Metal Storm logo
Best Guitar Bodies?

Original post

Posted by Soliloquy, 19.01.2007 - 15:28
sorry, this is my first poll. still trying to figure out how stuff works....

anywho, this is the place for you to rant about certain shaps of certain guitars. or if you find nothing wrong with em, how do they compare to other guitars?

for example, since Strats are most common guitar shapes, say you pick that. now, name which you prefer. the Fendre strat, or the Ibanez strat(with more pointy horns). say why they are better than all the other guitars. and say what guitars you have and/or havent tried

for me: i'm still new to all this. i only have a strat that i've been playing for almost 2 years. i recently bought a guitar with a Les Paul body, and am dreading it! the les paul body is making it impossible for me to do solos on. the place where the neck/body meet is way too fat, preventing my thumb to support my fingers. no wonder you dont see that many metal lead guitarists with les pauls(excluding Slash and Buckethead). i have also tried a Jackson King V, and a Jackson Rhandy Roads and think they both are really comfortable guitars to play standing up, and sitting down. what i like about the V is that since its body is so different, it makes it so easy to reach the higher frets(after the 17th fret), as is the case with Rhandy Roads. how ever, one thing i dont like about the V is the place where they put their Jack(not all V's have their Jacks in the same spot!). if you're playing it while sitting down, its patch cord starts digging into you. thtas where the Rhandy Roads wins. but V's i found, to be lighter. so a lil give and take...

one thing i dont get is why V guitars(flying, king, or rhandy roads) are looked down upon by the rockers. they say that 'V guitars are for fake metalers'....i guess in taht case, Kerry King, Rhadny Roads, Alexi, Buckethead and others are all fake guitarists....

here are pictures of em if you havent seen em before:

Strat:
yes, ibanez does make strats. but they do not look like the Fendre/G&l strats. their horns are pointier. the fendre strats, first made in i believe the 1950's, and been widly used by tons and tons of guitarists. from Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, to Yngwie malmsteen, to John Pretucci to everyone. well, sort of. the fender starts come with a tremolo bridge, along with a whammy bar. how ever, other strats can come with Floyd Rose, or kahler, or Tune-o-matic etc bridges. the fendre guitar comes with 21 frets. others usually come with 22 frets or more. Ibanez comes with 24(i've seen 25, but pretty sure it was custom made). and the strats are usually found with 3 singel coil pickups. some companies like Peavey like to mix and match with 1 hum, 2 single.

Les Paul:
the dreaded weight of the guitar puts off a lot of guitarists. like me(not that i'm good). first made by Gibson around the same time as the Fender Strat, and therefore can be called a 'sister' to the original strat. these guitars are usually around 9 LBS. though, it isnt uncommon for them to be found to be heavier or lighter. for some reason, guitar companies that do make guitars with a les paul body refuse to make em with a floyd rose bridge. its rare to find one though. the les paul come with humbuckers. since the guitar body is so heavy, the neck bolt is usually ticker just so it can support the body weight. and that is why doing fast solos on les paul can be a lil tricky. not impossible though.

Flying V/King V:
came out in late 1950's by Gibson just to give a more 'futurist' look to its guitar. how ever, people werent impressed, and thus, Gibson withdrew the idea. in early 60's, Hendrix and a few others, started using V's, and then they quickly went back on the shelvs. other companies such as Jackson came out with their own V guitars known as King V. and then later, in the 80's came out with Rhandy Roads guitar. since the body of the guitar is is so unique, it alows the player to reach frets higher than 17 without having any troubles. that is not the case with the Les Paul guitars. and just that fact makes it easier for guitarists to sweep/shred or do whatever they want with their fret board

Beast:

Others(can be as fucked up as you want):

Warlock:
[img]http://images.google.ca/images?q=tbn:3ZKuM6bQlyVBVM:http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/7430/stevesmythe02000me.jpg[img]

Explorer:

Poll

What is your favorite guitar shape?

Strat
Les Paul
V(Flying, or King V)
Rhandy Roads
Warlock
Others
Beast
Explorer

Total votes: 54
13.06.2007 - 21:17
_Wotan_
I voted for Warlock, it is very comfortable to play (although I play bass) and it looks really nice (like some kind of double edge axe or something)
----
NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!
[center][/center]
15.06.2007 - 02:12
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
Written by Soliloquy on 20.01.2007 at 16:42

well, often enough, les pauls are used more as rhythm guitars. umm, i'm not sure, but i believe that IN FLAMES band uses one as a rhythm guitar. and tons of local bands around my area are also using les pauls as rhythm for metal, rock, jazz, funk or whatever they are into.

so les pauls can indeed be used for metal. its just not common for them to seen as lead guitars.

but just as you, Cursed, mentioned, and for similar reasons, i HATE BC RICH guitars. they look too tacky and flashy. some of their guitars look decent, but majority of them look like they are trying to make the guitarist look like a god, which he/she might not be. how ever, i wont mind getting a normal BC RICH guitar had their headstock been a bit different. even the head stock is fugly. or atleast that is my opinion.

but other than that, i'm thinking of getting a Coffin Case gig bag made by BC. RICH. its not TOO flashy, and its relativly cheap for a gig bag that can hold a rhandy roads guitar.

dude... did you just say les pauls are primarily used as RHYTHM guitars? (O_O) im not even going to bring slash into this.... lol oh wait, i just did... most the people i know who play les pauls play lead... lets refer back to the buckethead days of GnR... with all the dickheads on stage showboating and battling for their solo rights in the song, every single one of em had a les paul... i think every decent rock band of the 80s, and even some prior/after had a les paul guitarist shredding out solos... usually heroin addicts as well (O_o) i remember my neighbor once telling me he figured the les paul just had that tone the spike fiends found to be most appealing, because all the dopeheads he knew in music used les pauls.. but thats a whole other story, in my opinion... with the exception of angus young, most the SG users are rhythm players.... when i see a les paul, i think bluesy, searing solos.... im sure we all know who Zakk Wylde is..... nobody seen his trademark bullseye les paul?

as for my preference... as for being "flashy" and just having a "damn that looks sick" kind of guitar... i pick the warlock.... why? because i own one... why????? because i thought it was sick lol

second place goes to the retrofitted strat series... i have a schecter hellraiser that resembles that same series... the one ibanez and most other manufacturers have adopted... as for why i think those look better than strat ones do? the edges of both the bonding, and the points of the "horns" are rounded drastically in the strat models... ibanez is notorious for having completely square hunks of wood that basically undergo the shaping via a mitre saw.... and on some models, one edge that is sanded down for comfort of the picking arm.... i like it better like that, but i will never dust out the opportunity to own a real fender strat....

or of course, a real gibson les paul ;-)
15.06.2007 - 02:12
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
Written by Soliloquy on 20.01.2007 at 16:42

well, often enough, les pauls are used more as rhythm guitars. umm, i'm not sure, but i believe that IN FLAMES band uses one as a rhythm guitar. and tons of local bands around my area are also using les pauls as rhythm for metal, rock, jazz, funk or whatever they are into.

so les pauls can indeed be used for metal. its just not common for them to seen as lead guitars.

but just as you, Cursed, mentioned, and for similar reasons, i HATE BC RICH guitars. they look too tacky and flashy. some of their guitars look decent, but majority of them look like they are trying to make the guitarist look like a god, which he/she might not be. how ever, i wont mind getting a normal BC RICH guitar had their headstock been a bit different. even the head stock is fugly. or atleast that is my opinion.

but other than that, i'm thinking of getting a Coffin Case gig bag made by BC. RICH. its not TOO flashy, and its relativly cheap for a gig bag that can hold a rhandy roads guitar.

dude... did you just say les pauls are primarily used as RHYTHM guitars? (O_O) im not even going to bring slash into this.... lol oh wait, i just did... most the people i know who play les pauls play lead... lets refer back to the buckethead days of GnR... with all the dickheads on stage showboating and battling for their solo rights in the song, every single one of em had a les paul... i think every decent rock band of the 80s, and even some prior/after had a les paul guitarist shredding out solos... usually heroin addicts as well (O_o) i remember my neighbor once telling me he figured the les paul just had that tone the spike fiends found to be most appealing, because all the dopeheads he knew in music used les pauls.. but thats a whole other story, in my opinion... with the exception of angus young, most the SG users are rhythm players.... when i see a les paul, i think bluesy, searing solos.... im sure we all know who Zakk Wylde is..... nobody seen his trademark bullseye les paul?

as for my preference... as for being "flashy" and just having a "damn that looks sick" kind of guitar... i pick the warlock.... why? because i own one... why????? because i thought it was sick lol

second place goes to the retrofitted strat series... i have a schecter hellraiser that resembles that same series... the one ibanez and most other manufacturers have adopted... as for why i think those look better than strat ones do? the edges of both the bonding, and the points of the "horns" are rounded drastically in the strat models... ibanez is notorious for having completely square hunks of wood that basically undergo the shaping via a mitre saw.... and on some models, one edge that is sanded down for comfort of the picking arm.... i like it better like that, but i will never dust out the opportunity to own a real fender strat....

or of course, a real gibson les paul ;-)
15.06.2007 - 06:59
Soliloquy
dude...you didnt read everything i wrote.

i know buckethead, and zakk wylde(i wont consider slash as a metal guitarist. he doesnt shred/sweep all too much. not that thats a bad thing)....

but honestly, there really are more rhythm guitarists in any genre related to rock that use a les paul type guitars than lead guitarists. i'm not saying that they cant be used. i mean, take a look at buckethead(although i'm pretty sure he used a gibson flying V for his nottingham lace) and zakk wylde(he used a dean V/ML razorback for some of his solos on the latest ozzy and BLS albums). but it isnt all too easy

another guitarist is chris caffery who has an i think edwards les paul. maybe a gibson...but for the most part, he uses his jackson RR5 to shred on

besides, you honestly think that a les paul neck joint, weather a set-in, or a bolt on, is much easier to shred on(past the 17th fret) compared to...say a neckthru on any other guitar, or a set-in on dean or gibson V guitars? if you do, then either you have a really long thumb to wrap around the neck, or your fingers must be unusually long.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
15.06.2007 - 07:20
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
well depends on what you mean by shred... if you honestly plan on going down that far on the frets then yeah, a les paul isnt the best choice.. but for anything else, i dont think there is a better guitar for all around versatility than a les paul... i mean an SG probably does more for shredding, but the les paul just adds a little bit of class to a guitarists playing... the tone of one (being of shape and thickness) is bound to be a bit thicker than an SG, and its a more heavily built guitar... and as i said, the touch of class... its almost like bringing a can of caviar out with you... a les paul to me shows style and taste on a more "finer things" kind of level... ya know? just me though.... didnt mean to offend, but in all reality, many, and i mean MANY 80s rockers and even some 90s used les pauls for leads... just not searing ear piercing 24th fret leads... lol
15.06.2007 - 19:14
Soliloquy
its kinda weird actually now that you think about it. i mean, those les pauls from the 80's, when they wre brand new, they were being sold for 500-800 bucks back then. but if you grab the VERY same guitar from back then(regardless of if its been owned by 10 hands or not) it will be sold for over 2000 with ease.

the demand for les pauls went way high. but thats why companies like Edwards/PRS/Tokai/Dillion come in

i do like the sustain on les pauls. but those new-breed of les pauls known as the cloud 9, les paul ultra(epiphone), or some dillion les pauls that have a chambered body...makes you wonder if they can actually be called 'les pauls'? i mean, les pauls have been known for their weight, and how that adds to the tone. but if you chamber it out(not thin it like the ibanez s series...same wood, quarter of the weight) then it prolly would remove from the tone.

but at the same time, those PRS guitars came out with one of their SE modles that are made of mahagony top to bottom...yet that thing weighs less than any guitar ive tried that has an alder body. and that PRS guitar is not a chambered body either! wonder how they did that....peraps they are lying, coz i refuse to believe that that is actually made of mahogony:

this is the guitar. my friend just got it a month ago:

http://prsguitars.com/sestandard/index.html

dont like the pickups on it though.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
16.06.2007 - 00:52
WarlockDLX69
Account deleted
interesting... maybe they have larger cutouts for the hardware... less mass means less weight, and the guitar already looks really thin, whereas a les paul is pretty thick for an electric... plus you have to take into consideration the arched top, as well as the quality binding both on the neck and the body, their pickups are typically metal covered, which adds weight... the hardware seems a little more heavy duty than the PRS... bridges and whatnot... they are just better built guitars... and there is definitely something to be said about the quality/density of wood... 2 samples of different quality wood of the same breed of tree can have different weight/density characteristics... bolt ons will be heavier than neck throughs in some cases, and slightly less balanced... thickness of the neck itself can play a big key both in weight and in playability..

most of this im sure you already knew, but some of it you may not have considered in the distinction between them... consider all the reasons and you will see why (at least i believe) the les paul is a superior beast.
05.07.2007 - 00:51
Varegan
Hamranakara
les paul have the best sound. but there is a new kind B.C rich V called DRACO, I like that more.
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
09.10.2007 - 05:00
Veneror
Account deleted
I'm a drummer, but personally I think the F series ESP bodies are very nice. The Beast is nice too.
11.10.2007 - 02:53
Kharn
Account deleted
I should have voted explorer...seeing as i have a jackson kelly(Pretty much the same but cooler).

the thing about the kelly thoughis that it has 24 frets which makes it easier for higher note access and...i like the way it sits when i stand.

Great guitar
11.10.2007 - 08:35
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Warlock. but you see it too often though
otherwise Strat and V (because I own them)
13.10.2007 - 19:17
I picked the strat. My first 2 guitars were strat bodies. I still have them both, and love my Fender. It is such a comfortable body and it looks nice. I recently just purchased a SG Standard, and love the sound and playability, but I still like the Strat body better.
----
oderint dum metuant
13.10.2007 - 22:01
Tyrn_gorthad
Account deleted
anybody into the prs shape?
24.11.2008 - 22:43
Frankenchrist
RHOADS BABY!

i'd pick explorer as my second though
----
Blat Blat
25.11.2008 - 11:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Definitely Strat for me, every time I see a picture of an old beat up fender strat (more specifically in the hands of Fast Eddie Clarke) it just makes me want to pick up guitar. I really like blues-influenced metal & rock, and it seems the strat is a big choice for those types of players, so if I did start playing guitar, that would probably be my choice.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.11.2008 - 18:11
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Valentin B on 20.01.2007 at 13:08

I FUCKING HATE the flying v's, explorers and especially BC rich explorers(though the beasts look decent for me). they just look tasteless. brandishing one on stage(for me) is like saying "i'm such a trve metal god i've got these custom made by edward scissor hands!!"
i like the les paul shape. while it certainly isn't "metal" i really really like it. never tested one but i plan on getting a epiphone goth or standard les paul in the near future(1-2 years).
momentarily i have a strat(not a fender/squier), and i can reach all frets, it's very light, but off-balance.
i don't like the shape of the les paul guitar in soliloquy's first post, but i do like very much this one: http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-i97022.music
so les paul gets my vote, although i hate early models, as they look like a bad combination between a guitar and a cello(like the one in the video for animals-house of the rising sun and some rock n roll bands videos in the 60s, including beatles)

heh, just like i said, i planned on getting a new guitar, specifically the Epiphone Goth Les Paul. i wanted that one, but couldn't find a good deal on one, so i had to settle for this one. it's from the same series, and i'm pretty damn satisfied with it. it's playability is WAY above my old Strat(which i sold), i can easily reach any fret i want to, but it's pretty heavy, with the neck weighing a bit too much. other than that it's a good purchase(the pickups might need a little more bite but that's not my prime interest right now )
05.12.2008 - 23:09
Berfones
Warlock for me (since I bought one last week...)
I like most B.C Rich guitar bodies so it was a good fight between the beast and the warlock, don't like the V though...
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
15.12.2008 - 09:30
combaticus12
Account deleted
Well as far as guitars from the list go, I love the Explorer. It has a style that you can just rock out to, and from what I've experienced, they play pretty well. But based on my own personal playing style, I prefer the Schecter C1 Elite. It has a pretty classic look and I love the way it plays. They're great for rocking out some metalcore.
24.12.2008 - 05:52
Roshaff
Well,I'm in love with Ibanez guitars many years now.I own 2 RGs for the moment-a 6string and a 7string Prestige.
What can I say,Ibies are the hottest looking guitars for me personally.My girls are always jealous when see with how much love I treat them :):)
Soon I'm going for 2 more and guess what brand I'm going for...
Yes,good guess fellows! :)
Well,Ibanez are definitely my favorite guitars because of the great designs and great sound but I also like many other brands
Gibsons...Honestly,they probably the best guitars ever made.I also like them very much
24.12.2008 - 10:03
thesabbathfan
Whenever i see a V guitar it always reminds me of spears and other weaponry, which is awesome

so yea I voted V
----
31.12.2008 - 08:18
Hellmouth
Account deleted
V's, specifically this one.

I also adore the Ibanez Xiphos shape.
26.01.2009 - 14:46
caveman666
Account deleted
Thats a kick ass guitar