05. 1.618
06. Gravimetric Time Dilation
07. Our Cosmic Casket
08. Biomech II
09. Through Ages Of Ice - Otzi's Curse
10. Genocide For Praise - Vals For The Vitruvian Man

Top 20 albums of 2014: 19

Additional info
Recorded, mixed and mastered by Dave Otero at Flatline Audio.

Staff review by
Mattybu
Rating:
N/A
My first impressions of Allegaeon's new album, Elements Of The Infinite, were definitely strange. The album opens up an acoustic part, not all that strange in itself, but then morphs into this grandiose orchestral intro that sounds like the music to a God of War game with electric guitar arpeggios over it. Yikes...

Read more ››
published 09.07.2014 | Comments (15)

Found in 38 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 53   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 845 users
06.05.2014 - 20:05
J. N.
Account deleted
07.05.2014 - 08:57
Rating: 9
Necrodamus
SO stoked for this! Hilarious video btw.
10.05.2014 - 10:30
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by Guest on 06.05.2014 at 20:05

Hilarious yet awesome!
21.06.2014 - 19:35
jfAkerfeldt
OMG ¡¡¡¡ it´s fucking amazing album¡¡¡¡

is the best album so far in 2014 ... The complexity of the music, but at the same time is a striking example of brutality and virtuosity Incredible album
24.06.2014 - 10:46
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
AWESOME!!!!!
24.06.2014 - 15:15
Rating: 8
Eternity'sChild
From what I've heard so far, this is absolutely incredible. Need more listens though, but this was really worth the money.
25.06.2014 - 12:01
Rating: 10
Michaelis
For me, one of the best album this year. Should be in TOP 5 immediately!
26.06.2014 - 02:50
Ok, the video was awesome, it convinced me to check this album.
----
Hey there, tiny wench !
26.06.2014 - 04:11
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
It's clear that these guys finally matured in their songwriting. Not to say that it's infinitely better than anything they've written, but it's a step in the right direction.
26.06.2014 - 08:03
Panzerfrost
Yes! AGreed! This album must be among top 3! Beautiful!!!
26.06.2014 - 10:07
Until this came out, Arch Enemy was slated as my Album of the Year. Holy SHIT did this trump Arch Enemy! This is as close to metal perfection as I've heard all year
26.06.2014 - 13:58
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Awesome video indeed! to be checked!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
30.06.2014 - 05:03
Necrodamus
Man this album is awesome, and such an improvement over Formshifter. Third times the charm, they have crafted their opus.
30.06.2014 - 13:32
Sword_Chant
Never heard of this band until now - i'm not exactly a huge death metal fan, but this stuff sounds fucking epic.
01.07.2014 - 18:14
Rating: 8
Hazelnut Nero
I really liked this album . They matured and the result was awesome for them - and us .

Check my list for the best of 2013 and tell me if you agree on some of those .
http://metalstorm.net/users/lists.php?user_id=151106
02.07.2014 - 03:16
Deon101
This may very well be one of the greatest albums I've ever heard... I might be speaking prematurely as I'm only on my first listen, but I can't find one fault with any of the songs. Well, Biomech II wasn't as exciting, but standing next to any other song that came out this year, its damn near perfection. The beauty and intensity in the guitars interplay with each other and symphonic elements underneath it all. The passion behind the solos, I am inspired.
02.07.2014 - 13:44
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
What is it with everyone saying that this is easily the best album they've ever hear all year or their entire life
02.07.2014 - 22:42
Deon101
Written by LeKiwi on 02.07.2014 at 13:44

What is it with everyone saying that this is easily the best album they've ever hear all year or their entire life

Well I don't know what everyone else is into, but I can tell you what I like. I like symphonic elements in music, but not so much to go listen to symphonic metal bands and they have a perfect balance of what's necessary. I like my guitars to have their own voices in songs, and what I mean by that is that they don't just riff out an entire song with a 16 measure solo and call it a day. These guys have melodies, licks, epic solos, and enough sense to know when to much is enough and when to use clean guitars, you would be surprised how many albums DON'T utilize clean guitars, they are pretty precise with their playing. Their bass isn't melted in the background. Their songwriting is pretty impressive, especially since this is the first I'VE ever heard of them. And quite frankly, this album rips from start to finish. They don't overdue it with the breakdowns, the drummer is really spot on with all his grooves, and the vocals.... are just vocals. If I can't take any points away from the album, if I can't find any faults, then to me it is easily a 10 and that doesn't happen to often if at all.

That's just MY opinion. I'd definitely recommend this to a friend.
03.07.2014 - 00:06
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Deon101 on 02.07.2014 at 22:42

Well I don't know what everyone else is into, but I can tell you what I like. I like symphonic elements in music, but not so much to go listen to symphonic metal bands and they have a perfect balance of what's necessary. I like my guitars to have their own voices in songs, and what I mean by that is that they don't just riff out an entire song with a 16 measure solo and call it a day. These guys have melodies, licks, epic solos, and enough sense to know when to much is enough and when to use clean guitars, you would be surprised how many albums DON'T utilize clean guitars, they are pretty precise with their playing. Their bass isn't melted in the background. Their songwriting is pretty impressive, especially since this is the first I'VE ever heard of them. And quite frankly, this album rips from start to finish. They don't overdue it with the breakdowns, the drummer is really spot on with all his grooves, and the vocals.... are just vocals. If I can't take any points away from the album, if I can't find any faults, then to me it is easily a 10 and that doesn't happen to often if at all.

That's just MY opinion. I'd definitely recommend this to a friend.

Wow, you're really lucky. You must be new to this whole thing if this comes across as unique or fresh in any way. Everything here has been done, and better at that. Also faultless/perfect/flawless (whatever you'd like to use) doesn't mean an album is worth a 10. Anything that meets the expectations and fulfills the designated purpose is perfect. In other words, go listen to more music
03.07.2014 - 00:31
Stoned Crow
Quote:
Quote:

Wow, you're really lucky. You must be new to this whole thing if this comes across as unique or fresh in any way. Everything here has been done, and better at that. Also faultless/perfect/flawless (whatever you'd like to use) doesn't mean an album is worth a 10. Anything that meets the expectations and fulfills the designated purpose is perfect. In other words, go listen to more music

I'm stealing this from Troy:

You could at least offer some suggestions, in regards to what's been done before and better at doing so.
----
I'm very serious about not being serious.
03.07.2014 - 00:50
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Stoned Crow on 03.07.2014 at 00:31
I'm stealing this from Troy:

You could at least offer some suggestions, in regards to what's been done before and better at doing so.

Brilliant...and good point. I'll do that ASAP
03.07.2014 - 00:57
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog

Try this out, very similar and much better:

03.07.2014 - 01:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 03.07.2014 at 00:06

I'm sorry to say this, but how pretentious can you get? I mean it's bad enough how condescending you come across but then to point out that someone else isn't rating an album properly because they judge music differently than you? Get over yourself dude. People listen to music for different reasons and judge it all depending on what they want to judge it for. If someone thinks this is a perfect album because it sounds perfect to them regardless of what's been done before (a point I find especially laughable given your Ouroboros suggestion) then that's their opinion.

Sorry for the off-topic and somewhat personal attack, but these are the kinds of conversations that make people want to stop posting in the forums.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.07.2014 - 01:31
mz
Their previous album is one of my favorite melodeath records. Will check this asap
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
03.07.2014 - 01:32
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog

By the way, I apologise for the arrogant reply earlier - I was being a dick. I was just appalled at how highly rated this album is and and when you replied...yeah.
03.07.2014 - 01:33
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.07.2014 at 01:13

I'm sorry to say this, but how pretentious can you get? I mean it's bad enough how condescending you come across but then to point out that someone else isn't rating an album properly because they judge music differently than you? Get over yourself dude. People listen to music for different reasons and judge it all depending on what they want to judge it for. If someone thinks this is a perfect album because it sounds perfect to them regardless of what's been done before (a point I find especially laughable given your Ouroboros suggestion) then that's their opinion.

Sorry for the off-topic and somewhat personal attack, but these are the kinds of conversations that make people want to stop posting in the forums.

Agreed. My bad. Although, I don't see what's laughable about my suggestion
03.07.2014 - 01:44
Sword_Chant
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.07.2014 at 01:13

Written by LeKiwi on 03.07.2014 at 00:06

^ agree with above. Same dude was judging me based on a band I like a lil while back... whatever happened to 'to each their own'?. If someone already likes a band, let them. Having an opinion /taste is fine, so long as it's not forced down other people's throats. If you don't like said band, don't bother listening to them. And if someone has a different view from a band than you do.. so what?! That's their choice. Doesn't mean they're any less educated than other users on MS and to imply such a thing, needn't really have to say any more.
03.07.2014 - 01:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 03.07.2014 at 01:33
Agreed. My bad. Although, I don't see what's laughable about my suggestion

Not because it's a bad album, but because you suggested it in lieu of something that had been done before. I haven't listened to that album since it was initially released back when psykometal suggested it to me, but "original" and "fresh" aren't exactly two qualities that came to mind upon hearing it. Mind you it did feel a little more groove-oriented than most forms of technical metal, but that's it.

I do agree with you that this particular album isn't unique either, but then again that's something increasingly difficult to find these days in almost any genre. I can see why this is being so highly touted though. It mixes melody and extremity seamlessly, the instrumentation is tight, and in spite of the technical approach the songs aren't mired in too much fancy guitar noodling. It's catchy but still fun - not unlike that Ouroboros album actually.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.07.2014 - 01:56
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Sword_Chant on 03.07.2014 at 01:44

^ agree with above. Same dude was judging me based on a band I like a lil while back... whatever happened to 'to each their own'?. If someone already likes a band, let them. Having an opinion /taste is fine, so long as it's not forced down other people's throats. If you don't like said band, don't bother listening to them.

Dude...I'm sorry but this is just wrong (regarding AE's latest album):

Written by Sword_Chant on 10.06.2014 at 21:40

Considering there's not been many well known metal releases so far this year, i'd say it's one of the best albums i've heard in 2014.

It had nothing to do with your tastes, but rather the fact that you dismissed dozens of other albums released by some rather influential bands.
03.07.2014 - 02:03
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.07.2014 at 01:46

Not because it's a bad album, but because you suggested it in lieu of something that had been done before. I haven't listened to that album since it was initially released back when psykometal suggested it to me, but "original" and "fresh" aren't exactly two qualities that came to mind upon hearing it. Mind you it did feel a little more groove-oriented than most forms of technical metal, but that's it.

I do agree with you that this particular album isn't unique either, but then again that's something increasingly difficult to find these days in almost any genre. I can see why this is being so highly touted though. It mixes melody and extremity seamlessly, the instrumentation is tight, and in spite of the technical approach the songs aren't mired in too much fancy guitar noodling. It's catchy but still fun - not unlike that Ouroboros album actually.

I agree with you there - Ouroborus didn't reinvent the wheel with that album. In fact, I'd probably be hard pressed identifying any of their songs in a mix of other tech death. I just wanted to make a quick suggestion of a better album, irrespective of point of freshness/originality. Also, it doesn't help that I've only listened to that album once.

This is pretty tight, and it works well. The melodies and riffs are pretty hackneyed, though. I'd have an easier time identifying songs off this album compared to those of Ouroboros, but that's mostly because these guys tune so damn low.

Hits total: 15557 | This month: 34