Metal Storm logo
Linux

Original post

Posted by jizzlord, 22.01.2007 - 23:21
Who here uses linux, and if so what distro?
i personally use fedora core!
29.06.2008 - 08:19
selken
Irreligious
Kurrently using Kubuntu with Konqueror xD
----
29.06.2008 - 08:44
Lupas
Maximus
I have a question about Linux Ubuntu . If i have to upgrade from V7.10 to V8.04, i could loose any information stored?
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
17.07.2008 - 16:36
dehydration
Account deleted
Written by wrathchild on 25.06.2008 at 18:40

Written by Guest on 25.06.2008 at 13:39

Written by wrathchild on 24.06.2008 at 23:08

You've got to go to the boot menu, and there's something about keyboards. Happened to me with my first linux distro.

Do you mean modifying the boot.ini file? Or something else?

No, when your computer is starting, press F2 or F11 or F12 or Delete or whatever key is indicated on the black screen. Best is to press them all

I managed to fix it, you have to go to BIOS, Integrated Peripherals and there should somewhere be an option to change keyboard powering from OS to BIOS.

However, the ubuntu installation didn't work so I uninstalled it and I'll probably have to mess around some more before I can use it.
20.07.2008 - 06:32
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Can I make a dumb question?
How true is that there are not many games for Linux?
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
15.07.2009 - 23:29
Wilkinson
Well most games that you buy are made for Windows, that's true. Yet you can find, I think, quite a lot of games that are compatible with Linux from the Internet. My computer isn't powerful enough so I didn't install any of those (there are some installed "automatically" though)..
I'm using Debian and got used to it.
----
Can you hear the Tales from the Ocean
Submerged cities and haunted wrecks
Can you hear the Tales from Nowhere
The wind will tell you, if you listen

After the Rain.. http://running-after-the-rainbow.blogspot.com
16.07.2009 - 22:00
Piro
There really aren't many games out for Linux. There are quite a few open-source, free ones that are pretty good, however, Linux is not the way to go for a gamer.

I use a Linux/Windows Dualboot combination to suit my needs, since I can't give up my games, but otherwise, Linux is great
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
27.07.2009 - 17:14
HellHammer
Account deleted
I use Linux in a Virtual Machine (my everyday OS is Mac OS X, love it btw). I have the Ubuntu Server edition installed, since I want to control things I install (and I don't need everything from the desktop version). Lately I have been playing around with BackTrack4, it's jam packed with all these neat "toys".
In the past I was using Gentoo (to see what all the fuzz was about), it's not really my cup of tea. I don't like compiling everything from scratch, plus I don't have the time to fine tune everything for hours (weeks maybe??) just for a little bit of extra performance.
10.12.2009 - 20:22
Bhavok
Right now Im writing from windows... but i have Linux mint and like it a lot... but ive been looking at Pardus the turkish distro and let me tell you guys it is rather impressive!
20.12.2009 - 02:54
Hamird
Lieutenant
I'm using Ubuntu Linux for about 4month and I think it's 1000 times more interesting and useful rather than Microsoft Windows.. Everything is better here in Linux. Above all, programming..
I think Linux in future will beat Windows and Mac.. The reason is simple. Being Open Source.. You feel how Open Source programs are being developed when you see Mozilla Firefox or some Google tools and Open Source programs for Linux..
20.12.2009 - 10:56
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
During this summer term i will be trying to beat the "Basics of Unix" for a third time already...

i know Unix based systems have something, but me and them arent friends...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.12.2009 - 12:09
Immortal
Ubuntu Satanic Edition, anyone?
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
29.12.2009 - 06:34
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by Immortal on 22.12.2009 at 12:09

Well there is a Jewish edition of it...

I'm currently using Kubuntu with (obviously) KDE 4. The system I'm using it on isn't that good though so I was considering changing to Xubuntu as a less system intensive OS. Does anyone know if Xubuntu runs much better on low-end computers?
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
30.12.2009 - 02:12
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by Raiden on 29.12.2009 at 06:34

Written by Immortal on 22.12.2009 at 12:09

Well there is a Jewish edition of it...

I'm currently using Kubuntu with (obviously) KDE 4. The system I'm using it on isn't that good though so I was considering changing to Xubuntu as a less system intensive OS. Does anyone know if Xubuntu runs much better on low-end computers?

It does but so does normal Ubuntu. KDE 4 is simply rather bloated and still buggy. I've had numerous little bugs hinder my enjoyment of Kubuntu, none of which appeared in Ubuntu itself.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate KDE's vision as much as the next guy and am looking forward to a properly stable release but this has not happened yet. At least with Kubuntu. I hear very good things about OpenSUSE. Sadly, I don't think I'll be switching to it since I've been using Debian packages for over a decade now and got really used to this updating and package fetching model.
04.04.2010 - 19:00
Reza
Account deleted
Do you know anything about "Linux pthread library"?
Until Thursday, I must write a report about that but hitherto I haven't found good resources.
04.04.2010 - 21:48
Reza
Account deleted
Written by akatana on 04.04.2010 at 20:08

Written by Guest on 04.04.2010 at 19:00

Do you know anything about "Linux pthread library"?
Until Thursday, I must write a report about that but hitherto I haven't found good resources.

pthread is just another name for posix threads, it basically defines an api for managing threads

https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/pthreads/
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialPosixThreads.html

Thanks a lot.
01.02.2021 - 02:56
JavierPaper
The distribution "AntiX" is very good
02.07.2022 - 22:49
Joppe
Steelemeister
I have Xubuntu on the other PC and I prefer it quite a lot to windows 10, so I will switch to it on this one soon too. Not too interested about having all these forced apps that only a couple have some use to me.
----
My vision is augmented