Metal Storm logo
Why do you buy music CDs?

23.02.2014 - 17:16
Kirg
I would like to know what's the reason that drives you to buy music CDs, especially those released by relatively fresh new bands. Consider that it's available cheaply, let's say 3 usd.
Is it because you have heard some kickass song on youtube? Or have you been to that band's concert and enjoyed some amazing moshpit?
I'd like to know whether you would buy CD because you have heard an entire album rather than not being able to find and download two or three songs on the internet(hypotheticaly, I know they'll find their way eventually).

Story behind this question is that we had a discussion within a band whether we should release all songs from new album on the band's web, with our most promising songs on the top of the list. Or whether we should make only few songs available and leave the "top" songs for CDs and concerts only, because nobody would buy it if it's freely downloadable.

I'm fine with whatever way people get their favourite music. It's truth that matters
23.02.2014 - 17:33
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I think a band should be VERY obscure in order for one to not to be able to find their stuff for download. Often in that obscure cases it's also very hard to find their stuff for sale too.
Honestly nowadays I only buy CDs when I recognize the effort and feel like I MUST support the band. When I do that, it means I've already heard that album a dozen times before and know that it is good.
I don't feel like there's much sense other than that in buying CDs, because I listen to music mostly on the computer or on mp# players, in mp3 format. This is the era of mp3 and digital formats. I think there's more sense in selling digital albums rather than physical ones. Well, that's MY opinion.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.02.2014 - 08:05
no one
Account deleted
Im pretty much the same as you karlabos, but i aslo like to read the lyrics look at the art work and messages from the band or whatever. Everything you would do with a record you say, but sometimes records are hard to come across or too expensive to get...i will always try for a record first, but a cd would do just for the physical sort of thing

it's good to look at your collection as a bunch of art than just a list of words on your computer screen
24.02.2014 - 10:14
IronAngel
People buy CDs to support bands, because they collect them, or just out of habit. Especially as a small band, I doubt having your material available online is going to cut much into your CD sales (which would happen at concerts).

But one fact of the new order you ought to realize: it's not about price, it's about availability. Most people will download your music, that's a fact. They may also buy the physical copy, but it's going to be a small fraction of your distribution. That's because digital files are easily available, whether it be through your own distribution or unlicensed sharing. But people are generally happy to pay for something they can get with a snap of their fingers. That's how services like Steam, iTunes store, Netflix etc. work. So upload your album online, but not for free; rather, sell it for name-your-price or 5 bucks or something. Use Bandcamp or something, and new listeners will stumble upon your work and maybe even buy it. Two or three of your best tracks for free streaming, and the whole album to be bought at the click of a button.

If it's easy, people will pay.
24.02.2014 - 13:00
Kirg
Thanks for opinions. I think pretty much the same, we're low profile band and "hidding" from people will do us no good.

Written by Karlabos on 23.02.2014 at 17:33

I think a band should be VERY obscure in order for one to not to be able to find their stuff for download. Often in that obscure cases it's also very hard to find their stuff for sale too.

The reason is overly protective behaviour of some people who thinks nobody will buy it if it's available for free.

Internet distribution is an awesome low risk thing. Minimal investment and it can reach everyone on the internet. But there's always that warm feeling having a CD in collection

I hope to read some more opinions
25.02.2014 - 18:43
iryzw
Maybe all people thinks Internet could disappear tomorrow and we need the security of physical CDs. It's my hypothesis. Maybe it isn't the best, but it's a hypothesis.
26.02.2014 - 03:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by deadone on 25.02.2014 at 23:56
Hard Drive died and she lost everything.

Serves your friend right for not backing that up.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.02.2014 - 06:14
no one
Account deleted
People still rob houses to ya know, and there ain't no back up for that
26.02.2014 - 07:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 26.02.2014 at 06:14

I think I'll take my chances downloading music and hoping someone doesn't break into my house and steal my computer and external hard drives.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.02.2014 - 22:02
MetalDoomMaster
I buy music if its good, regardless of whether or not I downloaded it and it's on my computer already. I will buy digital from bandcamp, but only if its like 2 dollars or less, since I'd much rather have a physical copy.
26.02.2014 - 22:07
Migtanteot
Talking about emerging bands, A fact is that people choose the easier way at first, so a name-your-price song is one of the best way to catch the atention of them. then, if they concider support the band or just becouse they think is a fucking amazing music they buy the CD. and some people really wants to know the Ideology, beliefs and feelings which round the music, so they buy the CD.

And agreeing with IronEngel, this second step depends on a good distribution method(company) you use.

Yes, Internet turns to be a high risk place. but I believe if you choose a trustworthy way you´re gonna obtain good results.

Another thing, I used third person but those are my personal reason and other ones I agree.
27.02.2014 - 00:12
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by deadone on 26.02.2014 at 23:57

Written by Guest on 26.02.2014 at 06:14

Far easier to steal a computer than nearly 600 CDs as well as photo albums.

Still possible, though =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
27.02.2014 - 06:49
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 27.02.2014 at 00:27

Far easier to steal a computer than nearly 600 CDs as well as photo albums.

people will more likely just trash your cd's than take them, i got my house robbed once and they trashed everything and took the computer, so all the same
27.02.2014 - 08:34
bloodnutar
I collect. I love collecting. It is like hunting something. I love having the physical CD/LP, and value all the effort that went into it.

I buy way more CDs than I can actually afford, and try to collect any item I will listen to more than once or twice. It is closest I can get to getting on the train and visiting every record store in the city and nearby cities.

I also think it shows that you are really serious about supporting the band, and that you are willing to sometimes go to extremes to obtain an item. When listening to music with friends, or discussing music, it adds value when you can say "I bought this when..", or "I own all their albums". Electronic formats do not have the same meaning or value.

I listen to electronic rips of my own music, so most items are played only once. Physical items are put into mp3 format, then put into a plastic sleeve and filed away in my collection. Every now and again, items are taken our again, re-arranged, etc., and this makes for fantastic times, alone and with friends.
27.02.2014 - 16:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by deadone on 27.02.2014 at 00:27

Now a house fire, that's where things like CDs and photo albums are much more at risk.

But if you're house is burning, your PC is probably just as dead unless you're insane enough to risk your life for a machine.

I'd let my computer burn but will try and save as many vinyls, cd's and cassettes as possible. Especially the rare, irreplaceable stuff. Btw I also have everything LP, cd, cassette, music dvd's, music books and metal mags and fanzines insured as a collection, just in case.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.02.2014 - 16:53
Warman
Erotic Stains
I still buy CD:s and I pay for Spotify. I pay for my music because of the reasons already stated above: I wanna support the artists and I wanna collect the music. Although ever since I moved from home and started studying at the university four years ago, I seldom afford to buy CD:s. But I'm done with my studies in a year, so after that I'll start buying all the shit again. That's also why I use and pay for Spotify: so I can hear new music and it's also a cheap monthly cost which I don't even notice.
----
18.03.2014 - 16:36
toxx
Supreme being
I buy CD's if I want something new in my car. (Old CD-player) But i rarely buy CD's. I mostly buy vinyl, and I pay to stream music from Wimp on my computer.
18.03.2014 - 23:39
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Kirg on 24.02.2014 at 13:00

Thanks for opinions. I think pretty much the same, we're low profile band and "hidding" from people will do us no good.

Written by Karlabos on 23.02.2014 at 17:33

The reason is overly protective behaviour of some people who thinks nobody will buy it if it's available for free.

Internet distribution is an awesome low risk thing. Minimal investment and it can reach everyone on the internet. But there's always that warm feeling having a CD in collection

I hope to read some more opinions

If your a low-profile band you should be more concerned with getting noticed than with CD sales, so I'd say Release as much digital and for free as possible! If you feel the need to make CD's start with burning and assembling them yourself and sell for cheap as possible but I'd say go the free download route, then once you get a following start worrying about the money aspect.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
10.04.2014 - 23:47
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I have a collection of about 300+ CDs, to support the artists obviously and as a hobby. I like the fact that I'm able to play the physical disc in my car and boom box while also being able to transfer the MP3 to my computer (though I've heard of some converters for Vinyl and Cassettes which I don't know about nor might I be able to afford). I also hate the fact that CDs aren't doing too well in stores, and am doing my part to try to keep the format afloat in the market by buying them.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
11.04.2014 - 16:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by deadone on 11.04.2014 at 09:27
And without CD sales artists lose money, especially as most people downloading the music do it for free.

CD sales are better for the label and the actual store more so than for the artist. Artists make their profit with merch.
----
11.04.2014 - 23:28
no one
Account deleted
Yeah i can't imagine artists making fuck all from cd sales, but if thats all i can afford and contribute it's justifiable enough for me
12.04.2014 - 00:47
Vombatus
Potorro
True that labels take most of cd sales, but bands need them to finance/release/promote their stuff, it's more some kind of mutual benefit. Plus, if a label doesn't sell well some album, they won't sign anymore the band so band gets fucked for further releases, thus buying albums can can only be a good thing. And for small unsigned bands it's totally different too, they do make good profit with cd sales as they finance themselves everything.
This argument that "all the money of cds go to labels" used by downloaders in order not to buy albums is not very representative, me thinks.
14.04.2014 - 04:49
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by deadone on 14.04.2014 at 01:53

And if the labels go bust, bands are screwed. They will have to self finance tours, promotion etc.

Many bands do this already.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.05.2014 - 01:04
Dr.Overkill26
Simple Really, I like to support the artist, And prefer to have a Physical copy of the album with artwork, Lyrics, Pictures etc
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
18.07.2014 - 16:54
By buying Cds, I support the artists I like, so thay they continue playing the music I like. Plus, I enjoy listening to music on my stereo,
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter