3 have it

01. Erectheion
02. The Great North
03. Celestial Bodies
04. Nyx [remix]

Guest review by
musclassia
Rating:
Since the genre's initial surge in popularity during the early-to-mid-2000s, the 'founders' of atmospheric sludge/post-metal have gradually built up a small army of followers and imitators. Whilst many of these groups produce high-quality, engaging music, the sheer number of bands, combined with the relative lack of innovation or diversity, has arguably led to an over-saturation of the genre, making it tougher for new groups to stand out. One might even start questioning whether this excess of music makes upcoming bands that follow the general template of the style redundant. However, songs as well-composed and compelling as those encountered on this EP offer evidence that innovation isn't always necessary for relevance when you can achieve something of this high quality.

Read more ››
published 24.10.2014 | Comments (2)

Found in 6 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 25 users
21.04.2014 - 06:21
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
This is dam good, an improvement over Aegean. EP of the year? Check this out post/sludge fans!
----
rekt
27.07.2014 - 23:38
Rating: 9
musclassia

Really strong EP; I know some people bemoan the sheer number of post- bands coming onto the scene, but whenever I discover something as ace as this, I'm just like, who cares? The amount of new post constantly released is very intimidating, especially when I go periods of time without checking any new musical releases at all, so it's satisfying when I check a new release and enjoy it this much. The spoken vocals on track 3 are a bit 'eh', but aside from that the package is pretty consistently great. Personal favourite track would probably be The Great North, with those horrid tortured vocals opening and soon being accompanied by a delightful post- accompaniment.

Hits total: 1889 | This month: 8