Metal Storm logo
Power Metal 2014

08.03.2014 - 02:05
Darth Revan

2014 has just started, and there seems to be an influx of great power metal this year. Iron Savior released a truly great album with "Rise of the Hero", Gamma Ray's "Empire of the Undead", despite the ass ugly album cover, is looking better and better and I hear good things about Freedom Call's "Beyond". I feel this year has the making for some truly great power metal. But enough about me, what are YOU looking forward to?
08.03.2014 - 02:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Darth Revan on 08.03.2014 at 02:05

2014 has just started, and there seems to be an influx of great power metal this year. Iron Savior released a truly great album with "Rise of the Hero", Gamma Ray's "Empire of the Undead", despite the ass ugly album cover, is looking better and better and I hear good things about Freedom Call's "Beyond". I feel this year has the making for some truly great power metal. But enough about me, what are YOU looking forward to?

all Gamma Ray albums has same ''ugly'' covers
and nop those 2 are what I know s fat thanks to MS news
and nope I am not looking forvard (maybe Sabaton or Civil War , more CW as S ... but not so much, just little)
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.03.2014 - 03:24
Darth Revan

Written by Bad English on 08.03.2014 at 02:11

Written by Darth Revan on 08.03.2014 at 02:05

all Gamma Ray albums has same ''ugly'' covers
and nop those 2 are what I know s fat thanks to MS news
and nope I am not looking forvard (maybe Sabaton or Civil War , more CW as S ... but not so much, just little)

Noooooo... Gamma Ray covers are generally really cool. No World Order, Somewhere Out in Space... All very nice album covers. Empire of the Undead though? That digitized mummy staring at me is perhaps the ugliest thing I've seen in recent memory. Almost seems like they paid someone to draw something decent, but the guy had to drop out at the last minute and they needed to get a new cover before release... even though the release is only in 3 weeks.
08.03.2014 - 05:51
Void Eater
Account deleted
Persuader's new album is really good.
11.04.2014 - 11:55
keithandr1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbsjlutFbr0

EDITED: ETERNAL WINTER - Album Preview 2014
12.04.2014 - 21:25
DeathSlyzer

Axxis' new album Kingdom of The Night II is REALLY good! The songs are so catchy that I cannot resist singing along to pretty much every chorus. The vocals are just great, and done with style. And another cool thing about this album is that there's both a black and white edition, with different tracks. The black edition has the heavier and darker tracks, while the white one has the melodic and more beautiful songs. Get both, it's totally worth it! If you like catchy and somewhat poppy power metal, it's gonna be fine.
----
I sold my soul to any fool who'd buy it!
What's it gonna take to make you riot!?
20.04.2014 - 11:47
Patrick.

Written by DeathSlyzer on 12.04.2014 at 21:25

Axxis' new album Kingdom of The Night II is REALLY good! The songs are so catchy that I cannot resist singing along to pretty much every chorus. The vocals are just great, and done with style. And another cool thing about this album is that there's both a black and white edition, with different tracks. The black edition has the heavier and darker tracks, while the white one has the melodic and more beautiful songs. Get both, it's totally worth it! If you like catchy and somewhat poppy power metal, it's gonna be fine.

Agreed, they did not disappoint! At first I was a bit taken back by the fact that it wasn't as in-your-face like the previous few albums, but since this is meant to be a sequel of sorts to the debut, it does make sense. Also, the vocal melody in "Living In A Dream" must be one of those that have lifted me up the most this year (alongside Freedom Call's "Knights Of Taragon"). Some beautiful high-notes in that one!
20.04.2014 - 18:12
DeathSlyzer

Written by Patrick. on 20.04.2014 at 11:47

Agreed, they did not disappoint! At first I was a bit taken back by the fact that it wasn't as in-your-face like the previous few albums, but since this is meant to be a sequel of sorts to the debut, it does make sense. Also, the vocal melody in "Living In A Dream" must be one of those that have lifted me up the most this year (alongside Freedom Call's "Knights Of Taragon"). Some beautiful high-notes in that one!

Definitely man! You liked the new Freedom Call to huh? I can't say how much I agree with you on that one as well. "Knights of Taragon" has such a hooky vocal melody, and I would also say the same for "Among The Shadows" where he just soars in the chorus. Because of stuff like that, this year has been a fantastic year so far for power metal, in my opinion. It's also good to see that there are some new thrash stuff to look forward to, and prog as well. So I think this year is gonna be legen.......... Wait for it........ DARY!
----
22.04.2014 - 18:44
Patrick.

Written by DeathSlyzer on 20.04.2014 at 18:12

Definitely man! You liked the new Freedom Call to huh? I can't say how much I agree with you on that one as well. "Knights of Taragon" has such a hooky vocal melody, and I would also say the same for "Among The Shadows" where he just soars in the chorus. Because of stuff like that, this year has been a fantastic year so far for power metal, in my opinion. It's also good to see that there are some new thrash stuff to look forward to, and prog as well. So I think this year is gonna be legen.......... Wait for it........ DARY!

Yes, I really enjoy the new Freedom Call. I'm not all that familiar with the band, as I just discovered them with their previous album, Crimson Dawn. Compared to that one, good as it was, I'd say the new one is stronger and maybe slightly more serious (or not?).
This year does seem really great, though I haven't gotten around to most of those new high-profile releases yet.
23.05.2014 - 22:48
Leifur

You should all check out Noble Beast, an awesome new power metal band. Just found them two days ago and theyre already among my favourites. Theyre album is on youtube but you can also buy it on their home page.
24.05.2014 - 00:35
Wingtorte

Still catching up with some of last year's releases, but hoping to get around to new Iron Savior and Sabaton.

I'm also strangely interested in the new Grave Digger when it comes out. I have a weird relationship with them. I tried hard to get into them in my mid-teens since I knew a few folks who were fans, but they never seemed to "catch" with me. I've now tried a few times over the years to get into them and for some reason again it just never sticks. I only have their 2002 Masterpieces compilation, though, so maybe I should actually go out and pick up an early full-length so that I can sit down and have a proper listen instead of songs here and there or just compilations. I keep feeling as though I should be more into them than I am, maybe because I'm a fan of German speed/power metal more generally, I dunno. Maybe the new album will be a good opportunity for that.
02.06.2014 - 13:29
DeathSlyzer

Written by Wingtorte on 24.05.2014 at 00:35

Still catching up with some of last year's releases, but hoping to get around to new Iron Savior and Sabaton.

I'm also strangely interested in the new Grave Digger when it comes out. I have a weird relationship with them. I tried hard to get into them in my mid-teens since I knew a few folks who were fans, but they never seemed to "catch" with me. I've now tried a few times over the years to get into them and for some reason again it just never sticks. I only have their 2002 Masterpieces compilation, though, so maybe I should actually go out and pick up an early full-length so that I can sit down and have a proper listen instead of songs here and there or just compilations. I keep feeling as though I should be more into them than I am, maybe because I'm a fan of German speed/power metal more generally, I dunno. Maybe the new album will be a good opportunity for that.

I got more into Grave Digger about 2 years ago, and what got me into them was their 2009 album Ballads of A Hangman. I would definitely recommend that as a good starting point. I feel that the tracks on that album are very solid, and there isn't much "filler" material, like on some of their other albums. So I think that album would be something for you.

I just heard the single they dropped here the other day, and I can't say I'm all I liked that so much. I felt there was a lack of energy in the band, so I hope that song isn't too much of an indication on how the new album will sound.
----
05.06.2014 - 15:20
kaos666

Falconer's 'Black Moon Rising'. Been a long time fan, and it seems they are releasing an album that's actually power metal as opposed to the oddball that was 'Armod'.
05.06.2014 - 21:12
raveneffect

Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead
Sabaton - Heroes
Persuader - The Fiction Maze
Skyliner - Outsiders
Falconer - Black Moon Rising

So far, so good. I wouldnt say this is a particular GREAT year for Power Metal because every genre seems to be getting a handful of solid albums.
06.06.2014 - 11:29
raveneffect

Still have to give a better listen to Primal Fear's new one.

I didnt included Space Police because nowadays Edguy is way more AOR than Power Metal. On a larger scale I guess it could still count as PM but I just included what I belive to be the best of 2014 of the genre. All of those are 8s on my book and Space Police is a 7.
11.06.2014 - 18:15
R Lewis

Written by Leifur on 23.05.2014 at 22:48

You should all check out Noble Beast, an awesome new power metal band. Just found them two days ago and theyre already among my favourites. Theyre album is on youtube but you can also buy it on their home page.

Absolutely agree. Been listening to it a while on Bandcamp and it's such a stunning debut.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
13.06.2014 - 13:47
DeathSlyzer

On a side note, I've been listening a lot to the new Elvenking lately. I guess it isn't really PM, but rather a blend of that and folk metal. I would definitely recommend it to you guys, and I can definitely say that I liked that more than the new Falconer.
----
27.09.2014 - 04:09
Jordan_Heliosaga

Heliosaga is a power metal band with some thrashy and progessive elements. The album is available of Spotify and Xbox Music for free streaming. You can go to heliosaga.com to purchase digital and physical formats.

----
Like female-fronted power metal? Check out Heliosaga.
heliosaga.com
https://www.facebook.com/Heliosaga
Metal Storm review: http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=12934
14.12.2014 - 06:04
Ruchesko

Some quality power from the Orient.

29.12.2014 - 14:17
Infernal Eternal

Well, for me PM died in the late 90s/early 00s.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
11.01.2015 - 13:59
Nucky

I don't listen power metal much.. Helloween,Gamma Ray,Dream Evil,Primal Fear,Brainstorm,Stratovarius and stuff like that..
20.04.2015 - 14:07
Fisheth

Written by kaos666 on 05.06.2014 at 15:20

Falconer's 'Black Moon Rising'. Been a long time fan, and it seems they are releasing an album that's actually power metal as opposed to the oddball that was 'Armod'.

That was my surprise of the year. Absolutely love that album.

Anyone hear Stormwarrior's Thunder and Steele from last year? Came out in January. Pretty good start to a year.
03.09.2015 - 02:45
deswesher

What do you think pyramaze good on power metal , i dont love power metal much , blind guardian,hallowen,stratovarius just basic.
----
fullblackreviews.com
11.09.2015 - 16:32
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by deswesher on 03.09.2015 at 02:45

What do you think pyramaze good on power metal , i dont love power metal much , blind guardian,hallowen,stratovarius just basic.

Big fan of them, I love the new album. The keyboards really do it for me when it comes to Pyramaze, they are always interesting.