Metal Storm logo
Looking for gothic metal

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 24.01.2007 - 13:12
hi. i recently noticed how much i love nightwish-like moody/sad songs like ghost love score, epica-seyf ad din, the epica song with the terrorism spoken bit and theatre of tragedy-(that damn song with the edgar allen poe narration)
basically, that's what i'm looking for(bands, albums, etc). reccomend away!
10.09.2008 - 04:25
5.T.4.L.k.E.R

Try the following bands:

Tristania, After Forever, Leaves' Eyes, Sirenia, Within Temptation, Epica, Nighwish, Xandria, The Gathering, Echoes Of Eternity, The Sins of Thy Beloved, Theatre of Tragedy, Theatres des Vampires, Tiamat, Artifact, Visions of Atlantis, Elis, Dreams of Sanity, Lacrimosa, Angtoria, Edenbridge, For My Pain..., Imperia, Kamelot, Trail of Tears, Therion, Tarja Turunen, Stream of Passion, Necromantia

...well that should be enough for now
----
...enter by the Mystical Gates of Reincarnation
10.09.2008 - 09:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by 5.T.4.L.k.E.R on 10.09.2008 at 04:25

Try the following bands:

Tristania, After Forever, Leaves' Eyes, Sirenia, Within Temptation, Epica, Nighwish, Xandria, The Gathering, Echoes Of Eternity, The Sins of Thy Beloved, Theatre of Tragedy, Theatres des Vampires, Tiamat, Artifact, Visions of Atlantis, Elis, Dreams of Sanity, Lacrimosa, Angtoria, Edenbridge, For My Pain..., Imperia, Kamelot, Trail of Tears, Therion, Tarja Turunen, Stream of Passion, Necromantia

If you say its gothic I think you dont know much about some bands like Terion who start like death metal, same Tiamat , real gothic metal in list was Lacrimosa
You just mentioned all female froted bands what you know, even moust are some kind operatic metal whit prog elements
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.09.2008 - 02:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Jeez, how can you mention Nightwish as gothic metal when all they are in fact is power metal with operatic vocals?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.09.2008 - 06:27
Richard

I think that Paradise Lost - 'Gothic' is still the ultimate Gothic Metal album - and it's arguably the album which started the 'Gothic Metal' sub-genre. It was quite unique for its time, in the way it combined extreme Metal elements with orchestral elements and female vocals... Of course, loads of bands have done it since then, with the 'beauty and the beast' style death growls and female singing... But Paradise Lost's approach on that album had a certain amount of class, and didn't sound too 'sugary and sweet' by overdoing it. It was more about experimenting, a'la Celtic Frost, than trying to be romantic or commercial by making the melodic parts too blatant.
----
11.09.2008 - 08:32
marillionfan
Account deleted
I would like to recommend two albums from Dreadful Shadows - Estrangement (1994 if i remember right) and Buried Again (1996).

And also I forgot to mention Lake of Tears.

Another essential gothic album is Tiamat - Wildhoney (1994).
11.09.2008 - 10:28
5.T.4.L.k.E.R

Written by Bad English on 10.09.2008 at 09:58

If you say its gothic I think you dont know much about some bands like Terion who start like death metal, same Tiamat , real gothic metal in list was Lacrimosa
You just mentioned all female froted bands what you know, even moust are some kind operatic metal whit prog elements

My intentions were to list some bands with symphonic/melodic and gothic influences, and of course they have other metal elements in their music. And YES they are "female fronted bands" (except for Kamelot), because the original post mentioned Nightwish, Epica and Theatre of Tragedy! So I thought I'd list the female fronted bands that I know of symphonic/melodic and gothic influences. As far as I know, these bands fit the criteria...
----
...enter by the Mystical Gates of Reincarnation
11.09.2008 - 10:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by 5.T.4.L.k.E.R on 11.09.2008 at 10:28

Written by Bad English on 10.09.2008 at 09:58

My intentions were to list some bands with symphonic/melodic and gothic influences, and of course they have other metal elements in their music. And YES they are "female fronted bands", because the original post mentioned Nightwish, Epica and Theatre of Tragedy! So I thought I'd list the female fronted bands that I know of symphonic/melodic and gothic influences. As far as I know, these bands fit the criteria...

Read Richard's post

Man have you ever hear bands like Systers of Mercy, Fields of Nephilim, The Cure(who influenced a lit of ), also Type o Negative , generaly gothic metal can be whit male vocals, only rear gothic band whit female vocals I can think now is Battalio D' Amour frrom Poland, alos Luminaria(even use male vocals), Dis Pater( band say thay are romantic doom) but realy its gothic/doom metal
Read article here in MS what DerRozzengarden once written

Richard still PL for me is death/doom metal, first 5 albums specal for me,
----

apos;'
[image]
11.09.2008 - 14:32
Abattoir

I prefer more gothic metal bands with female vocals, like Flowing Tears, which is lately became one of mine favourite bands out of this genre. Also Delain is one of great bands in my opinion, but they have already some symphonic parts in their music, but still, good
combination.
11.09.2008 - 16:36
whyzdom

Oh, did you try Whyzdom ?

OK, I couldn't resist, since I just posted some news about the band in the news section ... But really, for people into symphonic (more than gothic, but Nightwish and Epica were mentioned) female fronted bands, well, it could do the trick
----
Vynce / Whyzdom
http://www.facebook.com/whyzdomproject
http://www.whyzdom.com
11.09.2008 - 23:00
Jagdgeschwader
Account deleted
Listen to Katatonia and old Moonspell.
11.09.2008 - 23:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Abattoir on 11.09.2008 at 14:32

I prefer more gothic metal bands with female vocals, like Flowing Tears, which is lately became one of mine favourite bands out of this genre. Also Delain is one of great bands in mine opinion, but they have already some symphonic parts in their music, but still, good
combination.

I agree 100% but Flowing tears n Withered Flowers only
There much diference for me in band whit old name how new name ,
----

apos;'
[image]
03.11.2008 - 03:09
Land Of Doom

If you Like Gothic and symphonic I Advice you to listen to After Forever And Tristania
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
03.11.2008 - 07:01
Ernis
狼獾
Written by 5.T.4.L.k.E.R on 10.09.2008 at 04:25

Try the following bands:

Let me do this for you.....After Forever, Within Temptation (except mayb for their early works), Epica, Nightwish, Visions Of Atlantis, Angtoria, Edenbridge, Kamelot, Therion, Tarja Turunen, Necromantia, Imperia ARE NOT GOTHIC METAL....for the love of God....
At the same time you forgot to mention groups such as Beseech, Flowing Tears, Lacuna Coil, Mandragora Scream, Christian Death and Fields Of The Nephilim which all can be classified as acts that have played or are playing in gothic style....

Once and for all....any kind of melodic metal is not gothic....any kind of female fronted band is not gothic...every female metal singer doesn't sing gothic....

Listen to "Bloody Love" by Gothic Sex and then come to mention female fronted symphonic metal as goth bands....period

Written by VPeter on 31.07.2008 at 18:21

*sigh* I am getting tired of people labeling symphonic metal bands as Gothic metal bands, please stop it.

Tell me about it....
24.11.2008 - 01:32
PrincessOfSecret
Account deleted
I recommend you to visit http://www.last.fm where you can find artists from many genres, you can listen to some of their songs or watch their videos. I list you some links for that page where you can find artists related to gothic:

gothic: http://www.last.fm/tag/gothic/artists
gothic metal: http://www.last.fm/tag/gothic%20metal/artists
gothic rock: http://www.last.fm/tag/gothic%20rock/artists
gothic doom: http://www.last.fm/tag/gothic%20doom%20metal/artists
etc.

You can also find relations between bands when you look at Similar Artists ot the page of any artist.;)

And one more thing:

I really don't know why people argue there about which band is gothic metal or not. It should be clear for everyone that most of bands mix the styles and no one can said to be 'clear gothic metal' or 'clear doom metal' or whatever. All of the bands mentioned earlier in this topic are gothic metal but all of them use this style in different amount and different combination with other styles. None of them are 'the clearest' gothic metal because it doesn't exist. I hope that it will be understood by everyone...:-X
24.11.2008 - 11:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 24.11.2008 at 01:32

Igothic doom: http://www.last.fm/tag/gothic%20doom%20metal/artists
etc.

Hmm interesting, but HIM, Slipk Not gothic/doom

Ther eno better place for finding gothic/doom how here

http://www.doom-metal.com/bandlist.php?g=11

Ok there miss 2 bands waht i know like Heaven Grey and Luminaria , but realy belive me that is much better whit info and so on
----

apos;'
[image]
24.11.2008 - 20:21
Ernis
狼獾
Sometimes my Windows Media Player classifies metal acts as "pop"...therefore I don't really put my faith in such systems....

Yeh, I also thought once that After Forever is symphonic GOTHIC.....while in fact there's almost nothing gothic bout their works at all.....

To get a grip bout the style and it's characteristics, just listen to "Gothic" by Paradise Lost....listen to Gothic Sex, Christian Death....Rozz will definitely suggest more bands since he's our goth master here in the first place....
Very decent gothic act are "Flowing Tears"....also try "Mandragora Scream"....Tristania, Theatre Of Tragedy's early works, especially "Aegis", Lacuna Coil....all of them have music where Gothic style is clearly traceable....Also try The Gathering...they, too, have made similar music to Lacuna Coil during their earlier era with Anneke....

Yes, it's clear that bands do mix styles and add a lot of their own characteristics but what should be important is that the gothic patterns have to be sensed in the music....they need to be apparent.....

I saw Fields Of The Nephilim at Tuska....they're classics of the genre....'twas really calm there because most of the people had ran away moshpitting for more popular groups....good for those who could calmly enjoy the simple performance of FOTN....
27.11.2008 - 03:49
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
There's a band called, Beyond the Veil that are pretty good.

EDIT... the band is called, The Veil. they have a nice female singer and I'm pretty picky when it comes to woman singers.
----
Coldgrits
28.11.2008 - 11:43
Ernis
狼獾
Written by -DC-002- on 27.11.2008 at 03:49

There's a band called, Beyond the Veil that are pretty good.

Haven't heard bout any band of that name but Tristania has a very strong symphonic gothic album called "Beyond the Veil".
04.12.2008 - 03:56
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Lacuna coil is gothic I think.

More of a hard rock band but w/e still pretty cool.
04.12.2008 - 05:53
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Another one is The Foreshadowing. The songs they have on Myspace are good. One song is called Eschaton and its pretty catchy.
----
Coldgrits
04.12.2008 - 07:15
Bleak
Account deleted
Draconian and Tristania
04.12.2008 - 12:51
sraekman

Draconian for sure,great lyrics great music...

If you ever saw me smile, you should know I felt sick inside
04.12.2008 - 13:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by sraekman on 04.12.2008 at 12:51

Draconian for sure,great lyrics great music...

I agree whit you about it, good band good lyrics, buts ist more gothic/doom how gothic and Im angre I miss band live
----

apos;'
[image]
04.12.2008 - 13:09
Bleak
Account deleted
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL to bad for you...
04.12.2008 - 20:39
Sandarameth
Account deleted
The best gothic metal bands are Draconian, Beseech and Virgin Black
10.12.2008 - 13:25
FOOCK Nam

The Foreshadowing is good gothic doom band, they seems to be veru underrated or been a new band to the scene.
11.12.2008 - 00:16
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by FOOCK Nam on 10.12.2008 at 13:25

The Foreshadowing is good gothic doom band, they seems to be veru underrated or been a new band to the scene.

Yeah not too much promotion until this year it seems, at least here in the US. I didn't realize the CD had been out since October 2007! But well worth the purchase - even though it's a 2007 disc, I consider it one of my favorites for 2008!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
11.12.2008 - 07:14
FOOCK Nam

Same as me, discovered them in this year. Yeah, it such a worth buying for me too.
19.10.2009 - 13:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
http://www.myspace.com/thirteencandles

Beseech meat Sisters of Mercy/Fields Of Nephilim
----

apos;'
[image]
23.10.2009 - 22:14
Warman
Erotic Stains
I guess you've already checked out Katatonia and some Moonspell. If you want "nightwish-like moody/sad songs" I think you should listen to Virgin Black. Great band with both female and male vocals.
----