14. Captor Of Sin [Slayer cover] [2002 re-issue bonus]
15. Unto Others ['95 demo] [2002 re-issue bonus]
16. Suicide Nation ['95 demo] [2002 re-issue bonus]
17. Bister Verklighet [No Security cover] [2002 re-issue bonus]

Disc II [2006 re-issue DVD]
+ Making Of "Slaughter Of The Soul"
+ Documentary
+ Blinded By Fear [video]

This album has no review 12 years after its release?! Well, I cannot just let that be, can I? I mean, kids have to learn what a milestone this is in the history of death metal... Others already know what I'm talking about!

OK, first of all, this is one of the "Big Three" of the year 1995 (other 2 being In Flames' "The Jester Race" and Dark Tranquillity's "The Gallery"), which are easily the best melodeath albums ever and influence all of the new genres that many hail today. This album is a logical (although not predictable) step from At The Gates' previous album "Terminal Spirit Disease," when they first incorporated the new, more melodic approach into their music. Here, the sound was developed and polished to the max, yet without losing the aggressive edge they always had and you could say that it's a perfect balance. The consequence of all this is increased accessibility to their generally extreme music. From the legendary opener "Blinded By Fear" (which was the most popular and played video on MTV's Headbanger's Ball ever) to the strange neo-classical instrumental "The Flames Of The End," this is a true masterpiece - full stop. It would be rather pointless to describe or recommend specific songs, since the entire album flows really nice and the quality bar never drops. This may cause the album to sound slightly repetitive at first listen but only until you get to know the songs a little better; then it won't get out of your CD player (or iPod) for weeks, if not months. You'll feel shivers each time you play "Blinded By Fear," headbang with "Nausea" and jump with "Need" (hell, I just made recommendations)... And as if it wasn't enough, the album was reissued with bonus tracks (including unreleased and demo tracks and some covers, e.g. Slayer's "Captor Of Sin" which is fantastic) and even a 35-minute video with the singer Tomas Lindberg, guitarist Martin Larsson and the producer Fredrik Nordstrom.

Just in case you still have doubts - rush to the nearest CD shop (or go to Earache online shop, like my lazy ass) and get the new DualDisc Reissue. That way you can get rid of the shame that you still don't have this one in your collection and join the fan club!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by gojko88 | 20.01.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 39   Visited by: 338 users
12.12.2008 - 10:13
Rating: 10
Entropic Silence

Review talks it up a bit but the album speaks for itself. Id say it beats the Jester Race and The Gallery, but the latter not by much.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
19.06.2009 - 19:28
Rating: 9
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Your review just stole the words right out of my head. Great review and awesome album. I've so far listened to this album twice in a row (which I haven't really done with an album in awhile, non the less a metal one). I find it interesting that when I listen to this and DT's Damage Done, I can't help but think of the crappy metalcore bands that are out their, and how, despite having an influence on the scene, the music is just so sub-par compared to these albums.
26.11.2009 - 21:16
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Great album
----
pewpew.. gotcha
02.02.2010 - 16:59
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Good review
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.09.2010 - 14:07
Wishmaster
Account deleted
Good review, I agree with it.
27.04.2013 - 01:18
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
It's a fantastic album, it was a breath of fresh air when it came out and I would say it has a place in the top10 most influential Metal albums ever.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
15.02.2017 - 07:12
KillLoveJoy

The album sure is up to the standards set in Melo death at the time.:banger:
04.03.2021 - 09:39
Blindearth

Great review
27.07.2022 - 23:07
Rating: 8
BlankFile

Great record indeed

Hits total: 13929 | This month: 16