01. Out To The Sea
02. The Emergence
03. The Swarm
04. The Descent

The Best Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal Album Of 2014
Top 20 albums of 2014: 2

Additional info
Recorded at Studio Korkeakoski.
Drums recorded at Studio SF Sound by Kimmo Perkkiö.
Other instruments recorded at Studio Korkeakoski by Teemu Aalto.

Mixed at Fascination Street Studios by André Alvinzi.
Mastered at Chartmakers by Svante Forsbäck.

Artwork by Wille Naukkarinen.

Tracks 2-4 on the second disc comes from the band's 2013 EP, Ephemeral.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
With Insomnium no longer having the service of guitarist Ville Vänni and his replacement by Markus Vanhala, the lead guitarist of Omnium Gatherum, Shadows Of The Dying Sun presents the possibility of a merging of the titans, so to speak. However, their sixth full length studio effort is no less Insomnium in style and execution than what preceded it, which means we're granted yet another excellent album from this premier melodic death metal band.

Read more ››
published 23.04.2014 | Comments (42)

Found in 88 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 158   Visited by: 2252 users
25.04.2014 - 20:21
Rating: 6
Erik M.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.03.2014 at 17:30

That username though...

Not to mention his votes... I'd call that vote abuse.
25.04.2014 - 20:24
Erik M.

Written by BloodJuNkie on 24.04.2014 at 11:18

Does that mean you stopped being a fan just because you didn't like 1 album of 5?

If Pale Communion is just as much a disappointment as Heritage was, then I won't be an Opeth fan anymore. Hell, even now I'm not a real fan of them anymore, and they have released 10 albums so far.
26.04.2014 - 03:57
Rating: 8
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by Erik M. on 25.04.2014 at 20:24

Written by BloodJuNkie on 24.04.2014 at 11:18

Does that mean you stopped being a fan just because you didn't like 1 album of 5?

If Pale Communion is just as much a disappointment as Heritage was, then I won't be an Opeth fan anymore. Hell, even now I'm not a real fan of them anymore, and they have released 10 albums so far.

Strange, because i'm still In Flames fan although i don't like their last 3 probably 4 albums!
26.04.2014 - 08:44
I love Insomnium intro tracks and The Primeval Dark continues their completely spotless history with them. It gives the impression that the album is going to be similar to the last two. I immediately noticed an improvement in the production is here(similar to Across the Dark) than on One For Sorrow, thankfully. The opening of Until We Sleep calls to mind The Harrowing Years, even though it's much faster. Black Heart Rebellion is the heaviest, most extreme song on the album and rarely lets up throughout, building into a chorus that shoves its way into the stables of their best material. Love it. If a stampede could ever be blissful, it's here. It begins with a keyboard pitch very similar to Lay of Autumn, which seems fitting considering how good both tracks are. Lose the Night is a great follow up because the lead guitar melody soothes you after such a peak in aggression.

The solos seem to have a different sound. Maybe from the new guy? I see a lot of talk about Omnium Gatherum in the comments but I haven't listened to them since Stuck on Snake's Way, but all I remember is that I wasn't a fan. Ephemeral is a great track and a great sort of follow-up to Through the Shadows, which were similarly compact and catchy with a downhill chorus that leaves you wanting more(in a good way), but it has an ascending, hopeful mood.

I only listened to the album once and need a couple more spins to see what I think of everything else. I don't see myself favoring it as much as Above the Weeping World, but I still like all of their albums.
27.04.2014 - 13:19
Rating: 9
Grind Magus
Weak Cunt
Great album (and possible album of the year for me) but still not as good as ATWW.
27.04.2014 - 15:05
Uldreth

Written by Erik M. on 25.04.2014 at 20:21

That username though...

Ouch, what did poor Blood Stain Child do to him?
27.04.2014 - 16:07
God Alone

Fairly enjoyable album, gets a bit tiresome/flat after a while - like any other Insomnium album I've heard. 6.5 for me.
28.04.2014 - 18:38
Fearmeister
Account deleted
This is basically Across the Dark part III.
28.04.2014 - 19:57
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Guest on 28.04.2014 at 18:38

Which one is Across The Dark II?
28.04.2014 - 20:05
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Fallen Ghost on 28.04.2014 at 19:57

One for Sorrow?
28.04.2014 - 20:47
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 28.04.2014 at 20:05

One for Sorrow?

Saying this album is that similar to OFS is a stretch, considerably more attention to detail here. It's weird that many people seem to overlook the new found mellowness... like they couldn't get over the fact there's not what they're looking for and slab it as "nothing new".
28.04.2014 - 23:20
Erik M.

Written by Uldreth on 27.04.2014 at 15:05

Ouch, what did poor Blood Stain Child do to him?

I don't know that band at all, but judging from what I see here it seems something I would hate as well. But that doesn't mean it's justified to hand out 1's. Hell, Lulu is probably the worst album I fully listened to and I still gave it a 2.
28.04.2014 - 23:22
Erik M.

Written by Risto on 28.04.2014 at 20:47

Saying this album is that similar to OFS is a stretch, considerably more attention to detail here. It's weird that many people seem to overlook the new found mellowness... like they couldn't get over the fact there's not what they're looking for and slab it as "nothing new".

Well, for what it's worth, to my ears this is pretty different from the debut and Above the Weeping World. But then in a negative way, because I like this one much less.
28.04.2014 - 23:40
Fearmeister
Account deleted

Its still a re-trend of the same ideas that they put forward with Across the Dark (which is an amazing album). However, if I want to listen to Across the Dark, I'll listen to Across the Dark.

I mean, the album begins in the EXACT same way as it did in Across the Dark and it begins in the EXACT same way as it did in One for Sorrow. Yea, the production values are better but who gives a shit. Songwriting wise, this is a sub-par version of One for Sorrow which is itself a sub-par version of Across the Dark.
28.04.2014 - 23:45
scaesura

Written by Guest on 28.04.2014 at 20:05

One for Sorrow?

Well... aside from the blastbeats in Black Heart Rebellion and The River, what exactly is new here, or different from anything on ATD? I cant hear anything. The ingredients are all entirely the same, despite the different production. They've always had mellowness, they've always had songs based almost entirely on the melody and a few riffs here and there. This just isnt nearly as good as ATD or ATWW. Better than OFS, but that's not saying a lot.

So:

Written by God Alone on 27.04.2014 at 16:07

Fairly enjoyable album, gets a bit tiresome/flat after a while - like any other Insomnium album I've heard. 6.5 for me.

Pretty much spot on.
29.04.2014 - 03:40
MechanisT
Account deleted
I think this is quite a downgrade in quality with regards to its predecessor. Sure, there are the odd attempts at some much needed variety but the delivery itself is half-decent at best. One For Sorrow had a note of consistency to it, a better game plan, a nicer execution, even if derivative as hell (then again, which Insomnium album isn't?).
Their weakest by some margin. Their sound is sadly becoming tiring and stale for me.
29.04.2014 - 08:01
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 28.04.2014 at 23:40

I mean, the album begins in the EXACT same way as it did in Across the Dark and it begins in the EXACT same way as it did in One for Sorrow. Yea, the production values are better but who gives a shit. Songwriting wise, this is a sub-par version of One for Sorrow which is itself a sub-par version of Across the Dark.

Written by scaesura on 28.04.2014 at 23:45

Well... aside from the blastbeats in Black Heart Rebellion and The River, what exactly is new here, or different from anything on ATD? I cant hear anything. The ingredients are all entirely the same, despite the different production. They've always had mellowness, they've always had songs based almost entirely on the melody and a few riffs here and there. This just isnt nearly as good as ATD or ATWW. Better than OFS, but that's not saying a lot.

It actually has a song that isn't even melodic death metal, and another one that's pretty damn close if there weren't prominent growls in the bridge. The title track strongly reminds me of Tiatmat's Wildhoney and that's unheard of in their previous material. It makes a bigger distinction between tracks than any other Insomnium record. It's a slight progression in sound, away from the dominating catchy lead guitar you hear all over their back-catalog.

Regarding how good the album is, I actually think this might be their second best, edging out STDIACD Remember I also think Construct is pretty much Dark Tranquillity's joint best, so I guess my taste is moving ahead with these bands' new albums.
30.04.2014 - 01:26
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
30.04.2014 - 09:15
Satyr73

Incredible album! Titanic sound! Perfect group! It's neat to the last note.
30.04.2014 - 14:07
Rating: 10
Wes

Personally, their best album since their debut. The guitarist from Omnium really ads something special. Of course most of the good parts of the album are his guitars, highly reminiscent of "Beyond". I think everything fits very well.
30.04.2014 - 18:44
FYA
Destroyer
One thing is sure in Insomnium - their albums are ALWAYS killer!
01.05.2014 - 11:58
Lethrokai

Honestly... I don't get the hype for this album.

It's alright, but most of the songs just seem to sound the same. It's a nice sound, I'll give them that, but it really starts to wear thin when you're hearing it all the way throughout the album.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
01.05.2014 - 15:51
Lucerna

I don't really see what's so special about this album. It sounds alright, but there's nothing in it that stands out or really draws my attention. It feels kind of like background metal to me. Nothing spectacular. I don't understand the hype either.
----
达到光亮之前我是个小龙 | Last.fm
02.05.2014 - 09:08
Soulhole

Really liking the guitars displayed here. Goes well with what Insomnium's done in the past. Solid material, but lacking somewhat. Kind of just sounds thrown together to me. I do like how they seem to have a more "crushing" guitar sound this go around.
02.05.2014 - 13:48
Xyanade

I don't understand people saying this album being exactly same with old ones, a few tracks like 4th and 7th really surprise me.
02.05.2014 - 14:55
MeloDeathViking

This is quickly becoming my favorite Insomnium album. In the last two days I've probably listened to it close to a dozen times and I'm still enjoying it more with each listen.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
02.05.2014 - 21:27
Sand

Written by Erik M. on 25.04.2014 at 20:21

That username though...

Hes giving 1es to all other top releases of this year so his Insomnium could be the boss of the list.
----
Non serviam
03.05.2014 - 00:39
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Looks like someone is getting reported...
03.05.2014 - 01:31
Rating: 7
Reaper_Redeemer

Weakest Insomnium album.

04.05.2014 - 00:40
Erik M.

Written by Sand on 02.05.2014 at 21:27

Hes giving 1es to all other top releases of this year so his Insomnium could be the boss of the list.

Yeah, what a loser.

Hits total: 52598 | This month: 49