Metal Storm logo
Insomnium - Debut New Song

Another song premiere today. Melodic death metal heavyweights Insomnium give us "Revelations", a brand new song taken from their forthcoming album Shadows Of The Dying Sun. After the song "Ephemeral" from the same name EP released last year, this is another appetizer for the new album. Enjoy the song through the lyric video right here. Take it all in.

Shadows Of The Dying Sun will be the band's sixth album to date, and follows One For Sorrow. It is due to be released on April 28th in Europe and on April 29th in North America via Century Media. More album details can be found here.

Shadows Of The Dying Sun tracklist:

01. The Primeval Dark
02. While We Sleep
03. Revelations
04. Black Heart Rebellion
05. Lose To Night
06. Collapsing Words
07. The River
08. Ephemeral (album version)
09. The Promethean Song
10. Shadows Of The Dying Sun

[Also thanks to LeKiwi, Justicelust and Fallen Ghost for sending in this news!]

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Insomnium
Posted: 21.03.2014 by DoomRules

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 20   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 299 users
21.03.2014 - 18:31
IronArkadius666

Very nice! Though the vocals could be louder and I was hoping for a bit of Vanhala's touch in it.
Nevertheless, very excited for a other classic Insomnium album!
21.03.2014 - 18:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
4 people submitted news for this. Just want to thank you all personally Almost a record there!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.03.2014 - 19:00
Justicelust

Written by BloodTears on 21.03.2014 at 18:43

4 people submitted news for this. Just want to thank you all personally Almost a record there!

Thank you too for putting us in the note
21.03.2014 - 19:21
NorthernDickhead

Good video. gets my interesting
21.03.2014 - 23:32
Reaper_Redeemer

I mention it here also.
"Leads are disappointing.... OMG 1st song I dislike of my fav band QQ"

Couldnt be more generic for insomnium. Its like a step back if this is what the rest of this album is like.
22.03.2014 - 00:31
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Guest on 21.03.2014 at 19:41

The whispered vocals remind me of In The Halls Of Awaiting-era, which is always a good thing.

Hell yes, so happy to hear them returning to their roots here!

First song I've liked from them since the "Weather the Storm" single. Still slightly formulaic but the return or their older(and more superior imo) sound, gives me hope for this new album..
----
pewpew.. gotcha
22.03.2014 - 01:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Based on this song, not exactly looking forward to the new album. Pretty bland and by-the-numbers, at this point they've stagnated and need to try something different. The well has run dry.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.03.2014 - 03:12
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by deadone on 22.03.2014 at 02:54

Well that was just as expected - extremely generic melodic DM.

I never understood the appeal of these guys or Omnium Gatherum (both too gutless and unmemorable for my liking). And this song goes even further to being generic.

Have you heard their first three albums? (imo their debut is their best and most unique)

If I only heard their latests releases I would totally agree with you, their new stuff is quite generic and bland but I'd check out their early work(if you havent already) before you completely write them off.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
22.03.2014 - 06:01
Dylan

Will get the album, but i've pretty much stopped expecting anything as great as the first 3 albums. This single is decent but very forgettable.
22.03.2014 - 08:49
Stunning Cactus

I actually enjoy this song. I enjoyed "Ephemeral", and I enjoy this song even more. Well done, Insomnium.
22.03.2014 - 11:13
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.03.2014 at 01:28

Based on this song, not exactly looking forward to the new album. Pretty bland and by-the-numbers, at this point they've stagnated and need to try something different. The well has run dry.

I for one find this song absolutely gorgeous and something that One For Sorrow was lacking. The melodic hooks are more subtle than in your average Insomnium track entwined in great dynamics, a bit Be'lakor-ish even. Based on the two songs they've released, they're already finding the all-out grievance and stuff like that getting stale.
22.03.2014 - 13:30
Reaper_Redeemer

Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.03.2014 at 01:28

I am glad that people from the staff agree, so much funboyism out there for a band that imo should not have...
22.03.2014 - 16:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 22.03.2014 at 13:30
I am glad that people from the staff agree, so much funboyism out there for a band that imo should not have...

I'm disappointed I'm now one of those people who see Insomnium the way their critics have for a while now, but unfortunately they haven't done anything worth praising since 2006.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.03.2014 - 18:07
IronArkadius666

What exactly does stale mean in music? Does it just mean unoriginal or overused?
22.03.2014 - 22:06
Therapy?

I couldn't care less if they sound "the same" because that's the sound I like! And I welcome any new album with such an awesome sound.
22.03.2014 - 23:05
Kevorkian

Meh, sounds like it came right off of One For Sorrow. Riffs are pretty boring, leads are not very memorable, and the spoken word parts don't grab my attention. Also, the production is a bit too full and thereby sounds messy. It's not terrible, but I wanted more from this, especially given the way Vanhala talked about the new songs in interviews. But who knows, maybe the other songs will prove us naysayers wrong.
23.03.2014 - 00:13
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by IronArkadius666 on 22.03.2014 at 18:07

What exactly does stale mean in music? Does it just mean unoriginal or overused?

Overused is probably closer, or exhausted. I clearly hear Sevänen being more inspired with more uplifting stuff, he was mostly absent from writing One For Sorrow (musically, not lyrically).

Written by Kevorkian on 22.03.2014 at 23:05

Meh, sounds like it came right off of One For Sorrow. Riffs are pretty boring, leads are not very memorable, and the spoken word parts don't grab my attention.

You can't find a single song this atmospheric on that record. The same complaints were initially put out back when Above the Weeping World came out, but it has stood the test of time remarkably well. This track actually reminds me of "Change of Heart" quite a lot.
23.03.2014 - 13:55
Rot Teufel

And again vocals are overpowerd by others instruments like the previous one... bah...
They always use simpler rhythmic motifs for all albums, but at least they're good to listen during dead times waiting for something better... This until "Across the Dark"... I pass like for the previous album...
----
Destroy all dreams, illusion damned in fire... A hellish need for power, it's my dark desire...
23.03.2014 - 14:42
s_t_s

I like this song and will most probably buy the album even tho I couldn't name a single track from their 3 other albums I like to listen to Insomnium as a kind of ambiance music. So I agree that this is too generic but this also sounds so nicely.
25.03.2014 - 11:38
s_t_s

Written by deadone on 24.03.2014 at 00:08

Written by s_t_s on 23.03.2014 at 14:42

I like to listen to Insomnium as a kind of ambiance music. So I agree that this is too generic but this also sounds so nicely.

This is why I've never been able to get into them. I like my Melodic DM as an active listen with lots of memorable tunes and a degree of punch.

Agreed, that's also how I like to listen to most bands but I like Insomnium this way Guess it means I'm never gonna see them play live... or not

Hits total: 5430 | This month: 9