01. Wizard Pimp
02. Pussy Witch
03. Black Maggot
04. Blood Sinner
05. Negative D
06. Don't Fear The Reefer
07. Roach Detector
08. Dirty Living

I surely wasn't expecting this kind of music you know? That's exactly why I hate "Trailers" and stuff, they just reveal too much of the movie if you know what I mean. I pushed play in my stereo with no information about who this band was and what did they play, I absurdly thought it was a Black Metal outfit with a boring offering (after all they did use "LORD" in their name and a pentagram in their cover) but destiny sucker-punched me and then a punky/doomy band began screaming and playing in the most filthy way possible, the first thing that crossed my mind at that very moment was "Fuck! This is seriously great!"

After some spins I still think this is cool but I also see the flaws in the album (don't hate me for being meticulous). Ultralord plays some kind of Doom that almost resembles to Post-Metal for the lengthy riffs and the droned passages, but with a touch of Hardcore and Punk in the overtures of the songs; so, as you might see these guys have a very complex (and irregular) structure, the songs often start with an aggressive approach filled with Thrashy beats, Punky riffs and Hardcore screams, then when you're all heated up with the hostility of the song, everything turns into Post-Metal and Doom with slow-paced riffs, really long outros and no-vocals; this is one hell of a scheme if you ask me.

Yes! All of those things are incredible indeed, but the thing is, the band catapults an amazing violent approach but a deficient "artsy" side. The Post-Metal half I was talking about becomes repetitive and tedious after some spins, usually a Post-Metal band creates lengthy songs with repetitive chords and a crazy background, I guess Ultralord just forgot about layers and backgrounds that's all, then you'll see yourself hitting the fast-forward button to reach the next "Thrashy" bit of the song and so on, slowly (but competently) the replay values fade out in this debut?

That's what makes me eager about this album, a debut often comes with this kind of imperfections right? After all the eclectic mixture of genres is fantastic to say the least, the execution is great and the ideas are more than amazing, they just need to polish that Doomy side of their album and that would be it. I seriously can't wait for a second release from this band, I'm really looking forward to it because I'm sure this time I won't be able to stand up after they strike my brain with their music.

Best Tracks: "Pussy Witch" "Negative D", "Roach Detector"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 20.01.2007

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 8 users
22.01.2007 - 23:36
Götter
The album title OWNS. I want to hear this album just because of that. Being sludge I think they might actually communicate this in their music.
22.01.2007 - 23:48
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
What a lovely name for an album! Considering a name like that, I am tempted to download it sometime in the future.
24.01.2007 - 15:44
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Bah, you guys needa hear The Bloodhound Gang - I Hope You Die. Not metal, but funny
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
30.01.2007 - 09:53
FOOCK Nam

Very impressed name of the album, I will buy this for the future. Now Im go check their myspace if any

Hits total: 5113 | This month: 4