Poll

Which of these two do you prefer?

Dream Theater
Pain of Salvation

Total votes: 21
09.03.2014 - 00:37
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Easy question, theoretically. LOL. The eternal competiton between TWO best progressive metal bands out there: DT or PoS?
Judge of course based on their whole body of work.
These days I listen to PoS more than I listen to DT so my vote will be obvious at some point.
The Moore era DT remains my favorite, but then again, I'm an old fart and that's predictable.

Have fun, vote, but throw in an explanation.
09.03.2014 - 12:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Both are pretty week IMO and lame, Dt wa sok in old datys now both bands play boring and lame music, I am bored from those, Fates Warning is better.. sorry I better put on soem Dire Straits then those 2
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.03.2014 - 14:57
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 09.03.2014 at 12:55

Both are pretty week IMO and lame, Dt wa sok in old datys now both bands play boring and lame music, I am bored from those, Fates Warning is better.. sorry I better put on soem Dire Straits then those 2

why have you even bothered to post here, I know these two bands are not your kind of music. Totally pointless bashing from your part, no offense but i doubt you have the ability to understand the music of Pain of Salvation.
09.03.2014 - 19:24
fandango68

Hi John,

Thanks for the poll. I find this one a difficult one to call in some ways, but I have gone for DT, although with some reservations.

DT's earlier output, namely I&W, Awake, Metropolis & SDoIT are for me all 4.5/5 or 5/5 albums... they were truly innovative and stand the test of time. I though ToT was very good, and marked a slight change in that it was darker, heavier and more brooding. Since then however, I feel that although they have released highly enjoyable albums, they have adopted a 'treading water/ if it ain't broke' approach. Certainly I agree that no band can be innovative with each release, but I would expect some form of gradual evolution, which I don't feel we've had since ToT.

PoS released two highly innovative albums in Entropia & Concrete Lake... genuinely original & unique, before Element & Remedy, which are two of the finest PM albums ever likely to be written... edge of the seat stuff from beginning to end. BUT, I just couldn't 'get' Be at all.... my god, if there was ever an album I persevered with again and again before finally giving up on it, it was 'Be'. Scarsick was even worse; I actually HATED it.

So, I'm forced to choose between a lack of innovation or innovation in the wrong direction (for me)... so I've voted DT.
----
First gig was Manowar (loincloths 'n' all), Bristol Colston Hall in March 1983, on the 'Hail to England' tour. Tickets were £3.75, 300 in the audience, Mercyful Fate never showed, but my hearing still got seriously trashed..
09.03.2014 - 20:18
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I prefer Pain of Salvation more myself. I find their music to be more emotionally connecting and better structured than that of Dream Theater (there's only so many times I can listen to the members playing 3-4 minute dueling solos). I also think Daniel is superior to James vocal wise (no offense to James, just prefer Daniel a lot more). I even like their Road Salt albums a bit, not as much as their early work, but that's good that they are able to experiment and take the risk with that more 70s classic rock sound. Hope Daniel recovers from his skin disease soon.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
09.03.2014 - 21:39
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I don't think I'll be able to decide really

Both bands have released tremendous albums and also had less magic moments, to say the least. Also, both have faced significant line-up changes, which had influence on some records. Also, both bands have released albums very significant to the prog scene as a whole, The Perfect Element/Entropia, and Images And Words/ Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory.

Overall, it's very neck and neck for me. Two of my favourite bands, it's like choosing between your children.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.03.2014 - 22:41
LichBorne

Realy? this debate actually exist?
10.03.2014 - 22:51
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by LichBorne on 10.03.2014 at 22:41

it's not a debate, a simple poll I did for the fun of it. You take things way too seriously (I hope not though).
13.03.2014 - 20:13
LichBorne

Written by Guest on 10.03.2014 at 22:51

Written by LichBorne on 10.03.2014 at 22:41

it's not a debate, a simple poll I did for the fun of it. You take things way too seriously (I hope not though).

wow, dont even remember I posted this. xD I was wasted at the time... sorry
22.01.2015 - 06:56
Amy

This is like asking a mother to pick her favorite child. Dream Theater is a classic in Prog Metal but Pain of Salvation is unique and has a soulful side to them. How can I choose only one?
----
\m/
24.01.2015 - 06:47
Ganondox

Haven't really listened to enough Pain of Salvation, but I'm currently under the impression they are definitely better than Dream Theater. Dream Theater has too much aimless wankery, Pain of Salvation seems to be more real, also their vocalist is much better. Pretty much what Dentura said.
25.01.2015 - 06:49
ToMegaTherion

While i am a fan of both, PoS seem to be the more consistent, while DT at their best have produced some of my favourite albums of all time (even if they have fallen away significantly in the last 10 years or so).
My vote goes with DT, purely on the basis of Images and Words, and Metropolis Pt 2. Those two albums for me remain at the pinnacle of prog music as a whole. Right up there with Moving Pictures (Rush) - my favorite prog album of all time.
03.04.2015 - 16:24
Aristarchos

I really love the first two Dream Theater albums, but I am not a fan of any of Pain Of Salvation's albums, so the choice is for me easy.
04.04.2015 - 13:05
Warman
Erotic Stains
There's no competition for me. Dream Theater might be the best band of all time, so that's my vote. Never really gotten into Pain of Salvation but must admit that I suddenly got an urge to hear some again.
----