Metal Storm logo
Atmospheric black or death metal

Original post

Posted by , 20.05.2006 - 18:23
This time i am looking for something similar to old Amorphis albums like Tales From The Thousand Lakes,or Arcturus,La Masquerade Infernale.I don't mind if the band that you suggest has any keyboards and i don't care if the vocals are clean or they are just DM or BM vocals.
20.05.2011 - 05:39
ß
Problem?
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, it's not hard to fall in love with their work. But I have a tough time liking Panopticon. I like his first album though, the self titled one but the recent one I still can't get into it. Fen is awesome as usual. Gallowbraid reminds me of October Falls. Petrychor is just immense. I'll check out Branikald soon.

I'm not too wild about Panopticon either but give the split with Skagos a try. I myself prefer that over any of his full lengths.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
20.05.2011 - 06:29
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 20.05.2011 at 04:44

Written by Guest on 20.05.2011 at 04:32

Written by The Turbanator on 20.05.2011 at 03:45

Written by Guest on 19.05.2011 at 22:21

I've really been enjoying Black Metal that happens to have an atmospheric edge to it. My favorite overall has been Panopticon, but I'm also listening to a lot of stuff by Skagos, Fen, and Kataxu, and I'm keeping a close eye on young upstart bands like Oskoreien, Gallowbraid, and Petrychor.

Winterfylleth can be considered atmospheric as well. Really good band from the UK. But so far my favorite is Walknut. They need to release more albums. 'Graveforest and their Shadows' is the pure definition of atmospheric black metal.

I, too, quite enjoy Walknut. To me, it sounds like a modern version of Branikald.

Yeah, it's not hard to fall in love with their work. But I have a tough time liking Panopticon. I like his first album though, the self titled one but the recent one I still can't get into it. Fen is awesome as usual. Gallowbraid reminds me of October Falls. Petrychor is just immense. I'll check out Branikald soon.

An Autumn For Crippled Children. have you heard of them? I'm hooked to them now, really good atmospheric music. And then we have the usual suspects Darkspace, Evilfeast, Fauna, Impavida (although it's more labelled as Depressive, but it creates this eerie atmosphere that will suck you into it.. just like that Korean band Pyha) and Unheilvoll. Really good bands, worth checking out.

With Panopticon, I too like their debut more than their later work (I adore their debut, by the way), but it's starting to grow on me. With Branikald, you should only check out any album he made before the year 2000, because on that year, Kaldrad Branislav adopted Nazi ideologies and the quality of his music suffered as a result. I am also quite familiar with An Autumn For Crippled Children. Their name maybe horrible, but their music is fantastic.
20.05.2011 - 13:59
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 20.05.2011 at 06:29

Written by The Turbanator on 20.05.2011 at 04:44

Written by Guest on 20.05.2011 at 04:32

Written by The Turbanator on 20.05.2011 at 03:45

Written by Guest on 19.05.2011 at 22:21

I've really been enjoying Black Metal that happens to have an atmospheric edge to it. My favorite overall has been Panopticon, but I'm also listening to a lot of stuff by Skagos, Fen, and Kataxu, and I'm keeping a close eye on young upstart bands like Oskoreien, Gallowbraid, and Petrychor.

Winterfylleth can be considered atmospheric as well. Really good band from the UK. But so far my favorite is Walknut. They need to release more albums. 'Graveforest and their Shadows' is the pure definition of atmospheric black metal.

I, too, quite enjoy Walknut. To me, it sounds like a modern version of Branikald.

An Autumn For Crippled Children. have you heard of them? I'm hooked to them now, really good atmospheric music. And then we have the usual suspects Darkspace, Evilfeast, Fauna, Impavida (although it's more labelled as Depressive, but it creates this eerie atmosphere that will suck you into it.. just like that Korean band Pyha) and Unheilvoll. Really good bands, worth checking out.

With Panopticon, I too like their debut more than their later work (I adore their debut, by the way), but it's starting to grow on me. With Branikald, you should only check out any album he made before the year 2000, because on that year, Kaldrad Branislav adopted Nazi ideologies and the quality of his music suffered as a result. I am also quite familiar with An Autumn For Crippled Children. Their name maybe horrible, but their music is fantastic.

Nice one. I'll look into Branikald. Also (just mentioned this in the Weakling thread), try listening to Velnias. Sovereign Nocturnal album. I used to blast it everyday for a month. One of my favorite, as well.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
26.05.2011 - 16:35
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
A couple of brutal death metal bands that ooze atmosphere: Ulcerate and Mitochondrion
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
09.06.2011 - 14:56
Arsen

Here's some atmospheric prog death/black metal.

26.06.2011 - 22:25
Aristarchos

Early The Crown, early At The Gates, great ADM
29.06.2011 - 09:40
The Turbanator

For atmospheric Black Metal, you guys should listen to Sieghetnar. He's really good. This is a 33 minutes long track.

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
29.06.2011 - 12:49
Aristarchos

Also Lykathea Aflame
29.06.2011 - 15:41
Aristarchos

By the way. Is there something called atmospheric thrash?
09.07.2011 - 15:47
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Written by Aristarchos on 29.06.2011 at 15:41

No there isn't, and IMO it's pretty impossible.
10.07.2011 - 09:41
Plague

Listen to Demon Advance by Beherit.
----
Darkness is part of your nature...embrace it and emancipate your evil wickedness!
Infernal soldiers demonized,
Fucked up angels sodomized,
Face of the earth dechristianized
The universe...SATANIZED!
18.05.2012 - 06:23
The Turbanator

Really good Atmospheric BM from Italy.

----
19.05.2012 - 18:23
Oaken
Hipster
The latest atmospheric black metal albums I've listened to were Chaos Moon's Languor Into Echoes, Beyond and Petrychor's Effigies And Epitaphs. Cool albums.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
20.05.2012 - 08:54
Mr. Blonde

Atmospheric Death bands are pretty few and far between. But I think Ethereal Blue fits the classification. It's not just the word ethereal, they actually live up to that moniker. They are not really melodeath, they are more traditional but their sound is yet relaxing much of the time and they incorporate a mix of cleans and growls. It's quite radically different from Amorphis' Elegy or 1k Lakes (both of which I love) but the concept of death sections and atmospheric sections is there. EB only has a couple albums and it's a similar style on each.

Someone much earlier in this thread mentioned how in Death metal, a lot of the more atmospheric sounds seem to stem from a specific cultural identity. For example, the interludes on many of Nile's albums are atmospheric, but Nile still is not even remotely an atmospheric DM band. But with Ethereal Blue, I can't identify any culture that their atmosphere would belong too, so I would have to chalk it up to being just straight forward atmospheric, perhaps a bit Gothic in nature, but not Gothic metal.
03.09.2012 - 21:16
The Turbanator

Found a few bands that I recommend. Mostly are post/atmospheric BM . Check them out (all are free download on their bandcamp page) :

CAPA - Shallow Towers : http://capa.bandcamp.com/

LASTER - Wijsgeer & Narreman : http://laster.bandcamp.com/album/wijsgeer-narreman

WHITE OAK : http://whiteoak.genootschap.org/

^ those were all 2012 releases. For earlier years :

WILLOOS - Vanquished Memories of a Broken Past : http://willoos.bandcamp.com/album/vanquished-memories-of-a-broken-past

and also

^ reminds me of Desolate Winds. Only available on tape though.
----
11.09.2012 - 00:45
Dechef

Written by BurbotsRevenge on 26.05.2011 at 16:35

A couple of brutal death metal bands that ooze atmosphere: Ulcerate and Mitochondrion

Seconded, add Mithras to the mix as well, and you've got a dream trio.
16.09.2012 - 23:08
Vombatus
Potorro
Currently mesmerized by this:

17.09.2012 - 06:59
The Turbanator

Written by Vombatus on 16.09.2012 at 23:08

Currently mesmerized by this:

Fantastic!
----
18.09.2012 - 03:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Narterath on 21.05.2006 at 11:05

Atmospheric Death Metal? Nocturnus maybe?
Just get The Key, and it will rock your socks out

Just wanted to mention that album. Good thing I checked back to the opening page.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.09.2012 - 17:16
Sangre Sani

Whatcha think?

This is Polish band Furia. Try some other of their songs.
20.09.2012 - 09:29
AntifaMetalhead

You could also check Agruss from Ukraine. They released a full-length album this year called "Morok".
----
Support Underground and Red and Anarchist metal
24.09.2012 - 14:57
Dööm

Written by Guest on 09.07.2011 at 15:47

The closest thing to atmospheric thrash could be Metallica's The Call of ktulu. But it might not be very thrashy - just made by a, back then, thrash band. Anyway, I still think The Call of Ktulu is one of the best pieces of atmospheric metal ever.
Another Metallica piece which could be called atmospheric thrash is To Live Is To Die (I think that's what it's called) from ... And Justice For All.

Regarding atmospheric death metal, I recommend both Harnessing Ruin and Majesty And Decay by Immolation. The latter is especially dark and gloomy.
28.02.2013 - 16:51
Aristarchos

Written by Dööm on 24.09.2012 at 14:57

Written by Guest on 09.07.2011 at 15:47

The closest thing to atmospheric thrash could be Metallica's The Call of ktulu. But it might not be very thrashy - just made by a, back then, thrash band. Anyway, I still think The Call of Ktulu is one of the best pieces of atmospheric metal ever.
Another Metallica piece which could be called atmospheric thrash is To Live Is To Die (I think that's what it's called) from ... And Justice For All.

Regarding atmospheric death metal, I recommend both Harnessing Ruin and Majesty And Decay by Immolation. The latter is especially dark and gloomy.

The Call of Ktulu is one of my favourite metal songs ever.
28.02.2013 - 16:53
Aristarchos

Written by Sangre Sani on 18.09.2012 at 17:16

Whatcha think?

This is Polish band Furia. Try some other of their songs.

I love Furia too. Along with early Behemoth and Lutomysl my favourite black metal band. Some great more atmospheric black metal bands are Khors, Paysage d'Hiver, Wolves In The Throne Room (first album) and of course Burzum.
16.03.2013 - 06:29
no one
Account deleted
I'm loving lustre at the mo, my strength of solace is very late...getting a bit worried

Anyway, another bands more considered to be DSBM but i find very atmospheric would be Wedard and Gris
25.04.2013 - 19:37
hophead789

Kaneq is a Atmospheric Black metal project for the U.S. Sole member is a Native American. For fans of Walknut, Nargaroth, Bathory, Coldworld, Burzum, Wolves in the Throne Room, and The Ruins of Bevarest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxzn8hxdoFo
07.05.2013 - 07:04
Demonmayonnaise

Fallujah is a pretty good Atmospheric Death Metal band.
08.05.2013 - 17:32
Sunioj

Fallujah may have 'atmosphere' but they are certainly not Atmospheric in the metal/sound defining sense of the word.
09.05.2013 - 03:19
Demonmayonnaise

I'm no expert on "atmosphere" but their new E.P. sounds pretty atmospheric to me.
17.11.2013 - 06:38
no one
Account deleted
Been listening to thiss band today, very interesting so far