote definitely goes to Drudkh, they are my favorite band from the list. Drudkh is really cool Pagan/Atmospheric Black Metal.
20.06.2007 - 03:38
Nazeef

I like mostly SUMMONING.
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
20.06.2007 - 06:24
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
I do enjoy Leviathan, they are one of the few modern metal bands who can create that dark atmospere, and they do it very well...
Another band who i enjoy like this is Twilight. They create some very dark musical pieces.
25.06.2007 - 16:55
Ealdamir

Written by scskowron on 28.05.2007 at 04:37

Man I love them all...it's my favorite genre. Guess I'll have to pick Xasthur though. I think he's the most talented out of all the musicians listed above. His ability to layer synthesizers and drums and guitars on top of each other in such a seemingly discordant manner while simultaneously creating an eerie and well-connected atmosphere is very admirable. I like Nortt, but he's just way too simplistic to be considered the best.

Though Wrest's Lurker of Chalice album was fantastic. Lurker of Chalice should be in this list!
I'll admit I haven't heard of this Wolves in the Throne Room band yet but I plan on doing so now.

After all the time i made this poll - i have come to realise that Lurker of Chalice is maybe a lot better than Leviathan. So you're right but i won't change it now.
You should defenately try Wolves In The Throne Room. One of the best black metal bands i've listened lately. Their first album "Diadem of Twelve Stars" is quite perfect and they are about toi release their 2nd album "Two Hunters" if memory serves.

@to all the others. As said in the first page i didn't include Burzum,Ulver,Emperor, Gehenna or any other due to the fact that they are bands activated earlier - and they would also dominate the poll. I was mostly interested in the more "fresh" let's say generation of black metal

About summoning - i have said that their different to the other bands is the lack of misanthropic and depressive feeling over the epic.

of course all these bands are influences by the ones mentioned above but imo their place was not on the poll
----
I Really Wanna Visit Wonderland Some Time...
::)

Plz, Help me Fly!
13.09.2007 - 14:49
LivingCorpse
Account deleted
I voted for Xasthur, because of his talent to mix different instruments fit in the track. Though, with great ambient elements. Sometimes it isn't even bad if you can't hear anything clearly, it could take you another world, where you can barely hear the music, and just drown in the atmosphere. Burzum and Xasthur masters of art like this.
15.09.2007 - 16:26
Mystic Ice
Account deleted
Drudkh for me. I like most of the bands in the list a great deal but to me Drudkh is just so melodic. They are masters at combining sorrowful, melodic and extreme elements without any of it seeming watered down.
12.10.2007 - 15:33
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
what about peste noire??
----
Stay Metal !!!
04.12.2007 - 08:02
ArcanaHereticae

I'd say Blut Aus Nord. Maybe I'm just partial to French Metal. But other than that, Summoning and Wyrd are pretty good, too. Maybe Axis of Perdition.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
05.12.2007 - 23:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ArcanaHereticae on 04.12.2007 at 08:02

I'd say Blut Aus Nord. Maybe I'm just partial to French Metal. But other than that, Summoning and Wyrd are pretty good, too. Maybe Axis of Perdition.

Axxis are german hevay power metal band
----

apos;'
[image]
06.12.2007 - 00:36
Varegan
Hamranakara
I love summoning and I vote for it but why don't you put that in the list?!? you have to taste summoning too I also like Xasthur
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
06.12.2007 - 00:51
Zombie, M.D.

Save for the vocals (and lousy production on the early stuff) I don't think there is much black metal about Nortt. As much as I enjoy some Xasthur, my vote has to go to Weakling. Dead as Dreams is EASILY amongst the most impressive black metal releases to come out after the 1990's ended. It's a lot less one dimensional than Xasthur and the majority of the other bands listed catalogs doesn't do much for me.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
06.12.2007 - 00:57
ArcanaHereticae

Written by Bad English on 05.12.2007 at 23:25

Written by ArcanaHereticae on 04.12.2007 at 08:02

Axxis are german hevay power metal band

No sir. Not the album I have... We may be thinking of a different band. The Icheumon Method is in no way Power Metal. No way at all.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
06.12.2007 - 02:02
Ellie
Account deleted
Hmm I voted "other." Alcest is definitely my favourite atmospheric black metal band. Xasthur comes close in second though
05.02.2008 - 00:43
necrovamp

i voted other, a band called Sear Bliss, they play black metal with a trombone, their a bit like sigh, you should check them out if you can find them.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
24.02.2008 - 19:44
belisarius

i like xasthur the most, drudkh isn't bad either, i know blut aus nord, norrt and leviathan a bit and i never heard of the rest
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
26.02.2008 - 00:35
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I usually like my black metal straight-forward and violent but Weakling are an exception.