Metal Storm logo
Technical Death Metal

Original post

Posted by Xtreme Jax, 20.05.2006 - 20:08
Well Im building up my Techinical Death Metal collection and im wondering what bands and albums should be needed in this collection, and thought that a thread needs to be made for recommendations on this. Im a fan of Psycroptic, Suffocation, and Cryptopsy.

Any list albums that should be inclued in the collection, bands and/or albums.

EDIT: Now we've got a lot of Tech DM bands added, make sure you go through and check if the band has been added or not, saves a bunch of repeats. Also lets get a little discussion about some of the bands.
30.07.2011 - 21:41
Xenosimian

this band slays. the ep is sooo good!
----
This body holding me, reminding me of my own mortality
We are eternal, this pain is just an illusion...
01.08.2011 - 05:05
Rog-Mothoth
So whats everybodys opinion of Obscura? Everyone in the band (except Steffen Kummerer) has been in a notiable tech death band and it really shows on their albums (espicially "Omnivium").
----
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 06:44

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.08.2011 at 01:04

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

... I can hear your prog boners from here. D:<

Liar... Everyone knows the only way to sense a boner is by smell D:<
01.08.2011 - 09:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Rog-Mothoth on 01.08.2011 at 05:05

So whats everybodys opinion of Obscura? Everyone in the band (except Steffen Kummerer) has been in a notiable tech death band and it really shows on their albums (espicially "Omnivium").

Mmm their current bassplayer Linus Klausenitzer also hasn't been in a notable tech death band and neither has their bass player on their first album Jonas Fischer
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.08.2011 - 17:18
Rog-Mothoth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.08.2011 at 09:16

Written by Rog-Mothoth on 01.08.2011 at 05:05

Mmm their current bassplayer Linus Klausenitzer also hasn't been in a notable tech death band and neither has their bass player on their first album Jonas Fischer

Well i guess i wasnt being too technical on the past or now present bass players now was I (pun somewhat intended)? I havent heard eithier of their playing,so are they any good?
----
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 06:44

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.08.2011 at 01:04

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

... I can hear your prog boners from here. D:<

Liar... Everyone knows the only way to sense a boner is by smell D:<
02.08.2011 - 04:18
robotsnowman
Try Brain Drill, The Faceless, Hiroshima Will Burn, Obscura, Quo Vadis, and Viraemia
----
Hell's child
Is the name you know
And I always raise my sword
Against the liars

In fury
Now I'm asking you
What colour is your blood?
21.09.2011 - 23:00
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Check these lists out for some good Technical Death metal:
My Tech Death Collection
Mechanist's list of must have's
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

22.09.2011 - 16:19
zero
Great lists! Let's discover bands
01.10.2011 - 21:10
Misfit74
Decapitated
Soreption
Obscura
Gorod
01.10.2011 - 21:12
Misfit74
Written by Dark Cornatus on 26.05.2011 at 06:57

I find Decapitated's first album to be one of the greats of TDM that i have heard. I think because the wrote the material at such a young age (i think Vitek was in his early teens) and could make such complex music, makes them brilliant.

Agreed. In fact, I love all their albums but that early stuff (The Eye of Horus, The First Damned, etc.) is really fantastic. \m/
11.10.2011 - 13:28
edgethrasherx
I recommend Decapitated and Obscura to get started, they are pretty awesome
----
"killing for religion. something i don't understand"-Dave Mustaine
17.10.2011 - 13:06
RockeRoy
Psycroptic, Necrophagist, Gorod and Decapitated are my 4 favorits
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
31.10.2011 - 04:30
Fist of Death
Sleep Terror (Drum Cover Halloween Special)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFnrs1JZJxQ
----
-
31.10.2011 - 12:40
A.Ghosheh
I wonder why when it comes to technical death no one mentions Nile... though I'm pretty sure they are the best technical band I've ever heard. maybe there are some bands that are more technical, but no one has that epic sound that Nile has.
----
Kem Khefa Kheshef
31.10.2011 - 13:20
JD
Account deleted
Written by A.Ghosheh on 31.10.2011 at 12:40

I wonder why when it comes to technical death no one mentions Nile... though I'm pretty sure they are the best technical band I've ever heard. maybe there are some bands that are more technical, but no one has that epic sound that Nile has.

Well if you read the previous posts, there are some users who mentioned Nile here before.

And yes Nile uses some crazy techniques, but they are not a %100 technical death metal band, if you ask me.
01.11.2011 - 02:15
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite

I myself also don't mention Nile much in threads like this because anybody who knows about the tech death genre usually/should already know about Nile so I like to list some of the lesser known or more obscure tech death bands...\m/
----

01.11.2011 - 13:10
Guib
Thrash Talker

I always mention nile list
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
03.11.2011 - 02:51
One of the godfathers of tech death, Atheist. Can't go wrong there.
03.11.2011 - 04:52
king_matt
I don't see why everyone says Necrophagist just try to hard to be technical. Okay maybe I can understand Epitaph, but there are some fucking awesome riffs on OoP.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
12.11.2011 - 02:48
A.Ghosheh
Written by psykometal on 01.11.2011 at 02:15

I myself also don't mention Nile much in threads like this because anybody who knows about the tech death genre usually/should already know about Nile so I like to list some of the lesser known or more obscure tech death bands...\m/

fair enough
----
Kem Khefa Kheshef
12.11.2011 - 02:58
Savopipo
Death metal in itself is technical. There should never be a genre called technical death metal ... it's like saying non-christian black metal.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
12.11.2011 - 03:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Savopipo on 12.11.2011 at 02:58
Death metal in itself is technical. There should never be a genre called technical death metal ... it's like saying non-christian black metal.

Well there's regular death metal which is slightly technical, and then there's technical death metal which is full-blown technical.

Basically, compare Cannibal Corpse with Brain Drill.

Also, there are black metal bands that sing about Christianity...I believe the movement has been dubbed white metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.11.2011 - 03:08
Savopipo
White metal??? I couldn't care less .. it's like stryper trying to make a buck out of nwbhm in the eighteees .. black metal is black metal .. hail SATAN!
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
12.11.2011 - 16:48
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.11.2011 at 03:06

Well there's regular death metal which is slightly technical, and then there's technical death metal which is full-blown technical.

Basically, compare Cannibal Corpse with Brain Drill.

This is true.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.11.2011 at 03:06

Also, there are black metal bands that sing about Christianity...I believe the movement has been dubbed white metal.

Depending on the person/site it's either white metal or unblack metal or 'black' metal (ex. Antestor @ MA).

Written by Savopipo on 12.11.2011 at 03:08

White metal??? I couldn't care less .. it's like stryper trying to make a buck out of nwbhm in the eighteees .. black metal is black metal .. hail SATAN!

Me personally I don't view black metal as a religious (or anti-religious) movement, it's just another genre of metal with it's own set of characteristics. The fact that a lot of BM bands are anti-religious is just a commonality just like a lot of DM bands are gory and the genre started off in the gore topic, however no one segregates DM bands as gore DM bands (Cannibal Corpse) or political DM bands (Misery Index) or anti-religious DM bands (Deicide) it's all just DM so why does BM have to be segregated into black metal and white metal/unblack metal/'black' metal? Listen to Antestor some time (objectively and unbiased), they employ all the same characteristics as the anti-religious BM bands but their lyrics are christian (anti-evil) as opposed to anti-christian. For the longest time BM was my fave genre (recently TDM has become my fave) and I couldn't get enough of it, I am a christian but all my fave BM bands are the "evil" ones like Dark Funeral and Enthroned; and I do also enjoy Antestor just as much. I listen to metal for the music, the vocals are just another instrument so the lyrics don't mean shit to me.
----

12.11.2011 - 17:13
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Xenosimian on 30.07.2011 at 21:41

I listened to 3 songs from this EP in a row. They're absolutely identical. You could chop them up, randomly put them back together and have 3 new songs. and then repeat the process to make another 3, and so on, and so on. There isn't a single memorable riff, or drum fill, or vocal line. Completely nothing. What is the point of creating such shitfest? I think I'd rather listen to Lulu. Lulu at least gets a 2 from me. There is no negative scale, so I can't rate this shit.
13.11.2011 - 06:00
Misfit74
Written by Daniell on 12.11.2011 at 17:13

Written by Xenosimian on 30.07.2011 at 21:41

I listened to 3 songs from this EP in a row. They're absolutely identical. You could chop them up, randomly put them back together and have 3 new songs. and then repeat the process to make another 3, and so on, and so on. There isn't a single memorable riff, or drum fill, or vocal line. Completely nothing. What is the point of creating such shitfest? I think I'd rather listen to Lulu. Lulu at least gets a 2 from me. There is no negative scale, so I can't rate this shit.

So....you don't like it then?
20.11.2011 - 02:24
JÄY
Metal slave
Uugghh, I just listened to Origin for the first time (newest one) and I'm getting sick of all these techdeath bands thinking its a race to see who can play fastsest and most technical....sure, pick a genre, but then just make some good music. I'm only frustrated because I like the genre so much, but this attitudeand execution is killing it for me.
20.11.2011 - 03:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by JÄY on 20.11.2011 at 02:24
I just listened to Origin for the first time (newest one)

Well there's your problem. Their first three are the best of the bunch.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.11.2011 - 03:41
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.11.2011 at 03:01

Written by JÄY on 20.11.2011 at 02:24
I just listened to Origin for the first time (newest one)

Well there's your problem. Their first three are the best of the bunch.

howre they differnet?
20.11.2011 - 03:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by JÄY on 20.11.2011 at 03:41
howre they differnet?

As the band "progressed" they seemed to put more focus on trying to sound like Brain Drill. Their earlier works are much better in the songwriting department, as in the entire album isn't one long showboating affair. And the less polished production gives the music an organic feel, whereas their most recent release is too polished.
----
20.11.2011 - 04:01
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.11.2011 at 03:43

As the band "progressed" they seemed to put more focus on trying to sound like Brain Drill.

I beg to differ, I don't think anyone could contend with Brain Drill on useless wankery, haha. Honestly I like all of thier albums, Echoes is my least favorite though (no Longstreth on that one so it just wasn't the same), I have no issues with Entity myself. However I still maintain that Archspire is THE best tech death band right now... \m/
----