Metal Storm logo
Megadeth's Worst Album

Poll

In your Oppinion, What is Megadeths Worst Album?

Risk
The World Needs a Hero
United Ambitions
Other
The System has Failed
Cryptic Writings

Total votes: 185
20.01.2007 - 01:46
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, as Awsome as Megadeth is they have also made some real crap in their day as well, as Much as I hate to say it there are some Loads and Reloads in Megadeths Discography. Now don't get me Wrong, I love these guys, but some of the albums they've made.......*Shiver.* When I heard the Song "Almost Honest" For the first time I though they were trying to do Beach rock. But My Vote still goes to Risk, because I used to own this album and I have to say it was one of the most disapointing listening experiences of my life. Now in my oppinion, "the System has failed" is not a bad album at all, in my eyes it is sort of a Redeeming point. The Song "Kick the Chair" I think even feels kinda thrashy, the solo definitly is. But I realize that some may feel that this is merely a continuance of their downward spiral. I have yet to hear United abominations but I have High hopes for it. I put other up because I realize that to some people even Killing is My Business could be considered their worst (Though they'd have to be on Acid :p ) and while I like the album Youthanasia, I could see someone voting it down as well.

Anyway, what do you think?
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
20.01.2007 - 02:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I don't see how anyone could prefer Risk over any other Megadeth album. Megadeth fucking rule, but Risk is a piece of shit. When I first heard Breadline I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. From my understanding, Risk was mostly written by Ellefsen and Friedman, who pressured Dave to put their songs on a Megadeth album. That's what Dave said in an interview that I read a while ago, but I don't know if it's true or not.

I think that this thread is going to piss me off because I just know that some jackass will vote other and say that an album like Rust in Peace, Peace Sells, or any of their other albums not on the poll is their worst, when those albums are obviously full of metal awesomness. Shall be interesting...
20.01.2007 - 03:59
Daru Jericho

I once came across a girl who claimed Risk was her favourite album.

I really disliked that album. They changed their style but for the worse. A more radio commercial sound that sounded forcend and out of character, even when you did not compare it with their back catalogue. I'm glad they got back on track eventually. 'Crush 'Em' was a terrible track. The lyrics were even worse. I don't understand why 'Prince Of Darkness' even makes it to their live setlists. The only good thing about it is the frontcover (of the re-release I think?) with the mouse and the cat because it suits the 'risk' theme so very well. It's even been my display picture on MSN (years ago, mind you), despite my lack of love for the release itself.

I predict most of the people will say Risk. Damn, that album was aptly named.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

20.01.2007 - 04:25
Eternal Flames

I'll definitely have to say Risk. In my opinion, that was the only weak Megadeth album. The rest were decent albums, but Risk was just a huge disappointment for me. The music was very very simple, leaning more towards the rock/electronica sound. It just didn't appeal to me I suppose.

I haven't heard the new Megadeth album though, but when I saw them live last year, they did play a new song off it entitled "Washington Is Next" which didn't sound too bad. Seems like it will have a sound similar to The System Has Failed.
20.01.2007 - 09:25
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Daru Jericho on 20.01.2007 at 03:59

I predict most of the people will say Risk. Damn, that album was aptly named.

So far your prediction was correct
And about it being Aptly named, that reminds me. The other day I was watching My Megadeth DVD "the Arsenal of Megadeth" and it got to the part where it showed an advertisement for the album risk. I Though the Exact same thing. "They were taking a Big RISK by releasing that album"
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

20.01.2007 - 18:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hmm worts album I neve rthink about it but IMO next 3 after Youthonasia, because thay isnt so good how thay was earlyer and last album, so I even cant choose, I shood think about it but I never like ''RISK'' ''Cryptic Writings'' and ''The World Needs A Hero'' specely ''World Needs A Hero'' so ...
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.01.2007 - 20:33
APOHAKC
The Bard
I really wanted to find some qualyties on Risk album but I never made it, I like World Needs A Hero, there are some very good songs on that album, Crypting Writtings is shit but there are some averange songs, The System has failed is relativly new album so I don't want to rate it yet (I like to rate some album after 5 or more years ), but Risk is shit over shits, I don't like even one song from this album, they all suck! Only album dissapointed me more that Risk was Metallica's St.Anger, but I am not a big fan of Metallica so I don't give a fuck. I listend Risk millions of time, and nothing happens, boring middle rhytm songs, Michael Jackson can take them
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
22.01.2007 - 21:34
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Is United Ambitions their new one? I tried finding information on it, but to no avail...

I voted for Risk...
22.01.2007 - 22:42
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I voted for The World Needs A Hero, because I don't like a single song from it... ok, overall Risk can be worse, a few songs on that album are just ridicously bad, but I still love the first two tracks and play them sometimes...
22.01.2007 - 23:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 22.01.2007 at 22:42

I voted for The World Needs A Hero, because I don't like a single song from it... ok, overall Risk can be worse, a few songs on that album are just ridicously bad, but I still love the first two tracks and play them sometimes...

I agree I only like return to hanger 18, but otherwiese ist ehhh money waste
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.01.2007 - 23:43
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Return to Hangar sounds good, but that song annoys the hell out of me because it's just them copying themselves. It's like they're saying they don't know how to write a song anymore, so they'll just reuse old material.
26.01.2007 - 00:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Frankly, I don't own a single one of those albums, nor have I even heard any, so my vote is skewed.

I would go for "Countdown to Extinction."

Sure, it might be gold compared to "Risk", if that album is as bad as you say it is, but as a Megadeth fan back in the late 80's, "Countdown" was a huge disappointment, about on par with Metallica's "Black Album."

Both were, at the time, bands I really loved. Both had come off great albums... "Rust in Peace" is fantastic through and through (outside of the vocals for "Master of Five Magicks", which sound an awful lot like "thigh master" - a cheesy exercise device Suzanne Somers pimped) and while "... And Justice..." had some boring moments that sort of trudged along, it had a bunch of absolutely great songs.

Frankly, "Countdown" left the same taste that "Black Album" did. To try and be clever and borrow from MegaDave, they tasted like "ashes in my mouth."

"CtE" was just BORING compared to "RiP"...

While not the commercial juggernaut that the Black Album was, "CtE" was still on nonstop - (oh how I hate "Sweating Bullets")

And both for Megadeth and Metallica, their next album would be the last I bought of either artist. "Youthanasia" (from what I recall) was probably worse than "CtE", but after the huge letdown that "CtE" was, I wasn't expecting much, so I wasn't nearly as disappointed.

Looks like, based on the albums listed above all following the last two I purchased, implying they are even worse, I picked the right time to stop buying new Megadeth (and Metallica) albums and instead just enjoy the older ones I already had.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.01.2007 - 01:18
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Bitter Cold: I don't think that Countdown was that bad really. I mean, in comparison to albums before it, it's nothing, but it's still a good album in my oppinion. While the beginning of their downfall, it's still not really their downfall in my eyes. I actually like the black album by the way. But Megadeth's two newest albums are great, they are reminisent of the rip days imo, or maby closer to countdown, but either way not bad. By the way, Rust In Peace is my favorite MD Album
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

26.01.2007 - 01:52
APOHAKC
The Bard
@Bitter Cold , it is from great importance to respect other people opinions, it will probably very strange to you that I like Countdown maybe more then all Megadeth albums, but when you listened Megadeth I probably wasn't even born, Countdown was first Megadeth album I listened and maybe because of that I like it so much, my father also hate Countdown and we will never stop arguing about that. I like all songs from this album but I can understand why you don't like him it is different then previous albums, but I am sure that I like Countdown more than black album not only because I heard it first
----
26.01.2007 - 16:14
bucky01403
Account deleted
Voted other, dont own Cryptic Writings, Risk, or United Abominations. Out of the ones I do own, I would go with Countdown to Extinction, or Youthanasia as my least favorite.
31.01.2007 - 13:28
marillionfan
Account deleted
I don't have any problems with any of the albums you listed. I don't know United Abominations.
02.02.2007 - 16:39
MeGaDeTh_fReAk

i love Megadeth and i really love all their albums and risk isnt that bad not the best album frm them but its not that bad!.....and i wouldnt call it my fav. coz its not...but anyway Dave RUlezz!!!
08.02.2007 - 05:19
TheRealThing
Account deleted
Risk obviously.

Every single song on the album is weak and unworthy of listening to. Friedman kinda sullied his reputation on that one, as I read somewhere that he wrote most of that album.

Other than Risk, I never considered any Megadeth album bad.
08.02.2007 - 20:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by APOHAKC on 26.01.2007 at 01:52

@Bitter Cold , it is from great importance to respect other people opinions, it will probably very strange to you that I like Countdown maybe more then all Megadeth albums.

I can respect your opinoin, and even see why you like that album even if I disagree.

It's all a matter of perspective and timing. "countdown" was your first Megadeth album, so I can see why it would be your favorite. Back in 1986 a friend loaned me "Peace Sells" on tape... my introduction to the band was 'Wake up dead' - which is still my favorite Megadeth album and probably my favorite song (Hangar 18 is close) to this day.

I also think that perhaps it is easier to accept sub-par albums (or perhaps albums that signal an abrupt change in direction - which "CtE" was - would be a better way to put it) going backwards in time rather than forwards. There isn't the build up, the wait, the hype, and quite the emotional investment in acquiring a back catalog as there is waiting for the new album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.02.2007 - 00:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
I have absolutely no idea. Can't decide, and I actually like Risk . Can't say that there are that many hits on So Far, So Good...So What? though.
----
09.02.2007 - 02:25
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Warman: You Like RISK?! Oh well, to each man his own I suppose.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

09.02.2007 - 19:10
APOHAKC
The Bard
It is hard to believ that someone really like that album but it is good that we are not all the same.
----
11.02.2007 - 22:21
Mariela.
Account deleted
Risk is just soo boring...I think i only liked one song at that album..so i'll have to vote for Risk =/
11.02.2007 - 22:33
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha, I've only listened through it once ... but I remebered it to be kinda catchy!
----
16.03.2007 - 14:33
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Haha Bitter COld, I completely agree with your first post - and by completely I mean 25-50%. The only 80s Megadeth I've heard is Peace Sells (the song) and I think that is pretty much awesome 80s metal. I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest. Recently I started trying to dl Risk to see if it really was so bad, and I've found yes, it really is bad, so I would probably vote for that but I haven't heard Cryptic or Hero.

More recently I've been downloading most of COUNTDOWN and I find it AMAZINGLY DISAPPOINTING. The only songs to really get me hooked so far are Ashes and Dirt (and even that took a while to grow on me). I cannot understand by any means how Symphony of Destruction is such a revered song, it sounds so average! And yes, the vocals of Sweating Bullets make me cringe in pain too. Why Mustaine, why?!

System I am ashamed to have an attachment to... It was the first album of theirs I started downloading and I know it's very average but it's really grown on me. So many of its riffs get stuck in my head =\ I was also reading the lyrics about a week ago and some are pretty damn bad but some I quite liked...
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
16.03.2007 - 15:54
Opium
Account deleted
Having heard all their albums, I'd say "Risk", it disappointed me, to the point that I hate Megadeth for releasing such an atrocity. It lacked in all aspects, unlike all their other albums, which had at least some substance and I could enjoy them to some degree, unlike "Risk".
16.03.2007 - 23:37
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Syk on 16.03.2007 at 14:33

System I am ashamed to have an attachment to... It was the first album of theirs I started downloading and I know it's very average but it's really grown on me. So many of its riffs get stuck in my head =\ I was also reading the lyrics about a week ago and some are pretty damn bad but some I quite liked...

Hey man I don't blame you, System is a good album. It was like their return to their roots, though by no means meets the same greatness as Rust in peace or Peace Sells.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

19.03.2007 - 04:42
Thrash666

Written by Dangerboner on 20.01.2007 at 02:27

I don't see how anyone could prefer Risk over any other Megadeth album. Megadeth fucking rule, but Risk is a piece of shit. When I first heard Breadline I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. From my understanding, Risk was mostly written by Ellefsen and Friedman, who pressured Dave to put their songs on a Megadeth album. That's what Dave said in an interview that I read a while ago, but I don't know if it's true or not.

I think that this thread is going to piss me off because I just know that some jackass will vote other and say that an album like Rust in Peace, Peace Sells, or any of their other albums not on the poll is their worst, when those albums are obviously full of metal awesomness. Shall be interesting...

Risk shouldn't even be called a Megadeth album its so bad. And yeah if anyone says one of their classics is the worst and would listen 2 Risk instead, first they need to get kicked in the fuckin head and secondly they aren't real Megadeth fans
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
26.07.2007 - 17:22
Infurnace

"Risk" is their worst album ever, pure shit. It's like a poppy kind of album. Really big mistake.
10.08.2007 - 07:16
selken
Irreligious
Risk is worse than Load and ReLoad, such a waste of money, I even don't know where the fuck is that disc in my house.
----