Metal Storm logo
Looking for gothic metal

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 24.01.2007 - 13:12
hi. i recently noticed how much i love nightwish-like moody/sad songs like ghost love score, epica-seyf ad din, the epica song with the terrorism spoken bit and theatre of tragedy-(that damn song with the edgar allen poe narration)
basically, that's what i'm looking for(bands, albums, etc). reccomend away!
13.03.2007 - 01:42
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
Hmm. I love Nightwish.. Maybe try Lacuna Coil? I guess...
24.03.2007 - 03:51
Demonic_Metal_Fr
Account deleted
Catwitch are a gothic/Metal band, they are really good, been arround for over 13 years.

http://www.myspace.com/catwitchx:necro:

I was amazed when i first hear there songs:metal:
24.03.2007 - 07:44
FrOsTmOuRnE 0_o
Account deleted
find eveything you need on myspace and MS
09.04.2007 - 20:38
Reverie
You can try Visions of Atlantis (I couldn't read all the messages, so... I hope someone didn't already said ...) It's not like "WAAAAAW!!! WHAT A BAAAAND!!! OMFG!!", but... it's not bad xP
----
In the corner beside my window...
There hangs a lonely photograph...

There is a wound that's always bleeding...
There is a road I'm always walking...
10.04.2007 - 00:55
Bitch Boy
@ Night_Wisher: VoA is a good recommendation, is like a "melodic Nigthwish metal" band, not that gothic, but very enjoyable, I think that Cursed would like it.
10.04.2007 - 00:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Reverie on 09.04.2007 at 20:38

You can try Visions of Atlantis (I couldn't read all the messages, so... I hope someone didn't already said ...) It's not like "WAAAAAW!!! WHAT A BAAAAND!!! OMFG!!", but... it's not bad xP

I use to lsiten this band well I prefere other band show them, ist good before you go sleep
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.04.2007 - 01:12
Bitch Boy
@ K7: new material is a little bit harder though, "At the back of beyond" somehow reminds me of After Forever.
11.04.2007 - 19:35
Reverie
Ah, wait a lil' second!! How no one said nothing about TRISTANIA? That's a FANTASTIC band... It's a pity that the female singer had gone... Her voice is better than Tarja Turunen, in my opinion.

World of Glass it's one of their bests CDs, I recommend it...
----

11.04.2007 - 20:04
Bitch Boy
@ Reverie... Tristania is obviously a very great one and, for sure, no one has forgotten them, but the thread creator was asking for specific recommendations, and Tristania isn't that similar to Nightwish or Epica. For sad/moody songs, I would rather recommend "Beyond the veil" or "Widow's Weeds".
12.04.2007 - 00:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Reverie on 11.04.2007 at 19:35

Ah, wait a lil' second!! How no one said nothing about TRISTANIA? That's a FANTASTIC band... It's a pity that the female singer had gone... Her voice is better than Tarja Turunen, in my opinion.

JAja in Argentian there was some good gothic band stoo, even i have no mp3 but I had in vanted list some good argentinian bands, but but seems Arghentianian sceen and info about bands are poor
----

apos;'
[image]
12.04.2007 - 04:06
Reverie
Mn, I understand... but anyway, if he doesn't know Tristania, he should try.

Written by Bad English on 12.04.2007 at 00:02

JAja in Argentian there was some good gothic band stoo, even i have no mp3 but I had in vanted list some good argentinian bands, but but seems Arghentianian sceen and info about bands are poor

Mn... from here? There are some good bands... Like Lord Divine... I don't know exactly in which genre does it goes, I don't remember very well what I listened... but I've never found too much from it...
----

12.04.2007 - 04:06
Reverie
Mn, I understand... but anyway, if he doesn't know Tristania, he should try.

Written by Bad English on 12.04.2007 at 00:02

Mn... from here? There are some good bands... Like Lord Divine... I don't know exactly in which genre does it goes, I don't remember very well what I listened... but I've never found too much from it...
----

12.04.2007 - 10:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Reverie... - I know OI had 2 rows of Argentinian band mp3, but ewery time when I wisit home page of bands of Argentina, Im bored of so slow speed there and some comercials so its bad side of it
----

apos;'
[image]
14.04.2007 - 20:39
Reverie
Written by Bad English on 12.04.2007 at 10:49

@Reverie... - I know OI had 2 rows of Argentinian band mp3, but ewery time when I wisit home page of bands of Argentina, Im bored of so slow speed there and some comercials so its bad side of it

Yup... that's a problem, too ._.

Hey, if you know good bands from here, please let me know... I'm always looking to outside my country and never realize if here there are things that are worthy of listening... Maybe it's because Spanish it's, in my opinion, not a good language for making songs... English is always better... But, there are some bands that I like in Spanish... unfortunately, they aren't exactly metal
----

14.04.2007 - 20:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Reverie on 14.04.2007 at 20:39

Written by Bad English on 12.04.2007 at 10:49

Yup... that's a problem, too ._.

Hey, if you know good bands from here, please let me know... I'm always looking to outside my country and never realize if here there are things that are worthy of listening... Maybe it's because Spanish it's, in my opinion, not a good language for making songs... English is always better... But, there are some bands that I like in Spanish... unfortunately, they aren't exactly metal

I send you bands by PM ok

Well ia bgree lil bit about spanish, well Rata Blance it sounds wierd in Spanish, but doom metal well since I dont know good spanish I cant tell how deep are lyrics but if its like poetry and philosophy ist good

Sorry Argentina are best in Football there but in music chile and Brazil are beter, specely CHILE!
----

apos;'
[image]
14.04.2007 - 21:37
Reverie
Yeah, Rata Blanca I know... it's a good band too... Their last CDs are best than the old ones, where the genre was... like other xDÛ

Well, if you say so... I don't know Brazilian and Chile metal bands... Ah, but I knew that in Chile wasa tribute to Opeth... ;_; Oh, how I wished to be nearer...
----

14.04.2007 - 23:28
Lupas
Maximus
Although Nightwish, Epica are not a gothic bands but symphonic metal bands with female singer. I can give you some more bands similair to them.
Visions of Atlantis.
Elis
Lunatica
Season's End ( male/female voices)
Tacere
Xandria
Delain
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
14.04.2007 - 23:49
Revenant
Account deleted
Some recomendations (band name - fav album - fav song, capital letters are unmissable)

Dark, tragic, atmospheric gothic metal:
TRISTANIA - Beyond the Veil - Angelore
Theatre of Tragedy - n/a - A DISTANCE THERE IS
The Sins of thy Beloved - Lake of Sorrow - Worthy of You
Draconian - The Burning Halo - Akheriousa

The Dutch scene is catchy and emotional, if not as dark as its Nordic counterpart:
Ambeon - Fate of a Dreamer - Dreamer
After Forever - n/a - Come
Witihn Temptation - Mother Earth (only good album) - Deciever of Fools

If it's the more symphonic, epic feel you seek (such as ghost love score), pure symphonic metal has it in greater abundance than gothic metal:
THERION - Secret of the Runes - Lemuria
Haggard - Awakening the Centuries - Awakening the Centuries
Angtoria - God Has a Plan for us All - I'm Calling
Lunatica - Fables and Dreams - Avalon
Xandria - India - Eversleeping
15.04.2007 - 03:41
WindMyth
Account deleted
Well Nightwish and Epica are not Gothic Metal...

But you can try:

- Tristania
- Trail of Tears
- Sirenia
- Theatre of Tragedy (As you already said)
- Elis
- The Sins of Thy Beloved

Good luck...
17.04.2007 - 15:24
CoffinSpirit
Account deleted
Well I have read most of the posts written and i totally freaked out with what some
have written for Gothic Metal bands...i would strongly sugggest these bands and some Cd's which i believe are a must...

Tristania---Widow's Weeds+Beyond The Veil
Theatre of Tragedy---All albums until Aegis
The Sins of Thy Beloved---Lake of Sorrow
Moonspell---Wolfheart+Antidote
Paradise Lost---Gothic+Draconian Times
Draconian---Arcane Rain Fell
Lacrimas Profundere---Memorandum
Sirenia---All until An Elixir For Existence
Tiamat---check the gothic metal period
Trail of Tears---all albums are great
The 3rd and the Mortal---Sorrow+Tears Laid in Earth(they are doom with gothic influences)
Type O'Negative---Bloody Kisses
Shape of Despair---Angel of Distress(know that they are funeral gothic doom very down tempo)
Elis
Lake of Tears

Xmmm i believe that these are Ok for beggining...and guyz

Nightwish
Epica
After Forever

ARE NOT GOTHIC METAL...Gothic Metal does not mean Female vocalists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
18.04.2007 - 08:24
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.04.2007 at 15:24

Xmmm i believe that these are Ok for beggining...and guyz

Nightwish
Epica
After Forever

ARE NOT GOTHIC METAL...Gothic Metal does not mean Female vocalists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah i agree,it's better to call Epica and After Forever atmospheric rock,and Nightwish is obviously power metal
21.04.2007 - 15:56
CoffinSpirit
Account deleted
It is a stupid misunderstanding with such bands being called Gothic...
It is true that bands like Nightwish,Epica and etc have a melancholic mood and that their
music is grievious but that doesnt make them gothic...And what makes me really mad is
the fact that every new band that has a female vocalist within the line up is automaticly called
gothic or atmoshairic...how stupid must be someone to judge the music style of a band with this way of thinking...i realy get on my nervers when i read or hear people saying"Nightwish are full of gothic elements"....

Anywayz i would say that Nightwish is Symphonic Power Metal as After Forever is...
21.04.2007 - 19:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 21.04.2007 at 15:56

It is true that bands like Nightwish,Epica and etc have a melancholic mood and that their
music is grievious but that doesnt make them gothic...And what makes me really mad is
the fact that every new band that has a female vocalist within the line up is automaticly called
gothic or atmoshairic...how stupid must be someone to judge the music style of a band with this way of thinking...i realy get on my nervers when i read or hear people saying"Nightwish are full of gothic elements"....

Anywayz i would say that Nightwish is Symphonic Power Metal as After Forever is...

I agree whit you man, is stupid, ok Nightwish mayne first album can be gothic but leither ... and seems nowdays ppl still dont know that gothic metal start bands whit male vocals like Systers of Mercy, Crematory, Type O Negative, Paradise Lost( :wal: ) ...
But Epica, Sirena, After Forever where are gothic elements ok it dont meens if singer chik has red lips, hopt legs, black eyes, dark black eyes and gothic dress its gothic metal

But I had hera Iron Maiden and Saxon ppl call power metal
----

apos;'
[image]
23.04.2007 - 04:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I just came across an Italian gothic metal band named Seduced by Suicide. I don't listen to goth very often, but I guess they sound similar to Type O Negative and Dreadful Shadows. You can view their myspace page here.
30.07.2008 - 17:16
FOOCK Nam
Written by Bad English on 21.04.2007 at 19:29

and seems nowdays ppl still dont know that gothic metal start bands whit male vocals like Systers of Mercy, Crematory, Type O Negative, Paradise Lost( :wal: ) ...

Can you give me more recommendations that similar to these 3 (I already knew them)? currently Im starve for gothic with male vocal.
30.07.2008 - 17:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by FOOCK Nam on 30.07.2008 at 17:16

Written by Bad English on 21.04.2007 at 19:29

and seems nowdays ppl still dont know that gothic metal start bands whit male vocals like Systers of Mercy, Crematory, Type O Negative, Paradise Lost( :wal: ) ...

Can you give me more recommendations that similar to these 3 (I already knew them)? currently Im starve for gothic with male vocal.

Alos Fields Of Nepfilim, when I be beck home I look at my PC and tell you more
----

apos;'
[image]
30.07.2008 - 17:40
FOOCK Nam
@Kariasakis7: I knew Fields Of Nephilim. But IMO they are more goth "rock" than "metal".
30.07.2008 - 17:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by FOOCK Nam on 30.07.2008 at 17:40

@Kariasakis7: I knew Fields Of Nephilim. But IMO they are more goth "rock" than "metal".

Thay are old school man thats important
----

apos;'
[image]
31.07.2008 - 18:21
VPeter
*sigh* I am getting tired of people labeling symphonic metal bands as Gothic metal bands, please stop it.
31.07.2008 - 18:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by VPeter on 31.07.2008 at 18:21

*sigh* I am getting tired of people labeling symphonic metal bands as Gothic metal bands, please stop it.

same like me when people mix melo death metal whit extreme power metal
----

apos;'
[image]