Metal Storm logo
Awards Voting Now Closed

So this, the 10th Annual Metal Storm Awards, have come to pass.

The awards have continued to grow, with numerous categories surpassing 1000 votes cast, despite a lack of big name clout. For point of comparison, Therion was the biggest vote getter in our first ever awards, racking up 191 for Lemuria. In 2014 they barely would have cracked the Top 25. And that is only if Kvelertak doesn't score two more votes as I type this during the waning hours of the month. That is some growth.

While in general this lack of big names in many genres lead to some closer contests, as with each of the prior 9 editions, we also had the typical big name beat downs. Carcass racked up nearly 600 votes, nearly half cast in the Death Metal field. TesseracT also pulled nearly half the votes in Djent, thumping their competitors. Ever popular Amorphis exorcised Ghost B.C. by over 200 votes, and garnering a third of the vote in a busy Heavy/Melodic metal.

Conversely Orphaned Land won a relatively tight 20 vote victory over Finntroll in a strong Folk / Pagan / Viking cast, and Amaranthe for eeking out a "count the difference on your fingers" victory over Shining in Industrial/Cyber Metal. Congrats and hails to Gloryhammer for winning Best Debut.

Best Clandestine Cut was the newest, bestest, tightest race ever. How tight? Try a tie. Our first tie ever. Deception was winning by a paltry two votes over Pin-Up Went Down as I wrote this up with about an hour before voting closed and went down to the wire as a tie with 20 minutes to go. This has left me furiously typing and updating this piece so it's accurate. Maybe we can find the brick who voted for My Dying Bride to break the tie?

Earlier this year your humble narrator didn't have great things to say about the latest Megadeth? Looks like the Metal Storm masses found it equally limp, Burn!ing it with Biggest Letdown, with more than double the write-ins of second place "winner" Turisas.

And much to my surprise, Carcass Black Sabbath took Biggest Surprise for making an album that wasn't even remotely surprising. Not sure what y'all were expecting from them? Grind Zydeco? Death Doom Himalayan Throat Singing?

Check out all our winners here.

So 10 up, 10 down. Congratulations to our winners. But more importantly, congratulations to those fans who found new bands, and those bands who found new fans.
Posted: 01.03.2014 by BitterCOld

Comments page 3 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 125   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 657 users
02.03.2014 - 03:51
Darth Revan

Written by Lethrokai on 02.03.2014 at 03:31

Written by Schnabeltier 24 on 02.03.2014 at 01:13

Nothing for Haken and Gris

Some winners are strange (Inquisition, seriously, there has been so much good black albums this year...), but at least, thanks to this award, I listened to some bands I've ignored before.

SPOIL : Behemoth's The Satanist will be the best black album of 2014

Yup, and every album that is even near The Satanist on the Top List of 2014 will mysteriously start getting lower votes!

ADDITIONAL SPOILERS: Sonata Arctica are going to win most disappointing album for 2014. Because apparently this album is SUPPOSED to be a return to the style of their first albums, except it features slower songs and overly simplistic songwriting. I'm not gonna vote for it though personally, I didn't expect much to begin with after the last three disappointments...

Also, we're all forgetting one very important winner. The ass on the logo. Never before has an ass been so dramatic (By which I mean it got 5th place in the drama category).
02.03.2014 - 04:54
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Schnabeltier 24 on 02.03.2014 at 01:13

SPOIL : Behemoth's The Satanist will be the best black album of 2014

It may win out whatever it's nominated in, but it's not going to be in black metal. Not gonna let such bullshit transpire
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
02.03.2014 - 05:19
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.03.2014 at 04:54

It may win out whatever it's nominated in, but it's not going to be in black metal. Not gonna let such bullshit transpire

That's part of the joke. And don't worry, I think it's safe to assume that there is no way in hell The Satanist makes it into the final 10 of any of the genre cats.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

02.03.2014 - 08:10
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by psykometal on 02.03.2014 at 05:19

That's part of the joke. And don't worry, I think it's safe to assume that there is no way in hell The Satanist makes it into the final 10 of any of the genre cats.

It'll have its place in the write-in votes next year as well. Mark my words.
02.03.2014 - 09:05
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Alex F on 01.03.2014 at 16:50

Hey, nothing I voted for won! Awesome!

Me too!
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
02.03.2014 - 09:10
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Hex_Omega on 01.03.2014 at 12:52

The weird thing is that new Korn album wasn't even nominated in Alternative category this year, while their previous album 'The Path Of Totality' which most people hate (on MS, just look at rating 5.5) actually Won in 2011 in Industrial/Cyber/Electronic category.

Would that be the lowest rated winner in the award's history?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
02.03.2014 - 12:02
Svneatr
Vitharr
I would like to remind everybody that this is metal and that awards (while cool and fun to vote) are ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I enjoy voting and participating because it's a great way to find out about some cool albums that I may have missed. More popular albums from popular have a distinct edge but they don't win 100% of the time. The Carcass album was good. The Summoning album was good. That's really all there is to it.
02.03.2014 - 12:25
IronAngel

I got one right, and it's the one I cared least about (Enshine).

I went for Kayo Dot, Lychgate, Tribulation, Procession, Ataraxie, Mael Mórdha, Enshine, Atlantean Kodex, In Vain, Deafheaven (though in retrospect, I might pick Caladan Brood), Obscure Sphinx and Subrosa.
02.03.2014 - 12:38
Dinruth

Written by psykometal on 01.03.2014 at 23:26

Written by Dinruth on 01.03.2014 at 23:16

I wonder at what point of time MS staff have given up on taking comments after MS awards personally ^^ ... don't get me wrong .. I too have my moments of fanboyism, but people are soooo butthurt after the awards it's crazy

We never take any of the post-Awards bitching personally, or seriously.

good for you
02.03.2014 - 14:01
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by M C Vice on 02.03.2014 at 09:10

Written by Hex_Omega on 01.03.2014 at 12:52

The weird thing is that new Korn album wasn't even nominated in Alternative category this year, while their previous album 'The Path Of Totality' which most people hate (on MS, just look at rating 5.5) actually Won in 2011 in Industrial/Cyber/Electronic category.

Would that be the lowest rated winner in the award's history?

Yes
02.03.2014 - 17:05
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Monolithic on 02.03.2014 at 08:10

It'll have its place in the write-in votes next year as well. Mark my words.

Very true. But it's not win any categories.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

02.03.2014 - 17:50
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Amaranthe and Summoning were the only one I "guessed"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.03.2014 - 20:32
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Fanboys bitchin' again, I see.

To me MS awards is just an amusement. 2 albums I have voted for actually won, and I voted for 1 because I'm a fan of the band which album got nominated. It's not particularly fair, but then again, this is what the contest is really about.

I really don't give a sh#% who won and who didn't, because the albums I love the most are going to stay my faves. The only thing I saw as a minus was merging some genres together in the nominations categories and that actually some pretty cool stuff didn't even make it to the phase of being nominated. Also, I think everything the categories such as ''best dvd'' bla bla... are boring and meaningless. Older awards were much more fun Yippykayayay motha$#"#%!
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
02.03.2014 - 20:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by AnGina-- on 02.03.2014 at 20:32
Also, I think everything the categories such as ''best dvd'' bla bla... are boring and meaningless.

Hence they are just write-in nominations. Neither the staff/elite cares about it too much.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.03.2014 - 21:24
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.03.2014 at 20:40

Hence they are just write-in nominations. Neither the staff/elite cares about it too much.

That makes sesne nao

Also forgot to mention before, a big plus comes out of these awards - I usually check out some of the nominated albums, that didn't bother with before.

And as had been said before, the ''real award'' is just that, some bands/albums get more recognition and new fans.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
02.03.2014 - 22:21
erat

The Biggest Letdown is "Ashes of Ares" for me. Matt Barlow..
----
Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark,
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!
02.03.2014 - 23:42
theembryo

I just want to thanks MS for a fucking great site and all....... Have turned a lot of folks on to it who got ahold of a lot of kick-ass music they say they otherwise wouldn't have. Something else, but it got lost in my dementia place.......need to put on Avatarium again......
03.03.2014 - 01:16
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Yeah, some people are too much concerned about the awards end, when it's the awards event itself which deserves it.
Some people even delete their profile and stuff...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
03.03.2014 - 01:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 03.03.2014 at 01:16

Yeah, some people are too much concerned about the awards end, when it's the awards event itself which deserves it.

I personally look forward to the awards as people often throw their toys out the pram. This year was disappointing in that respect as no one really did.
03.03.2014 - 01:24
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 03.03.2014 at 01:20

I personally look forward to the awards as people often throw their toys out the pram. This year was disappointing in that respect as no one really did.

Well, it seems Neroese deleted his profile. Even warned it on the shoutbox that he would...
----
- Reimu Hakurei
03.03.2014 - 01:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 03.03.2014 at 01:24

Well, it seems Neroese deleted his profile. Even warned it on the shoutbox that he would...

Bah, he could have at least made a scene, and maybe a thread telling everyone he was going and that MS had gone downhill / betrayed him etc. Selfish git.
03.03.2014 - 02:16
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by deadone on 03.03.2014 at 01:59

People take this shit that seriously?
Madness.

I think it's relative...
It could also be that such reaction is serious for us, which are relatively assiduous members. But not such a serious matter for those who commit MSuicide, if they were here like once per week or less and didn't care very much...
----
- Reimu Hakurei
03.03.2014 - 02:41
BlueMobius
Account deleted
The 47 that voted Bölzer - Aura know in their hearts what was good last year
03.03.2014 - 02:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

Amazed at how big the margin was between Carcass (#1) and Gorguts (#2).

Fame factor doesn't seem to have come into it as Deicide, Kataklysm and Hypocrisy all got less than 10 votes:

That's because they were all write-in votes. Even Wintersun didn't make an impact last year with write-ins. Definitely popularity dominating death metal this year.
03.03.2014 - 03:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.03.2014 at 02:41

The 47 that voted Bölzer - Aura know in their hearts what was good last year

Pretty amazing amount of votes for a little EP from a band that no one had heard of in 2012. That shows true quality shining through.
03.03.2014 - 05:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Written by Karlabos on 03.03.2014 at 01:16

Mmm well Apothecary did
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.03.2014 - 05:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2014 at 05:28

Mmm well Apothecary did

Haha, yes he did a bit. Was't expecting the biggest emotional reaction to come from one of the staff. Ah, to be young again....
03.03.2014 - 08:58
Reverend X

Blessed be to all winners. Celebrate the day you receive the Metal Gospel of Metalstorm. May you continue to produce more riffs that we still haven't heard.
03.03.2014 - 09:05
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

Written by Karlabos on 03.03.2014 at 01:24

In Thrash I was surprised at no votes for Evile's Skull or Warbringer's Empires Collapse or Soulfly's Savages. I thought more people would've voted for these due to fame factor, even though I didn't like them and thought they were quite shit.

Was any choice left?

I think the thrash cat was very clear in sense of winner. Everyone was expecting DA's new album to be top of it. Well, if even you look to other records, they pretty much sucked from their predecessors(except Soulfly's Savages which was comparatively "decent"). We all know that how Thrash pathetically drilled in 13 and checking out new Death Angel album was somewhat pleasing to our ears.
03.03.2014 - 14:36
mz

Written by deadone on 03.03.2014 at 03:06

The thing that surprises me is that Gorguts and Ulcerate were both heavily discussed on just about every forum I went to (hell, on Terrorizer forum you'd think they were the only two Death Metal releases in 2013 or indeed ever because they were just about the only thing discussed!).

Hence I was expecting a more close race.

The heavy discussion on gorguts/ulcerate stems from not only their quality, but also from the fact that these bands are responsible for some of the most innovative DM records ever. These bands are still not so popular, but they (will) have great impact on death metal scene. I've seen many reviews about new ulcerate saying how much this record will contribute to the incarnation of new modern metal.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.

Hits total: 8350 | This month: 25