Metal Storm logo
Arch Enemy - Angela Gossow Leaves, Announce New Singer

Plot twist! April Fools'? It appears not. Surprising news arrive now from the Arch Enemy camp as it's been revealed that Angela Gossow has left the band. The announcement will come as a huge shock to many fans given that they recently announced their new album, and though Angela will be staying on with the band in a managerial capacity, she is officially stepping down as singer after 13 years and six albums. Replacing her in the AE fold will be none other than ex-The Agonist Alissa White-Gluz.

Angela Gossow says in a statement: "Dear Arch Enemy fans, this is not easy to tell you... f I have decided to step down from being Arch Enemy's voice of anger. After 13 years of pure fucking metal, six studio albums and countless tours through five continents, I feel the need to enter a different phase in my life, be with my family and pursue other interests. I will however remain business manager for Arch Enemy, and I will continue to develop my artist management roster. I am staying true to my heavy metal roots, just leaving the spotlight so to speak. I am passing the torch to the super talented Alissa White-Gluz, whom I've known as a dear friend and a superb vocalist for many years. I always thought she deserved a chance to shine - and now she's getting it. Just like I got that chance back in 2001."

"I want to thank all Arch Enemy fans, our labels Century Media (worldwide) and Trooper Entertainment (Japan), our dedicated road crew, and in particular Michael, Daniel and Sharlee for their love and support throughout all these years. It's been one hell of a ride! We conquered every situation, made it through thick & thin together in the most exciting and rewarding time of my life. Thank you all for being there with me on stage, in front of the stage, and backstage. You have touched my heart, and I hope I was able to give something back to you. I am grateful for the wonderful memories - I will cherish them forever! I am looking forward to the next decade of Arch Enemy madness! Right now I am listening through rough mixes of the new studio album and I am blown away! 2014 will see a renewed Arch Enemy at the top of their game. I am proud to be part of this Arch Enemy chapter, albeit in a different way - revving up the engines behind the scenes. I hope to see you in front of the stage; I will join you there this time. Let the killing begin, once again!"

"I am very honoured and happy to announce a new chapter in my life and musical career," adds Canada-born Alissa. "Wages Of Sin was the first metal album I ever bought, and it was love at first listen. It is not often that you get a phone call from your favorite band asking you to join! I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with such amazingly talented musicians whom I also consider great friends. I look forward to being able to write and perform at a whole new level now with Arch Enemy ! Music is forever, metal is limitless and this is only the beginning!"

Chief song-writer and band leader Michael Amott comments: "We are eternally grateful to Angela for all her passion, hard work and talent. Her legacy is tremendous and will always be a big part of the band's history. We feel great pride in what has been achieved in the past, but also look forward to new battles and new victories. We welcome Alissa with open arms - and we hope you will have open ears. We might have just created our most wicked metal opus yet with our upcoming album War Eternal!"

On March 20th, Arch Enemy will present the video for the album's title track, "War Eternal". Stay tuned for that.

[Also thanks to JD and DaMaGeR for sending in this news!]

Source: centurymedia.com
Band profile: Arch Enemy
Posted: 17.03.2014 by bokimaniac

Comments page 3 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 91   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 638 users
18.03.2014 - 12:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Seems odd for me considering Anthems of Rebellion was my first ever foray into more "extreme" metal, but in reality their last two albums were extremely poor, so it really can't get any worse.
18.03.2014 - 12:42
angel.
Evil Butterfly
^^ The entire band hot ? None of the guys in this band are even close to being hot
----
The Fangirl.
18.03.2014 - 12:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by angel. on 18.03.2014 at 12:42

^^ The entire band hot ? None of the guys in this band are even close to being hot

Sharlee would like a word with you...

18.03.2014 - 13:00
psykometal
A staff guy...
Pssh. Chris and Daniel were always the cute ones.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

18.03.2014 - 13:01
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Guest on 17.03.2014 at 22:50

Written by BloodTears on 17.03.2014 at 20:53

I'm still processing it. Arch Enemy without Angela Gossow... Yes, it's difficult to assimilate. Some people didn't like her for many reasons, but I always did like her and saw myself in her.

Anyway... excuse me while I go listen to Wages Of Sin now and cry.

Yeah, I am with you on this one. Arch Enemy may not be my favorite band, but I always believed Angela was the strongest member and her voice is massive. I guess the new album can only tell, but right now I have this feeling that it will end up with a similar outcome as Anette trying to fill Tarja's shoes in Nightwish so to speak.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that she was the strongest member but certainly was very important. Michael is probably the only irreplaceable member. We'll see. I guess I'll get used to it like it happens so many times with bands. But this is a big change and that new album better be good!

I was also disappointed when Christopher Amott left (again) because I really liked the dynamics between him and his brother. We'll see how Nick Cordle will fit into that as well. This band is a question mark for me right now.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.03.2014 - 13:01
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by psykometal on 18.03.2014 at 13:00

Pssh. Chris and Daniel were always the cute ones.

True that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.03.2014 - 13:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I really don't know what to make of this news. The fact that Michael felt he had to go for another female vocalist makes me think that he just sees it as a gimmick to sell more albums, rather than it being for the actual good of the band musically. Say what you want about Angela, but her vocals on the first couple of AE albums especially, were amazing, and this new girl has a lot to live up to in that regard. In all honesty, I wish that if Angela had to leave, that Johan Liiva would have been brought back, though that was always extremely unlikely to happen. The band have been deteriorating in quality lately, and I'm just hoping that this turn of events isn't the final nail in their coffin, but I'm definitely sceptical for the moment that they can turn things around.

I haven't heard The Agonist, so I have no idea whether Alissa is a worthy replacement or not, but I am worried for the band's future more than ever now. As for "hotness" within the band, Michael and Sharlee definitely take that honour! lol
18.03.2014 - 13:36
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Guest on 18.03.2014 at 12:48

Sharlee would like a word with you...

Oh !!! I so approve ! I'm off to real world to have a word with him
----
The Fangirl.
18.03.2014 - 14:50
Sean 79

Written by Angelic Storm on 18.03.2014 at 13:33

I really don't know what to make of this news. The fact that Michael felt he had to go for another female vocalist makes me think that he just sees it as a gimmick to sell more albums, rather than it being for the actual good of the band musically. Say what you want about Angela, but her vocals on the first couple of AE albums especially, were amazing, and this new girl has a lot to live up to in that regard. In all honesty, I wish that if Angela had to leave, that Johan Liiva would have been brought back, though that was always extremely unlikely to happen. The band have been deteriorating in quality lately, and I'm just hoping that this turn of events isn't the final nail in their coffin, but I'm definitely sceptical for the moment that they can turn things around.

I haven't heard The Agonist, so I have no idea whether Alissa is a worthy replacement or not, but I am worried for the band's future more than ever now. As for "hotness" within the band, Michael and Sharlee definitely take that honour! lol

Agreed. I'd go as far as saying they've reduced Angela's role in the the band to a gimmick. When she joined first that was people's perception, till they heard her on Wages.... and realised she was the real deal. I don't know The Agonist, I just had a quick look to see what this chick sounds like, and sure she can scream ok but I'm sure they could of found someone closer to home with her abilities. It all reeks of fear of not making as much money if brought in a male singer.
As for all the hotness comments FUCK OFF!!!!!
18.03.2014 - 14:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Good riddance to the overhyped overrated shemale marketing trick. But am sure the music still won't take a turn for the better. They haven't been able to write a decent tune for ages now.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2014 - 17:21
Ruchesko

Must say, I'm impressed they didn't draft in a Swede or Dutchwoman.
Or Fabio Lione.
18.03.2014 - 18:30
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by zturgeon on 18.03.2014 at 05:42

At least she's hot!

Well this is probably the stupidest thing I've read on MS in a really long time (since about the time I stopped reading K7's comments)
18.03.2014 - 20:40
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
My only response to the reactions this news has generated.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
18.03.2014 - 21:05
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Strangely after having listened to Alissa's voice I take it as good news for the next Eternal War album, at least it will bring something new...
----
18.03.2014 - 23:37
EnigmaLake

Written by Coconut Racecar on 18.03.2014 at 17:20

This spells nothing but bad news for me... The Agonist is a great band, but I prefer The Agonist as The Agonist and not in Arch Enemy. I get the feeling we'll be hearing some clean vocals on the next Arch Enemy album and although I have no problems with clean vocals I would definitely have a problem with them in Arch Enemy, so... Hopefully Alissa stays true to Arch Enemy form and doesn't muck things up.

Clean vocals have been in Arch Enemy
19.03.2014 - 00:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Sean 79 on 18.03.2014 at 14:50
Agreed. I'd go as far as saying they've reduced Angela's role in the the band to a gimmick. When she joined first that was people's perception, till they heard her on Wages.... and realised she was the real deal. I don't know The Agonist, I just had a quick look to see what this chick sounds like, and sure she can scream ok but I'm sure they could of found someone closer to home with her abilities. It all reeks of fear of not making as much money if brought in a male singer.
As for all the hotness comments FUCK OFF!!!!!

Well, apparently the reason why Johan was fired was because he "had no stage presence", so it seemed to me as if Johan was fired and Angela was hired solely for image reasons. That makes her hiring a gimmick, regardless of how great an album Wages was, or her solid performance on it.

I do feel as if a male replacement was never even a consideration for Michael, because he seems to be more interested in the band's image and commercial popularity than the actual music at this point.

About the hotness comments, I can only agree. The physical "attractiveness" of band members has squat to do with the music, but I guess if anything, it shows that males can be just as superficial as females when it comes to "liking" band members more for their looks, than their creativity. Making out Alissa is "better" than Angela simply because she is supposedly "hotter" is just ridiculous.
19.03.2014 - 00:56
Ruchesko

Written by Angelic Storm on 19.03.2014 at 00:18

I do feel as if a male replacement was never even a consideration for Michael, because he seems to be more interested in the band's image and commercial popularity than the actual music at this point.

I'm not sure image and commercial appeal is really a factor at this point. I mean sure, when Angie was hired in late 2000, female frontwomen were very much the fashion, so your gimmick argument has some basis, but after 14 years of success as a female-fronted melodeath act, why mess with the formula.
19.03.2014 - 01:03
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Guest on 18.03.2014 at 12:34

Doesn't this imply that you now find the entire band hot? (nothing wrong with that though, though I always found Michael Amott kinda funny looking)

Nah I don't pay much attention to dudes looks, and the AE guys look quite average typical-metalhead-style. But yeah, among female metal vocalists I think Alissa is among the best looking (and fuck those "uh uh all those comments about hottness are wrong" coz the band clearly plays the hottness card as a center role of their image as they are incapable of staying relevant from a musical point of view), so I won't be grossed out each time I think of the band
19.03.2014 - 02:55
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Ruchesko on 19.03.2014 at 00:56

but after 14 years of success as a female-fronted melodeath act, why mess with the formula.

The most apt speculation for why another female instead of going back to a male yet.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

19.03.2014 - 03:00
h.max

This is a shocking yet interesting news. I am just wondering what will be of The Agonist now that they lost their vocalist...
19.03.2014 - 03:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I'm not sure image and commercial appeal is really a factor at this point. I mean sure, when Angie was hired in late 2000, female frontwomen were very much the fashion, so your gimmick argument has some basis, but after 14 years of success as a female-fronted melodeath act, why mess with the formula.

It's not like Arch Enemy are like Nightwish, where the core sound of the band was built around female specific vocals. Angela, particularly on her earlier recordings with AE really sounded no different to a male melodeath vocalist. In fact, a lot of people who heard Wages without knowing the vocalist was female, assumed that the vocalist was male. lol Not to mention the fact that the original vocalist of the band was male. So it is totally an image thing, especially now. Getting a male vocalist would not really change the sound of the band in any meaningful, or significant way, so it would only change "the formula" in a purely cosmetic sense. So the only "need" to have a female vocalist in AE is for image and commercial appeal.
19.03.2014 - 07:32
Reverend X

One thing I've noticed with female metal vocalist is that they tend to go slow or retire when they get older.
19.03.2014 - 07:56
Stunning Cactus

For those who have not heard The Agonist, listen to their song "Thank You, Pain". Alissa is an absolute MONSTER, and she even does some killer cleans. I have no doubt that she'll be an excellent replacement for Angela.

Long live Arch Enemy!
19.03.2014 - 08:47
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by EnigmaLake on 18.03.2014 at 23:37

Written by Coconut Racecar on 18.03.2014 at 17:20

This spells nothing but bad news for me... The Agonist is a great band, but I prefer The Agonist as The Agonist and not in Arch Enemy. I get the feeling we'll be hearing some clean vocals on the next Arch Enemy album and although I have no problems with clean vocals I would definitely have a problem with them in Arch Enemy, so... Hopefully Alissa stays true to Arch Enemy form and doesn't muck things up.

Clean vocals have been in Arch Enemy

They were done by Chris Ammot, who's not there anymore either. I'd like to see some varied vocals from them. If all they use Alyssa for is grows (got 1 Agonist album, can't remember if she growls or not) then it's a waste of a versatile vocalist.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
19.03.2014 - 08:53
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Angelic Storm on 19.03.2014 at 03:18

It's not like Arch Enemy are like Nightwish, where the core sound of the band was built around female specific vocals. Angela, particularly on her earlier recordings with AE really sounded no different to a male melodeath vocalist. In fact, a lot of people who heard Wages without knowing the vocalist was female, assumed that the vocalist was male. lol Not to mention the fact that the original vocalist of the band was male. So it is totally an image thing, especially now. Getting a male vocalist would not really change the sound of the band in any meaningful, or significant way, so it would only change "the formula" in a purely cosmetic sense. So the only "need" to have a female vocalist in AE is for image and commercial appeal.

Maybe Alyssa is the same size as Gossow, so they can reuse her stage clothes?
Or maybe it's as simple as when Gossow said she was leaving, the band asked one of their friends if they wanted to replace her. Since the announcements were so close together (same day, wasn't it?) I suspect it was all planed out before either band announced it.
----
19.03.2014 - 09:32
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by M C Vice on 19.03.2014 at 08:53
Maybe Alyssa is the same size as Gossow, so they can reuse her stage clothes?
Or maybe it's as simple as when Gossow said she was leaving, the band asked one of their friends if they wanted to replace her. Since the announcements were so close together (same day, wasn't it?) I suspect it was all planed out before either band announced it.

No matter how the change actually came about, I still think it is very likely the case that Michael wouldn't have even considered the possibility of recruiting a male vocalist at this point in the band's career. I could be wrong about that, but I doubt it. I think he is very concerned with the band's image, and how they come across to mainstream audiences. It's not the fact that the band recruited another female vocalist on it's own, which makes this a very contrived move of course, but the fact that Michael most likely now sees having a female frontperson as the only option for the band, which makes it contrived.
19.03.2014 - 11:23
Ruchesko

Written by Angelic Storm on 19.03.2014 at 09:32

No matter how the change actually came about, I still think it is very likely the case that Michael wouldn't have even considered the possibility of recruiting a male vocalist at this point in the band's career. I could be wrong about that, but I doubt it. I think he is very concerned with the band's image, and how they come across to mainstream audiences. It's not the fact that the band recruited another female vocalist on it's own, which makes this a very contrived move of course, but the fact that Michael most likely now sees having a female frontperson as the only option for the band, which makes it contrived.

You seem to be taking real issue with this. Yes, hiring Alyssa makes very good commercial sense for AE: she's recognisable to non-death fans like myself thanks to her guest-spots with Kamelot & Delain (that one Nightwish gig with Elize probably didn't hurt either) and it helps maintain Arch Enemy's distinct status as a female-fronted death metal act. But given how crowded and competitive the metal market is, especially the death scene, can you blame a band for wanting to hang on to as many trademarks as they can?
19.03.2014 - 11:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ruchesko on 19.03.2014 at 11:23

You seem to be taking real issue with this. Yes, hiring Alyssa makes very good commercial sense for AE: she's recognisable to non-death fans like myself thanks to her guest-spots with Kamelot & Delain (that one Nightwish gig with Elize probably didn't hurt either) and it helps maintain Arch Enemy's distinct status as a female-fronted death metal act. But given how crowded and competitive the metal market is, especially the death scene, can you blame a band for wanting to hang on to as many trademarks as they can?

I'm not taking any more issue with it than you are taking issue with my outlook on it. You're choosing to keep this conversation alive, which only proves my point.

All those things you're mentioning should be total non-issues. The gender of the person fronting a band should be a non-issue. If it is an issue (unless you're a band like Nightwish, for whom distinct female vocals are part of the band's core sound), then it's only due to image, and commercial factors, and nothing else. And all I am doing, is stating that fact. You're taking issue with my opinion, when everything you're saying only reinforces the point I was making all along.
19.03.2014 - 13:09
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2014 at 14:53

Good riddance to the overhyped overrated shemale marketing trick. But am sure the music still won't take a turn for the better. They haven't been able to write a decent tune for ages now.

I was expecting you sooner.
----
19.03.2014 - 15:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by deadone on 19.03.2014 at 13:27

And Sinister had a female vocalists at roughly the same time AE did it. And they were a "proper" death metal band.

Acrostichon had one in the early Nineties and were proper detah metal as well plus Corinne wasn't a marketing trick since she also played the bass and sounded way more extreme than Angela could ever wish to sound. Btw Rachel of Sinister also sounded way more extreme than Angela, same goes for Derketa's Sharon and Mythic's Dana, although those two bands were doom/death and not totally proper death but are way more death than Arche Enemy with Angela ever was. And both are also from the early Nineties so way before Angela.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 8757 | This month: 11