Metal Storm logo
Megadeth's Worst Album

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 20.01.2007 - 01:46
Well, as Awsome as Megadeth is they have also made some real crap in their day as well, as Much as I hate to say it there are some Loads and Reloads in Megadeths Discography. Now don't get me Wrong, I love these guys, but some of the albums they've made.......*Shiver.* When I heard the Song "Almost Honest" For the first time I though they were trying to do Beach rock. But My Vote still goes to Risk, because I used to own this album and I have to say it was one of the most disapointing listening experiences of my life. Now in my oppinion, "the System has failed" is not a bad album at all, in my eyes it is sort of a Redeeming point. The Song "Kick the Chair" I think even feels kinda thrashy, the solo definitly is. But I realize that some may feel that this is merely a continuance of their downward spiral. I have yet to hear United abominations but I have High hopes for it. I put other up because I realize that to some people even Killing is My Business could be considered their worst (Though they'd have to be on Acid :p ) and while I like the album Youthanasia, I could see someone voting it down as well.

Anyway, what do you think?

Poll

In your Oppinion, What is Megadeths Worst Album?

Risk
The World Needs a Hero
United Ambitions
Other
The System has Failed
Cryptic Writings

Total votes: 185
05.10.2008 - 16:42
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 27.09.2008 at 15:20

Risk was the first Megadeth i listen to. Thats why i dont like them.

lol. Well, just try their album "Rust In Peace." If you're into creative riffs and innovative Lyrisism, then it's a great MD album. The best imo.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
13.10.2008 - 17:16
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
risk pure crap i hate it:maniac:
27.10.2009 - 23:58
Razorback

For me it's endgame,their last album,i was disappointed with lyrics,and little bit with music,still it's ok album but not as old albums.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
28.10.2009 - 01:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Though I do think "Endgame" was rushed in places, it's really between "Risk" and "The World Needs A Hero". Seeing as they are the only albums that contain filler tracks. It's tough, but I'm gonna go with "The World....", because it contains my least liked Megadeth track "Losing My Senses", and the blatant "Am I Evil" rip-off of "When"!
28.10.2009 - 03:14
Brave

A lot of people dislike Risk me too. "The World Needs a Hero"'s "Dread and the Fugitive Mind" ies best on that album
28.10.2009 - 03:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Brave on 28.10.2009 at 03:14

A lot of people dislike Risk me too. "The World Needs a Hero"'s "Dread and the Fugitive Mind" ies best on that album

I dunno...it is a great song. I especially love Al Pitrelli's solo on it!

"1000 Times Goodbye" is nearly ruined by that awful female telephone voice which features in most of the song. Shame, as I love the song, but....uggh!
28.10.2009 - 03:32
Brave

Yeah he's solo sound niceful.
Now i wonder what kind kind 6 person gave it to "The World Needs a Hero"
28.10.2009 - 06:55
ToMegaTherion

1 - Risk gets my vote, Risk copes a lot more flak than it really deserves there are decent songs on it and it did have some potential, but it just didn't sound like Megadeth. If you had put Pearl Jam on the cover maybe it wouldn't have got quite as harsh a wrap as it has got.
2 - Cryptic Writings was an ok album, some good work and some really crap work
3 - The World Needs a Hero would be a close third worst, this album just shits me to tears, there is some good signs of life and some decent tracks but the production and the style just anoy me.

TSHF - I consider this amogst their best albums, it is full of life and the Mustaine attitude. This albums sums up Megadeth.
Unided Abominations - I consider this one of Megadeths quality albums, not their best but definitely a very good album with some new classics.
29.10.2009 - 03:59
Kratos

Risk and The World Needs a Hero are the worst. I'd go for Risk it is just....bad imo a few good songs but mostly crap, atleast The World Needs a Hero has decent songs on it.
03.11.2009 - 13:36
HarmonyCorruptio

Insomnia is a total fucking tune, so I could never vote Risk as the worst Megadeth album. The World Needs A Hero was FAR FAR worse, not a single memorable song on that at all.
20.01.2010 - 01:06
thewall30

I never even owned Risk, but I'm voting for it anyways because I listened to previews of all the songs on the album and it sounded just plain boring...
I pretty much like every other Megadeth album so this is obvious...
----
26.01.2010 - 18:40
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
I first listened to Rust in Peace by Megadeth, and then Risk. Now I pretty much only listen to Rust in Peace.
30.01.2010 - 04:50
Jonnz of Steel

It's Cryptic Writings for me. I'm in the small minority that loves Risk.
31.01.2010 - 04:03
Edible Autopsy

Personally, I consider their worst to be Youthanasia. I just can't connect with any of the tracks on the album.

Risk comes in at a very close second though.
----
So let it be written
So let it be done
I've be sent here by the chosen one

So let it be written
So let it be done
To kill the first born pharoah son

I'm Creeping Death
07.09.2010 - 18:19
ProjectEndgame
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.10.2009 at 01:05

Though I do think "Endgame" was rushed in places, it's really between "Risk" and "The World Needs A Hero". Seeing as they are the only albums that contain filler tracks. It's tough, but I'm gonna go with "The World....", because it contains my least liked Megadeth track "Losing My Senses", and the blatant "Am I Evil" rip-off of "When"!

Was the Am I Evil similarity THAT bad?
07.09.2010 - 19:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 07.09.2010 at 18:19

IMO yes. Its probably the most blatant rip off Ive ever heard. Its not just similar, its an exact copy.
07.09.2010 - 21:54
Meller
Sleazy Rider
To the guys that wrote "Rust In Peace" a LOT can be forgiven, but I'll probably never forget what kind of a shock it was when I heard "Risk" the first time. Happily Dave has whipped himself and his troops into new fury nowadays, and I've been positively surprised how coherent the latest material has sounded, and in how good live shape the band is at the moment. One of these days I'll have to check out once again some of their latest albums thoroughly and profoundly.
----
"Haloo? ...Mulla on sellainen tunne, ett' mä olen surmannut miehen."
07.09.2010 - 22:24
ProjectEndgame
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.09.2010 at 19:07

Written by Guest on 07.09.2010 at 18:19

IMO yes. Its probably the most blatant rip off Ive ever heard. Its not just similar, its an exact copy.

I'm listening to it. Yes. THAT RIFF is a blatant rip off, but that's just I can find on When. Can you explain to me some more?
07.09.2010 - 22:27
vezzy
Stallmanite
Considering "that riff" drives most of the song and not just that, it's "Am I Evil?" all the way through.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
07.09.2010 - 23:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by ToMegaTherion on 28.10.2009 at 06:55
TSHF - I consider this amogst their best albums, it is full of life and the Mustaine attitude. This albums sums up Megadeth.

Totally agreed. Aside from the first 4 albums, TSHF is my fave Megadeth album. Since Risk, Dave has desperately been trying to recapture their pre - CTE sound and attitude. And that album was the closest he came to doing that. Great album. \m/

Written by vezzy on 07.09.2010 at 22:27

Considering "that riff" drives most of the song and not just that, it's "Am I Evil?" all the way through.

Yeppers. The intro (and outro) and the solo, are the only parts of the song which aren't ripping "Am I Evil" off. Once the song proper kicks in, the main riff, pre-chorus, and the chorus itself shamefully rip it off. In fact, if you inserted the "Am I Evil" lyrics into those sections, they'd be a perfect fit. lol
08.09.2010 - 04:37
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Goddamit you guys risk is not that bad !! infact, if you allow yourself to be slightly open-minded and judge the album as a standalone rock album you'll love it, it has really nice tracks "ecstasy" is a personal favorite. people keep saying its is crap coz its not thrash, and they compare it to Rust in Peaca and Countdown to extinction.. which is an invalid comprison, they're both totally different genres, and there's nothing wrong in experimenting outside of the thrash genre (even though i'm a major thrash metal fan) .. and you know what? megadeth proved with risk that they could do A-class rock ... i seriously hate it when people say Risk is crap.. and then go praise some of lady gaga's songs or say that linkin park aren't that bad... COME ON !!
for me its "united abominations" ... that album sucked
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
08.09.2010 - 14:17
vezzy
Stallmanite
>implying praising crap albums is "open-minded"

It is not.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
05.10.2010 - 22:31
Meller
Sleazy Rider
The problem about Risk is not the deviation from Thrash genre. If that was the case, we should also crucify Youthanasia and perhaps even Countdown To Extinction... and don't know about yoy guys, but I won't do it to either.
But the reason why Risk sounds so irritating, whole-hertedly bad and spiritless is that it sounds, feels and plays like it's completely calculated effort to get wider audience and more radio play for the band. The damn name of the album, in it's pitiful attempt of self-irony, about underlines and sums up what the band is awarely doing when releasing that turd. Probably Mustaine thought he was going to laugh his way to the bank, but I bet the face went sour the moment the sales figures hit the desk.

Oh, well. each to his own taste, I quess. Since music's greatness and shitness is purely a subjective matter. It's just my honest opinion about the album. I can't say I'm 100% right, and admitting this is in my opinion one aspect of open-mindedness, or admitting that one has sore spot for certain bands and/or music styles. And in any case, my subjective truth about Risk is that it should be buried as a nuclear waste and forget that Megadeth ever recorded it.

An interesting implication that bashing Risk leads people to praising Lady Gaga, by the way...
----
"Haloo? ...Mulla on sellainen tunne, ett' mä olen surmannut miehen."
15.10.2010 - 09:15
MetalFist
Account deleted
I would have to say risk :\
21.10.2010 - 18:01
Coolingsrock

Thats not to bright on your part since they also created some of the best riffs of all time in their first 6 cds.
21.10.2010 - 19:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Meller on 05.10.2010 at 22:31

The problem about Risk is not the deviation from Thrash genre. If that was the case, we should also crucify Youthanasia and perhaps even Countdown To Extinction... and don't know about yoy guys, but I won't do it to either.

I do. And I did several pages ago. They sold out just as hard as Metallica did... just didn't meet the same level of success.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.10.2010 - 22:36
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Written by BitterCOld on 21.10.2010 at 19:23

Written by Meller on 05.10.2010 at 22:31

I do. And I did several pages ago. They sold out just as hard as Metallica did... just didn't meet the same level of success.

You are absolutely right. But countdown, and youth are better than load and reload. Not that any of those 4 albums are complete shit.
The world needs a hero on the other hand, is by and large a steaming pile of shit. While its true that Risk is not the greatest Deth album, and most people get all up in arms about how it sucks. It was (and should have been) going to be released as MegaDave's solo album. However, in a cruel twist of fate, it was released under the holy name of MegaDeth. But for my money, TWNAH takes the shit cake as being the worst by Deth. Risk insnt the best, not by far, but its better than that filthy rotten shit sac that is TWNAH.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
09.11.2010 - 16:19
Raven Of Death

Listen to Rust in Peace Exactly when they played it in Sao Paolo in Barazil 26/4/2010 Download it from torrent

it's awesome Live I had seen in my Life
09.11.2010 - 16:19
Raven Of Death

Risk is the Badest Thrash Metal Album
17.01.2011 - 06:20
Sonic MrSumo

Risk is terrible. And not because it came from the genius that is Megadeth, it's just a terrible album by anyone's standards!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.