Metal Storm logo
Cynic - Stream Bonus Track, Paul And Sean Open Up About Their Sexuality

You will do well to remember that Cynic released a new album earlier this year called Kindly Bent To Free Us. Now they have shared a bonus track, only available on the special edition of the record. The track is called "Earth Is My Witness" and you can listen to it below, if you still haven't.

Cynic guitarist/vocalist Paul Masvidal and drummer Sean Reinert also gave an interview to the Los Angeles Times where they discussed their sexuality. While they were both out in their private lives, they spoke openly about it for the first time in the context of their music. You can read about their experience here. More power to them.

Here is an excerpt of the piece:

They're grateful to be coming out to fans in a much different era for metal. "There's much more bandwidth now. Fans are so much more open and experimental," Reinert said. Malone, who is straight, has watched them fight against the worst of the metal scene's homophobia for years.

"What I'm proud of is that Paul and Sean know that this isn't really about them ? it's about the kid out there who is struggling and suffering in silence, and that for him or her, this conversation might be a source of encouragement," Malone said.

Even in their 40s, and with gay marriage becoming law across America, Masvidal and Reinert (who lives with a longtime boyfriend) can't quite shake doubts that their careers in metal are still at risk.

"It's one thing to make out with your bandmates and just 'play gay' because it's edgy," Masvidal said. "It's another thing to actually live it." They're also nervous that coming out will take the focus off their music. "There's definitely going to be a reaction, but it's important that we be truthful," Masvidal said.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Cynic
Posted: 08.05.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 37   Visited by: 326 users
08.05.2014 - 22:11
Lit.
Account deleted
I say good for them!
08.05.2014 - 22:15
Lethrokai
Said it yourself there mate:

More power to them.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
08.05.2014 - 22:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Gay or not I don't care for the music. Can't wait until the day where people don't have to make an issue about who they wanna fuck.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.05.2014 - 22:26
Xylem
Good for them. I've never really sensed a great deal of homophobia in the heavy metal world, my experience has always been that of one of the most welcoming and generally friendly communities that I know of; perhaps that's a testament to the changes that have occurred basically within my lifetime. I guess being born in 1994 meant I missed it, which is in no way a bad thing.
08.05.2014 - 22:27
Xylem
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.05.2014 at 22:24

Can't wait until the day where people don't have to make an issue about who they wanna fuck.

Also this.
08.05.2014 - 22:41
Mattybu
Yeah, maybe one day society will get to a point where people don't have to judged based on part of the way they were born. I don't say more power to them, I say I really don't care what sexuality you are, please make some good music like on Focus again (although I really doubt that will ever happen).
08.05.2014 - 22:56
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I really wish it didn't have to be a news development when a "famous" person comes out as gay. It's really not that big of a deal, and a person's sexuality shouldn't really be a topic of discussion. I'm not saying I don't commend the two, because unfortunately we do live in a world where people will think differently of them for being gay, I simply wish everyone got equal treatment. Anyways Cynic are still shit...and that ain't changing
08.05.2014 - 23:03
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Well, their music has been becoming more mellow and emotional, so I can't really say I'm surprised about this announcement.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
08.05.2014 - 23:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 08.05.2014 at 23:03

Well, their music has been becoming more mellow and emotional, so I can't really say I'm surprised about this announcement.

In all honesty their music has become the epitome of "gay" in the pejorative sense of the word.
08.05.2014 - 23:10
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Guest on 08.05.2014 at 23:07

In all honesty their music has become the epitome of "gay" in the pejorative sense of the word.

Not saying it like it's a bad thing, just that it's likely become that way as a result of the two of them interacting on a closer, more intimate level. Artists always tend to express what's going on in their lives through their work.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
08.05.2014 - 23:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 08.05.2014 at 23:10

Not saying it like it's a bad thing, just that it's likely become that way as a result of the two of them interacting on a closer, more intimate level. Artists always tend to express what's going on in their lives through their work.

This is why more couples should hate each other.
08.05.2014 - 23:41
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Eh, what? Are Sean and Paul a couple? I've never read anything which suggests that is the case.
08.05.2014 - 23:46
Read this article this morning, was really happy to see them finally feel comfortable getting everything out in the open. I of course agree it shouldn't matter what a person's sexual orientation is but the rest of the world, including the world of Metal, is not always so accepting so it is an issue. I am glad to hear that when they came back they were met with more acceptance and praise, and I am certain the trend will continue.
09.05.2014 - 01:03
Mattybu
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.05.2014 at 23:41

Eh, what? Are Sean and Paul a couple? I've never read anything which suggests that is the case.

They are not. I think the news' title on MS may have been a little misleading.
09.05.2014 - 01:10
Zadion
"His closets overflow with boxes of vinyl LPs of the new album by his band, Cynic, released in February to metal-scene acclaim"

I found this line more interesting than any of the rest. Didn't most the metal scene actually hate the album?
09.05.2014 - 02:15
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Written by Zadion on 09.05.2014 at 01:10

"His closets overflow with boxes of vinyl LPs of the new album by his band, Cynic, released in February to metal-scene acclaim"

I found this line more interesting than any of the rest. Didn't most the metal scene actually hate the album?

I can't speak for this amorphous "metal scene", but I personally did not care for it. It only makes sense that his closets would be overflowing with something you couldn't give out for free. Sexuality is irrelevant, if we really cared about who is fucking who we could find more drama in other soap opera genres.
09.05.2014 - 02:51
qlacs
"The Quaker"
I think most people does not have a problem with someone being gay as long as they keep it private, but when they having a procession and the media actually puts effort into basically advertise it that makes things a bit maddening. Most people I know doesn't really care but when you see them kissing in the public and hear interviews on the radio I think it's completely natural to get angry, especially when you have kids. These small things can really mess with their head.

As for Cynic, this won't change my view on them or on their music. I haven't heard a good song since Traced In Air...
----
09.05.2014 - 02:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by qlacs on 09.05.2014 at 02:51

especially when you have kids. These small things can really mess with their head.

So reality messes with kid's heads? Good. Reality is something that children need to learn.
09.05.2014 - 03:00
God Alone
I'm fine if they feel okay with all of this. But they don't need anyone's blessing to be what they are. And I'm not really interested in their sex life, it's just gossip.
09.05.2014 - 03:38
Zadion

I think most people does not have a problem with someone being gay as long as they keep it private, but when they having a procession and the media actually puts effort into basically advertise it that makes things a bit maddening. Most people I know doesn't really care but when you see them kissing in the public and hear interviews on the radio I think it's completely natural to get angry, especially when you have kids. These small things can really mess with their head.

As for Cynic, this won't change my view on them or on their music. I haven't heard a good song since Traced In Air...

I, personally, do not support homosexuality, but even I know telling same-sex couples they can't express PDA when heterosexual couples can is very unfair. I also don't think it's fair to say it "messes" with kids' heads. If you don't support homosexuality, just tell your kids, but don't forbid other people from living their lives because you're worried about that. Like everyone else says; it's their lives and we don't even know them, so it's none of our business.
09.05.2014 - 04:13
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Zadion on 09.05.2014 at 03:38

I, personally, do not support homosexuality, but even I know telling same-sex couples they can't express PDA when heterosexual couples can is very unfair. I also don't think it's fair to say it "messes" with kids' heads. If you don't support homosexuality, just tell your kids, but don't forbid other people from living their lives because you're worried about that. Like everyone else says; it's their lives and we don't even know them, so it's none of our business.

Good luck explaining homosexuality to a 5 year old then when all he/she knows about it that daddy and mommy are together and that is what's perfectly normal...
Problem is not with telling the rest of the social circle that they are gay, but if they make a big fuss out of it and make a fest out on the streets, viewing that they are proud to be that way. If they act like normal people nobody cares.
----
09.05.2014 - 05:56
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by qlacs on 09.05.2014 at 04:13

Good luck explaining homosexuality to a 5 year old then when all he/she knows about it that daddy and mommy are together and that is what's perfectly normal...
Problem is not with telling the rest of the social circle that they are gay, but if they make a big fuss out of it and make a fest out on the streets, viewing that they are proud to be that way. If they act like normal people nobody cares.

Normalcy is a relative standard, of course nobody would make a fuss out of it if gays just acted like "normal people," but because homosexuals are in the minority, the common mob thought is going to deem them as unfamiliar, foreign, and thus an issue. Your "how are we going to explain this to our children"-type question is one of the most trite arguments against the gay movement I've ever heard. Thought influences behavior, it's awkward to talk about homosexuality with kids because we make it as so. The second parents grow some balls about actually being able to maturely talk to their kids and give them a dose of reality with the fact that being gay is completely natural and simply a different expression of human behavior is the second that it stops being an awkward topic.
----

~ II. VII
09.05.2014 - 06:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Most people I know doesn't really care but when you see them kissing in the public and hear interviews on the radio I think it's completely natural to get angry, especially when you have kids. These small things can really mess with their head.

This is far too ignorant my for me to even waste my time getting angry about. God forbid children learn to think for themselves.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.05.2014 - 12:03
JD
Account deleted
Written by Mattybu on 09.05.2014 at 01:03

Written by Angelic Storm on 08.05.2014 at 23:41

That's true, I'm confused too now.
09.05.2014 - 12:10
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Sorry if it is confusing to some people. The title it's just pointing it out that Paul and Sean both talked about it, not that they are a couple.

I think you're reading too much into it Anyway, it isn't suggesting that they are a couple at all. You'll understand that if you read the article and not just the title.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.05.2014 - 13:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by qlacs on 09.05.2014 at 04:13

I think you're vastly underestimating 5 years olds. You're painting a picture of a 5 year old breaking down into a stupor, reaching for a pack of 20 Marlboroughs and having a panic attack. In reality a 5 year old won't give a flying fuck and will probably want a cookie. With any luck the idea that couples can be of any combination of sex will remain in their mind and they will grow up understanding this concept without any issues. The only people that are "messed up" are the adults who can't get their brain around it.

A kid is smart. Adults are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.
09.05.2014 - 13:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious

I never thought they were, I was just wondering why some of the posts above mine seemed to be under the impression that they were a couple.
09.05.2014 - 14:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.05.2014 at 13:51

I never thought they were, I was just wondering why some of the posts above mine seemed to be under the impression that they were a couple.

Guilty of that, probably should have read it more thoroughly
09.05.2014 - 17:09
Mattybu
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.05.2014 at 13:51

Yep, as Bloodtears said they aren't a couple and just both happen to be gay. If you read the article it links to on the LA times page or whatever it was there was a mention that one of them had a long time boyfriend.

It sure would create an "interesting dynamic" in the band if they actually were a couple...
09.05.2014 - 18:02
baldur
Wait a second... reinert... the bassist? he is the drummer. someone correct this

Hits total: 5754 | This month: 8