10. Take Shelter

Tour Edition bonus tracks:
11. The Lost Song Part 1 [Acoustic in Session - Liverpool Parr Street Studios]
12. Ariel [Acoustic in Session - Liverpool Parr Street Studios]
13. The Lost Song Part 3 [Acoustic in Session - Liverpool Parr Street Studios]
14. Firelight [Acoustic in Session - Liverpool Parr Street Studios]
15. Anathema [Live at Liverpool Cathedral]

Additional info
Recorded Christer-André Cederberg at Cederberg Studios in Oslo, Norway.

Guest review by
Boris_Pembroke
Rating:
Anathema adopt a less rock-oriented approach, with added electronic elements for interesting but mixed results.

Read more ››
published 01.01.2016 | Comments (1)

Guest review by
WayTooManyCDs
Rating:
Anathema, Opeth, Mastodon, Ihsahn, and numerous other major artists are all moving out of the metal scene. Many of their newer works are receiving lower scores for not being "metal enough" and going too far outside of the acceptable boundaries of fans of their earlier work. Is the mixed reception for Distant Satellites another result of this phenomenon? In my opinion, yes.

Read more ››
published 27.06.2016 | Comments (0)

Found in 32 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 70   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 888 users
28.03.2014 - 15:06
Rating: 8
God Alone

<3
28.03.2014 - 16:26
John Shock

My eyes are forever shining with this little report from the band...
29.03.2014 - 00:44
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Hopefully I like this even more than the last one.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
29.03.2014 - 16:21
Rating: 9
EtaArgus

So looking forward to it!
06.04.2014 - 12:31
Stunning Cactus

Definitely keeping an eye on this!
08.04.2014 - 05:10
SyntheticBreed

1. The Lost Song [Part 1] (5:53)
2. The Lost Song [Part 2] (5:47)
3. Dusk (Dark Is Descending) (5:59)
4. Ariel (6:28)
5. The Lost Song [Part 3] (5:21)
6. Anathema (6:40)
7. You're Not Alone (3:26)
8. Firelight (2:42)
9. Distant Satellites (8:17)
10. Take Shelter (6:07)
08.04.2014 - 05:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by SyntheticBreed on 08.04.2014 at 05:10
Tracklist.

You know you can submit an edit with that info, right?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.04.2014 - 05:15
SyntheticBreed

No I didn't actually.
04.05.2014 - 23:33
SceneryOfLoss

The Lost Song Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh5ShSSmG3c
01.06.2014 - 16:07
annodomini

Well, Distant Satellites is darker than the previous two. The cherry and uplifting melodies are gone, and it's much more about the mood and atmosphere than memorable riffs. Most of the songs are a build-up style, where it begins slowly and quietly and then move to a big climax.

I love the performance on this one. Specially keys and rythmic section. Sounds really progressive.It's a plessure to listen to this album as a whole.

There is no super hits as Untouchable or Everything, but band is exploring themselves further and "You're not alone" is a great example of how good this band is. That song is a diamond of this album. It actaully sounds a lot like recent Archive (triphop/rock), but it's a good influence which give an extra satisfaction to Anathema sound.

I don't know if this is as good as the Weather Systems, but it really is a great continuation of this new era of Anathema, which is my favorite of their career.

The band still get more mature with every release, and I believe we are still to see their best yet.
----
the riddle wants to be...
01.06.2014 - 19:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Hnnnng can't wait to hear this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.06.2014 - 08:19
RedOctober
Account deleted
Did anyone find "Ariel" or "Anathema" borrowing elements from "Nights in White Satin" ?
05.06.2014 - 05:01
SyntheticBreed

Ariel is the best moment of this album, flawless.
05.06.2014 - 07:06
Rating: 7
BehzadSh

In my opinion, Distant Satellites & Take Shelter are the worst tracks of this album. I don't like this much electronic (or whatever you name that goops goops ) in music.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
05.06.2014 - 07:31
RedOctober
Account deleted
Written by BehzadSh on 05.06.2014 at 07:06

In my opinion, Distant Satellites & Take Shelter are the worst tracks of this album. I don't like this much electronic (or whatever you name it that goops goops ) in music.

I 2nd you. You're not alone is absolute trash. Firelight is a filler.

Lost Part 1 and 2 sounds like they trying to create another "Untouchable". Lost part 3 is boring.

And either Ariel or Anathema borrows from Nights in White Satin. Highly Disappointing.
05.06.2014 - 12:07
God Alone

Take Shelter and especially the title-track (at 4:44 - WOW) are the best songs. They should go full electronic on the next album, because the rest sounds a bit rehashed, but still damn good imho.
You're Not Alone is bound to become another Get Off Get Out (hence the most hated by many fans), but I find it pretty cool, especially in the frenzied second half.
Except for Firelight, which just sets the mood for the title-track, the only song that didn't grab me is Dusk. Maybe it will grow on me.
Also... Lyrics seem to be slightly improved, but at times they're still awful. LOVE SO STROOOONG IT HUUUUURTS!!!!
05.06.2014 - 22:21
BehzadSh

Written by Guest on 05.06.2014 at 07:31

In my opinion, Distant Satellites & Take Shelter are the worst tracks of this album. I don't like this much electronic (or whatever you name it that goops goops ) in music.

Lost Part 1 and 2 sounds like they trying to create another "Untouchable". Lost part 3 is boring.

And either Ariel or Anathema borrows from Nights in White Satin. Highly Disappointing.

I agree with you, but first five tracks are so much better than the last 5 tracks. except more from this album...
----
05.06.2014 - 22:22
Rating: 6
raveneffect

Ok after hearing the full album, I'd say this is a 7. half seems re-done and the other half it just goes to electronic and I really dont like that mix.

Maybe it will grow into me but right now the first impressions werent the best
05.06.2014 - 22:27
BehzadSh

Written by God Alone on 05.06.2014 at 12:07

Take Shelter and especially the title-track (at 4:44 - WOW) are the best songs. They should go full electronic on the next album, because the rest sounds a bit rehashed, but still damn good imho.
You're Not Alone is bound to become another Get Off Get Out (hence the most hated by many fans), but I find it pretty cool, especially in the frenzied second half.
Except for Firelight, which just sets the mood for the title-track, the only song that didn't grab me is Dusk. Maybe it will grow on me.
Also... Lyrics seem to be slightly improved, but at times they're still awful. LOVE SO STROOOONG IT HUUUUURTS!!!!

You have exactly opposite taste of my taste in music, I hate the last two tracks, I tried but it's just rubbish... it'd be better without that kind of mix and less electronic
----
06.06.2014 - 09:48
annodomini

Written by Guest on 05.06.2014 at 07:31

That's interesting, cause those two are probably my favorites at the moment, but maybe because i like Trip-hop and sxperiments between rock and elenctronic music.
----
the riddle wants to be...
06.06.2014 - 20:00
Schnabeltier 24

The electronic stuff is not necessarily bad, but it sometimes feels out of the music, could've been used in a better way. Still an interesting evolution.
Overall, I really liked this album, although some songs are weaker than some others (Part 3, Distant Satellites)...
----
Hey there, tiny wench !
07.06.2014 - 00:21
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
This is definitely hard to get into but a grower. After four listens, I find the first 6 songs really really good, especially The Lost Song Part 1, Ariel and Anathema. The Lost Song Part 3 is the only one in this first block that doesn't quite meet the quality of the other tracks.

Then the album completely changes into an electronic experiment. It does sound good, but my mind still can't connect both parts as being on the same album.

That being said, You're Not Alone sounds good if taken out of context from the previous songs. Firelight is just an intro. Take Shelter is a good finale, I love the build up of the song. Which leaves us with the title track, Distant Satellites, which at first is hard to believe it comes from Anathema. It's more like if Coldplay started doing good music.

This is another step forward in what concerns Anathema's career constant change and search for new sounds, but this time they went too far as to be so easily digested by the majority of the fans. I think I'd rather have a couple more tracks after Anathema and then this electronic experiment as a different release, maybe an EP.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
08.06.2014 - 17:34
Góral
Combo Breaker
This album will arouse extreme emotions..
08.06.2014 - 18:20
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Guest on 04.06.2014 at 08:19

Did anyone find "Ariel" or "Anathema" borrowing elements from "Nights in White Satin" ?

Personally, I don't see the similarities. Rather, I see more inspiration from Sigur Rós/Atoms For Peace ("Take Shelter").
09.06.2014 - 22:18
Rating: 10
Sovereign87

Just listened to it twice but I really really like this new album, even the electronic part.

You're not Alone is quite odd and doesn't really fit the rest of the album imo but it's still enjoyable (especially the ending riff really cool and evil).
Firelight is a nice ambient piece but they should have put it together with distant satellites as it's just the intro.

Also the orchestra sounds really great perfectly mixed with the voices and the guitars, I have very good headphones and the result is truly outstanding !

My only complaint would be the drums, very well mixed but too repetitive on some part, they can improve it a lot I think.

This album is not a disappointment after Weather System (their best for me) and it adds a new perspective to Anathema music.

I would rate it 8,5, probably 9, in a few days because it needs more listens.
10.06.2014 - 06:01
JayMo4

So far it seems like if you like the last two albums and don't mind a bit of a darker feel then you should be happy. On first listen there are no specific moments that grab me quite as hard as A Simple Mistake or Untouchable I, but that could change with a few more spins. I do think on the next album it might be time to take that next step, maybe break out of the formula of the previous three. But I like this one so far.
12.06.2014 - 13:11
Rating: 10
Pimeässä
Pimeässä
Fantastic art
13.06.2014 - 05:08
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Really solid album, I dig it!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
13.06.2014 - 14:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
"Take Shelter" is growing on me, such a great song. A lot of people seem to complain about the electronic bits but Anathema's last albums already had a lot of those moments, even if it is more pronounced on this album.

Anathema will always take their music one step further and they did it again. Yes, it's a bit different but I'm enjoying it. Let's see how I feel after more listens.

Having said that, I understand why some people won't like it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.06.2014 - 09:40
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Written by Dark Forever on 07.06.2014 at 00:21

This is definitely hard to get into but a grower. After four listens, I find the first 6 songs really really good, especially The Lost Song Part 1, Ariel and Anathema. The Lost Song Part 3 is the only one in this first block that doesn't quite meet the quality of the other tracks.

Then the album completely changes into an electronic experiment. It does sound good, but my mind still can't connect both parts as being on the same album.
Distant Satellites, which at first is hard to believe it comes from Anathema. It's more like if Coldplay started doing good music.

DUDE! I swear to god I thought the EXACT same thing when I heard that song.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal

Hits total: 19523 | This month: 45