Metal Storm logo
Awards Voting Now Closed

So this, the 10th Annual Metal Storm Awards, have come to pass.

The awards have continued to grow, with numerous categories surpassing 1000 votes cast, despite a lack of big name clout. For point of comparison, Therion was the biggest vote getter in our first ever awards, racking up 191 for Lemuria. In 2014 they barely would have cracked the Top 25. And that is only if Kvelertak doesn't score two more votes as I type this during the waning hours of the month. That is some growth.

While in general this lack of big names in many genres lead to some closer contests, as with each of the prior 9 editions, we also had the typical big name beat downs. Carcass racked up nearly 600 votes, nearly half cast in the Death Metal field. TesseracT also pulled nearly half the votes in Djent, thumping their competitors. Ever popular Amorphis exorcised Ghost B.C. by over 200 votes, and garnering a third of the vote in a busy Heavy/Melodic metal.

Conversely Orphaned Land won a relatively tight 20 vote victory over Finntroll in a strong Folk / Pagan / Viking cast, and Amaranthe for eeking out a "count the difference on your fingers" victory over Shining in Industrial/Cyber Metal. Congrats and hails to Gloryhammer for winning Best Debut.

Best Clandestine Cut was the newest, bestest, tightest race ever. How tight? Try a tie. Our first tie ever. Deception was winning by a paltry two votes over Pin-Up Went Down as I wrote this up with about an hour before voting closed and went down to the wire as a tie with 20 minutes to go. This has left me furiously typing and updating this piece so it's accurate. Maybe we can find the brick who voted for My Dying Bride to break the tie?

Earlier this year your humble narrator didn't have great things to say about the latest Megadeth? Looks like the Metal Storm masses found it equally limp, Burn!ing it with Biggest Letdown, with more than double the write-ins of second place "winner" Turisas.

And much to my surprise, Carcass Black Sabbath took Biggest Surprise for making an album that wasn't even remotely surprising. Not sure what y'all were expecting from them? Grind Zydeco? Death Doom Himalayan Throat Singing?

Check out all our winners here.

So 10 up, 10 down. Congratulations to our winners. But more importantly, congratulations to those fans who found new bands, and those bands who found new fans.
Posted: 01.03.2014 by BitterCOld

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 125   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 657 users
01.03.2014 - 00:08
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Lingua Mortis Orchestra 14 votes in Gothic/Symphonic category... Thats shocking. It is such a good and popular album.
01.03.2014 - 00:16
psykometal
A staff guy...
Damnit! Finally got a minute with some WiFi to jump on the Kindle to get all my votes in, and it closed while I was voting in Heavy. -_-
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

01.03.2014 - 00:20
pojechany

Why "Devin Townsend Project - The Retinal Circus" and "Devin Townsend - The Retinal Circus" are separated?
01.03.2014 - 00:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by pojechany on 01.03.2014 at 00:20

Why "Devin Townsend Project - The Retinal Circus" and "Devin Townsend - The Retinal Circus" are separated?

because we didn't have the clean up done and an astonishing number of voters cannot enter an artist and album title properly.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2014 - 01:19
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by BitterCOld on 01.03.2014 at 00:46

because we didn't have the clean up done and an astonishing number of voters cannot enter an artist and album title properly.

There's also that Devin's MS profile includes the work of The Devin Townsend Band and Devin Townsend Project, so in this specific case they should be counted.
01.03.2014 - 01:47
Darth Revan

Amon Amarth won melodeath... and got 5th place on most disappointing album. I suppose the melodeath scene was rather disappointing this year then.
01.03.2014 - 03:00
Diverge

Written by Hex_Omega on 01.03.2014 at 00:08

Lingua Mortis Orchestra 14 votes in Gothic/Symphonic category... Thats shocking. It is such a good and popular album.

Relative to the bands it was competing with, though... It's really not that much of a surprise.

As usual, none of the bands I vote for actually win the Award.
01.03.2014 - 03:19
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
I'm sorry, but Inquisition winning black metal is just sickening. Pure example of the sheeple en masse voting for bands out of popularity rather than on actual ability. I mean I could dig Obscure Verses For The Multiverse, don't get me wrong, but putting that against Carpe Noctem, Cult Of Fire, Wormlust, and Progenie Terrestre Pura...

Come the fuck on, guys. Seriously.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.03.2014 - 03:35
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.03.2014 at 03:19

I'm sorry, but Inquisition winning black metal is just sickening. Pure example of the sheeple en masse voting for bands out of popularity rather than on actual ability. I mean I could dig Obscure Verses For The Multiverse, don't get me wrong, but putting that against Carpe Noctem, Cult Of Fire, Wormlust, and Progenie Terrestre Pura...

Come the fuck on, guys. Seriously.

Couldn't agree more. PTP got my vote.
----

01.03.2014 - 03:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

I'm sorry, but Inquisition winning black metal is just sickening. Pure example of the sheeple en masse voting for bands out of popularity rather than on actual ability.

Of course. This is nothing new. The whole point of the awards is for the exposure of the lesser-known artists which are often many times better than their better known counterparts. There is no discernible relation between quality and popularity so just because a band won it doesn't mean that they are better, just better known
01.03.2014 - 04:00
Vombatus
Potorro
I think Inquisition winning is one of the least sickening things about the votes... coz if you look the amount of votes, they are quite equally distributed, Inquisiton (with only 16,18% of votes) ending up first coz they might be more popular than the rest (though I would not consider them a "popular" band by any means).

And all must be said, the BM was really tight this year in terms of quality with lots of great stuff, which was reflected in vote distribution.

Compare it to DM category, that is an aberration and very illustrative of the awards being purely popularity... goddamn Carcass got over 46% !! Holy shit, I thought people would realise that 6 or 7 of the other nominees are vastly superior and would somehow bring a little bit of competition (even if Carcass was bound to win anyway, not doubt, but not by such abysmal difference).
01.03.2014 - 04:22
Ismarmlp

Enshine best gothic/Symphonic? :S
01.03.2014 - 04:25
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by BitterCOld on 01.03.2014 at 00:46

Written by pojechany on 01.03.2014 at 00:20

Need an instructional video on how to copy and paste from the already written in write in votes.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.03.2014 - 04:36
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 01.03.2014 at 03:40

I'm sorry, but Inquisition winning black metal is just sickening. Pure example of the sheeple en masse voting for bands out of popularity rather than on actual ability.

Of course. This is nothing new.

It's nothing new, but this year it just seems that the popularity vote is a lot more intense than before. Really the only winning bands I can agree with are Kvelertak, The Ruins Of Beverast (although I preferred Station Dysthymia), and Avatarium (although I preferred Dark Buddha Rising).
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.03.2014 - 05:20
Rulatore

I'm just impressed by the winners... Carcass over any other in the death metal category ? This is sick.

Also, Amorphis winning the heavy metal category with Ghost in second. I want to puke, holy shit.

The others winners were terrible, almost all of them, but these two were the worse.
01.03.2014 - 06:23
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Rulatore on 01.03.2014 at 05:20

Also, Amorphis winning the heavy metal category with Ghost in second. I want to puke, holy shit.

The others winners were terrible, almost all of them, but these two were the worse.

Ghost winning would have been just as bad. Hell, Twilight of the Gods and Enforcer were far superior to Amorphis and Ghost.
----

01.03.2014 - 06:31
Rulatore

Written by psykometal on 01.03.2014 at 06:23

Written by Rulatore on 01.03.2014 at 05:20

Ghost winning would have been just as bad. Hell, Twilight of the Gods and Enforcer were far superior to Amorphis and Ghost.

That's what I wanted to say I personally thought that Satan was going to win, easily... how wrong I was
01.03.2014 - 07:36
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Inquisition won
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
01.03.2014 - 07:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Vombatus on 01.03.2014 at 04:00
Compare it to DM category, that is an aberration and very illustrative of the awards being purely popularity... goddamn Carcass got over 46% !! Holy shit, I thought people would realise that 6 or 7 of the other nominees are vastly superior and would somehow bring a little bit of competition (even if Carcass was bound to win anyway, not doubt, but not by such abysmal difference).

Thank you. It needed to be said... I actually think all the albums from that category are superior to Carcass (maybe not Revocation though). I honestly can't believe they even got nominated. This proves you that even between the staffers/elites that take part of the nominations... we still disagree immensely and few leave satisfied.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.03.2014 at 04:36
It's nothing new, but this year it just seems that the popularity vote is a lot more intense than before.

Nah, I disagree. It has always been this way and like Vombatus said: BM was actually one of the least offensive results considering how the votes are distributed. DM is by the the sickest example but still: Nothing irregular about this. My bet is that it looks this way to you because now you took part of the whole process... So everything looks awesome, right before leaving all the nominees and the fanboys come and do their work.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2014 - 07:42
MetalDoomMaster

Well, I'm still just butthurt that Abyssal wasn't an official entry haha. Although I didn't think Obscure Verses wasn't the best of the year, I think it was still quite good.
01.03.2014 - 08:53
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Can't believe Omnium Gatherum didn't win. Beyond was in the top 10 for half the year.
Anathema only won best dvd cause Devin Townsend and Nightwish got split each. Otherwise they would have been 2nd and 1st.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.03.2014 - 09:34
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Well, people whining related to favorites is same as every year. As JOOE quoted, "This is nothing new". We got to have to drink the pain and move on.

This year, popularity awfully exceeded over precious quality. Hell, many winners woudn't happy to see MS awards of 14 and they themselves know how drab their new record was. Some cats were as shocking as see ugly fat lady groping me while others were just fine enough.
01.03.2014 - 09:41
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.03.2014 at 04:36

Written by Guest on 01.03.2014 at 03:40

Of course. This is nothing new.

Avatarium (although I preferred Dark Buddha Rising).

Man, I voted for ETL and I'd like Dark Buddha. Now, seeing Black Sabbath over our picks is like some malnutritioned guy punched in our guts and looting us. We're fucking handcuffed over results.

Well, no worries. As I said, we should be mature idiot enough to drink the pain and move on. Let's see what 2014 has to offer us.
01.03.2014 - 11:18
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm surprised Avatarium won actually, but glad.

The only other two categories I'm pleased with are prog (Leprous) and sludge/stoner (Kylesa). Well deserved.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.03.2014 - 11:27
Kamil
Account deleted
I honestly think, that Industrial Cyber Metal results and MS users, who voted for main winner in this category should be in next episode of Shaqtin' A Fool
Shaq - I don't have any doubts you have found Javale McGee replacement
01.03.2014 - 12:44
Eternity'sChild

For me, it was the first time with the metalstorm awards and I have to say, that I didn't expect the winners to be mostly just the most popular bands/albums of the year. But I'm not complaining, because I found lots of great stuff I didn't knew about.
01.03.2014 - 12:52
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 01.03.2014 at 09:34

This year, popularity awfully exceeded over precious quality.

It happens every year

The weird thing is that new Korn album wasn't even nominated in Alternative category this year, while their previous album 'The Path Of Totality' which most people hate (on MS, just look at rating 5.5) actually Won in 2011 in Industrial/Cyber/Electronic category. James LaBrie, Karnivool, Blindead? Ok, good albums indeed, but Korn is for me the purest example of 'Alternative Metal'.
01.03.2014 - 12:59
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha, I agree about the surprise of Black Sabbath winning the biggest surprise award.
----
01.03.2014 - 13:25
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Kvelertak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01.03.2014 - 13:27
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by Ismarmlp on 01.03.2014 at 04:22

Enshine best gothic/Symphonic? :S

Of course!

Hits total: 8323 | This month: 28