Metal Storm logo
Gwar - Frontman Dave Brockie Passes Away (Update)

UPDATE: As predicted, Gwar's manager Jack Flanagan has released an official statement confirming Dave Brockie's death. It is now official. The band lost guitarist Corey Smoot in 2011 and now faces another loss. Our condolences to the family and friends. RIP.

The statement reads as follows: "It is with a saddened heart, that I confirm my dear friend Dave Brockie, artist, musician, and lead singer of Gwar passed away at approximately 6:50 PM EST Sunday March 23, 2014. His body was found Sunday by his band mate at his home in Richmond, VA. Richmond authorities have confirmed his death and next of kin has been notified. A full autopsy will be performed. He was 50 years old, born August 30, 1963. My main focus right now is to look after my band mates and his family. More information regarding his death shall be released as the details are confirmed."

Tragic news today. Richmond's outlet Style Weekly is reporting the passing of Dave Brockie (Oderus Urungus), Gwar's frontman. A member of the Richmond Police Department confirmed that the 50-year-old musician was found dead in his home by his roommates. While the band's management is expected to release an official statement today, Richmond's Lamb Of God frontman Randy Blythe has released a message on Instagram confirming Brockie's passing and sending his condolences.

Blythe wrote: "Got a very sad call tonight from my buddy Chris Bopst, who was one of the original members of Gwar - my friend Dave Brockie, AKA Oderus Urungus, the singer of Gwar, has left the building & taken off back to his home planet. He was 50 years old. I do not know details of why he died yet, just that he passed away at home & his roommates found him."

Former Gwar bassist Mike Bishop says: "Dave was one of the funniest, smartest, most creative and energetic persons I've known. He was brash sometimes, always crass, irreverent, he was hilarious in every way. But he was also deeply intelligent and interested in life, history, politics and art. His penchant for scatological humors belied a lucid wit. He was a criminally underrated lyricist and hard rock vocalist, one of the best, ever! A great front man, a great painter, writer, he was also a hell of a bass guitarist. I loved him. He was capable of great empathy and had a real sense of justice."

Mobile Death Camp, former bassist Todd Evans' side project, has left a RIP message on their Facebook page and so did former band member Chris Bopst: "I wish it was a joke. Everyone is in shock."

Courtesy of Style Weekly

Source: styleweekly.com
Band profile: Gwar
Posted: 24.03.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 33   Visited by: 317 users
24.03.2014 - 13:53
psykometal
A staff guy...
Talk about a shitty decade for metalheads. I never could get into GWAR, but there's no denying their legendary status in the metal community and the devastating impact this is going to have on the band, their fans and the community in general.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

24.03.2014 - 14:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by psykometal on 24.03.2014 at 13:53

... but there's no denying their legendary status in the metal community ...

Only based on their live shows and not on their average to piss poor music.

Saw them live a couple of times and it was Always fun, just a crying shame about their music.

A shame the main guy behind the band's show passed away.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.03.2014 - 14:30
Veertje

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2014 at 14:18

Written by psykometal on 24.03.2014 at 13:53

... but there's no denying their legendary status in the metal community ...

Saw them live a couple of times and it was Always fun, just a crying shame about their music.

If you have fun at the concert, does the music really matter that much? I saw them a couple of years ago in Hengelo and while the music indeed wasn't the most awesome of all time, I still had a blast. Walking out of the venue and seeing bloody footsteps for the next 50 meters, priceless.
24.03.2014 - 14:48
psykometal
A staff guy...
As previously stated, I never could get into GWAR therefore I have none of their albums. But I feel the need to pay homage to them in some way today, and I do own the first few Lordi albums. Would it be totally unforgivable, unacceptable blasphemy for me to jam to their biggest, most abhorred tribute band since they're all I have?
----

24.03.2014 - 15:00
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2014 at 14:18

Never been to a show but I've always heard they're killer. I agree about their music though, terribly pedestrian and lame.
----

24.03.2014 - 16:03
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
No matter what Dave was the one who contributed to GWAR the highest. He was also considered the "main" guy of GWAR.

RIP.
24.03.2014 - 16:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I feel bad for the people who knew him personally but never could quite understand why fans (or people in general) care about anyone dying without ever having truly known that person. Probably not the greatest thread for me to let the asshole side of me come out, but that's just how I see it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.03.2014 - 16:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2014 at 16:08
I feel bad for the people who knew him personally but never could quite understand why fans (or people in general) care about anyone dying without ever having truly known that person.

I'd say it depends in how much their music meant for a part of someone's life. I haven't really felt truly bad about anyone atm but... Let's say Acid Bath's Dax Riggs passes away, I will definitely get quite sad considering how much his band meant to me.

To me it's easy to understand, I just haven't felt it... yet.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.03.2014 - 16:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.03.2014 at 16:20

I guess I'm just apathetic about the whole thing. I just see it as people die - no big deal. When all my favorite musicians are dead I won't be any less happy with my life unless there isn't any good new music being made. They aren't my close friends and I don't feel like we're close just because I happen to like the music they made.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.03.2014 - 16:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2014 at 16:27

I guess I'm just apathetic about the whole thing. I just see it as people die - no big deal. When all my favorite musicians are dead I won't be any less happy with my life unless there isn't any good new music being made. They aren't my close friends and I don't feel like we're close just because I happen to like the music they made.

I highly doubt anyone is any less happy with their lifes because of one of their favorite musicians is now dead. I don't think it works that way.
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.03.2014 - 16:42
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

I feel bad for the people who knew him personally but never could quite understand why fans (or people in general) care about anyone dying without ever having truly known that person.

Let's say Acid Bath's Dax Riggs passes away, I will definitely get quite sad considering how much his band meant to me.

Just like for you Acid Bath's Dax death affected you, for others Dave Brockie's death has affect many. No matter how many people takes a jab on GWAR or their music is average, at the end of day....Dave was the main guy behind this band. His contribuation was immense.
24.03.2014 - 17:21
Fearmeister
Account deleted
God fucking dammit. I passed on their last show here thinking that I will have anther chance to see them ;_;
24.03.2014 - 17:40
Why must the acutally talented people die before the usless idiots who are less talented than feces?!
24.03.2014 - 17:57
athena

I'd say it depends in how much their music meant for a part of someone's life. I haven't really felt truly bad about anyone atm but... Let's say Acid Bath's Dax Riggs passes away, I will definitely get quite sad considering how much his band meant to me.

Don't jinx Dax!!!!!! And yes, that would hurt like hell...
24.03.2014 - 17:57
athena

R.I.P. Dave.
24.03.2014 - 18:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by athena on 24.03.2014 at 17:57
Don't jinx Dax!!!!!! And yes, that would hurt like hell...

I would friggin die if this happened today due to high levels of irony in my blood. D:
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.03.2014 - 18:02
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Never liked the band, but it's sad news anyways. Rest in peace
24.03.2014 - 19:52
DeathMetal

Damn that sucks..
24.03.2014 - 20:03
Butters49

I know many people here dont like Gwar,
but they were always a HUGE part of my life.
I am deeply saddened by this... Epic music, even more epic shows.

RIP Brockie.
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond
24.03.2014 - 20:24
ThyKingdomScvm

Considering Acid Bath are my absolute favorite band, my sadness would be immense.
24.03.2014 - 21:22
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor

I feel bad for the people who knew him personally but never could quite understand why fans (or people in general) care about anyone dying without ever having truly known that person. Probably not the greatest thread for me to let the asshole side of me come out, but that's just how I see it.

art is a way of communicating/connecting, so to some extant we do get to know our favorite artists through their music. I think it would be pretty disrespectful just to be completely indifferent to the death of someone who gave you some joy in your life.

Now I'm not a huge GWAR fan but their concert was one of the best i've ever been to so that suxx he is no longer. Dont think GWAR will be the same without him.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
24.03.2014 - 22:01
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by AngelofDeth on 24.03.2014 at 21:22

Dont think GWAR will be the same without him.

I really can't honestly see Gwar continue after his death. The band was very much his baby. He poured much of his time into the band, which was very DIY in terms of the costumes, live gimmicks, etc.
24.03.2014 - 22:10
Lehctim

Are you fucking kidding me? This guy was the best interview on the planet. Have you seen him read goodnight moon? I can't believe this
24.03.2014 - 22:28
Arcticus

Just saw Gwar about 3 weeks ago for the second time, they were great as always - RIP Oderus Urungus, may your Scumdog soul find peace.
24.03.2014 - 23:44
-Morbid-

Damn, what a shame. Say what you want about GWAR's music but Brockie was a funny guy. I still love him on that episode of Jerry Springer with the kid that is a GWAR fan and his concerned mother.

As someone said above, it's kinda hard to picture the band going on without him. His voice was and delivery was pretty unique, even if it was sort of a "love it or hate it" thing, and he seemed to really be the force behind the band.

Was really hoping to get some of my friends and family to go the next time a tour came near. At least I got to see them live once.
25.03.2014 - 00:49
Jiri

RIP. How will we break the news to Beavis and Butthead?
25.03.2014 - 07:21
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I'm sorta with Marcel, their music wasn't that good. Their live show was...strange, but I didn't like their music very much.

Either way, R.I.P.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
25.03.2014 - 07:39
Jtbmetal123

The news of his passing is so sad to me. As a metalhead my second live show I ever saw was GWAR. The live show was one of the greatest ive ever seen. Coming home with fake blood everywhere with the coolest show ive ever seen. It was a pleasure seeing them live and I hope the family members and close friends the best of wishes. The metal community has suffered a huge loss today. RIP Dave Brockie
25.03.2014 - 17:04
Mattybu

Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.03.2014 at 16:29

I highly doubt anyone is any less happy with their lifes because of one of their favorite musicians is now dead. I don't think it works that way.

Make fun of me all you want but in a certain way I am less happy with my life now that Ceddybu isn't alive. Jeff Hanneman too.
26.03.2014 - 00:11
LascaillesShroud

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2014 at 16:27

For some people the music becomes part of their identity in some small way, a piece of who they are. Iron Maiden are pretty mentally attached to every major event in my life from my childhood to the death of my mother. When someone who was part of that dies, you loose something, it's small, but nevertheless you feel a connection with something you held close to you is now weakened or lost, and sadness is an appropriate, logical, and understandable response to it.

Hits total: 5152 | This month: 5