Metal Storm logo
Cover songs that you didn't know they were

Original post

Posted by Dreamwar_86, 20.01.2007 - 09:17
i just find out some cover songs i never imagined they were actually covers here some

Temple of the king - Rainbow Mago de oz did it they called (el templo del adios)

Wuthering Heights - Kate bush Angra did it

My Number one - Helena paparizou Dream evil did it

that last one freaked me out lol

so what about you?
11.12.2007 - 20:40
Vunts
I think Children of Bodom - Final Countdown sort of counts under here. I think I forgot that Europa(e?) did that song. Anyways, that's the song that got me into CoB and I only discovered many months later that it wasn't actually CoB who did the cover
21.12.2007 - 03:49
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Errrm, CoB never did that song actually... It's probably "Norther" version you got there...
Anywayz, two covers I didnt realize thay were, were covers done by serbian band Alogia, with Serbian lyrics, but the music was origialy by Pretty Maids (A Place in the Night) and Conception (Roll the Fire) ... Only later I realised they were cover songs.. but I was youg then (18)and just got 'into metal'.
Also didn't knew for some time that one of my fav songs from Evergrey I'm Sorry is a cover...
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
21.12.2007 - 09:02
Judas
The Amputator
When I first heard Emperor's cover of 'Gypsy', I didn't know it was a Mercyful Fate cover, since I hadn't heard of Mercyful Fate at that point in time.

As stated above, Children Of Bodom have never covered 'The Final Countdown'. There are 2 different versions masquerading as the CoB cover, one is done by Norther and the other by Dispatched.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
21.12.2007 - 23:06
Haightredy
Written by Vunts on 11.12.2007 at 20:40

I think Children of Bodom - Final Countdown sort of counts under here. I think I forgot that Europa(e?) did that song. Anyways, that's the song that got me into CoB and I only discovered many months later that it wasn't actually CoB who did the cover

Yeah, same here, only....i just found out 5 seconds ago in this thread....
21.12.2007 - 23:25
Syzygy
Account deleted
When I first started getting into to metal I had no idea that Apocalyptica's cover of The Unforgiven was a Metallica, that Rodrigo Y Gabriela's cover of Orion was also Metallica, nor that Manson's Personal Jesus was a Depeche Mode song.

The same goes for "Over the Hills..." which I just found out now thanks to the thread.
22.12.2007 - 14:56
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Written by Haightredy on 21.12.2007 at 23:06

Errrmm, that IS NOT COB... Bodom never did "Final Countdown" it's Norther, bonus song from "Dreams Of Endless War" ... or maybe it's band called Dispatched... Also everyone thinks that COB did 'The Trooper' cover, but thats Sentenced !
----
22.12.2007 - 15:41
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 21.12.2007 at 03:49

Errrm, CoB never did that song actually... It's probably "Norther" version you got there...
Anywayz, two covers I didnt realize thay were, were covers done by serbian band Alogia, with Serbian lyrics, but the music was origialy by Pretty Maids (A Place in the Night) and Conception (Roll the Fire) ... Only later I realised they were cover songs.. but I was youg then (18)and just got 'into metal'.
Also didn't knew for some time that one of my fav songs from Evergrey I'm Sorry is a cover...

Yeah, same here, but I must tell you, most of people didnt realize that...
And that whole COB think is quite widespread, especially with "final countdown" and "trooper", but there are hordes of so called COB covers circling around, I dont know why...
----
23.12.2007 - 19:14
Vunts
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 22.12.2007 at 14:56

Written by Haightredy on 21.12.2007 at 23:06

Errrmm, that IS NOT COB... Bodom never did "Final Countdown" it's Norther, bonus song from "Dreams Of Endless War" ... or maybe it's band called Dispatched... Also everyone thinks that COB did 'The Trooper' cover, but thats Sentenced !

Ever learned of reading? Let me help you. and I only discovered many months later that it wasn't actually CoB who did the cover
Any more questions?

EDIT after Telcontar's post 23.12.2007 at 19:52

aha mkay, sorry about that.
23.12.2007 - 19:52
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
No, not you, someone else wrote it's COB, I just hit the wrong 'quote' Forget it, I cant go back now to find that one....
Back to the topic...
----
25.12.2007 - 20:16
Ascalon
Metal Heart of Dimmu Borgir ... it's a really good version
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
25.12.2007 - 20:19
Ascalon
Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush of Angra ... yeah ! .... they also make cover of "Painkiller" .. and a Phil Collins song
and also "Painkiller" of Death .. it's an amazing version ... maybe even better than Judas ... yo can't guess if it's a cover ...
----
26.12.2007 - 01:56
Warman
Erotic Stains
The Nightmares by the Sea cover could've just as easily been a Katatonia song.
----
26.12.2007 - 21:40
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I used to think that Children of the Damned was by Therion was by them until I better explored Iron Maiden's back catalog...
27.12.2007 - 06:19
Ascalon
Written by Guest on 26.12.2007 at 21:40

I used to think that Children of the Damned was by Therion was by them until I better explored Iron Maiden's back catalog...

Quite interesting .... xD ... I listen ot a Therion version of "Fight Fire with Fire" ... of Metallica ... thinkig the same as you .. also Opeth songs ... that are covers like Demon of the Fall i believe
----
27.12.2007 - 08:13
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Ascalon on 27.12.2007 at 06:19

Quite interesting .... xD ... I listen ot a Therion version of "Fight Fire with Fire" ... of Metallica ... thinkig the same as you .. also Opeth songs ... that are covers like Demon of the Fall i believe

They did a cover of that song? Wow...is it on an album? I'm going to go and download it right away because I am extremely curious to hear how that would sound...
27.12.2007 - 17:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Die die my Darling of Metallica...
After years since I heard that song. A friend said to me that it was a cover of Misfits

And "Burn in Hell" by dimmu borgir.
I like this one, for me it's better than the original
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.12.2007 - 19:16
Ascalon
Written by Guest on 27.12.2007 at 08:13

Written by Ascalon on 27.12.2007 at 06:19

They did a cover of that song? Wow...is it on an album? I'm going to go and download it right away because I am extremely curious to hear how that would sound...

Genre: Various
Label: Nuclear Blast Records
Playing time: 70:01
Band homepage: -

Tracklist:

1. Seek And Destroy (Primal Fear)
2. Fight Fire With Fire (Therion)
3. Whiplash (Destruction)
4. Phantom Lord (Anthrax)
5. Fade To Black (Sonata Arctica)
6. Master Of Puppets (Burden Of Grief)
7. My Friend Of Misery (Dark Tranquillity)
8. One (Crematory)
9. Eye Of The Beholder (In Flames)
10. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) (Thunderstone)
11. The Memory Remains (The Kovenant)
12. Wherever I May Roam (Sinner)
13. Damage Inc. (Tankard)

A Tribute to the Four Horsemen.. the're you'll find it
----
27.12.2007 - 23:36
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Ooops I Did It Again covered by Children Of Bodom... it sounded so similar to what they usually write
27.12.2007 - 23:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
The WASP cover of 'Easy Living' (originally by Uriah Heep). Blackie Lawless sounds so natural in it I was shocked when I finally found out it was a Uriah Heep song (yeah I know, sad, but Im not into Uriah Heep at all).
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
09.01.2008 - 21:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Graveworm - Loosing My Religion (R.E.M.)
Graveworm - I Need A Hero (Bonnie Tyler)

and of course

Graveworm - Fear Of The Dark which i have already known for some time
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.01.2008 - 10:01
Harmonic
Account deleted
Not metal, but an interesting bit of trivia nonetheless:

Most people believe the Jimi Hendrix cover of "All Along The Watchtower" was written by Hendrix himself. It's actually a Bob Dylan song. (If you don't believe me, look it up in Wikipedia!)
10.01.2008 - 12:45
Marshmellow
There is a cover from Iron Maiden s Powerslave that i dont know who did it...I just know that when you download from Limewire, for ex., it says that it is a Dimmu Borgir cover of this song, but actually it s not...Does someone know which band did this cover? It has a nice atmosfere in some parts, with keyboards...

I just love the covers of King Diamond s "The Trial" and Slayer s "Dead Skin Mask", by Dark Funeral...Dead Skin Mask is one of the best covers i ve heard, it s crazy...
12.01.2008 - 05:42
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Dr. Rock: I could've told you that, dude the keyboards give it away lol

Wow this evening i found out that "White Rabbit" - Sanctuary is actually written by Jefferson Airplane . Holy shit that caught me by surprise as I surfed through the audio channels on direct tv
12.01.2008 - 09:31
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.01.2008 at 05:42

Wow this evening i found out that "White Rabbit" - Sanctuary is actually written by Jefferson Airplane . Holy shit that caught me by surprise as I surfed through the audio channels on direct tv

The Jefferson Airplane version is a classic, perhaps my single favourite rock song from the 60s. Grace Slick really knows how to deliver on the vocals. If she had been born 30 years later, I figure she'd be fronting a metal band.

Remember what the Dormouse said...
Feed your head!
Feed your head!
12.01.2008 - 12:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 27.12.2007 at 23:36

Ooops I Did It Again covered by Children Of Bodom... it sounded so similar to what they usually write

LoL.... That's a good one xD
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.01.2008 - 18:36
Torelli
I was suprised to hear that Evergrey's "I'm sorry" is a cover of Dilba!
18.01.2008 - 09:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Guest on 12.01.2008 at 05:42

@Dr. Rock: I could've told you that, dude the keyboards give it away lol

Yeah but I cant say Id ever listened to Uriah Heep before that point. And you didnt know 'White Rabbit' was Jefferson Airplane? Thats....shocking, if nothing else, shouldnt have all the movies that songs been in give it away?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.01.2008 - 15:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Ellrohir on 09.01.2008 at 21:51

You didn't know that was a cover at first?
----
18.01.2008 - 22:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Warman on 18.01.2008 at 15:42

i maybe didnt get the idea of the topic...i thought it was created for songs, you of course know they are covers, but you didnt know the band made them, or?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.01.2008 - 22:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Ellrohir on 18.01.2008 at 22:48

Written by Warman on 18.01.2008 at 15:42

i maybe didnt get the idea of the topic...i thought it was created for songs, you of course know they are covers, but you didnt know the band made them, or?

The topic is about songs you didn't know were covers. For instance, The Fire Still Burns by Cradle Of Filth... a song I didn't know was a cover, I thought it was a Cradle Of Filth song. Later I learned it was originally made by Twisted Sister.
----