Metal Storm logo
Technical Death Metal

20.05.2006 - 20:08
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Well Im building up my Techinical Death Metal collection and im wondering what bands and albums should be needed in this collection, and thought that a thread needs to be made for recommendations on this. Im a fan of Psycroptic, Suffocation, and Cryptopsy.

Any list albums that should be inclued in the collection, bands and/or albums.

EDIT: Now we've got a lot of Tech DM bands added, make sure you go through and check if the band has been added or not, saves a bunch of repeats. Also lets get a little discussion about some of the bands.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
20.05.2006 - 22:48
Narterath
Maybe Atheist? Any album by them, especially Unquestionable Presence. (hoping to see them live in August)
20.05.2006 - 23:08
Varoth
Account deleted
Atheist - Piece Of Time / Unquestionable Presence
Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy
Demilich - Nespithe
Martyr - Hopeless Hopes
Obliveon - From This Day Forward
Death - Individual Thought Patterns

Can't think of more at the moment. I'll post again if something pops up in my mind.
21.05.2006 - 04:27
Herzebeth
Pan.Thy.Monium...that's like..one of the greatest Tech Death bands ever.
try also Pestilence, Martyr, Capharnaum, Atheist, Cynic, Man Must Die, Quo Vadis, Datura and maybe Ingraved.
----
21.05.2006 - 06:16
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Necrophagist, is still the most technical Death Metal band out there, and probally the most talented aswell.
Stabwound, and Foul Body Autopsy, are good Necrophagist songs, amazingly technical.
21.05.2006 - 14:22
Daru Jericho
Man Must Die are very good tech death from Scotland.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

21.05.2006 - 14:36
Varoth
Account deleted
Written by Herzebeth on 21.05.2006 at 04:27

Pestilence

I didn't know if I should mention them. Even though almost everyone consider them as technical DM, for some reason I never saw them that way too much. IMO their technicality isn't highlighted a lot in their music.
21.05.2006 - 15:17
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by Immortal Plague on 21.05.2006 at 06:16

Necrophagist, is still the most technical Death Metal band out there, and probally the most talented aswell.

FAR FAR From it.
They hardly use time signature changes, give much less importance to other instruments compared to many other technical death metal bands, and the riffs(core rhythmic riffs, for example when the solo or lead is going on, or even during the verse sometimes) are quite simplistic many times, for example in the song Mutilate The Stillborn (and many others too).
Further, look at their drumming. The first album had a drum machince for god's sake. How can you say they are the most technical band overall? Even in the second album, the drumming was good, but nothing exceptional.

From a purely musical theory perspective, I can point at Martyr's Warp Zone or Atheist's Unquestionable Presence for being the most technical album ever. I think I could even label Atheist or Martyr as the most talented/technical band(s) ever. I pride myself in saying that I've heard quite a lot of Tech. DM bands, so I can somewhat justify that statement too. *Not being elitist here *

I just want to say that Necrophagist are not the most talented/technical band out there as cited. They are very very technical though - I'll give them that. But playing an infinite number of solos and leads in a song doesn't make you technical sorry. Otherwise Megadeth's Rust In Peace or just about any Cacophony album would be 'technical' as well.

Well, I'll just dig out my post from the old archive and post it here soon.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
21.05.2006 - 15:19
Polarized
Account deleted
Definitely Necrophagist! 'Onset Of Putrefaction' and 'Epitaph' are both great albums. if you like Psycroptic then no doubt you'll love Necrophagist
21.05.2006 - 15:34
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
*COPIED FROM THE OLD METALSTORM FORUM [Don't worry it's my post]*

here are some totally cool technical death metal bands:
Start off with Atheist, Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Martyr, Quo Vadis, Necrophagist, Cephalic Carnage(though they have major Grind influences). It could get a tad more brutal with Cenotaph, Anata and such bands. Don't forget old school gems like Pestilence, Voivod, Hellwitch, Cynic, Gorguts(old), Demilich, Obliveon(who have Pierre Rémillard as guitarist, the producer for many tech. death albums from Canada), Pan.Thy.Monium(another Swano band ), Fifth Dominion, Nocturnus etc. Then you can get down to bands such as Cidesphere , Pavor, Capharnaum(Mongrain plays guitar here ), Beneath The Massacre(who have heavy hardcore influences, but good nonetheless), Domination Through Impurity(really cool, new band), Decapitated, Nile(their latest effort was most definately Tech. DM), Gorgasm(the French one), Psycroptic, Spawn of Possession, Thy Disease, Sceptic, Theory In Practice( Peter Lake ), Cadaveric Crematorium, Sleep Terror(must get for Necrophagist fans), Iniquity, Coprofago, The Shattering, Yattering, Dripping(weird but cool grindcore), Augury, Wayd, Esqarial(their latest one was very boring IMO, but Inheritance is awesome!), Visceral Bleeding(who were reviewed by Herz here, among the many others mentioned here), The Abodox, Led Astray(the drummer of whom happens to be an MS member ), Lykathea Aflame (how I wish they made another album), Scent Of Death, Gnostic, Burning Inside, Man Must Die(excellent stuff, kinda hardcore ish at times though)...

Okay that's about the bands that I saw from my Winamp playlist...I will post more stuff if I find any.

Tech death ranks as one my fav. genres too if you didnt notice
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
21.05.2006 - 15:46
Polarized
Account deleted
o_o yay another 934892368 bands to check out, thanks Cryptic. I love Sleep Terror too.. they kick ass and don't even have a vocalist
22.05.2006 - 07:13
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Thanks all. Guess ive got alot to check out then.

Necrophagist is a very good band that ive just been getting into lately, and i'll check out Sleep Terror aswell.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
22.05.2006 - 10:40
decapitator
umhh... Decapitated is a good technical death metal band
22.05.2006 - 15:26
__Az__
Decapitated
Death
Necrophagist
Atheist
Cynic
24.05.2006 - 20:08
mvikred
Written by CrypticMyth on 21.05.2006 at 15:34

Start off with Atheist, Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Martyr, Quo Vadis, Necrophagist, Cephalic Carnage(though they have major Grind influences). It could get a tad more brutal with Cenotaph, Anata and such bands. Don't forget old school gems like Pestilence, Voivod, Hellwitch, Cynic, Gorguts(old), Demilich, Obliveon(who have Pierre Rémillard as guitarist, the producer for many tech. death albums from Canada), Pan.Thy.Monium(another Swano band ), Fifth Dominion, Nocturnus etc. Then you can get down to bands such as Cidesphere , Pavor, Capharnaum(Mongrain plays guitar here ), Beneath The Massacre(who have heavy hardcore influences, but good nonetheless), Domination Through Impurity(really cool, new band), Decapitated, Nile(their latest effort was most definately Tech. DM), Gorgasm(the French one), Psycroptic, Spawn of Possession, Thy Disease, Sceptic, Theory In Practice( Peter Lake ), Cadaveric Crematorium, Sleep Terror(must get for Necrophagist fans), Iniquity, Coprofago, The Shattering, Yattering, Dripping(weird but cool grindcore), Augury, Wayd, Esqarial(their latest one was very boring IMO, but Inheritance is awesome!), Visceral Bleeding(who were reviewed by Herz here, among the many others mentioned here), The Abodox, Led Astray(the drummer of whom happens to be an MS member ), Lykathea Aflame (how I wish they made another album), Scent Of Death, Gnostic, Burning Inside, Man Must Die(excellent stuff, kinda hardcore ish at times though)...

Okay that's about the bands that I saw from my Winamp playlist...I will post more stuff if I find any.

This is my fav. genre too if you didnt notice

dude , u do remember wat to do .. wen u mention so many bands ... i am still waiting :d ... anyways, cryptic dint really leave me much room to say anything ... and tech death .. happens to be my fav genre too and i have covered almost 70% of the bands mentioned above .. though i do listen to them everyday, i never seem to get bored... every listen is a new experience and a new lesson. i get to learn a lot and enjoy a lot. and i wish everyday, 'why the hell wasnt i born in CANADA?'

mvikred
----
I'm addicted to Technical Death Metal ... Somebody save me
25.05.2006 - 02:15
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
@ mvikred:
Woah, thats a massive list... no dout that technical death metal ss your favourite genre. Thanks man,

@ addelwis
Children of Bodom?? Aaaah ok.... ???
----

Hellcunt Smurf
25.05.2006 - 04:13
mvikred
Written by Xtreme Jax on 25.05.2006 at 02:15

@ mvikred:
Woah, thats a massive list... no dout that technical death metal ss your favourite genre. Thanks man,

@ addelwis
Children of Bodom?? Aaaah ok.... ???

well .. u shud know that from my signature
----
25.05.2006 - 12:39
__Az__
Hmmmm... Children Of Bodom are a wierd one...

I would have said that they are extreme power metal .... Nothing like death...
25.05.2006 - 13:44
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I agree, i dont consider Children Of Bodom to be death metal... let alone Technical Death.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
25.05.2006 - 14:06
Falcon
Idd, CoB is extreme power, no death metal at all! Maybe The Berzerker can be named here too, technical industrial death metal...
----

°~\m/~° Thoughts of death inside tear me apart from the core of my soul °~\m/~°
25.05.2006 - 15:33
mvikred
bezerker and technical :O .... somehow i dont find them very technical , heard very less of them , and i totally hate anything that has industrial attached to it... but from wat i heard, i dont think u can really term berzerker as technical, man.
----
25.05.2006 - 15:50
Falcon
It depends... But sometimes they're really industrial indeed, sometimes they even remind me of hardcore techno in the form of metal
----

°~\m/~° Thoughts of death inside tear me apart from the core of my soul °~\m/~°
25.05.2006 - 16:00
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Mmm i see them as Deathcore or an Industrial style of Grind ... well somewhere along those lines. Just my opinion on they're sound. But not technical in my books.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
25.05.2006 - 23:35
Nagash
Account deleted
As old school i'll choose Atheist and Silent scream
As Brutal i think Necrophagist is the best
27.05.2006 - 18:48
__Az__
Atheist/ Death and Decapitated are the best in this genre...
27.05.2006 - 19:01
AnoTher_HanD
Account deleted
My favorite tecnical death metal bands

Death
Quo Vadis (canadian)
Cryptopsy
Necrophagist
Decapitated
Sadus (ok, isnt too much death, its more thrash)
27.05.2006 - 21:36
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I wanted to ask if "Obscura" by Gorguts is technical death metal album or is it something else (whatever that "else" is)? It´s definitely among my favourite albums but it sounds really weird, even for technical death.
28.05.2006 - 01:02
Endoftherainbow
Written by CrypticMyth on 21.05.2006 at 15:34

This is my fav. genre too if you didnt notice

Yeah you got them there is really nothing that I can add to that except Death.
28.05.2006 - 07:59
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by CrypticMyth on 21.05.2006 at 15:17

Written by Immortal Plague on 21.05.2006 at 06:16

FAR FAR From it.
They hardly use time signature changes, give much less importance to other instruments compared to many other technical death metal bands, and the riffs(core rhythmic riffs, for example when the solo or lead is going on, or even during the verse sometimes) are quite simplistic many times, for example in the song Mutilate The Stillborn (and many others too).
Further, look at their drumming. The first album had a drum machince for god's sake. How can you say they are the most technical band overall? Even in the second album, the drumming was good, but nothing exceptional.

I just want to say that Necrophagist are not the most talented/technical band out there as cited. They are very very technical though - I'll give them that. But playing an infinite number of solos and leads in a song doesn't make you technical sorry. Otherwise Megadeth's Rust In Peace or just about any Cacophony album would be 'technical' as well.

Chah man ... that was awesome , didnt knew that. I dont have much knowledge about the technical aspect of tech dm thing. I use to think that Necrophagist are the best .

Atheist and Wetwork in my top list these days .

Any idea how is Anata's new album ??
28.05.2006 - 16:40
Soul less
Account deleted
Guys, can we all agree that Necrophagist are great and stop posting the same stuff. BTW I LOVE NILE!!!

Plus, who the hell said that COB are tec death??? WTF!!! Why doesn't someone just add Nightwish and HIM to this forum --->