01. Dymy
02. Samuel Wraca Do Domu
03. Mieczów Siedem
04. Serca Tu Mają Tylko Dzwony
05. Sen Jest Lżejszy Od Powietrza
06. Karawanem Fiat
07. Bieluń I Chryzantemy
08. Bądź Miłościw

It's curious to see what long absences from the music scene can do to bands when they finally hop back into it, either resulting in them losing momentum and slowly crumbling, or, on rarer occasions, being reborn into a completely different, though just as potent entity. This year, with Kołysanki, Lux Occulta are giving us quite a stunning example of the latter case.

If someone had told you in 1996 that 18 years later Lux Occulta would be playing a surreal form of electronic Avantgarde metal, you probably would've looked at them like they were from Nibiru. Yet nonetheless, here they are after a 13 year period of silence, doing just that. A few of the ideas Lux Occulta left off with on The Mother And The Enemy are still present, but for the most part they've been thrown out the window, and what's left has been taken to an entirely different level. Right from the start with "Dymy," Kołysanki establishes ground in a heavy synth atmosphere, with very groovy beats and rhythms (accentuated by an excellent choice in percussion), and vocals (in Polish this time!) that dance between charismatic singing and interesting spoken word, utilizing both to great effect.

There's really a lot going on here musically, and even though Kołysanki more or less sits in this pseudo-techno metal core, it's still very difficult to put an exact label on it because of the large degree of sound variation both within and amongst its tracks. "Samuel Wraca Do Domu," for example, with its use of sax, double bass, and organ, sounds more like a jazz piece from the early 1900s than anything else, and when the metal elements creep into it, it becomes even more bizarre. Other tracks, such as the amazing "Karawanem Fiat," take a bit of a neoclassical approach, with acoustic guitar work that would delight even the most seasoned of flamenco listeners.

Kołysanki is definitely not easy listening, and you probably won't entirely "get it" on your first, or even your second listen. With this album, Lux Occulta have crafted something truly original and majestic: a blend of personalities, a haze of influences, where the album's eccentricity is part of what makes it so alluring, and its multi-layered atmosphere is part of what will attract listeners to wanting to understand it more. This is quite possibly my favorite release of the year thus far, for most if not all of the reasons listed above. It's structured and it's chaotic, it's jazzy and it's electronic, it's simple, but it's also complex, in a series of musical paradoxes that make it both an extremely intriguing but also an extremely challenging album to digest. And that's exactly what makes it so beautiful.

Surrender to the madness!

Written on 30.03.2014 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 45   Visited by: 235 users
04.02.2015 - 13:43
Ivor
Staff
Written by Ilham on 04.02.2015 at 12:36

Written by Ivor on 04.02.2015 at 12:03

Well, that's one problem less than I have.
I.

I could rid you of that problem too.

You mean that you'll translate the French or that you will teach me French? If the latter, I can assure you that 5 years of Hellfests haven't managed more than merci, oui and merde. But yeah, I'd be interested in the overall topic, whether it's Polish or French.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
04.02.2015 - 15:10
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Ivor on 04.02.2015 at 13:43

You mean that you'll translate the French or that you will teach me French? If the latter, I can assure you that 5 years of Hellfests haven't managed more than merci, oui and merde. But yeah, I'd be interested in the overall topic, whether it's Polish or French.
I.

Haha, no, the extent of my generosity only goes as far as translating lyrics for MS users from time to time. I haven't listened to this yet, was meaning to anyway, so I might as well try to write down anything I catch .
04.02.2015 - 17:14
Rating: 8
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Ivor on 04.02.2015 at 12:03

Well, that's one problem less than I have.

I.

At least I can try:

Dymy - First part: a man, probably a soldier sings a lullaby to a child. He feels sorry but he had to burn his/her village and kill his/her parents. He is probably going to kill that child too because 'he has orders'. Second part: A man is in panic because the enemy army is near. He can see smoke(s) of burning buildings and he knows that he is going to die soon. It is generally about merciless of war, cruelty of soldiers.

Samuel wraca do domu - About church/religion. Man is trying to escape from priests. He wants to be free again. Have free will.

Mieczów siedem - At the beginning: poetic lyrics, maybe a quote from a novel, hard to say. I think it is about confusion, doubts, uncertainty, reflections, religion. Everything is like double-edged sword.

Serca tu mają tylko dzwony - Another song about church/religion. How church can dominate human. Only bells have hearts in church.

Sen jest lżejszy od powietrza - 100% French

Karawanem fiat - First part: sister and brother are in car and they are trying to get somewhere but there is an undefined danger which is waiting for them. Second part: Funeral procession, children are probably dead and people are throwing flowers at the car.

Bieluń i chryzantemy - I'm not sure. Maybe about decline of human life.

Bądź Miłościw - Church lament, prayer, woman begs son of god to be merciful (I guess )

Honestly pretty much every song is somehow related to religion. Some lyrics are ambiguous and open for interpretations. You can ask Daniell or Pazdzioch. They may have different opinions.
05.02.2015 - 12:13
Ivor
Staff
Written by Hex_Omega on 04.02.2015 at 17:14

Cheers man! The music seems to imply the lyrical content to some extent, ie a it's fitting match.

I.
----
/---/
05.02.2015 - 15:10
Deadsoulman

Fyi, the French bits in Dymy are from Jean Racine's play Andromaque. This part is about the fall of Troy (the city, not Killjoy) if I'm not mistaken. If you want the translation, well, just get an Estonian version of the play
05.02.2015 - 23:08
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Deadsoulman on 05.02.2015 at 15:10

Fyi, the French bits in Dymy are from Jean Racine's play Andromaque. This part is about the fall of Troy (the city, not Killjoy) if I'm not mistaken. If you want the translation, well, just get an Estonian version of the play

It's amazing the level of depth I'm discovering this album has from all these comments.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
05.02.2015 - 23:33
Ivor
Staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 05.02.2015 at 23:08

It's amazing the level of depth I'm discovering this album has from all these comments.

To be frank I'm surprised you didn't inquire into that when writing the review. But yes, it appears aptly deep.

I.
----
/---/
06.02.2015 - 00:33
Darkside Momo
Retired

This one is a long quote - first half of the poem "Contre !" ("Against !") from "La nuit remue" ("the night moves", or maybe "the night stirs") by Henri Michaux.
Weird stuff, difficult to explain - but the link to religion is there too.

The sung part eludes me, however. It's not part of that poem, and I don't understand more than a few words ("une petite mort": "a little death", an expression that can also mean orgasm) so...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
06.02.2015 - 00:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Ivor on 05.02.2015 at 23:33

To be frank I'm surprised you didn't inquire into that when writing the review

Well, even if I had, I'd doubt I'd know what all these languages are saying, or referencing, as all the people on this thread have been elaborating upon. And why? Because I'm not fluent in them
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.02.2015 - 00:44
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress

Lots of words

I love when users can offer their wisdom on the culture a band is originating from, or referencing with their music. The whole response this review has generated reminds me a lot of when I reviewed the new Cult Of Fire album and it got some interesting commentary from a lot of our Indian users. Thank you for this insightful information
----

~ II. VII
06.02.2015 - 00:49
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Hex_Omega on 31.03.2014 at 10:54

Written by Daniell on 31.03.2014 at 00:10

Actually

05. Sen Jest Lżejszy Od Powietrza = Sleep Is Lighter Than Air
06. Karawanem Fiat = Fiat As A Hearse

Hm... actually it depends on what the author wanted to say. Both 'Dream' and 'Sleep' might be correct. And 'Karawanem Fiat' is quite confusing for me.

Sen Jest Lżejszy Od Powietrza: I suppose "Dream" would be better than "Sleep". The French poem has nothing to do with sleep, but it's quite surrealistic, so I feel "Dream" would fit better
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
06.02.2015 - 11:44
Deadsoulman

Written by Darkside Momo on 06.02.2015 at 00:33

This one is a long quote - first half of the poem "Contre !" ("Against !") from "La nuit remue" ("the night moves", or maybe "the night stirs") by Henri Michaux.
Weird stuff, difficult to explain - but the link to religion is there too.

I didn't know that poem, I read it and it's... it's pretty brutal. It's quite weird as you said, but there's some sort of underlying violence that's quite surprising and unusual given the period in which it was published.
Actually, it reminds me a bit of some of Elend's texts. I wonder if they've got some of their inspiration from that guy.
06.02.2015 - 12:12
Ivor
Staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 06.02.2015 at 00:38

Well, even if I had, I'd doubt I'd know what all these languages are saying, or referencing, as all the people on this thread have been elaborating upon. And why? Because I'm not fluent in them

I'm not saying you would be fluent or understand everything but given your interest in the album, and how much you liked it, it's just surprising you didn't try to get a glimpse at another facet of it. The depth, as you mentioned previously, is amazing, even if you only can understand it as a secondhand interpretation.

I.
----
/---/
06.02.2015 - 13:34
Rating: 8
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Auntie Sahar on 06.02.2015 at 00:44

Lots of words

I love when users can offer their wisdom on the culture a band is originating from, or referencing with their music. The whole response this review has generated reminds me a lot of when I reviewed the new Cult Of Fire album and it got some interesting commentary from a lot of our Indian users. Thank you for this insightful information

I'm glad I could help
04.12.2015 - 07:58
glassstate

It's very useful topic for Kolysanki-lovers.
A little correction: there's no any sax in this album, but trumpet only (Trąbka in Polish).
Some lyrics you can find here: http://www.tekstowo.pl/piosenki_artysty,lux_occulta.html
It's interesting discussion about Dymy. There is word Dymy in Russian and it means the same
[smoke(s) of several burning buildings, for example], but it's no way a verb here.

Hits total: 8666 | This month: 18