Metal Storm logo
Atmospheric black or death metal

20.05.2006 - 18:23
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
This time i am looking for something similar to old Amorphis albums like Tales From The Thousand Lakes,or Arcturus,La Masquerade Infernale.I don't mind if the band that you suggest has any keyboards and i don't care if the vocals are clean or they are just DM or BM vocals.
20.05.2006 - 23:11
Varoth
Account deleted
I'm not sure about the ones you mentioned, but for some excellent atmospheric DM, you should check Septic Flesh. You might have heard of them, since they are from your country... but anyway, if you didn't, check their album Esoptron. It's a real masterpiece, IMO. Sumerian Daemons is good too, but their sound got a little more developed there. I prefer their older sound.
21.05.2006 - 11:05
Narterath
Atmospheric Death Metal? Nocturnus maybe?
Just get The Key, and it will rock your socks out
21.05.2006 - 12:08
Revenant
Account deleted
If you dont mind some folk instruments try Moonsorrow
21.05.2006 - 13:45
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
I second Angelripper on Nocturnus there and Varoth on Septic Flesh's Esoptron. Both are essential Atmospheric Death Metal releases.

Also try Old Amorphis (TFTTL & Karelian Isthumus), any Depresy album(all are really good), and try out Necrophobic's The Nocturnal Silence.

Mind you all of these are Atmospheric Death Metal bands.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
21.05.2006 - 14:12
Daru Jericho
Hm...well, there's an unsigned Belgium band called Thurisaz and they're awesome. They describe themselves as atmospheric death/black metal.

And possibly Dissection?
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

21.05.2006 - 17:47
dark awakening
Check Summoning, Dol Guldur(cd) has great atmospheres
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
21.05.2006 - 18:15
Damnated
Churchburner
Negura Bunget
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
24.05.2006 - 20:23
mvikred
Ive been listening to Nocturnus lately, and i strongly suggest u listen to their album 'The Key', you'll surely love it
----
I'm addicted to Technical Death Metal ... Somebody save me
25.05.2006 - 04:59
Southern Wind
Account deleted
The Black Metal band that creates the better atmosphere is probably Velvet Cacoon
14.06.2006 - 16:12
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I dunno what you actually take under 'Atmospheric' and I haven't heard the albums you mentioned, so I might be completely off, but don't blame me then.

Alcest-Le Secret. I recommend it to everyone, got it from Cryptic, great great haunting BM, but far from what you might expect.

Urfaust is kinda atmospheric, though more 'evil'. I also say Behemoth's old BM period.

Viking/Black, and surely Atmospheric, is Manegarm-Havets Vargar. Masterpiece.

Good luck.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.06.2006 - 16:55
hottercraft
Try with SUMMONING, they are one of my favourite bands!!
14.06.2006 - 20:13
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
I'm disappointed, no mention of Asphyx

That's some atmospheric death metal from the early nineties (except On the Wings of Inferno in 2003). I wholeheartedly recommend especially The Rack, but also the self titled album and Last One on Earth.
14.06.2006 - 21:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes is a masterpiece of atmospheric death metal and also melodic death metal in the true sense of the word. So NOT what peopel tend to call melodic death metal nowadays (which has nothing to do with death metal at all)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.06.2006 - 21:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes is a masterpiece of atmospheric death metal and also melodic death metal in the true sense of the word. So NOT what peopel tend to call melodic death metal nowadays (which has nothing to do with death metal at all)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.06.2006 - 01:24
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.06.2006 at 21:47

I strongly second this. 'Slumber of Sullen Eyes' is a monumental release. One of 'epic' proportions. I am a big fan. I want to find this CD in a store some day. I would really love to own it. Demigod created something fantastic with this album. A gem.
----
The force will be with you, always.
16.06.2006 - 14:27
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
Oh, one more thing. Many people won't agree with me on this, perhaps including the original poster, since this isn't so old school atmospheric DM, but Nile's In Their Darkened Shrines has some of the most overwhelming and involving atmospheres I've encountered in this field of music. The album goes from solemn and beautiful to ominous and doomsaying all the time weaving the listener into a web of ambience.
16.06.2006 - 16:05
Narterath
Written by Guest on 16.06.2006 at 14:27

Oh, one more thing. Many people won't agree with me on this, perhaps including the original poster, since this isn't so old school atmospheric DM, but Nile's In Their Darkened Shrines has some of the most overwhelming and involving atmospheres I've encountered in this field of music. The album goes from solemn and beautiful to ominous and doomsaying all the time weaving the listener into a web of ambience.

I agree. I was thinking of mentioning Nile too in my post, don't know why I forgot
16.06.2006 - 16:09
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Oh, well I agree too.

And other than I agree, I just HAVE to say that I love it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.06.2006 - 16:35
Damnated
Churchburner
Try also Evol. They are pretty good, combining atmospheric black metal with some folk.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
20.06.2006 - 23:12
Snowballdemon
Account deleted
I'd recommend you Dawn of Dreams (the German one) - pretty similar to Septic Flesh, only with more BM elements - tremolo riffing, blastbeats and such. They're also a lot heavier and don't incorporate any clean vocals. But I'd go as far as to say that they create better atmosphere than Garden of Shadows, which is a difficult task to accomplish.

You can also check out a polish band called Dominium, but they play a more progressive (sometimes almost too progressive) type of DM. Still, they are a very good listen.
20.06.2006 - 23:15
ISAAC
Account deleted
Portal (aus). Hands down best black/death metal band I have yet to encounter. So, soo chaotic.
20.06.2006 - 23:17
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Well, I suppose most of you are familiar with Akercocke but I find them to be pretty damn atmospheric. It rekindled my interest toward extreme metal, although Akercocke, at least their most recent album, is quite melodic. Great band.
21.06.2006 - 02:03
Daru Jericho
I want to add Black Funeral to this thread. Good atmospheric BM from North America I believe.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

07.07.2006 - 13:44
Callette
Account deleted
You've heard Dolorian? Unknown finnish doom black metal band. I've oly heard their latest album Voidwards and it's kinda stuff you have to listen the whole album straight through. And some songs are almost 10 mitutes long.
07.07.2006 - 20:26
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 07.07.2006 at 13:44

You've heard Dolorian? Unknown finnish doom black metal band. I've oly heard their latest album Voidwards and it's kinda stuff you have to listen the whole album straight through. And some songs are almost 10 mitutes long.

I also second this. The band is very dark. Especially 'When All The Laughter Has Gone' and of course their self-titled.
----
The force will be with you, always.
07.07.2006 - 20:36
Tyrant Of Souls
Account deleted
Hmm, i would definately recommend Poland's Profanum. Especially the ' Profanum aeternum, eminence.... ' album.... Noguitars in it but still as Black metal as it gets... It can't get much more atmospheric than this....
27.08.2006 - 02:45
Anathemani@c
I would strongly recommend Moonspell-Irreligius and Memoriam and Septic Flesh-Esoptron. Also, give it a try for Primordial-The gathering wilderness!!!
All of them are
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
27.08.2006 - 15:17
Damnated
Churchburner
Or you can try Burzum Hvis Lyset Tar Oss album, to be more acurate.
----

28.08.2006 - 12:50
ylside
Staff
Written by Guest on 20.06.2006 at 23:12

I'd recommend you Dawn of Dreams (the German one) - pretty similar to Septic Flesh, only with more BM elements - tremolo riffing, blastbeats and such. They're also a lot heavier and don't incorporate any clean vocals. But I'd go as far as to say that they create better atmosphere than Garden of Shadows, which is a difficult task to accomplish.

Hurr, better atmosphere than Garden of Shadows ? I may investigate that then...

Oh and of course, Pan.Thy.Monium... Try their Dawn Of Dreams or Khaoos and Kon-Fus-Ion album, This is some serious Athmospheric DM.