08. Rusted Nail
09. Dead Eyes
10. Monsters In The Ballroom
11. Filtered Truth

The Biggest Letdown Of 2014

Guest review by
Fallen Ghost
Rating:
In Flames.. In Flames.. Chew a little on that name, taste it, swirl it around. What comes to your mind? Some have their mind set back in time, where the band was one of the big bands in the melodic death metal scene with highly acclaimed albums like Whoracle, Colony and Clayman. Others have accepted (or are bitter over) the new sound the band slowly, but surely adopted. And Siren Charms is not an exception.

Read more ››
published 11.02.2015 | Comments (9)

Found in 22 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 145   Visited by: 1441 users
05.09.2014 - 21:43
Rating: 1
Sword_Chant
This is the first 1/10 i've ever given on MS. With all respect to In Flames, they've made a lot of good albums. I've tried very hard to like it and I love In Flames' music, but this album is absolutely shit. The last 2 were fairly average but bearable at least and there were some ok songs. But on this one it's like everything poor and unflattering came together in the mix. Then combine that with bad production, bad vocals, the headachy loud drum snares (especially 'In Plain View') blended in with this new radio friendly Linkin Park-ish sound they've been going for. There's nothing wrong with change in direction, it's actually really cool when bands do that with albums - but these songs are BORING!!!! I've heard a few bad albums in my time, but this is one of the worst i've heard yet. It gives Lulu a run for its money.
06.09.2014 - 02:49
Opethian
Written by Sword_Chant on 05.09.2014 at 21:43

This is the first 1/10 i've ever given on MS. With all respect to In Flames, they've made a lot of good albums. I've tried very hard to like it and I love In Flames' music, but this album is absolutely shit. The last 2 were fairly average but bearable at least and there were some ok songs. But on this one it's like everything poor and unflattering came together in the mix. Then combine that with bad production, bad vocals, the headachy loud drum snares (especially 'In Plain View') blended in with this new radio friendly Linkin Park-ish sound they've been going for. There's nothing wrong with change in direction, it's actually really cool when bands do that with albums - but these songs are BORING!!!! I've heard a few bad albums in my time, but this is one of the worst i've heard yet. It gives Lulu a run for its money.

Dont go posting that on their Official Facebook page. The Blind fanboys will call you out for not being a 'TRUE FAN'. Whatever that means ..
06.09.2014 - 02:57
Rating: 5
Pesek
It just seems they thought: "We are gonna make a big fanclub in the first years of our career and then we will release shit albums" hoping to keep their fans.. is it all happening only because they lost their guitarist or what? ..anyway very very bad record..
06.09.2014 - 04:08
Rating: 8
aldamirgwh
I was a little pessimist on this... given the reviews. But to my surprise, I actually like it. Just 2 tracks that I could pass: "Everything's Gone" and "When the World Explodes". The rest are good, imo... A different IN FLAMES, but good nonetheless. Give it a 8!
06.09.2014 - 07:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by BloodJuNkie on 05.09.2014 at 18:58
This album deserves 5-6 ... nothing more ... nothing less!

Evidently the majority disagrees with your personal assessment.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.09.2014 - 07:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by iMorphball on 05.09.2014 at 17:51
Also, please reserve 1 ratings for shit like LuLu, because that actually was garbage with 0 redeeming qualities.

What if people think this is garbage with 0 redeeming qualities though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.09.2014 - 08:18
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Opethian on 06.09.2014 at 02:49

Written by Sword_Chant on 05.09.2014 at 21:43

Dont go posting that on their Official Facebook page. The Blind fanboys will call you out for not being a 'TRUE FAN'. Whatever that means ..

I post it on Facebook and they(The Blind fanboys) said not only 'true fan' even they call me a big faggot old fans.
06.09.2014 - 13:03
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 06.09.2014 at 08:18

I post it on Facebook and they(The Blind fanboys) said not only 'true fan' even they call me a 'big faggot' old fans.

I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about but whatever it is, probably best not repeated here because it sounds offensive and unacceptable.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
06.09.2014 - 13:17
Rating: 7
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.09.2014 at 07:05

Written by BloodJuNkie on 05.09.2014 at 18:58
This album deserves 5-6 ... nothing more ... nothing less!

Evidently the majority disagrees with your personal assessment.

Yeah i know.i don't blame them though. Actually i didn't realize how good was SOAPF until i listened to SC. It still has some good songs though but it would be better if it wasn't In Flames!
06.09.2014 - 14:17
Rating: 1
Litvin
It was really hard to listen the whole record (it took a few days for me to finish) it is really boring stuff... and I will never listen to it again.
Anders was saying recently that recent record it is still Old In Flames - but it is NOT.
In Flames stop to be In Flames even not from the recent record but from about Soundtrack To Your Escape.

p.s
It is hard to believe that IF start to procure such kind of "music" but anyway there is no more original members left in that band - may be that is a reason.
Next time they should call Britney Spears or something to help to record their new album.
My vote is 0 of 10 but there is no 0 in the vote dropdown.

Meet New In Flames - The New Wave Of Hipster Metal
06.09.2014 - 14:40
Rating: 6
Therapy?
Apart from the fact that this album is somewhat of a disappointment, what really ticks me off as a fan is that they think it's okay to simply discriminate between fans inside and outside of scandinavia by denying the latter acces to some of their new work (two bonus songs called "The Chase" and "Become The Sun" only available on spotify for people who live in scandinavia) I threw away 50 euro's for the special edition box of Siren Charms (which is also disappointing in terms of content value). At least have the decency to put the bonus songs in there.
06.09.2014 - 15:15
Pure SHIT!!! Huge disappointment..RIP InFlames
06.09.2014 - 15:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Therapy? on 06.09.2014 at 14:40
At least have the decency to put the bonus songs in there.

That's usually the label's decision, not the band's.
----
06.09.2014 - 15:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Litvin on 06.09.2014 at 14:17
The New Wave Of Hipster Metal

I think that trend currently belongs to the blackgaze movement (see: Deafheaven).
----
06.09.2014 - 19:07
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
I expected it to enter the "Bottom 20 albums" of all time list though!
06.09.2014 - 19:11
Rating: 2
FatihBatur
Very bad
06.09.2014 - 21:12
deathflea
Good music for people who don't understand or care about music. Rusted Nail is the only redeeming track that is memorable in any way, and even it would have been considered a b-side for In Flames as recently as 2008. Sad state. Hope Sony makes them a lot of money at the price of their dignity.
07.09.2014 - 00:05
Opethian

I post it on Facebook and they(The Blind fanboys) said not only 'true fan' even they call me a big faggot old fans.

They're Idiots. Fuck em and Fuck In Flames ..
07.09.2014 - 08:37
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Ace Frawley on 06.09.2014 at 13:03

I post it on Facebook and they(The Blind fanboys) said not only 'true fan' even they call me a 'big faggot' old fans.

I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about but whatever it is, probably best not repeated here because it sounds offensive and unacceptable.

When someone ask questions(to pub).... "What your fav In Flames album ?" And I say The Jester.. ahahah you know.... They said me "big faggot" and not "true fan".
I really do not know why they say such a thing.. very odd
07.09.2014 - 11:37
The Paul
Ohhh In Flames, what have you turned yourselves into?
07.09.2014 - 14:22
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 07.09.2014 at 08:37

Written by Ace Frawley on 06.09.2014 at 13:03

When someone ask questions(to pub).... "What your fav In Flames album ?" And I say The Jester.. ahahah you know.... They said me "big faggot" and not "true fan".
I really do not know why they say such a thing.. very odd

Yeah, okay, I get it. Big deal. Why would you bother repeating such offensive rubbish here. People who say such things shouldn't get more publicity for their views. By all means take it up with those that instigated the comments, but it's not helpful to just go around repeating it in other places.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
07.09.2014 - 14:24
schlakt
Deserves a couple of listens.
07.09.2014 - 18:03
The single was awful,so I'm not very suprised...
07.09.2014 - 21:53
John Shock
I love it...i'm not surprised about the album being on the bottom 20...i like that statement...ahahahah!!!
08.09.2014 - 00:02
Rating: 8
jesterhead57
Even tho my name is jesterhead, I haven't been a fan since around Soundtrack to Your Escape - Come Clarity. Their last two albums, A Sense of Purpose and SOAPF sucked horribly to me. This however, sounds pretty good. Yeah, its even further away from the old In Flames (Clayman and earlier), but it sounds decent to my ears, and that's what matters.
08.09.2014 - 02:31
Mattybu
Written by Ace Frawley on 07.09.2014 at 14:22

Yeah, okay, I get it. Big deal. Why would you bother repeating such offensive rubbish here. People who say such things shouldn't get more publicity for their views. By all means take it up with those that instigated the comments, but it's not helpful to just go around repeating it in other places.

I actually find it interesting people were getting up in his grill for liking The Jester Race, the consensus among most people is In Flames has gone to shit, although there is the odd few (especially on any facebook comment thread) who claim that the change in sound is a good thing, and the true fans like it, or similar bullshit to that. It always happens though when a band changes their sound, and for every increasingly pitiful pile of garbage bands like In Flames put out there will be people playing the true fan card all over the place
08.09.2014 - 03:06
Rating: 2
Gave it 5 listens. Haven't been this disappointed in a band I love since Metallica's St. Anger. Oh well. Better luck next time.
08.09.2014 - 04:49
Rating: 4
iMorphball
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.09.2014 at 07:07

Written by iMorphball on 05.09.2014 at 17:51
Also, please reserve 1 ratings for shit like LuLu, because that actually was garbage with 0 redeeming qualities.

What if people think this is garbage with 0 redeeming qualities though.

but... LULU, c'mon man.
08.09.2014 - 11:56
Rating: 4
s_t_s
Finally rated it 4 because after several listenings I feel like I've wasted my time listening to boring music... Not even mentioning this is In Flames, just that it all sounds very uninspired except Rusted Nail...

When Rusted Nail came out I hoped it would be the weakest track of the album, now it appears this is indeed the strongest one...

Feel so sad, don't wanna listen to you anymore IF
08.09.2014 - 18:43
Rating: 3
ScottyM
I'll preface my following statement by admitting that I got into In Flames (and truthfully, Melodeath, In Flames was my first back in 2006) through the album Come Clarity. I thought it was good, I thought their previous works were good. Whoracle was a masterpiece, and Soundtrack To Your Escape was unique and modern. The Jester Race was raw, Reroute to Remain had a lot of catchy songs and I even thought Sounds of a Playground Fading was a solid effort with a couple of catchy choruses and interesting solos. We'll all agree to pretend that Sense of Purpose just doesn't exist. I don't think I'll have many that would disagree on that one.

I'm not impressed. Rusted Nail was enjoyable for me at first listen when they released the video. The rest of the album is, at best: ho-hum. Definitely entirely forgettable. I can't say I won't listen to it again at some point, because me being the tolerable person I am, I'm liable to give it a second chance, although as it stands right now, I don't care for this album at all. This truly was a disappointment, which for me feels like a very strong statement to say about In Flames, since I've been one of the most tolerant of their musical direction changes they've gone through, up until now. There's no catchy choruses, the guitar work is very bland, no one song really stands out as one of those "I wanna go back and listen to that over and over!" type of song. The production of this album is just... weird. There's a lot going on, and it seems very disjointed and muddled. It's almost like post-production was slapped together over the course of a weekend. Did they switch out producers from the last album? I don't know, but this album bears little resemblance to any of their previous work. I find it very difficult to pick out any resemblances to older works. Can anyone please show me these resemblances? And the vocals! Surprisingly enough, I often don't tend to put too much weight towards the vocals in Melodeath. A few are weird, but they almost always grow on me and turn out to be really a vital part of the band (perfect example: Omnium Gatherum, or Epica with the grunts after they finally learned how to properly produce/blend them into their songs). To actually have vocals that make me think less of the song though, I liken that to the analogy of the annoying giant elephant in the room that detracts from the fact that the walls are lined with the leaked photos of nakey Kate Upton. You want to like the photos, but not only are they a let-down when you realize the disproportionate frog hips, but now you have a fucking elephant in the room too. Not much about that situation or this album is good.

I read an article last week or so where Anders was being interviewed. He took humor towards the (somewhat truthful) fact that every time these guys have released an album, all the way back to the beginning, everyone hated the new album. Even Whoracle came under fire, and now it's arguably regarded as their best work to date. Everyone tends to bash the new album, but In Flames will find new fans, or their albums are growers, but man, I'd be hard pressed to see this album growing, mostly because I have no ambition to even attempt to let it grown on me. Life's too short to listen to disappointing music.

Hits total: 31276 | This month: 51