‹‹ Back to the General metal forum Pages: 1 2 [3]
Users visited: 143  
Search this topic:  
Do you actually listen to "classic" albums?

Often30
Sometimes26
Rarely13
Never5

Total votes: 74

The original post

Posted by deadone on 14.03.2014 at 07:07
There's a couple of things I've noticed on here and other forums:

1. New albums are invariably compared to old "classic" albums by the same band.

2. People jump in to post such mindless little things as "awesome 10/10" in posts about classic albums.

Now that makes me ask a couple of questions.

Question 1

When people compare a new album with an old classic, how long has it been since they listened to the classic?

Obviously stating "New Album Y doesn't compare to the classic Album X" seems a bit daft if someone hasn't listened to classic Album X in years and can only vaguely remember it.

Question 2

Do some people simply go "classic Album X is awesome" because it is a classic album? Do they feel they need to state they like an album simply as to not go against the grain?

And all of this leads to:

Question 3: How often do you listen to the "classics"?

And some real life anecdotes from my dodgy metal travels. In typical Deadone style, they are only loosely tied to the topic.

1. Knew a dude who claimed to love certain classics by bands ala Kreator. He could not tell the difference between Pleasure To Kill and Extreme Aggression.

2. A supposed Metallica fan mistook Megadeth's A Tout Le Monde for Metallica.

Page 3 of 3

JohnDoe

25.03.2014 at 14:26
Quote:
Quote:

I dunno, but I think band stay longer, they somehow make fan base, and make some music
Muse is example, band what is not metal, even it plays good muisc it is not metal., dont fits into traditional genres
speed, thrash, power, heavy, death, black, doom, gothic, prog , glam, hard rock (what is not metal BTW)

many mussicans would choose such Muse way as stay in metal and play and besides many ppl who play, whole UK pub bands ..some might like Iron maiden, some hmm slayer, metallica but mainly bands wpaly such genres what is more alternative, and so on

and I ate that terme true metal as manowar say ... men whit big arnie arms, trained as I dunno ,
I like true metal, only manowar is true
I like raditional heavy: running wild, mp, omen, samson, ... I like also black metal, venom, merciful fate, when you try argie its not black , ppl get pissed and delete you from frinds LOL when you say black is mayne, immortal, bla bla,. they no they are not true
I hate such elitism, sticking in one genre doesnt make you super true

I did not understand much of what you wrote.
----
"what happens in my subconscious is not my business"
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Fuck

25.03.2014 at 14:38
Written by Bad English on 25.03.2014 at 14:21

Muse is example, band what is not metal, even it plays good muisc it is not metal., dont fits into traditional genres
speed, thrash, power, heavy, death, black, doom, gothic, prog , glam, hard rock (what is not metal BTW)

then why the hell did you mentione Muse? We were talking about metal here and not about bands that play the sort of music Muse does and they have never played anything even close to metal. They are more like a mix of Radiohead and Electric Light Orchestra for me. So I wouldnt even think of mentioning them on a metal forum.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Fallen Ghost

25.03.2014 at 15:24
Written by Fritillaria on 25.03.2014 at 12:34

Written by Fallen Ghost on 23.03.2014 at 02:25

Why's that? Cannot agree on that

When you'll know of classics and listen to them you would know how it all began, some of the classics are the finest examples of the genres, some are not, but classics train your ears to distinguish the finest sounds, I never ran to a metalhead that haven't heard classics and cannot grow a mature taste for metal. That's what I think and it's not alwayst right.

Not quite seeing your point. I do very very rarely listen to classics, does it mean that I don't have a mature taste for metal? To me, classics is not defined by the finest sounds either
----
"Even we don't know anything about theory and stuff....but this is a combination of lydian mode and phrygian dominant...and ends with a diminished run starting on F"

- Fredrik Åkesson, guitarplayer of Opeth
Fallen Ghost

25.03.2014 at 15:29
Written by Bad English on 25.03.2014 at 12:42
otherwise if you say your insipration is hmmmm modern band, you wont be so good as band and wont get true and real metalhead attention and be more modern teenager band who change mind when new drug is in town

That's Bullshit. Opeth is one of my greatest inspirations when making music, and so is other "newer" bands. Opeth is inspired by older stuffs, so if my music is inspired by them, does it make my music sound like a teenager band? Would be boring if every band just based their influences on the same old bands
----
"Even we don't know anything about theory and stuff....but this is a combination of lydian mode and phrygian dominant...and ends with a diminished run starting on F"

- Fredrik Åkesson, guitarplayer of Opeth
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Fuck

25.03.2014 at 15:38
Written by Fallen Ghost on 25.03.2014 at 15:29

Written by Bad English on 25.03.2014 at 12:42
otherwise if you say your insipration is hmmmm modern band, you wont be so good as band and wont get true and real metalhead attention and be more modern teenager band who change mind when new drug is in town

That's Bullshit. Opeth is one of my greatest inspirations when making music, and so is other "newer" bands. Opeth is inspired by older stuffs, so if my music is inspired by them, does it make my music sound like a teenager band? Would be boring if every band just based their influences on the same old bands

Opeth is inded a band that has released what I would call modern clasic metal albums.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Cynic Metalhead
Atrocious Virgin

25.03.2014 at 15:58
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.03.2014 at 13:32

Written by JohnDoe on 25.03.2014 at 13:20

What you said makes little sense.
You also sound like a bit of a poser: "true bands" - wtf is that?, "real metalheads" - what is that?

Whereas a real metalhead is for me someone who is willing to give all subgenres and eras of metal a fair chance and isn't stuck in the past, but who does have a firm grasp of the history of metal and does know the old classics as well as the modern classics.

I've met loads of old people who're in 60's and 70's, wear new band t-shirts and still go to gigs and have really good fun. On the other side, there're oldies who created that mental block or impression that the new albums should be judged on the basis of parameters of records released in 70's, 80's or 90's. These kinda annoying oldies doesnt have anything to whine about except to say "yeah, good album but doesn't have spark of 80's style", "well, it's purely ripped off of *insert any band of 80's, 90's* and not decent enough".

Look, I'm not blaming any oldies out here. My point across the table is people should be open to new talent, taste, originality and music they incorporate in their musical style. Otherwise, today's generation will create a mental block of future metal scene. And people will follow this chain.
----
Silent Jay

25.03.2014 at 16:13
I listen to the classics all the time. They are great for kicking off a long listening session of new stuff as well as rounding things off. I haven't put any on today but after a largely Post-Metal morning and afternoon i'm feeling a bit of 'Leprosy' and/or some early Obituary.
Fritillaria
Evil Butterfly

25.03.2014 at 19:24
Written by Fallen Ghost on 25.03.2014 at 15:24

Not quite seeing your point. I do very very rarely listen to classics, does it mean that I don't have a mature taste for metal? To me, classics is not defined by the finest sounds either

I didn't mean to sound like an asshole stuck in 80s or 70s or any other specific eras, just saying it would give a kind of more grasp and knowledge about your fav music if you listen to classics as much as you listen to non-classics , actually in case you're any interested to know more of your fav music.

As I said it was what I thought, it might be wrong anyway but I THINK some of the classics were the finest examples of the genres.

For example : those who don't know of the classics such as deep purple's albums or similar bands/albums and never checked them out, then they would never know that Heritage by Opeth is pretty a bad repetitive rip-off of classic progressive rock sound, and such people may even consider that album by Opeth as a great new stuff, I hope I gave a good example and it would make sense.

I personally check out many new sounds and some of them turned out my fav bands, so I have nothing against new non-classics.

Moreover I so agree with this, what Marcel said in previous page :

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.03.2014 at 13:30

Even though classic albums are of importance that does not mean bands shouldn't take inspiration from newer forms of metal. IN about twenty years some albums which were made in this decade will also be considered as part of the classic albums cannon, I am 100% sure of that. Classic metal albums aren't only limited to the late 60s, 70s and 80s. Hell, the 90s have already delivered some classic metal albums as will the 00s and 10s and 20s etc. Only with time can we say which albums released in today's day and age and not inspired by the old classics will be deemd classic.
----
Soundtrack of my life : Evil Dead
"He replies that he is stronger than the wolves, because he stands alone."
john_mcc

26.03.2014 at 05:48
I voted that I listen to classic albums rarely since I mostly listen to albums that I have acquired recently, which is not necessarily the same as albums that were released recently but they usually are fairly new. Every so often I will feel an urgent need to listen to some blast from the past or sometimes just reach for something that is going to be reliably good. Whatever it is it is likely to be something that I have not listened to in ages. Classic albums are always better if you haven't heard them in ages.

What I struggle to understand are those people who have never listened to albums that the Metal community, their peers and sometimes even the members of their favourite bands have hailed as "classic" in some way. Not even once. It's so easy to do these days with almost every album by almost everyone uploaded in it's entirity to Youtube. Click, click, click and away you go, and click again to stop the awful racket if it then turns out to not be quite as great as everyone else says it is. No more having to actually buy it (or have a friend who did) to find that out.
ToMegaTherion

30.03.2014 at 14:07
Often classic albums are classic for a reason (not always) but generally speaking they are worth going back to from time to time. Metallica Master of Puppter is one of a few example. Megadeth Rust in Peace. Anthrax had a couple as well in the late 80s as well as a few from Iron Maiden and Judas Priest that I revisit pretty regularly.
----
- Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of man, even
when nature has long emancipated them from devine guidance (naturaliter
maiorennes), nevertheless gladly remain enslaved for life.-
Immanuel Kant

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Login or register to post here.