03. Воскресение
04. Дети Биркенау
05. Грязный Герой
06. Как Философия Губит Самоотверженных, Бескорыстных Бюрократов
07. Белорусский Снег
08. Всегда Так Было
09. Этой Песни Нет
10. Трос, Грузовик И Темный Балкон

Kypck's first album was a masterpiece - a devastatingly heavy and bleak ice-cold doom tomb that sounded like it had just stumbled in from the gulag. Their follow-up left something to be desired, with some songs that just didn't quite finish telling their stories, and others that never had much of one in the first place. So what direction does Имена на стене take?

As the plodding, gargantuan first notes of "Пророк" indicate, the focused heaviness of Черно is back in a big way. Kypck have managed to bring the unholy atmosphere that haunted those songs, once again turning an album into a forced march through six feet of snow. "Как философия губит самоотверженных, бескорыстных бюрократов" and "Дети Биркенау" showcase the divine crossroads forged by deep, dark, distorted guitars and the gritty, pained vocals of Erkki Seppänen. Evil riffs and an impenetrable wall of rhythm section collide with Seppänen's sometimes threatening, sometimes anguished delivery to create an unforgettable journey through imminent doom. This album has what Ниже lacked - power, fear, energy, and memorable melodies.

One of Kypck's strengths is their ability to create this abysmal atmosphere torn from an abandoned Soviet factory and encase them in songs that, while obviously musical and even catchy at times, do not sacrifice the powerful, overarching feeling for being individual units of sound. They can write riffs, melodies, whole songs that are saturated with impossible heaviness and yet still eerie, hollow, and ghostly. It is as if there is an angry spirit haunting the machine that grinds through the collective mind of Kypck, churning out these wicked death march soundtracks. As far as songwriting is concerned, they are slightly more adventurous and varied than on Черно, and the results are fantastic.

Имена на стене ends on a note quite representative of Kypck's whole approach. While "Трос, грузовик и темный балкон" is uncharacteristically up-tempo at times, it combines the band's talent for combining depressing forlornness with simple heaviness. Thusly the album ends, wistful and nearly dead.

Kypck are clearly still rockin' around the gulag. Имена на стене is a much stronger album than I had anticipated, and sits right alongside their first as an expert marriage of atmosphere and individual songs.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 06.04.2014 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 250 users
06.04.2014 - 13:37
Rating: 8
Reaper_Redeemer

Nice review sir
06.04.2014 - 16:10
psykometal
A staff guy...
Need to read this, and check their albums out. Been getting a lot more into non-traditional doom the past couple years, and these guys seem to rank pretty well in the Doom community, so they're on my to-do list.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

06.04.2014 - 18:23
Windrider
Raureif
Nice one, still have to get the album... But I slightly disagree on your opinion on Ниже. Фелица and Товарищам are very awesome songs, amongst other on the album.
06.04.2014 - 21:37
Rating: 9
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 06.04.2014 at 13:37

Nice review sir

Thank you, sir.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
06.04.2014 - 21:39
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Windrider on 06.04.2014 at 18:23

Nice one, still have to get the album... But I slightly disagree on your opinion on Ниже. Фелица and Товарищам are very awesome songs, amongst other on the album.

I really liked "Аллея Сталина" and "Бардак," but otherwise it wasn't as interesting as I had hoped. The two you mentioned are decent, but some were just too long for their own good.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
07.04.2014 - 00:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I wouldn't call any of their albums masterpieces. Exctremely average doom, nothing more, nothing less.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.04.2014 - 01:45
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.04.2014 at 00:35

I wouldn't call any of their albums masterpieces. Exctremely average doom, nothing more, nothing less.

At least this time I know that they are from Finland and not Russia, unlike my last review.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
09.03.2015 - 20:03
Netzach
Planewalker
As a longtime fan of Sentenced I have followed this band since their beginning. I still think Cherno is their best yet but this one is indeed a step up from the plodding Nizhe (which had a few great tracks, especially Tovarishcham). I don't know if Lopakka is the one playing the lead melodies but the melodic guitar playing has a lot in common with Sentenced which is why I return to Kypck a few times a year. I don't think they are underrated as such but surely they deserve more attention from the community!

Hits total: 15079 | This month: 12