02. Cusp Of Eternity
03. Moon Above, Sun Below
04. Elysian Woes
05. Goblin
06. River
07. Voice Of Treason
08. Faith In Others
09. Solitude [Black Sabbath cover] [live] [special edition bonus]
10. Var Kommer Barnen In [Hansson De Wolfe United cover] [live] [special edition bonus]
11. Atonement [live] [Japanese bonus]
12. Demon Of The Fall [live] [Japanese bonus]

Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded at Rockfield Studios, Monmouthshire, Wales, Junkmail Studios, Stockholm, Sweden, No Mans Land Studios, Hemel Hempstead, UK and Angel Studios, London, UK.
Produced by Mikael Akerfeldt.
Co-production by Opeth and Tom Dalgety.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt.
Engineered by Tom Dalgety.
Mastered by Pascal Byrne.

"Solitude" - Recorded live at Stockholm Sodra Teatern in April 2012.
"Var Kommer Barnen In" - Recorded live at Stockholm Sodra Teatern in April 2012.

All Lyrics Written by Mikael Akerfeldt.

Artwork designed by Travis Smith.
Artwork concept by Mikael Åkerfeldt.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
N/A
Opeth have softened their sound. This is old news, and this is also an old sound. Pale Communion is their sophomore in a retrograde and vintage style of progressive rock, yet it remains poised with their distinctive craftsmanship. The question arises as to whether this record builds upon the band's efforts in Heritage. It does.

Read more ››
published 20.08.2014 | Comments (61)

Guest review by
WayTooManyCDs
Rating:
My favorite band is Opeth; I was on the bandwagon around the days of My Arms, Your Hearse and have never jumped off. When it comes to an album like Pale Communion there is an important question I've had to ask myself: do I like Opeth because they're a metal band or do I like Opeth because of the way they play their music? Is it the heavy death metal growls that make them so great or the overall vibe they create with their experimentation? In the end, I find it is the latter that is true for me in both cases.

Read more ››
published 31.05.2016 | Comments (6)

Found in 64 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 204   Visited by: 1990 users
08.04.2014 - 18:36
mz

Unfortunately, the extreme opeth is now dead. Will not probably listen to this record this year. I'd rather forget about modern opeth :'(
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
08.04.2014 - 18:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 08.04.2014 at 18:36

Unfortunately, the extreme opeth is now dead. Will not probably listen to this record this year. I'd rather forget about modern opeth :'(

Well Watershed was only two albums back, and that was on par with BwP as far as I'm concerned, so I'm not ready to count Opeth out just yet
08.04.2014 - 18:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 08.04.2014 at 18:39

Well Watershed was only two albums back, and that was on par with BwP as far as I'm concerned, so I'm not ready to count Opeth out just yet

Akerfeldt has said as much as that they won't go back to that sound. Because the current third rate 70s prog sound is where his heart's at.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.04.2014 - 18:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2014 at 18:42

Akerfeldt has said as much as that they won't go back to that sound. Because the current third rate 70s prog sound is where his heart's at.

Well I glanced at that song-by-song preview that was up and it sounded like it might not be as straight up as Snoritage. The total lack of death growls is a worry though.
08.04.2014 - 18:49
mz

I should have clarified that I mean post-watershed and not post-BWP by modern opeth. During this few years I'v been convinced that watershed is indeed an excellent album but as Marcel said, they left their extreme side behind and their future stuff would probably just be one dimensional retro prog/hard rock.
Opeth could literary be the best band ever for me if they did not release heritage.
----
08.04.2014 - 18:51
Shmyt

I'm hopeful.
08.04.2014 - 18:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 08.04.2014 at 18:49

I should have clarified that I mean post-watershed and not post-BWP by modern opeth. During this few years I'v been convinced that watershed is indeed an excellent album but as Marcel said, they left their extreme side behind and their future stuff would probably just be one dimensional retro prog/hard rock.
Opeth could literary be the best band ever for me if they did not release heritage.

Well have a look at this. It sounds at least more promising than Heritage ever could have.
08.04.2014 - 19:04
mz

Written by Guest on 08.04.2014 at 18:51

Well have a look at this. It sounds at least more promising than Heritage ever could have.

Yeah that review is promising, but the reviewer seems to be too fond of damnation.
----
08.04.2014 - 19:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 08.04.2014 at 19:04

Yeah that review is promising, but the reviewer seems to be too fond of damnation.

True, and also liked Ghost Reveries and not Watershed, which is the opposite of myself.
08.04.2014 - 19:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 08.04.2014 at 19:07

Written by mz on 08.04.2014 at 19:04

True, and also liked Ghost Reveries and not Watershed, which is the opposite of myself.

And once again Steven Wilson is there to unleash his reversed Midas touch
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.04.2014 - 19:19
mz

Written by Guest on 08.04.2014 at 19:07

I really love GR, even more than watershed. It's probably my 2nd most favorite opeth album
----
08.04.2014 - 19:49
Dargor

I don't really mind the lack of growls, even if I know I'll miss it. If I want something that sounds like Opeth with growls, I'll go listen to Witherscape and that'll be good enough for me.
So this album is supposedly the best of Damnation and Ghost Reveries, minus the growls, plus the oldschool prog elements of Heritage?
He had me at "the best of Damnation and Ghost Reveries".
08.04.2014 - 20:38
Rating: 7
Lethrokai

Posted this on the article, but may as well post it here too:

Steven Wilson's words on the album:

"The new Opeth album Pale Communion was mixed into stereo and 5.1 at my studio in February. I also sang harmony vocals. It's by no stretch of the imagination a metal record but it's still plenty heavy and a great piece of work - for me the epic orchestrated ballad "Faith in Others" that closes the album is Mikael Åkerfeldt's finest achievement to date."

Your thoughts?
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
08.04.2014 - 20:51
Rating: 8
Wiillak

I'm waiting for it to make my summer. i even liked heritage and totally ready for whatever may come
08.04.2014 - 21:30
advent

I would check it only because l like Mikael songwriting skills, but his style an direction he took is so unoriginal to me and it's sad for some one as innovative as him.
08.04.2014 - 23:54
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
This should be cool.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
09.04.2014 - 00:15
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
I'm optimistic about this release...
09.04.2014 - 01:14
Mattybu

Highly doubtful I will like this at all, although Opeth-wise I seem to be on a different wavelength than most people.
09.04.2014 - 15:28
Rating: 5
The Hammer33

"Opeth could literary be the best band ever for me if they did not release heritage."

I completely agree - well said - that's exactly the way I feel about Opeth too.
09.04.2014 - 16:37
Zap
Written by mz on 08.04.2014 at 18:36

Unfortunately, the extreme Opeth is now dead. Will not probably listen to this record this year. I'd rather forget about modern Opeth :'(

I'm still curious what they're gonna put out, Heritage had some good moments, though overall it was lacking. It can still be damned good if it's in the same style but just, well, better.
That said, what made Opeth interesting in the first place was the whole beauty and the beast approach, so I doubt it'll ever reach the high quality of the early records.
I stay cautiously optimistic though.
09.04.2014 - 16:47
quisableed
Account deleted

You can be sure that Opeth is the best. One who is familiar with professional music technigues and metal music can easily confirm this. The people like Mikael produce their composition within their own knowledge and originality borders. Because they think that art is for art's sake. If they listen enthusiasts and responds to demands of them, there wouldn't be a product that represents the artist's authenticity. Mikael wanted the Heritage to be in this way and It did. This is the reason I admire Mikael.
09.04.2014 - 16:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I enjoy Opeth but looking at their entire career they certainly don't deserve the "best band ever" award, with or without the existence of Heritage. Just not enough innovation or obvious and clever evolution over their 20 or so year long career.
09.04.2014 - 17:32
quisableed
Account deleted
Yes, lack of innovation is a good point. Their sound had not evolved for a long time. I think the main cause behind this is that they had already started in really high level. But although all of these, we can be sure that their music is evolving now.
09.04.2014 - 17:36
Rating: 6
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Changing your band's sound doesn't necessarily mean said band is evolving. If anything their current direction could be considered derivative and unoriginal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.04.2014 - 20:18
Rating: 9
BehzadSh

Hope I enjoy this album like other Opeth's albums, though lack of growl vocal really make me sad
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
09.04.2014 - 21:33
Erik M.

Written by Zap on 09.04.2014 at 16:37

I'm still curious what they're gonna put out, Heritage had some good moments, though overall it was lacking. It can still be damned good if it's in the same style but just, well, better.
That said, what made Opeth interesting in the first place was the whole beauty and the beast approach, so I doubt it'll ever reach the high quality of the early records.
I stay cautiously optimistic though.

Beauty and the beast approach? They rarely have female vocals (Coil) in their music.

Anyway, I agree with what most people say. I dislike the lack of growls and the fact that it's not metal. Still, I'm pretty sure it's going to top Heritage, which is at least something. If the complexity and variety is present, there's still hope (for me liking this album). And yes, Opeth's glory days are long gone. They've become progressively worse ever since Ghost Reveries, which was their last brilliant effort.
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 09.04.2014 at 16:57

I enjoy Opeth but looking at their entire career they certainly don't deserve the "best band ever" award, with or without the existence of Heritage. Just not enough innovation or obvious and clever evolution over their 20 or so year long career.

Without Heritage and Watershed, they would easily be in the top 3 best and most consistent bands ever, for me. Though Watershed isn't that big of a deal in this case, but to me it's definitely one of the weakest albums. I'd say they're not a progressive band anymore, but rather a regressive one.
Erik M.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.04.2014 at 17:36

Changing your band's sound doesn't necessarily mean said band is evolving. If anything their current direction could be considered derivative and unoriginal.

Agreed completely. They're devolving, not evolving. Losing their variety and complexity in case of Hertige is by no means progressive, it's just a different sound. And a bad sort of sound at that.
09.04.2014 - 22:20
mz

Written by Guest on 09.04.2014 at 16:57

It's true that their sound did not evolve much (except for the disaster that was heritage) but as stated by someone else, they start their career at a high point. I'm not much familiar with the history of metal but such a debut was probably too out of the box for an extreme metal band back in 1995. Moreover, note that from 1995 to 2001, they released 5 good+ to brilliant albums. This is quiet impressive considering the relative complexity of their songs. After all, it's not drone we are talking about and coming up with a high quality record every year is not easy. After that, they release those bastard twins, which, while being under-par, are still good. GR and Watershed are again brilliant. This ridiculousness level of consistency is something I have not seen in many bands, especially considering that they have in my opinion 7 great records.
Another thing is that opeth is copped by many bands. It's undeniable that they influenced many other bands. To say that they were not innovative is really underestimation.
Their earlier approach is in my opinion pretty daring. I've seen many reviews of their albums on, let's say, progarchives, containing something like "...although this is metal, but it's very good". On the other hand, many extreme metal fans disregarded them because of the lack of extremity. They literary put their asses on line form the beginning.
----
09.04.2014 - 22:26
mz

Written by Guest on 09.04.2014 at 16:47

You can be sure that Opeth is the best. One who is familiar with professional music technigues and metal music can easily confirm this. The people like Mikael produce their composition within their own knowledge and originality borders. Because they think that art is for art's sake. If they listen enthusiasts and responds to demands of them, there wouldn't be a product that represents the artist's authenticity. Mikael wanted the Heritage to be in this way and It did. This is the reason I admire Mikael.

There are far more interesting prog rock records out there. How could heritage be original when it was supposed to be somehow a tribute to old school progressive rock of 70s? Also, the fact that Mikel can produce anything he wants and lead the band to any direction he desires does not disqualifies me from havving opinion. He can make his music and I can dislike it, as simple as that. I respect the fact that he is following his own wishes, but those wishes are not good in my opinion.
----

Hits total: 52378 | This month: 35