Metal Storm logo
Gwar - Frontman Dave Brockie Passes Away (Update)

UPDATE: As predicted, Gwar's manager Jack Flanagan has released an official statement confirming Dave Brockie's death. It is now official. The band lost guitarist Corey Smoot in 2011 and now faces another loss. Our condolences to the family and friends. RIP.

The statement reads as follows: "It is with a saddened heart, that I confirm my dear friend Dave Brockie, artist, musician, and lead singer of Gwar passed away at approximately 6:50 PM EST Sunday March 23, 2014. His body was found Sunday by his band mate at his home in Richmond, VA. Richmond authorities have confirmed his death and next of kin has been notified. A full autopsy will be performed. He was 50 years old, born August 30, 1963. My main focus right now is to look after my band mates and his family. More information regarding his death shall be released as the details are confirmed."

Tragic news today. Richmond's outlet Style Weekly is reporting the passing of Dave Brockie (Oderus Urungus), Gwar's frontman. A member of the Richmond Police Department confirmed that the 50-year-old musician was found dead in his home by his roommates. While the band's management is expected to release an official statement today, Richmond's Lamb Of God frontman Randy Blythe has released a message on Instagram confirming Brockie's passing and sending his condolences.

Blythe wrote: "Got a very sad call tonight from my buddy Chris Bopst, who was one of the original members of Gwar - my friend Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus, the singer of Gwar, has left the building & taken off back to his home planet. He was 50 years old. I do not know details of why he died yet, just that he passed away at home & his roommates found him."

Former Gwar bassist Mike Bishop says: "Dave was one of the funniest, smartest, most creative and energetic persons I've known. He was brash sometimes, always crass, irreverent, he was hilarious in every way. But he was also deeply intelligent and interested in life, history, politics and art. His penchant for scatological humors belied a lucid wit. He was a criminally underrated lyricist and hard rock vocalist, one of the best, ever! A great front man, a great painter, writer, he was also a hell of a bass guitarist. I loved him. He was capable of great empathy and had a real sense of justice."

Mobile Death Camp, former bassist Todd Evans' side project, has left a RIP message on their Facebook page and so did former band member Chris Bopst: "I wish it was a joke. Everyone is in shock."

Courtesy of Style Weekly

Source: styleweekly.com
Band profile: Gwar
Posted: 24.03.2014 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 33   Visited by: 317 users
26.03.2014 - 03:28
Hatebeard
Account deleted
RIP Dave... You will be sorely missed brother.

I hope all you haters get cancer, or die in a fire...maybe both.
27.03.2014 - 01:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 26.03.2014 at 03:28
I hope all you haters get cancer, or die in a fire...maybe both.

At least you're keeping it classy in spite of all the "hate".
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.03.2014 - 02:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Hope you're smoking crack and slaughtering foo's in hell, Oderus!

didn't think too highly of any of their albums, but they had a couple ace tracks.

Slaughterama, Morality Squad, Rock And Roll Never Felt So Good
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 5158 | This month: 11