Metal Storm logo
The trial of the century: Oscar Pistorius - your views

12.04.2014 - 13:33
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
The double amputee sprinter, once revered across the world for his triumph over physical adversity, faces life in prison if convicted in the Pretoria High Court of the murder of Steenkamp, a 29-year-old law graduate and model.

Pistorius, known as the Blade Runner due to the prosthetics he wears on the track, says he shot Steenkamp in a tragic accident, firing at what he thought was an intruder hiding behind a toilet door in his luxury Pretoria home on February 14 last year.

The trial, now 21 days old, has gripped South Africa and millions of sports and athletics fans around the world who have seen Pistorius as a symbol of triumph over physical adversity.

His disabled lower legs were amputated as a baby but, running on carbon fibre prosthetic limbs, he went on to achieve global fame as the "fastest man on no legs", winning numerous Paralympic gold medals and reaching the semi-finals of the 400 metres in the 2012 London Olympics against able-bodied athletes.

Was it an accident, as he claims, or was it murder, perhaps following an argument? What do you think?
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
12.04.2014 - 14:48
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Ace Frawley on 12.04.2014 at 13:33

Was it an accident, as he claims, or was it murder, perhaps following an argument? What do you think?

we dont need to think about it in any way- the court does that .we can only comment on sentence given (or not) after it happends ...

also why so much pointless threads latelly ?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
12.04.2014 - 15:06
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
He DID kill his girlfriend and verdict is now on closing line.

No intruder were involved.
13.04.2014 - 00:35
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 12.04.2014 at 14:48

we dont need to think about it in any way- the court does that .we can only comment on sentence given (or not) after it happends ...

Ultimately the court decides, but we are allowed to have a view.
----
13.04.2014 - 00:52
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Ace Frawley on 13.04.2014 at 00:35

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 12.04.2014 at 14:48

Ultimately the court decides, but we are allowed to have a view.

since our view is insignificant it would be only waste of thoughts.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
13.04.2014 - 02:02
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 13.04.2014 at 00:52

haha, speak for yourself. I'm very happy to have opinions and views on public matters and to voice them. That's what makes for a healthy, mature society. If you choose not to participate, that's fine as well. Your choice. But don't rain on everyone else's parade.
----
13.04.2014 - 02:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Trial of the century? Far from it. This is almost as overhyped as the missing plane incident.

Regardless of his intent, he murdered his girlfriend. It's just a matter of how the courts spin it to see what kind of sentence he gets.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.04.2014 - 08:18
toxx
Supreme being
Not a trial of the century. Some dude killed his girlfriend. It has happened before, and it will happen again. Pretty common when it comes to killings.

Anyway, I think he killed her with intent, but not planned. Maybe they had a fight, and he got pissed off so bad that he snapped. Statistically, that's the reason for most of these kinds of cases.
13.04.2014 - 09:49
no one
Account deleted
....looks like my current affairs thread works

he done it... i can't believe that badass 9 month old baby got away with it though
13.04.2014 - 10:12
Ritual_Suicide
Account deleted
I'm not going to pass judgement on him until the trial is over. With that said, the evidence I've seen thus far is pretty damning.
13.04.2014 - 13:14
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.04.2014 at 02:05

Trial of the century? Far from it. This is almost as overhyped as the missing plane incident.

Regardless of his intent, he murdered his girlfriend. It's just a matter of how the courts spin it to see what kind of sentence he gets.

Oh c'mon, of course it is the trial of the century. We know for a fact that there won't be another trial any time within the next 86 years that will be more significant than this one.
----
13.04.2014 - 13:22
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Ace Frawley on 13.04.2014 at 02:02

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 13.04.2014 at 00:52

haha, speak for yourself. I'm very happy to have opinions and views on public matters and to voice them. That's what makes for a healthy, mature society. If you choose not to participate, that's fine as well. Your choice. But don't rain on everyone else's parade.

good for you...waste your time talking until you die -that is all what modern society is--talk,talk,talk and dont do anything ...
that being said,i dont give a fuck about anyone's opinion on onternet
----
13.04.2014 - 15:31
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Ace Frawley on 13.04.2014 at 13:14

Oh c'mon, of course it is the trial of the century. We know for a fact that there won't be another trial any time within the next 86 years that will be more significant than this one.

No dude, couple of years back Woods involved in. It was fuckin' overblown due to high intensity of crappy mainstream media. This trail isn't different.

Only on the first day of trial people came to know he killed his gf. No serious thinking involved in this.
13.04.2014 - 18:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
The only reason this is getting more attention than any other killing is due to the fact that it involves an amputee Olympian. I could look up a slew of trials on Wikipedia in the past 5 years that surpass this in terms of importance.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.04.2014 - 18:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This is not trial of the century.... ordinary trial...and I dont buy his stoy
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.04.2014 - 01:44
no one
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.04.2014 at 18:35

The only reason this is getting more attention than any other killing is due to the fact that it involves an amputee Olympian. I could look up a slew of trials on Wikipedia in the past 5 years that surpass this in terms of importance.

And the victim was a super hot model.. perfect story for the media
14.04.2014 - 01:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 14.04.2014 at 01:44
And the victim was a super hot model.. perfect story for the media

Good call, it'd be like David Beckham killing Victoria or Tom Brady killing Gisele. It's typical of Western media to pay attention to a story like this since it draws more hits from the Kardashian crowd and other celeb followers.
----
14.04.2014 - 03:55
Reverend X
Based on what I read and seen on TV. I think he shot her on purpose. Don't get swayed by his crying.
14.04.2014 - 04:00
Reverend X
Written by Guest on 13.04.2014 at 09:49

i can't believe that badass 9 month old baby got away with it though

yeah. that would be the real trial of the century.

poor baby.
14.04.2014 - 10:11
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman

Regardless of his intent, he murdered his girlfriend.

Not sure what you mean here? Surely if someone kills someone by accident, i.e. without intent, then it isn't murder.
----
14.04.2014 - 10:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ace Frawley on 14.04.2014 at 10:11
Not sure what you mean here? Surely if someone kills someone by accident, i.e. without intent, then it isn't murder.

It's called manslaughter/murder in the third degree (typically by accident or through means of neglect), but it's still murder.
----
14.04.2014 - 13:18
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.04.2014 at 10:18

It's called manslaughter/murder in the third degree (typically by accident or through means of neglect), but it's still murder.

Sounds like semantics to me. Surely manslaughter is a lesser offence than murder, especially so since it is often accidental or through neglect, rather than being intentional. Either way, the person is dead, so the same result for the victim.
----
14.04.2014 - 13:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ace Frawley on 14.04.2014 at 13:18
Sounds like semantics to me. Surely manslaughter is a lesser offence than murder, especially so since it is often accidental or through neglect, rather than being intentional. Either way, the person is dead, so the same result for the victim.

The sentences are much different typically but as you said, for the victim it's the same result. The girlfriend was killed by a gun shot by the boyfriend. What that means for him in terms of a sentence is up to the jury, but he's still a murderer in the legal sense of the word - even if only in the third degree.
----
14.04.2014 - 17:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
----
14.04.2014 - 20:35
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
This was totally an accident. It's just so plausible. I can picture it: *gunshot*. Sorry darling didn't see you there. *gunshot*. Oh shit sorry I slipped. *gunshot*. Whoops sorry darling I was just protecting us.

I should be a judge.
14.04.2014 - 23:53
no one
Account deleted
Written by Irritable Ted on 14.04.2014 at 23:36

It all started with an argument over the toilet door. He wanted a new one and she was dead against it. Sounds like an easy case, he hasn't got a leg to stand on as far as I can see.

heard a few Pistorius jokes lately, and i think that might be one of the worst
15.04.2014 - 08:50
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by deadone on 15.04.2014 at 01:49

What's bizarre is that he didn't check to see where his girlfriend was!

He also didn't wait for the "intruder" to come out the door. He just offloaded 4 rounds.

I suspect even in crime infested country like South Africa you still check to see where family members are and try to get a visual ID on any intruder.

I mean what if he had kids?

"I thought little 6 year old Johnny was an intruder so blasted him with a 9mm. How was I to know my kid would get up in the middle of the night to go for a wee?"

Yeah, that pretty much sums up how I feel about his defence as well. It just doesn't seem plausible.
----
15.04.2014 - 10:40
IronArkadius666
Check these brand new security bathroom door locks they've installed here in SA.

http://www.thecrowdmeetsthecloud.com/tcmtcnfblgurl/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/SATDL.jpg
15.04.2014 - 11:46
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by IronArkadius666 on 15.04.2014 at 10:40

Check these brand new security bathroom door locks they've installed here in SA.

http://www.thecrowdmeetsthecloud.com/tcmtcnfblgurl/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/SATDL.jpg

Nice, but too late for Reeva. Probably wouldn't have made any difference - old Oscar was either so sh*t-scared out of his mind he had to start blazing away or maybe he was in a hot-headed rage?
----
15.04.2014 - 11:54
IronArkadius666
While there have been many horrible cases of people mistaking their loved ones for thieves and such and shooting them down before realising their mistake, I think in Oscar's case it was pure rage.

He's been known to brag about how many firearms he has and has even been arrested for firing one in the air in a public setting, he's a well-known hothead and despite the SA police doing what they do best and messing with the crime scene (stealing Oscar's watches, walking on the bloodstains with shoes on, etc), I think he will be tried for murder and not manslaughter.