Metal Storm logo
Opeth - Unveil New Album Cover Art

Opeth have finally revealed today the album artwork of Pale Communion, their anticipated new release. It was once again created by Travis Smith with art direction by Mikael Åkerfeldt. The album was pushed back to August 26th and the pre-orders will be up on Roadrunner's web store and on Opeth's official merch store next week, June 3rd. As of now, you can take a look at the album cover right here. Do you like it?

Tracklist:

01. Eternal Rains Will Come
02. Cusp Of Eternity
03. Moon Above, Sun Below
04. Elysian Woes
05. Goblin
06. River
07. Voice Of Treason
08. Faith in Others

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 27.05.2014 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 72   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 661 users
28.05.2014 - 00:12
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
It instantly made me think of the most famous 'picture hanging on a wall' album cover of all time - Led Zeppelin's fourth album. I know this one has three pictures instead of one, and an engraved gold plaque underneath, but there is a resemblance in style. I actually don't mind this cover.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
28.05.2014 - 00:16
mz
Written by b0sse on 27.05.2014 at 22:47

Opeth; most overrated band of all time.

let me introduce you to wintersun and ensiferum.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
28.05.2014 - 00:33
Rapid Fire
I don't care a f**ck the cover while the music is good... Hope this new album crushes Heritage, this not being a difficult aim though.

Anyway, the cover is not bad, but the light effect ruins it a little
----
Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
28.05.2014 - 00:57
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Mikael should stop using this artist for his albums. It's kind of a cool concept, but it looks sorta crap as an album cover. I miss when the art was actually pretty cool looking, like with Still Life, Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, or Watershed.

Doesn't matter though. What's mainly important about the album is what it sounds like. If it ends up being good, I guess I won't be giving much a shit about whether or not the album art is good.
----
28.05.2014 - 01:12
Zadion
... I was surprised to see all the comments trashing the cover. o_o

Not only do I think it's awesome, but it's also waaaaay better than Heritage's album cover... which WAS shitty. The idea of the band members heads as fruit utterly DESTROYED what would have been a good cover.

Anyway, I still think the album is likely to suck if it's like Heritage.
28.05.2014 - 01:21
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^On that day Karlabos noticed that the fruits on Heritage's cover are the heads of the band members
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
28.05.2014 - 01:31
Urizen367
Hm. well. that's not very intriguing actually. i'm not liking this new direction they've been going in.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
28.05.2014 - 02:40
Mattybu
Written by Ace Frawley on 28.05.2014 at 00:12

It instantly made me think of the most famous 'picture hanging on a wall' album cover of all time - Led Zeppelin's fourth album. I know this one has three pictures instead of one, and an engraved gold plaque underneath, but there is a resemblance in style. I actually don't mind this cover.

The Zeppelin one is at a whole different level, though. Oddly enough I didn't draw that connection but I can see where you are coming from for sure.
28.05.2014 - 02:58
Diverge
Written by Zadion on 28.05.2014 at 01:12

... I was surprised to see all the comments trashing the cover. o_o

Not only do I think it's awesome, but it's also waaaaay better than Heritage's album cover... which WAS shitty. The idea of the band members heads as fruit utterly DESTROYED what would have been a good cover.

Anyway, I still think the album is likely to suck if it's like Heritage.

I totally agree with your comment here.
28.05.2014 - 03:24
Love, love, love everything about it.
28.05.2014 - 03:25
Sang Dalang Abu
Wherever you go I follow.
I'm still can't wait
28.05.2014 - 03:32
Korah
Did Opeth became (as this cover shows it) a museum that we can only contemplate, thinking about the past. I truly hope it is not the case.
----
Don't cry for my English
28.05.2014 - 05:48
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Am I the only one who noticed that June 3rd is not Friday, but rather Tuesday? I wonder, if it's a simple mistake or Roadrunner tries to put the album in the veil of mysteriousness.
As for the cover... I rather like it. Now it will depend on how good does it fit the music.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
28.05.2014 - 05:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Agree with some of the comments above...The pictures hanging on the wall look nice enough, its the damn lighting effect that makes this look like something slapped together in Microsoft office.

Jesus. I hope the album is at least interesting this time.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.05.2014 - 05:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New track. I think it's legit, and it's really quite good if you ask me.

28.05.2014 - 06:10
Desert Father
^ yeah baybuh.

I reckon keep the paintings and scrap the rest, then it'd look pretty cool.
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
28.05.2014 - 07:02
3rdWorld
China was a neat
^That track is better than Heritage but still keep wondering why Opeth has ended up writing stuff like this.
28.05.2014 - 07:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by 3rdWorld on 28.05.2014 at 07:02
...still keep wondering why Opeth has ended up writing stuff like this.

You must not read up on the latest Opeth news. Akerfeldt has stated numerous times the reason for the direction they've taken.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.05.2014 - 08:35
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.05.2014 at 07:15

You must not read up on the latest Opeth news. Akerfeldt has stated numerous times the reason for the direction they've taken.

True. I have stopped following opeth news but just checked out the track to know how their sound has become after Heritage. The only latest news I've read about them is when he said that if Heritage resmebled 70'd prog rock this one would is be in the style of 80's hard rock. And since they've announced this won't contain no harsh vocals, I lost interest to read their interviews to further hear their justifications for the change and will just check out record when it's out.
28.05.2014 - 09:14
Reaper_Redeemer
Travis Smith quality
28.05.2014 - 11:21
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I prefer the other album art, that one in the church
28.05.2014 - 13:43
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Damn, that's quite badly done. Heritage had nice artwork, this one, not so much. I don't know what they were thinking. Maybe they're just trolling people. Everyone went ape shit with the last album and most people are probably going to hate the art on this one.

As someone said earlier, they should have just used one of the illustrations inside the frame as the full artwork. The one on the right looks pretty cool actually
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
28.05.2014 - 14:33
R Lewis
Don't see why this one is getting so much hatred. I love everything about it: the concept, the paintings and also the pretty unnatural color scheme and light.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
28.05.2014 - 18:18
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
So many bleeding pussies on this thread
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
28.05.2014 - 18:34
Orangutoad
Low-life douche
Even though Opeth is one of my favorite bands (well, they used to be)...I have to say that this album cover is very boring, and so is that new track. Very disappointing. I guess they have given up being a great prog metal metal band to be a mediocre prog rock band. What a shame.
28.05.2014 - 20:22
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgfeQJUOAMs
this is the new adress of opeth song
28.05.2014 - 20:25
b0sse
Written by mz on 28.05.2014 at 00:16

Written by b0sse on 27.05.2014 at 22:47

Opeth; most overrated band of all time.

let me introduce you to wintersun and ensiferum.

Yeah, those too. So overrated.
28.05.2014 - 20:58
seafood
Written by 3rdWorld on 28.05.2014 at 08:35

...if Heritage resmebled 70'd prog rock this one would is be in the style of 80's hard rock.

Now I only hope they will continue this way, with the next album sounding like 90s death metal. I've almost given up all hope on this one after hearing the leaked track.
28.05.2014 - 21:36
Opethian
Love Opeth. I just want something to be proud of. I think I've listened to Heritage like 3 times since its release As for the Art work its irrelevant.
28.05.2014 - 21:38
Opethian
Written by Auntie Sahar on 28.05.2014 at 18:18

So many bleeding pussies on this thread

They have nothing better to do. Just dont mention news of a Wintersun album around here hahaha

Hits total: 6537 | This month: 14