Metal Storm logo
Is Behemoth better known for their frontman?

Poll

Is Behemoth better known for the frontman, or for the band as a whole?

Band in its entirety
Frontman

Total votes: 85
18.01.2007 - 22:57
SexBloodandMetal
Account deleted
Okay, this may be a lame question. Also, this question can apply to any band. But sometimes when the topic is about Behemoth, I may talk more about Nergal than the band as a whole...
18.01.2007 - 23:05
chuckie
Account deleted
without inferno, behemoth would be pretty generic (save for nergals demonic vocals) but yeah, the rest of the band is good, i mean, Inferno in my opinion, his drumming is the core of each song.
18.01.2007 - 23:07
SexBloodandMetal
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.01.2007 at 23:05

without inferno, behemoth would be pretty generic (save for nergals demonic vocals) but yeah, the rest of the band is good, i mean, Inferno in my opinion, his drumming is the core of each song.

You make a good point. The drummers in extreme metal make up the brutal force that we so admire about it, percussion adds the brute force that makes our Metal extreme.
18.01.2007 - 23:12
chuckie
Account deleted
Exactly, then again Nergal's vocals are an important piece aswell, but would be nothing without the brutal drumming (Inferno's drumwork would probably overpower Nergals older Black Metal Style vocals lol)
19.01.2007 - 01:21
Eternal Flames

Yeah, I wouldn't really say that Behemoth is best known for the frontman. I find whenever I talk about Behemoth, I'm always mentioning Inferno on drums. His drumwork is just amazing. Now, Nergal does have quite good and unique vocals, but the rest of the band have a lot of input in the music. When I saw them live last year, Inferno and Orion were the members that I had my focus on most of the performance. Their skill just had me in awe.
19.01.2007 - 01:33
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Entire band for me. Early Behemoth specially was never about just the frontman personally speaking. Maybe the Death Metal stuff has more of Nergal instilled although even then it has a lot of other elements involved in it..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
19.01.2007 - 04:59
SexBloodandMetal
Account deleted
I like the points made in the thread guys.
21.01.2007 - 15:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Well, Nergal is the frontman AND the founding member of the band, so he is kind of the 'main' person. At least, in theory. But I am glad all the members have their input.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.01.2007 - 16:10
Richard

I think with most Death Metal bands, and certainly a band like Behemoth, it's very much a team effort. It's rare for a DM band to have a frontman who has the status of a 'rock star' and stands out from the band he's in. Maybe image is less important in DM than certain other genres, so the frontman blends in with the group instead of being a main focal point. DM probably isn't really a genre for groupies to lust after the singer like with other styles! So the frontman doesn't need to be the 'rock star' of the group who gets all the attention. The only exception I can think of at the moment is Deicide with Glen Benton.
----
21.01.2007 - 18:45
Hyvaarin

I think it's very much Nergal/Inferno. They almost have a Satyr/Frost thing going on there (looking at it through the eyes of someone who doesn't know too much about the band, keep in mind).
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
21.01.2007 - 22:27
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Quote:
Is Behemoth better known for the frontman, or for the band as a whole?

To idiots: The frontman
To intelligent people: The bands music.

Lock this thread please.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
22.01.2007 - 00:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 21.01.2007 at 16:10

I think with most Death Metal bands, and certainly a band like Behemoth, it's very much a team effort. It's rare for a DM band to have a frontman who has the status of a 'rock star' and stands out from the band he's in. Maybe image is less important in DM than certain other genres, so the frontman blends in with the group instead of being a main focal point. DM probably isn't really a genre for groupies to lust after the singer like with other styles! So the frontman doesn't need to be the 'rock star' of the group who gets all the attention. The only exception I can think of at the moment is Deicide with Glen Benton.

Isnt this tread simmilar like this
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=14

Ok I like only behemoth in early days when thay play BM and cant say much in this tread I like only those albums

1)All dermos
2)''And the Forests Dream Eternally''
3)''Sventevith (Storming Near The Baltic)''
4)''Grom''

Then I stop lsiten band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.01.2007 - 06:43
Richard

Written by Bad English on 22.01.2007 at 00:47

Ok I like only behemoth in early days when thay play BM and cant say much in this tread I like only those albums

1)All dermos
4)''Grom''

Then I stop lsiten band

This topic isn't just about Behemoth, but rather if the band is more well known for their frontman, and the question also applies to "any band". So on a broader scale, it's asking how Metal vocalists are perceived in comparison to the rest of the bandmembers... The singer in most genres of music is often the main focal point for the audience, so it's a point of debate whether this is also the case for a band like Behemoth. Hence my earlier post concerning how Death Metal vocalists don't usually stand out from the band as much as with many other genres.

For now, at least, I think this topic can stay open. But remember people, this thread is not just about if you like Behemoth or not.
----
22.01.2007 - 06:47
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Behemoth were good in early black metal era as well no doubt but the last album 'Demigod' kicks some serious ass. I love all the Behemoth albums , i prefer behemoth's new sound ... just my taste ehhhh

I voted for 'Band in its entirety' !
22.01.2007 - 08:23
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I agree with Richard with the fact that in death metal there is less important the existance of the "rock star", being the obvious exception Deicide, but I would say that also applies for Behemoth.

There are two different questions to be made: 1) it's behemoth what it is because of the frontman? and 2), the one who applies to this thread, if the band it particulary KNOWN because of the frontman. the answer to the first question is obviously no, because Behemoth are a whole machine with different important gearings, but the answer to the second question isn't that obvious. Behemoth obviously exploit the image of its charismatic frontman, he's obviously presented as the spearhead of the band and for people who, like me, aren't into Behemoth in a deeper way, the band is immediately associated with Nergal.

To conclude, Behemoth are not known for the frontman, but he had been obviously important to create the huge over-exposion of the band.
22.01.2007 - 12:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 22.01.2007 at 06:43

Written by Bad English on 22.01.2007 at 00:47

1)All dermos
4)''Grom''

Then I stop lsiten band

This topic isn't just about Behemoth, but rather if the band is more well known for their frontman, and the question also applies to "any band". So on a broader scale, it's asking how Metal vocalists are perceived in comparison to the rest of the bandmembers... The singer in most genres of music is often the main focal point for the audience, so it's a point of debate whether this is also the case for a band like Behemoth. Hence my earlier post concerning how Death Metal vocalists don't usually stand out from the band as much as with many other genres.

For now, at least, I think this topic can stay open. But remember people, this thread is not just about if you like Behemoth or not.

OK I see

About behemoth think no, because I listen early albums and its those medieval themes, song titles and atmosfere in BM what thay criate and I can imiagine how it locks if all what thay sing hepen in reality and still Balitc sea are here too
so imO its more know because of all band, musica nd lyrics

Leithe rhmm

abouit other BM same all what thay criate, atmosfere, lytics, mysticism and stufff, so not only front man

About Death metal well I like old school and it means letter jackets, hair and boots ups I mean booze

Front man hhaha its only in glam bands who has sexy singer, god voice and hair, and girls love it
----

apos;'
[image]
23.01.2007 - 02:15
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
You mean that there is other people playing in Behemoth apart from Nergal?
----
Christless
23.01.2007 - 12:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Darth Satanious on 23.01.2007 at 02:15

I thought you'rer banned?

Yes there are 2 or 3 otehr mamber sin bands too, if I corect understand you
----

apos;'
[image]
23.01.2007 - 15:52
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Bad English on 23.01.2007 at 12:43

Written by Darth Satanious on 23.01.2007 at 02:15

I thought you'rer banned?

Yes there are 2 or 3 otehr mamber sin bands too, if I corect understand you

Nah, I was playing asshole for a change.

Yes, I am banned. I cannot post, shout, rate albums, I can't do a thing. It just sucks so much not being able to say shit.
----
Christless
23.01.2007 - 16:10
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by Darth Satanious on 23.01.2007 at 15:52

Yes, I am banned. I cannot post, shout, rate albums, I can't do a thing. It just sucks so much not being able to say shit.

I know. I miss you.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
23.01.2007 - 16:19
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by -tom- on 23.01.2007 at 16:10

I know. I miss you.

Yeah dude, it is just so sad. *lukewarm and ungrim hug*
----
Christless
23.01.2007 - 22:00
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Darth Satanious on 23.01.2007 at 16:19

I know. I miss you.

Uhh. Am I missing the sarcasm here, or is just wrong? You post that you can't post..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.01.2007 - 22:21
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Lucas on 23.01.2007 at 22:00

Written by Darth Satanious on 23.01.2007 at 16:19

I know. I miss you.

Uhh. Am I missing the sarcasm here, or is just wrong? You post that you can't post..

Posting that I can't post, you say? How's that possible? I am banned so no posting. Now, I guess that I have to stop this off-topicness before my permissions for posting take even longer for being returned.

I forgot to say about this subject that, perhaps the band wouldn't be the same without the rest of the musicians; however, it is important to point out the Nergal has a crucial participation within the band for he is and is in charge of: "rhythm, lead and acoustic guitars, vocals, founder of the band, the only remaining member from the first line-up, main composer and author of most of the lyrics, manages Behemoth since day one".

The above is taken from the official website.
----
Christless
17.03.2007 - 21:58
spirit_inblack
harshhead
The band is better known for the band as a whole. Nergal isn't the only talented member of Behemoth. Inferno is one of the best extreme metal drummers that is out there and Orion is a really good bass player. Without the talent of Inferno and Orion, I likely wouldn't even listen to Behemoth.
25.10.2007 - 01:36
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
well, the question is pretty lame, but the band is better known in its entirity. nergal inferno, orion are all great at their instruments, and no one person makes behemoth wat it is today
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
25.10.2007 - 06:24
mankvill

I think Behemoth is much better known as Behemoth, not as "the guys with Nergal".
22.02.2008 - 20:34
NOИ

the frontman. Nergal is the band!
21.03.2008 - 14:42
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
I know this band for their great sound and not because one man...
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
21.03.2008 - 21:14
ß
Problem?
Id say the whole band.. everyone does their part in the band. Inferno is an amazing drummer and Orion is an excellent bassist they all have talent.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
21.03.2008 - 22:57
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
The entire band of course. All the members have an important role in the band.