Metal Storm logo
Behemoth - Detained In Russia, Ordered To Leave (Update)

There are new developments today about Behemoth's detention in Russia. The band has been fined and ordered to leave Russia. "It seemed like we actually got a really nice judge. And wise, because this was a humane decision... it felt like she sympathised with us," Darski told the Polish TV channel Polsat News. You can expect more comments from the band on this situation as soon as they land safely in Poland.

Pic taken by band members

"We actually received the minimal fine with a recommendation for how to leave Russia as quickly as possible."

The band were able to play four out of 13 of their scheduled concerts in Russia. "Now we want to get some rest after a sleepless night and return home as quickly as possible," he said.

Courtesy of Znak.com

In a brief interview conducted with frontman Nergal, he described the conditions they were kept: "It was a very small room on a half meter. On the walls were smeared with feces. At night, we asked [to be] taken to the toilet, but we were somehow denied. Had to go in plastic bottles."

Regarding authorities' claims of improper visa, Nergal said: "We have received a visa at the Russian consulate in Warsaw. When we asked how [to prepare] the paperwork, we were told that it was necessary to make a business visa. We did everything we were told. Now it turned out that it was necessary to do some 'humanitarian' visa, not a business."

Original news: According to a post on Behemoth's Facebook page, the band's Russian tour has come to a halt. The Polish death metallers have been touring in Russia since May 10th and today reportedly they were stopped and detained by Russian immigration services. Behemoth were supposed to play in Yekaterinburg tonight.

First message posted (translated from Polish): "We've been stopped by the immigration services for 'wrong visas'. When I said that we will not move an inch from the club without someone from the Polish embassy, they threatened to force us out. They took us in a bus, accompanied by 10 officers, to the building of Federal Migration Service. We tried to reach the Polish embassy in Jekaterinburg but no one is answering the phone. If possible - please copy this message and pass it everywhere you can. We may expect a multihour hearing. The concert is off for sure. The only thing we want is to get back to the hotel safely and then - to Poland. No matter how hard we try - we cannot pass it all. Regards. Nergal."

Nergal has issued the following update (translated from Polish): "Looks like it's going to be a normal arrest. They'll take our phones soon. At 9am we'll have a court case, then a judgement and maybe a deportation."

You can probably expect further updates on this. The band's Russian Satanist tour happens in support of their recent The Satanist full-length album.

[Thanks to dark_mar and Bad English for the tip!]

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Behemoth
Posted: 22.05.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 45   Visited by: 492 users
22.05.2014 - 00:12
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
That really sucks, hopefully they make it out okay.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
22.05.2014 - 00:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Goddamn Commie bastards.

/not serious
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.05.2014 - 00:51
SSM
Massacred
Useless, barren borders and governments everywhere.

"Russian Satanist tour..." a kind of strange name in a funny way.
22.05.2014 - 01:24
LoL, seems they are not that top after all.
22.05.2014 - 01:34
Spacerunner
They had real problems with Russian Orthodox Church in this tour. I bet it's their work. In Russia church is closely related to government.
22.05.2014 - 02:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have told manytime Russia and specialy Russian govemnet politics is shithole...I sugest pl dont visit that country at all an ignore FIFA 2018
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.05.2014 - 02:35
Ocean Sage
I really hope they are alright and that everything gets sorted out. Immigration and border policies are insane. My best wishes.
22.05.2014 - 03:09
Reverend X
How did they get a wrong visa? Haven't they noticed that they have a problem with their visas? If their papers were in order who would have framed them?

I might agree with Spacerunner. There must be a conspiracy here.
22.05.2014 - 03:35
ScottyM
Russia is known for its ultra-conservative views, and the loudest majority of them are religious. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was motivated by religion/politics.
22.05.2014 - 04:50
Ritual_Suicide
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2014 at 00:36

Goddamn Fascist bastards.

I'm serious

I fixed that for ya.
22.05.2014 - 06:09
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Damn, visa issues have been fucking up a lot of band's tours lately (Negura Bunget and Sepultura as well). Seems like this is becoming the hawt new trend within out beloved genre
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
22.05.2014 - 06:19
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Maybe someone thought Behemoth were gay propaganda?

Written by deadone on 22.05.2014 at 03:44

Russia has the following visas:

?Tourist Visa
?Business Visa
?Visitor's Visa
?Student Visa
?Transit Visa
?Cruise Passengers

What's a visitor's visa? aren't all the other's visitors anyway.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
22.05.2014 - 06:48
D.T. Metal
Staff
Written by deadone on 22.05.2014 at 06:24

And if they can't afford a tour manager, well maybe they should stop spending their time being stoned/high "rock stars" and do some research themselves as opposed to going to some country without a clue and then getting in trouble.

And I can assure you that all the right stuff was done for Behemoth. This was not the first time they toured there and they have been in Russia for 10 days already. They would have not let them into the country if they would have had the wrong visa since they all traveled together and it is kinda obvious that they travel as a band and not as tourists.
9 out of 10 times it's the orthodox church who has their fingers in government issues who started this witch hunt.
22.05.2014 - 07:13
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by D.T. Metal on 22.05.2014 at 06:48

9 out of 10 times it's the orthodox church who has their fingers in government issues who started this witch hunt.

You're probably right that there is some definite religious/political motive behind this move. Behemoth are well known for their controversial image, and it's given them quite a few legal issues in the past. On the other hand though, I think that the band should exert at least some degree of caution with how strong a religious influence there is in the places that they plan to tour. Quite simply, if you step too far into the lion's den, you're only putting yourself at risk, and in places that don't have much of a fine line between church and state, the former can be can quite the lion indeed.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
22.05.2014 - 07:20
D.T. Metal
Staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 22.05.2014 at 07:13

Quite simply, if you step too far into the lion's den, you're only putting yourself at risk, and in places that don't have much of a fine line between church and state, the former can be can quite the lion indeed.

Dude, they are in the lion's den when they play at home. LOL Poland is just about the same with the church having their fingers in everything government. Behemoth is a pretty big thing overseas, way bigger than here in the states. It's a dick move by whoever started it and I saw a video with their booking agent over there, flabbergasted by the events as well. Well, here in a couple hours they will go to court and then we will find out what the hell the Russians plan on doing.
22.05.2014 - 10:17
Leni
I think, it's our ortodox activists' work. they are vultures who have much authority. And we have "particular" relationship with Poland for a long time, it's politics) So, visas are just pretense. Behemoth was watched since they had entered Russia.
22.05.2014 - 11:09
Paz
Elite
Written by Leni on 22.05.2014 at 10:17

And we have "particular" relationship with Poland for a long time

Time to boycott some Russian bands here, then
22.05.2014 - 11:13
ikbrain
It is so sad to read about that, especially since I am russian.
Knowing russian justice system, the problem is most likely not with the concert manager, but with the fucked-up russian legal system. Laws here are basically made so that anyone could be made guilty of something at any time. You make the buisness visa - "fuck you, you're visiting, we're deporting you", you make the visitor's visa - "fuck you, you're playing concerts, that's business, we're deporting you". Reasons why this exact thing is happening may be extremely wide: from church officials requests to even some overinitiative immigration service official, who as he thinks found a great way to get a promotion. Together with all this conservatism and religious bullshit (you wouldn't believe what kind of insanity is happening here, in 2014, in a country that is sending sattelites to orbit, seriously) we get things like that.
What I am trying to say - don't hate on russians, there are actually nice, progressivly thinking people here. Among religious fanatics, corrupt officials, stupid, crazy, homophobes, US-haters and etc.
22.05.2014 - 11:50
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Oh, Russia, you make everyone love you more and more...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
22.05.2014 - 12:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Reverend X on 22.05.2014 at 03:09

How did they get a wrong visa? Haven't they noticed that they have a problem with their visas? If their papers were in order who would have framed them?

I might agree with Spacerunner. There must be a conspiracy here.

not wromg visa its satanist think, political think ... read what rus do last few months .... like shut diown GPS, suggest band facebook (as islam states) and try contol ppl mind, all west are evil and this band are saanist., Rusare pround whit orthoxos ideas . so ..... its whole political think
----

apos;'
[image]
22.05.2014 - 12:47
MikeVonDoom
As usual, Russian authorities acting like mafia!!
22.05.2014 - 13:56
Leni
Written by Paz on 22.05.2014 at 11:09

And we have "particular" relationship with Poland for a long time

Time to boycott some Russian bands here, then

well, you could, if we had something metal here)))))
22.05.2014 - 14:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by D.T. Metal on 22.05.2014 at 07:20

Written by Auntie Sahar on 22.05.2014 at 07:13

Quite simply, if you step too far into the lion's den, you're only putting yourself at risk, and in places that don't have much of a fine line between church and state, the former can be can quite the lion indeed.

Dude, they are in the lion's den when they play at home. LOL Poland is just about the same with the church having their fingers in everything government. Behemoth is a pretty big thing overseas, way bigger than here in the states. It's a dick move by whoever started it and I saw a video with their booking agent over there, flabbergasted by the events as well. Well, here in a couple hours they will go to court and then we will find out what the hell the Russians plan on doing.

but in Pol are laws and democracy .. I doubt pussy riot ever be sentenced in Poland... since its in EU and there must work some kind a laws and rules.... Rus now its political think, its building pre cold war atmosfere and soon soon might be new cold war ... 100% politica, religuse move there
----

apos;'
[image]
22.05.2014 - 16:04
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite

We have "particular" relationship with Poland for a long time, it's politics) So, visas are just pretense. Behemoth was watched since they had entered Russia.

Good lord, here's hoping they don't turn into political prisoners!
----

~ II. VII
22.05.2014 - 17:07
s_t_s
Written by K✞ulu on 22.05.2014 at 11:50

Oh, Russia, you make everyone love you more and more...

The only words I can also think or maybe add "Russia the great country of freedom of speech" ?

If Poutine reads this they will come knock at my door soon !
22.05.2014 - 18:28
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
It's all clearly the result of the Russian Orthodox Church getting involved there. Religious activists made them cancel some shows there after all. It's a great pity. I was really looking forward to seeing them live. Now I just hope they'll be able to get home safely.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
22.05.2014 - 19:53
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Bad English on 22.05.2014 at 14:07

but in Pol are laws and democracy .. I doubt pussy riot ever be sentenced in Poland... since its in EU and there must work some kind a laws and rules.... Rus now its political think, its building pre cold war atmosfere and soon soon might be new cold war ... 100% politica, religuse move there

Riot would've been arrested simply because, both in Russia and in Poland, they would have been sentenced for outrage and destruction of private goods. They were as stupid as they could be because they chose to organize their protest in a church that was rented by Russian Orthodox Church from the Russian Government. Not to mentioned that they were paroled several times before for other kind of deeds, raging from taking illegal platforms of protest, up until obstruction of police. They deserved those 2 years and I think they Russian justice system was lennient (a man would've gotten at least 5 years for this in Russia).

Also, you should look at what their ideologies are. Most of the members of Pussy Riot are crazed feminists with a Trotkist view of anarcho-comunism. So, some of you blamed them for being commies/fascists, but nobody blamed these girls for embracing extreme ideologies. When they were presented in the EU Parliament it made me sick.

I am not a Russian fan, but I have to agree with them regarding this issue with Pussy Riot, but nor regarding Behemoth. As somebody else said, if there was something wrong with the visa, it would've been noticed at border, not 10 days after they entered. It was clearly a move orchestrated by someone that does not really like them. It may be the Russian Orthodox Church, but it might also be some MPs that share much of the anti-western views. Especially now because Polish-Russian foreign relations are cold.
22.05.2014 - 20:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Yes true but Pussy is anti putin and all such shit what is there and in Pol you cant be arested because you say something about Roland Tusk ... not such political case, but ore ordinary case for smahing properthy and so on .... I agree destroying proprethy is a CRIME no metter nazie, anti fa, red, black or white
Pussy is diferenbt story .

but this band ha snathics and they ahve been in trial in Poland as well, but Rus ortoodox church patriarh Kyril is frien whit Putin and his regime supporter... Rus banned Sabbaton (IMO) for WWII song singing where ''they glorify nazie'' and last year events in Rus this arest might be political
anti homosexual law
some kind slavic perfect family ideas
putin taking over coubrol
Crimea shit
shut down GPS support sythem
wanna ban facebook
eurovision ''scandal''
new fight aganst western ideas
pro ussr idialogy reborn

so all events in last year ... it can suggest it might be not only visa isue ... maybe deeper, since this band antics
----

apos;'
[image]
22.05.2014 - 20:19
PocketMetal
"Detained in Russia" sounds like a great name for their next album. Can't wait.
22.05.2014 - 21:12
Unhealer
Eclecticist
It is too much of a coincidence that Nergal's moustache in the first pic makes up for a Varg resemblance.

Hits total: 7570 | This month: 13