Metal Storm logo
Looking for gothic metal

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 24.01.2007 - 13:12
hi. i recently noticed how much i love nightwish-like moody/sad songs like ghost love score, epica-seyf ad din, the epica song with the terrorism spoken bit and theatre of tragedy-(that damn song with the edgar allen poe narration)
basically, that's what i'm looking for(bands, albums, etc). reccomend away!
28.01.2007 - 18:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 28.01.2007 at 18:47

Moonspell are godly!! The rest of the genre doesn't even come close..
I'm not a big fan of the vbeauty and the beast vocal style gothic metal. However Theatre of Treagedy are quite good.. But even half of Moonspell would beat any gothic metal for me..

I agree Moonspeel ater 1995 are good gothic band specely song Opium, but early it lil remaibd sme black somethibg whit other elements
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.01.2007 - 19:04
okt31
Account deleted
Even earlier they were gothic mixed with some blacker and doomier atmosphere. They have no competition in their field..
29.01.2007 - 16:34
Valentin B
Iconoclast
offtopic: when i first heard the song with the "share the snake, swallow the snake" lyrics(can't remember), i almost thought i was listening to depeche mode. anyway i hate techno-goth metal or whatever this type of metal is called.
29.01.2007 - 19:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 29.01.2007 at 16:34

offtopic: when i first heard the song with the "share the snake, swallow the snake" lyrics(can't remember), i almost thought i was listening to depeche mode. anyway i hate techno-goth metal or whatever this type of metal is called.

IMO its synth - pop genre not goth metal, but Im not shore
----

apos;'
[image]
29.01.2007 - 20:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
hey, i didn't say depeche mode is metal, but it's just that the song in question sounds very much like them. and i hate the combination of the 2 genres.
30.01.2007 - 10:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 29.01.2007 at 20:36

hey, i didn't say depeche mode is metal, but it's just that the song in question sounds very much like them. and i hate the combination of the 2 genres.

I know but that sugenre(not DM) but lil simmilar can count in Gothic supgenre too
----

apos;'
[image]
30.01.2007 - 13:50
SirHooke
Written by Bad English on 30.01.2007 at 10:18

I know but that sugenre(not DM) but lil simmilar can count in Gothic supgenre too

Indeed it can count in Gothic but, like Cursed, I deeply resent it. It takes the soul out of it
But it does exist.
30.01.2007 - 13:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by SirHooke on 30.01.2007 at 13:50

Written by Bad English on 30.01.2007 at 10:18

Indeed it can count in Gothic but, like Cursed, I deeply resent it. It takes the soul out of it
But it does exist.

But there are lil gothic elements into music but I dont count it into metal, but still something from gothic some 5% there are
----

apos;'
[image]
30.01.2007 - 19:31
APOHAKC
The Bard
You can check Abonos from my country, I know Kariaskis know for them but to the others
http://www.abonosband.com/
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
30.01.2007 - 22:55
Rathma
Account deleted
Tristania's "Beyond the Veil" is one of the best goth metal albums period. Start with that.
31.01.2007 - 00:58
delog
Written by Guest on 30.01.2007 at 22:55

Tristania's "Beyond the Veil" is one of the best goth metal albums period. Start with that.
The same I can tell about Sirenia's "At Sixes And Sevens"
31.01.2007 - 07:28
Arrwyn

That album was certainly one of the strongest albums in the genre of gothic metal. It's a shame they can't write material like that anymore.
31.01.2007 - 08:49
MydnightSymphony
Account deleted
Could somebody help me shed some light on the difference between gothic and doom metal? For example, i would have described Tristania as being a doom band with some operatic vocals?
02.02.2007 - 02:36
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Some gothic bands that I like, and they're really cool IMO:

Lake Of Tears
Paradise Lost
Klimt 1918
Lacuna Coil
Leaves' Eyes
The Gathering
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
04.02.2007 - 17:53
Lord Grim
After Forever
Epica (Mark's angry because Sanders' girlfriend sings better than his. lol)
Leaves' Eyes
Tristania
Sirenia
Elis
Some Crematory
Within Temptation
Lake of Tears
Dreams of Sanity
My band...
----
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary in life."
05.02.2007 - 00:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 31.01.2007 at 08:49

Could somebody help me shed some light on the difference between gothic and doom metal? For example, i would have described Tristania as being a doom band with some operatic vocals?

Firts Doom are slow metal so slow and better go
www.doom-metal.com and listen all samples

Tristania well in early albums specely 'Widow Weeds' It can be doom but leither
----

apos;'
[image]
16.02.2007 - 16:57
aya
My recommend: Tacere, from Finland.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPSNXdHEYKI

Very nice melodic metal feat. female and male vocal. They released 1st album some days ago XD
18.02.2007 - 13:41
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by aya on 16.02.2007 at 16:57

Very nice melodic metal feat. female and male vocal. They released 1st album some days ago XD

Nice solo guitar (on that song) . But the song is a little similar to Nightwish's 'Wish I Had An Angel', i think
18.02.2007 - 13:44
duyhung
Account deleted

I agree, but if I have to choose the best album of Tristania, I'd choose 'Widow's Weeds'
20.02.2007 - 17:18
Lupas
Maximus

Yeah good band , they just released their first album. Last Sep they have realsed a mini album . They have a good band , recommended
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
22.02.2007 - 07:56
Geist
Hey, one Goth band you all forgot to mention which owns every band on this thread has got to be Evanesance

For those of you who didnt catch that, I was being sarcastic.

Anyway, one of my favorite Goth Metal bands has got to be Darkseed, im surprised this hasnt been mentioned. I find them to be very underrated. Diving Into Darkness is my favorite album of which they've released.

If you're into the "Pop-Goth Metal" style, I suggest you look into: Elis. Very "Nightwish-ish". Im sure you'd also like Draconian & ForeverSlave, which are an awsome band from Spain.

Basically, when it comes down to it, bands like Nightwish are extremely easy to find nowadays, as that genre is flooded with bands that sound just like that, so im sure you'd have no trouble if you did a little research.

Ah, I forgot to mention NFD, which is considered "Goth Rock" But their latest album was a helluvalot more Metal than rock. If we get into that subject though, The Fields of the Nephilim are another great Goth band.
28.02.2007 - 20:37
SirHooke

Just checked them out...
Nice stuff, very nice, considering its a new band
01.03.2007 - 18:10
SirenOfTheStyx
Account deleted
I totally agree with you, TheReaper, I think the old Theatre of Tragedy , Sirenia and The Sins of thy beloved are perfect bands for what Cursed is searching.

If you're looking for something a bit like Nightwish, I think you should try Visions of Atlantis. It really reminded me of Nightwish (and also of the old Theatre of tragedy) when I heard it. I won't say it's a very inventive band, but they play nice stuff, with dreamy atmospheres like on Oceanborn.
01.03.2007 - 18:42
Pearle
Account deleted
I just wonder, why Theatre of Tragedy turned to plain electronic. They might have been unique, their early lyrics seemed to have been written by Shakespeare or Spencer, the vocal arranging was enchanting. "Storm" is a continuation of a pathetic experience, that was deservedly unwelcome.
01.03.2007 - 19:01
SirenOfTheStyx
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.03.2007 at 18:42

I just wonder, why Theatre of Tragedy turned to plain electronic. They might have been unique, their early lyrics seemed to have been written by Shakespeare or Spencer, the vocal arranging was enchanting. "Storm" is a continuation of a pathetic experience, that was deservedly unwelcome.

Liv Kristine left...
What I don't understand is why they kept the name theatre of tragedy. Velvet darkness they fear and Storm have absolutely nothing in common...
01.03.2007 - 20:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 01.03.2007 at 19:01

Written by Guest on 01.03.2007 at 18:42

Liv Kristine left...
What I don't understand is why they kept the name theatre of tragedy. Velvet darkness they fear and Storm have absolutely nothing in common...

Well whit Liv specely in early days it was more how Doom metal, more doomish, sound slow, poetical and romantic, obly gothic think there are Liv voice

About Nightwish I use to know one simmilar band when I remebe rname I post it here
----

apos;'
[image]
07.03.2007 - 15:54
Zeraphine
Lazy Bastard
good Gothic Metal is not that hard to find. first you have Tristania, which everyone has mentioned, i know, but they are my favourite gothic metal band so i had to mention them. everyone here recomends Beyond the Veil but i'd say try 'em all! they're totally worth it! then there's Trail Of Tears. their music is truly amazing and they are one of the few that still rock in the "Beauty and the Beast" scene. their newest album, Existencia, is breathe-taking. another great band is Avec Tristesse. you should definitely try their "How Innocence Dies" album. Fields of the Nephilim also amazed everyone with Mourning Sun. you could also try Penumbra! they're part of those few i mentioned earlier. older Sirenia is also quite amazing and of course there's Dreadful Shadows, my favourite band out of all the bands i listen to. they're actually a gothic metal/rock band but i think you'd find them quite good.
07.03.2007 - 17:23
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
What about Graveworm? are they true gothic metal too?
----
that which shines without names and forms...
07.03.2007 - 20:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Paganblood on 07.03.2007 at 17:23

What about Graveworm? are they true gothic metal too?

more melo black/gothic
----

apos;'
[image]
08.03.2007 - 08:18
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
@kariasakis7 thanks for the information.
----
that which shines without names and forms...