01. Jikininki
02. Hold The Sword
03. Fallen Amaterasu
04. One Man's Burden
05. Kappa
06. Lady Of The Wind
07. Unrestrained
08. Upon My Honor
09. Ginga : Nagareboshi Gin [Ginga : Nagareboshi Gin OST cover] [Japanese bonus]
10. Let The Battles Begin! [Final Fantasy VII OST cover] [Japanese bonus]

There's no doubt that there's a lack of creativity in metal music or music in general nowadays. But Whispered, coming from Finland, is one of the most creative and courageous bands of the metal scene. A Finnish band that introduces melodic death/power metal with Southeastern Asian influences needs to be courageous and adventurous.

With their first experience, Thousand Swords, they managed to introduce something creative and spectacular. The album had its own style. But with Shogunate Macabre, there were some differences.

Some of Thousand Swords' characteristics are the great solos, the symphonic influences in some songs, and the astonishing keyboards. Shogunate Macabre lacked the awesome solos, except "Unrestrained" and "Upon My Honor", and the keyboards too, but I wasn't surprised because they announced before that there will be no keyboards in this album. And I think those are the drawbacks of Shogunate Macabre.

But on the other hand, they increased the symphonic influences. The increase is most noticeable in songs like "Fallen Amaterasu" and "Kappa". Not only that, but the vocals are better this time around, which was the only thing you may have disliked about their debut. And you can still enjoy the fantastic Japanese influences in Shogunate Macabre the way you enjoyed it in Thousand Swords. The artwork of this album is more fantastic too.

So generally, this album is more groovy than their debut. It's also more melodic death metal than it is power metal. If melodic death metal is one of your favorite genres and you appreciate the Japanese folk influences then you must give this album a listen, you will definitely like it - I guarantee that. Personally I think Whispered is one of the most underrated bands nowadays and they deserve more attention.

Favorite tracks are: "Jikininki", "Fallen Amaterasu", "Lady Of The Wind", "Unrestrained", and "Upon My Honor".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by BloodJuNkie | 11.04.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 79 users
11.04.2014 - 01:20
Andrew_Deer
None,really
I actaully didn't like keyboards at first album, they just didn't fit very well with asian instruments...
11.04.2014 - 23:21
Rating: 9
DonMoenning

Written by Andrew_Deer on 11.04.2014 at 01:20

I actaully didn't like keyboards at first album, they just didn't fit very well with asian instruments...

I agree. I think this is a much stronger release from a songwriting standpoint as well. While a few more solos peppered in would have been great, I don't think a track like "Hold the Sword" could be improved upon. Definitely a criminally underrated band.
12.04.2014 - 11:27
wrathchild

I've just watched the video for Jikininki and I'm loving it, it "has it all" so to say. I'll certainly dig this band more, thanks for the review!
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz

Hits total: 4299 | This month: 6