Metal Storm logo
What is your favourite doom metal subgenre?

Original post

Posted by , 22.01.2007 - 08:57
Let me know if I've missed any

I like traditional and death/doom the most.

Poll

What is your favourite doom subgenre?

Death doom
Funeral doom
Traditional/Epic doom
Sludge doom
Stoner doom
Folk doom
Drone doom
Avant garde/Experimental doom

Total votes: 134
14.07.2007 - 16:51
Crow_Princess

Written by Bad English on 09.07.2007 at 19:34

Written by Crow_Princess on 09.07.2007 at 15:58

Funeral doom definately... I love depressive music and this subgenre always sound more or less depressive.
I like Black Doom as well but I haven't seen many bands playing this kind of genre combination... :

What kidn of black/doom band syou like Give examples maybe I can suggest some to you

Well, I loooove Misanthropic Art... Faustcoven and Forest Of Souls are great as well...
Dolorian and Forgotten Tomb play also such kind of metal but their music doesn't seem so amazing for me as Misanthropic Art's..
----
*I have made a decision... I will live until W-Lash allows me to die... :love:*
14.07.2007 - 17:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Crow_Princess on 14.07.2007 at 16:51

Written by Bad English on 09.07.2007 at 19:34

Written by Crow_Princess on 09.07.2007 at 15:58

Funeral doom definately... I love depressive music and this subgenre always sound more or less depressive.
I like Black Doom as well but I haven't seen many bands playing this kind of genre combination... :

What kidn of black/doom band syou like Give examples maybe I can suggest some to you

Well, I loooove Misanthropic Art... Faustcoven and Forest Of Souls are great as well...
Dolorian and Forgotten Tomb play also such kind of metal but their music doesn't seem so amazing for me as Misanthropic Art's..

I know Misanthropic Art ist prit good band also others what you mention
What you think about Bethlehem(early) and Beatrik also Bulgarians Darkflight and Ivo lļjev sollo project Dreamflight?
Also Woods of Belial, Tristitia, Ocean Of Sorrow and Katatonia(Dance of december Souls)?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.07.2007 - 17:53
Nazeef

Death & Doom are synonyms in language, they are brothers in Metal, I find Death Passages in Doom very interesting, it make the variation.
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
15.07.2007 - 00:22
Crow_Princess

Written by Bad English on 14.07.2007 at 17:11

What you think about Bethlehem(early) and Beatrik also Bulgarians Darkflight and Ivo lļjev sollo project Dreamflight?
Also Woods of Belial, Tristitia, Ocean Of Sorrow and Katatonia(Dance of december Souls)?

I will never try Katatonia. Dunno why but this band is one of those I'd rather avoid listening to...
Beatrik sucks IMO... I've heard them but this band made me very disappointed.
I've heard some stuff from Tristitia but don't remember how did they sound like..
I don't know those other bands you mentioned..
----
*I have made a decision... I will live until W-Lash allows me to die... :love:*
15.07.2007 - 00:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Crow_Princess on 15.07.2007 at 00:22

Written by Bad English on 14.07.2007 at 17:11

I will never try Katatonia. Dunno why but this band is one of those I'd rather avoid listening to...
Beatrik sucks IMO... I've heard them but this band made me very disappointed.
I've heard some stuff from Tristitia but don't remember how did they sound like..
I don't know those other bands you mentioned..

Why not I realy enjoy firts Katatonia album, but then no thank;s
Witch album you try?

Darkflight and dreamflight I had mp3 iMO 10 of old home page who are closed if you wanna PM me
Other bands cant give you nothing because Im lil whit fiew friends now

But you can read www.doom-metal.com about those bands IMO good opinim are in site
----

apos;'
[image]
15.07.2007 - 05:35
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
Katatonia are amazingly good. All of their album, but when it comes to their Doom days, Brave Murder Day is a masterpiece and Dance of December Souls is just great.
15.07.2007 - 10:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 15.07.2007 at 05:35

Katatonia are amazingly good. All of their album, but when it comes to their Doom days, Brave Murder Day is a masterpiece and Dance of December Souls is just great.

After those albums band die for me liek Amoprhis, Paradise Lost, Anatheme, Catehdral, damn better go Winter and dISbOWELMENT way .. split up
----

apos;'
[image]
23.07.2007 - 17:59
Infurnace

Traditional Doom and Death Doom is really great. Those are the two sub-genre's I enjoy the most. I've never really heard some Folk Doom bands before. I might check some bands out.
23.07.2007 - 18:05
Infurnace

Oh, and Funeral Doom is also a great subgenre, although I don't listen to it so much anymore.
23.07.2007 - 18:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Infurnace on 23.07.2007 at 18:05

Oh, and Funeral Doom is also a great subgenre, although I don't listen to it so much anymore.

Why not?
----

apos;'
[image]
24.07.2007 - 17:24
Infurnace

Written by Bad English on 23.07.2007 at 18:42

Written by Infurnace on 23.07.2007 at 18:05

Why not?

I don't know K7. I should start listening to it again, because i've always enjoyed it.
26.07.2007 - 18:17
-Xul-

i like death doom and funeral doom, but i vote for Folk doom cause it is less depressive than others and we can find something new, something attractive with the folk elements
----
26.07.2007 - 18:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by -Xul- on 26.07.2007 at 18:17

i like death doom and funeral doom, but i vote for Folk doom cause it is less depressive than others and we can find something new, something attractive with the folk elements

But also rael genre only fiew band splay it like Silant Stream Of Goldles Elegy , Morgain, Silant Tales, Gods Tower, Screaming from the Oblivion, Vicious Crusade amd Czecjs Return To Inocence and Six Degrees Of Separation
----

apos;'
[image]
04.08.2007 - 00:55
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I can finally decide: Funeral Doom.

It just soothes me. Epic Doom is also great, but most bands tend to bore me after a while.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.11.2007 - 17:53
FOOCK Nam

I need more recommendation of doom with keyboard. I dont refer to particular doom subgenre, but I want to find the music which is like combination between doom metal and keyboard, like Slumber, or some Swallow The Sun songs.
23.11.2007 - 18:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by FOOCK Nam on 23.11.2007 at 17:53

I need more recommendation of doom with keyboard. I dont refer to particular doom subgenre, but I want to find the music which is like combination between doom metal and keyboard, like Slumber, or some Swallow The Sun songs.

Black Doom, Funeral Doom some death doom and gothic doom
band slike Dis pater, Luminaria, The 3th and the Mortal, Novembers Doomd, Solarfall, Dreamflight, Darkflight Swallow The Sun, and so on
Doom are complicated and there are miexed varius instruments, chello, hors, keybords, piano and so on ... better take a search in www.doom-metal.com
----

apos;'
[image]
23.11.2007 - 19:24
Ellie
Account deleted
Trad. doom for me. I can get into the the other subgenres of doom..but definitely not as well
06.12.2007 - 21:49
Stalker
Lone wanderer
I voted for Death Doom, since most of the Doom Metal albums I listen belong to this genre... But I think I like it regardless of subgenre, but it seems that Death Doom suits me the best.....
----
07.12.2007 - 16:03
FOOCK Nam

Funeral doom is so awesome. I just found a such band Colosseum from Metalstorm review. Not much knowlegable about the genre but can say they are very melodic slowing.
07.12.2007 - 16:21
Kurzag
Account deleted
Along with Black Metal, Doom is my favourite genre. Its a tie between Black/Doom and Funeral Doom. Love the atmosphere and much of the lyrics is good. I also like Death/Doom very much.
07.12.2007 - 16:43
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
I go for the sludge. Though it is pretty close to stoner doom...
It's the one that makes me feel more depressed.
I like the dirty feeling, the low and slow riffs, the repressed anger and the sudden speed bursts, the bluesy solos and etc.
Death/doom used to be my favorite, but I kind of grew out of it. I guess it tired me or I got sick of all the romanticism most bands of the genre tend to focus on. For funeral doom, there's a few bands that I enjoy, but many that'll bore me to death.
Traditional doom doesn't cut it for me. I like Candlemass and St. Vitus, but that's pretty much it.
And for Black/Doom... I dunno, I only really like Forgotten Tomb.
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
07.12.2007 - 17:06
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I don't consider sludge to be actually doom, but Acid Bath and Eyehategod have me obsessed lately... also some punker shit like Cavity And Buzzoven... but they're not doom at all.
07.12.2007 - 18:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sleep In Sorrow on 07.12.2007 at 16:43

I go for the sludge. Though it is pretty close to stoner doom...
It's the one that makes me feel more depressed.
I like the dirty feeling, the low and slow riffs, the repressed anger and the sudden speed bursts, the bluesy solos and etc.
Death/doom used to be my favorite, but I kind of grew out of it. I guess it tired me or I got sick of all the romanticism most bands of the genre tend to focus on. For funeral doom, there's a few bands that I enjoy, but many that'll bore me to death.
Traditional doom doesn't cut it for me. I like Candlemass and St. Vitus, but that's pretty much it.
And for Black/Doom... I dunno, I only really like Forgotten Tomb.

I dunno but I prefere stoner doom and stoner better how sluge only sluge band I like was in one album was some bick in covera nd thay had split whit Burning Witch IMO Goatsnake was ame, but IMO its more stoner how sluge
----

apos;'
[image]
07.12.2007 - 19:01
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
Written by Guest on 07.12.2007 at 17:06

I don't consider sludge to be actually doom, but Acid Bath and Eyehategod have me obsessed lately... also some punker shit like Cavity And Buzzoven... but they're not doom at all.

Well, there's sludge and sludge/doom. Acid Bath is hard to pigeon-hole (some doom riffs here and there), but I can definitely see some doom in Grief, Eyehategod or even Crowbar. Soilent Green however, I reckon, has pretty much zero doom in it.
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
07.12.2007 - 23:19
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Sleep In Sorrow on 07.12.2007 at 19:01

Written by Guest on 07.12.2007 at 17:06

Well, there's sludge and sludge/doom. Acid Bath is hard to pigeon-hole (some doom riffs here and there), but I can definitely see some doom in Grief, Eyehategod or even Crowbar. Soilent Green however, I reckon, has pretty much zero doom in it.

Well, of all the bands you named the only one that can certainly be called doom are Grief, because they had taken some influence from the death/doom scene (they're very similar to Winter and Sorrow in some aspects), but I don't see any doom in Eyehategod beyond the obvious Black Sabbath influence. I know that there are bands that actually mix sludge with doom (Corrupted, Grief, Wreck Of The Hesperus, Arachnotaur), but they're highly exceptional and as I said, they purposefuly ADD the doom to their sludge, as sludge as a genre isn't doom-related.
26.02.2008 - 14:50
NOИ

havent heard folk/doom yet. so I will say death/doom, especially My Dying Bride.
26.02.2008 - 14:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by NOИ on 26.02.2008 at 14:50

havent heard folk/doom yet.

Silant Stream of Goldless Elegy , Six Degries from Seperation and belarus band Vicuoss cricide
----

apos;'
[image]
26.02.2008 - 15:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by NOИ on 26.02.2008 at 14:50

havent heard folk/doom yet.

Mael Mordha
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.02.2008 - 17:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
A very hard question man!

I'm between Funeral doom and Death/doom.....
early My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost are two of my favorites bands

But right now I got a big attencion to some funeral bands... So I think that I can't vote right now xD
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.02.2008 - 18:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.02.2008 at 17:41

A very hard question man!

I'm between Funeral doom and Death/doom.....
early My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost are two of my favorites bands

But right now I got a big attencion to some funeral bands... So I think that I can't vote right now xD

You remaind me my seld in earlyer years and ewhan you reach my age you wont wote because you will like ALL DOOM
----

apos;'
[image]