Metal Storm logo
Law, prisons and legal systems

Original post

Posted by toxx, 16.05.2014 - 08:03
An interesting topic, indeed!

Here we can discuss the the differences in the laws, prisons and legal systems of the world. How is it where you live, and what effect does your system have on criminals? Positive or negative? And what is the worst punishment a criminal can get sentenced to in your country/state?
22.05.2014 - 08:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
What's the point in arguing with someone who focuses more on trying to insult the opposition rather than reach a shared understanding? "oxygen thief bleeding hearts" is good for nothing more than a laugh. You sound like a 4chan troll trying to "rustle jimmies" or whatever the internet saying is these days.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.05.2014 - 08:35
toxx
Supreme being
Written by deadone on 22.05.2014 at 07:59

But that's all MY CHOICE to be drunk and in the end also to be depressed.

And why should I expect the GOVERNMENT TO SOLVE MY PROBLEMS?

People need to learn to take responsibility for their lives.

Applause!!!! I agree to a certain point, that some people might need a bit of help from the government to get back on their feet. But in cases like yours, and people that are addicted to any kind of drug, they most likely chose to walk that path themselves. If they really want to get out of the mess they are in, they just do it.

In Oslo, Heroin is a huge problem. Some of the people there will most likely never get out, and never clean up. But who injected that first needle? I don't think anybody did it for them. They are generally left alone by the cops, since they rarely do anything wrong, apart from maybe stealing a bit of food from a grocery store. Drug politics in Norway is pretty crappy. Too easy to smuggle in, too easy to sell, too easy to get a hold of. It has been a proposal about having "needle rooms" where they can inject with clean needles. Also been a proposal about free and "safe" heroin in cvorrect dosage, to use in these needle rooms. would be good to get them off the streets, AND to decrease the amount of OD related deaths, which is also quite high here.
22.05.2014 - 08:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Well at least now we're being a little more civil. I didn't state your system was closed-minded, I suggested it based on one comment of yours that might have been misinterpreted. Of course I don't know how your system works, which is why I never claimed to.

But I get where you're coming from. Anyone and everyone who does anything you don't agree with to an extreme (pedophilia and the like) should be taken out back and lynched/shot/executed in whatever fashion you deem most appropriate. Personally I don't see it so black and white and take into account far more than simply judging a person's actions, but as I pointed out earlier, this is a fundamental difference between the two of us and our stances aren't about to change as a result of a little back-and-forth on a metal forum.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.05.2014 - 09:09
no one
Account deleted
Yeah there's no point in arguing with this dude...all i can do is laugh and hope we never meet in real life

i will just ask you deadone if you were really an alcoholic ? people can't just "behave well" willingly when there alcoholics like you claim you did. And they definitely can't just have a few wines like you say you do these days.
22.05.2014 - 09:46
no one
Account deleted
Judging by how passionate and aggressive you are with your posts (when no one is even attacking you), tells me that you may have some mental issues of your own that might need to be sorted, and probably say that you wouldn't be stable enough to make judgments on all the above topics anyway.

and hey, i know everything about alcoholics, and don't get me started on my sob storys
22.05.2014 - 10:36
no one
Account deleted
As i pointed out i was in a bad head space coming off the anti depressants in that whale thread, and at least i took some of your point of views on board and didn't make generalizations about you being a right wing wanker with no diversity AT ALL

And by the way your hard done by lifes story that you overcame is pretty standard (well with the people i grew up with anyway). I wouldn't use it as any justification as seeing through other peoples eyes
22.05.2014 - 11:00
toxx
Supreme being
Is there some bad blood between NZ and Australia or something?
22.05.2014 - 11:15
no one
Account deleted
Written by toxx on 22.05.2014 at 11:00

Is there some bad blood between NZ and Australia or something?

ha, it's usually Australians hating on neither Tasmanians or new zealanders, not tazies vs new zealanders. Australians think they are Americans and we are just savage islanders who are behind the times.
22.05.2014 - 15:03
toxx
Supreme being
Australia has a somewhat interesting history when it comes to prisons and criminals, don't they? After all, the English sent prisoners from England to Australia for almost a century. I read somewhere that when the transportation of criminals ended, almost 160 000 felons had been shipped over.
22.05.2014 - 21:36
no one
Account deleted
Written by toxx on 22.05.2014 at 15:03

Australia has a somewhat interesting history when it comes to prisons and criminals, don't they? After all, the English sent prisoners from England to Australia for almost a century. I read somewhere that when the transportation of criminals ended, almost 160 000 felons had been shipped over.

yeah a lot of history there, basically australians are a bunch of convicts
23.05.2014 - 03:13
no one
Account deleted
Everybody i know who moved to the aussie mainland (and there is A LOT of them) mainly in the trade and about four nurses, moved there because of the better wages and life style, or the mines.
I think people moving there for the unemployment benefits was a last generation thing , yet i don't know EVERYONE who has moved there.

...but anyway... "Law, prisons and legal systems"
23.05.2014 - 09:42
toxx
Supreme being
A guy that has been in jail since 1993 is being released in Norway this year. He has served for a murder, and several cases of rape. He was initially in prison for rape, and when released on parole in 93 he went to a bar, went home with a woman, then raped and strangled her to death. The first day! During his imprisonment, they have tried to move him to a low security prison island several times. The one I posted a pic from earlier. Every time he has broken the rules and assaulted other inmates, and then been moved back to a high security prison. The same prison as Breivik. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ila_Detention_and_Security_Prison

I think they should consider holding him for life. I'll bet that he will commit another violent crime within the first month of his release. Some people just cannot be released, for the sake of society. I think it's pretty messed up, but the law states that he has to be released when he has served his time. You can't get an extended sentence for what you do during your imprisonment, so the fact that he is a violent maniac doesn't change a thing.
27.05.2014 - 09:07
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 27.05.2014 at 08:44

Written by deadone on 23.05.2014 at 02:06

The New Zealand managers I've known have been alright but generally very indecisive and risk averse (this included one of our CEOs) as well as tendencies to micro manage. Apparently in New Zealand they hold a lot more personal responsibility which might promote a culture of risk aversion, micro management and indecisiveness. Or we've just got the dud ones.

Quoting myself for continuity.

2 of 3 CEOs of Tasmanian hospitals have just been formally accused of massive amounts of corruption and nepotism.

And both of them were imports from New Zealand.

It included jobs for family members, "consultancies" for New Zealand buddies, over generous allowances, awarding of contracts to Kiwi buddies without formal procurement procedures etc.

So given this and my other experiences of Kiwi managers, they are either corrupt or incompetent.

I have never come across a good manager from New Zealand and I've had experience with maybe half a dozen now!

managers of what
27.05.2014 - 09:49
no one
Account deleted
Fucked if i know, i wouldn't be surprised.

My old man has been a successful business manager for various timber and dairy factories for years, all while running/ making and selling subyway franchises at the same time... so that's one
03.07.2014 - 17:25
toxx
Supreme being
Written by toxx on 23.05.2014 at 09:42

A guy that has been in jail since 1993 is being released in Norway this year. He has served for a murder, and several cases of rape. He was initially in prison for rape, and when released on parole in 93 he went to a bar, went home with a woman, then raped and strangled her to death. The first day! During his imprisonment, they have tried to move him to a low security prison island several times. The one I posted a pic from earlier. Every time he has broken the rules and assaulted other inmates, and then been moved back to a high security prison. The same prison as Breivik. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ila_Detention_and_Security_Prison

I think they should consider holding him for life. I'll bet that he will commit another violent crime within the first month of his release. Some people just cannot be released, for the sake of society. I think it's pretty messed up, but the law states that he has to be released when he has served his time. You can't get an extended sentence for what you do during your imprisonment, so the fact that he is a violent maniac doesn't change a thing.

Sooo. The guy was released in the end of May. He is now back behind bars for four weeks, charged with a new case of rape. Good call releasing him!
03.07.2014 - 19:35
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by toxx on 03.07.2014 at 17:25

Sooo. The guy was released in the end of May. He is now back behind bars for four weeks, charged with a new case of rape. Good call releasing him!

Maybe he just really likes prison. A bit like Charlie Bronson. But Bronson used less violent means to get back in prison. I should watch that movie again. Ah, Tom Hardy...
03.07.2014 - 20:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Norway and Sweden are really...... Let's say naive when it comes to prison.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.07.2014 - 20:18
Slayer666
Much like some countries go way overboard when it comes to being "hard on crime", some others just to go in a completely opposite direction and end up with this sort of shit.
Rehabilitation and re-integration into society can only work on non-animals, that 21 years max prison sentence regardless of what you do is complete BS when it comes to people like that dude. Keep him in the slammer forever, not because it's "justice" or whatever, but simply to keep him from raping and/or killing others.
03.07.2014 - 22:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
----
08.07.2014 - 02:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
I was all fine with your comment until I read death penalty. I sincerely consider it stupid. But whatever.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.07.2014 - 02:13
Ilham
Giant robot
It's funny how younger kids these days seem to be more in favour of death penalty. I remember doing the mandatory debate classes in middle school and high school on that subject, and we always had a hard time finding someone to debate for it. So someone had to "mimic" being for death penalty so as to have some sort of debate.
Ten years later, in design school, our teacher thought it was funny to stage a debate on that subject to train us bullshit our future clients better. As I had been studying a few years before that, I was the oldest in my class at 23, and most were 18/19. We were only two debating against death penalty.
08.07.2014 - 02:22
Vombatus
Potorro
Some people proved repeatedly they aren't fit to live in "society". Death penalty is a simple way to have one less problem with these kind of individuals, cheaper/faster.
Of course it brings all sorts of moral dilemas and blablabla, so there's always an ambivalence (both sides have good points).
But people that don't have any type of moral, values or respect towards others shouldn't expect anything in return in that department so I wouldn't pity them if they get killed for crimes they commited.

I get quite irritated and mad when talking about prison systems ("western" type in particular), so I'll stop here
08.07.2014 - 03:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
I just don't see the point of it really. To me it doesn't have to do with any sort of emotion. I just find it useless bu then again, rehab can be just as useless.
I'm just glad I don't work with shit like that because I sincerely wouldn't know what to do with some dipshit maniac.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.07.2014 - 08:47
no one
Account deleted
So you want death penalty's for burglars petty thieves and drug dealers?

i'v known plenty of the people (apart from murderers) like you have mentioned and they have learnt and become good people in society. My uncle has been dealing meth and so forth all his life, but now he is a sober millionaire!....the moneys not from the drugs but successful businesses.

I think they could have harsher penalty's, but ya don't have to kill them off just ye

i do favor death penalty for people like ian watkins and serial killers and so forth, but it kind of seems like an easy escape. As i said in the shout box once, just tie them up and leave them there till there dead.
08.07.2014 - 09:50
no one
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 08.07.2014 at 09:16

I think it's funny how people assume burglary, drug dealing and petty theft are non-violent softer crimes when there is often violence involved.

well by themselves it's not worth a death penalty

Quote:

None of the one's I knew have "rehabilitated" to any degree at least whilst I knew them. Some got into ice which messed them up even more. And some I know hear through the courts!

beating people up in burglaries for no reason etc etc.

still don't think beating people up for no reason and burglaries are worth killing people for.
Again i think harsher punishments would be better than... basically exterminating a shit load of desperate people from neighborhoods living in poverty.
08.07.2014 - 16:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by deadone on 08.07.2014 at 09:16
Problem is bleeding hearts who protect the rights of violent offenders.

Because sometimes those violent offenders end up turning a corner and doing good with their lives. Apparently based on your experiences there is a 0% rehabilitation success rate, which is quite unfortunate since I'd probably estimate based on my experiences for it to be closer to 75%.
----
08.07.2014 - 16:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by deadone on 08.07.2014 at 04:57

5. Personally I think that these people need to be punished and what better punshiment than having one's life deprived especially if they deprived others of life or have purposefully hurt someone else.

Better punishment? I call it the easy and fast way out. Also,. when it comes to the most extreme individuals it wouldn't surprise me if most of those fuckers don't even care about dying, that would be salvation to them. Death penalty is useless for people who aren't afraid to die. It might help fsome people and their biblical sense of vengeance, whatever that's supposed to mean...

Might cost more money? Sure, but I rather have them locked up forever which wouldn't surprise me if most inmates consider it far worse.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.07.2014 - 16:50
Ilham
Giant robot
I want to throw a little culture in the mix.
I can't force anyone to read the books, so here are interesting wiki links talking about said books:

- Victor Hugo's novel telling the last moments of a man facing his execution.
- Albert Camus on death penalty.
- And Robert Badinter, responsible of the abolition of death penalty in France, for which he dedicated his life.
08.07.2014 - 18:34
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.07.2014 at 16:34

Better punishment? I call it the easy and fast way out. Also,. when it comes to the most extreme individuals it wouldn't surprise me if most of those fuckers don't even care about dying, that would be salvation to them. Death penalty is useless for people who aren't afraid to die. It might help fsome people and their biblical sense of vengeance, whatever that's supposed to mean...

Might cost more money? Sure, but I rather have them locked up forever which wouldn't surprise me if most inmates consider it far worse.

Agree. For me death penalty is only a fast way to make sure some poor bastard ceases to be a threat, but in most cases it is not a proper chastisement for what they deserve.

Life sentence in hideous conditions so he withers and rots until he dies would be much better. And it would cost less so everyones happy !! (hmmm I think they should generaly make prisons "horrible" places, so it takes down the budget and fit better the purpose given to them).
08.07.2014 - 21:42
no one
Account deleted
^ totally agree to both posts