Metal Storm logo
Post-Punk Revival

01.06.2014 - 19:17
Ilham
Giant robot
Oi oi.

Our dear jupitreas is gone, and as he isn't here to bitch about it, I'm going to take this opportunity to open a topic about Post-Punk Revival. The aforementioned MS member opened my eyes to Post-Punk, as the very depressing original '80s genre to which bands like Joy Division, Echo & The Bunnymen, etc, belong to. I still thank him for that. I'll never talk about it as well as he does, so here's a link to an article of his, explaining what the original Post-Punk is all about.

Since the early '00s, a new generation of artists took some of the heritage left by those immense bands, and went on to make music that was later on labeled as "Post-Punk Revival". Unfortunately, this term also became widely misused, and the mere pronouncing of the term in a student party will attract dozens of hipsters like moths to a light bulb.

I enjoy a good number of different bands, but I want to see what names you guys are going to bring up. I will shut up, and leave room for you to discuss. All recommendations and opinions are welcome. I will leave you with a link from my favourite PPR band, White Lies, from their newest album, that falls very close their Post-Punk roots, with a very welcome added poppiness. This might be the most commercial track of the release, but it is somewhat representative enough of what they do. The album this song is from, is in my opinion, the best 2013 release, Metal and non-Metal included.

02.06.2014 - 01:07
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I've seen it slightly. Don't get into the genre too much apart from being a huge Joy Division and Psychedelic Furs fan. Should look into it more as I see more and more albums popping up.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.06.2014 - 23:20
Uldreth

Written by Ilham on 01.06.2014 at 19:17

Oi oi.

Our dear jupitreas is gone

WHAT?!

Anyways I am not sure about this one as I have seen it being called post-punk revival multiple times, I don't find it any similiar to The Cure and the likes but I really dig this album:

I think it's a quite popular band though.
03.06.2014 - 01:00
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Uldreth on 02.06.2014 at 23:20

Anyways I am not sure about this one as I have seen it being called post-punk revival multiple times, I don't find it any similiar to The Cure and the likes but I really dig this album:
I think it's a quite popular band though.

Gone as in "doesn't come here often anymore". Christ, I'd be devastated if he died.

Yeah Bloc Party is huge. They're internationally famous. I discovered them when their first single (Banquet) came out in 2004. The single was later released in this album. I have been a fan since then. Have you tried "Weekend In The City" and "Intimacy"?

Anyway, I wouldn't say they are PPR, but there are definite The Cure, Siouxsie And The Banshees [etc] influences in their music. But they do not have those low haunting vocals, heavy bass, and mellow synths you can find in the usual PPR. The guitars are too energetic and fast, the vocals are high and sometimes even yelled. My say is just Indie Rock. I know it's a very vague label, but couldn't come up with better. But it doesn't make me like them less, of course .

Can I interest you in actual PPR? It should be something you could like, since you seem to be keen on Bloc Party. They're called Editors, and they released a very beautiful, but quite depressing, first full length album in 2007. jupitreas actually introduced me to both White Lies and Editors, back then.

You're in luck, the first song on the album is one of the best, you'll get a good idea right away.

04.06.2014 - 19:14
Uldreth

Written by Ilham on 03.06.2014 at 01:00

Gone as in "doesn't come here often anymore". Christ, I'd be devastated if he died.

I meant to imply he left the forum, not death lol .
Quote:

Yeah Bloc Party is huge. They're internationally famous. I discovered them when their first single (Banquet) came out in 2004. The single was later released in this album. I have been a fan since then. Have you tried "Weekend In The City" and "Intimacy"?

Naaah I only really know Silent Alarm. But I heard they switched styles after?
Quote:

Anyway, I wouldn't say they are PPR, but there are definite The Cure, Siouxsie And The Banshees [etc] influences in their music. But they do not have those low haunting vocals, heavy bass, and mellow synths you can find in the usual PPR. The guitars are too energetic and fast, the vocals are high and sometimes even yelled. My say is just Indie Rock. I know it's a very vague label, but couldn't come up with better. But it doesn't make me like them less, of course .

Can I interest you in actual PPR? It should be something you could like, since you seem to be keen on Bloc Party. They're called Editors, and they released a very beautiful, but quite depressing, first full length album in 2007. jupitreas actually introduced me to both White Lies and Editors, back then.

You're in luck, the first song on the album is one of the best, you'll get a good idea right away.

I have seen this album and another of theirs often in a local store, been thinking about getting to know the band. Listening into the album you linked now, so far sounds gorgeous. I like the title track the most though as it feels the most energetic.

I am definitely having an interest in both post-punk revival and these atmospheric indie rock/math rock bands that are often similiar.
04.06.2014 - 21:09
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I admit I am mostly unfamiliar with the genre. Vaura's latest release might be something you all should check out.
----
rekt
05.06.2014 - 01:41
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by tea[m]ster on 04.06.2014 at 21:09

I admit I am mostly unfamiliar with the genre. Vaura's latest release might be something you all should check out.

I listen to two tracks by Vaura. I understand why you might talk about them here. I guess the vocals are somewhat "Post-Punky". But it's too progressive, a tiny bit too metal, to be listened to when I am in mood for some PPR.
05.06.2014 - 15:41
Uldreth

This band is just getting better and better as I listen o.O .
05.06.2014 - 15:50
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Uldreth on 05.06.2014 at 15:41

This band is just getting better and better as I listen o.O .

Aaaaaah! I see you went further! I'm very happy about that . I absolutely love Editors. I'll look into my files and see if I can bring up other similar acts.
By the way, White Lies, I don't remember reading if you said you liked it or not. I can direct you to other songs by them if you didn't like that link. Songs that sound more like Editors.
05.06.2014 - 16:13
Uldreth

Written by Ilham on 05.06.2014 at 15:50

Aaaaaah! I see you went further! I'm very happy about that . I absolutely love Editors. I'll look into my files and see if I can bring up other similar acts.
By the way, White Lies, I don't remember reading if you said you liked it or not. I can direct you to other songs by them if you didn't like that link. Songs that sound more like Editors.

I listened to the song you linked and I liked it.

Basically, I really like this stuff when it has that driving beat. Editors' An End Has A Start had lots of stuff that was just straight up slow and melancholic. I don't mind that either but when it comes to this music I kinda like it that it is almost dance-able. Like f. ex. The Cure's Seventeen Seconds is an album I listened to quite a lot and what I like about it is that those tracks like Secrets or A Forest is misty, dark and brooding, but still has that upbeat driving rhythm behind them.

So anything that sounds like "Munich", "Blood" or the title track from An End Has A Start from Editors is much welcome .

I should probably also check out Interpol and Franz Ferdinand.

Btw do you also like this poppier/accessible kind of math rock like Foals or Minus The Bear that does bear some similiarities to this?
05.06.2014 - 20:17
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Uldreth on 05.06.2014 at 16:13

I listened to the song you linked and I liked it.

Basically, I really like this stuff when it has that driving beat. Editors' An End Has A Start had lots of stuff that was just straight up slow and melancholic. I don't mind that either but when it comes to this music I kinda like it that it is almost dance-able. Like f. ex. The Cure's Seventeen Seconds is an album I listened to quite a lot and what I like about it is that those tracks like Secrets or A Forest is misty, dark and brooding, but still has that upbeat driving rhythm behind them.

So anything that sounds like "Munich", "Blood" or the title track from An End Has A Start from Editors is much welcome .

I should probably also check out Interpol and Franz Ferdinand.

Btw do you also like this poppier/accessible kind of math rock like Foals or Minus The Bear that does bear some similiarities to this?

Okay okay. I see!

Give some time for the second song to build up. But otherwise, even if some White Lies songs can be very poppy, it will never go as fast as you like it :p.
I like that Cure album too, by the way. The Killers is a band that you must know, and fit what you seem to like. I would also mention Kings Of Leon, and Kasabian. Although the three of them don't fit the PPR label.

jupitreas would cringe at the sight of Interpol being mentioned here. But I love their two first albums. Same story as for Bloc Party, caught them just as they were releasing their first single. Here's something that you should like.

You must know all the singles by Franz Ferdinand though, they're so popular, they play on the radio/tv etc. I hear them outside all the time. But I would advise you to listen to their first album. Eponymous album. Same story again .

2001 was when I a cybercafé opened in my street, and got an illegal british satellite hookup to MTV and MTV2 (it was indie/rock/metal oriented at that time and played some very good new stuff). That's probably why I know so many of bands that never plummeted in France and elsewhere at that time. But I went on and started listening to metal and missed everything after 2005.

That's why I only know a couple songs from Foal. They have that very catchy tune that was used in commercials and stuff. I know Minus The Bear, but only because a bartender friend was obsessed by one of their songs and annoyed us with it . I have never got into the genre. But do help me. I like what I know.
07.06.2014 - 12:19
Uldreth

Written by Ilham on 05.06.2014 at 20:17

Okay okay. I see!

Give some time for the second song to build up. But otherwise, even if some White Lies songs can be very poppy, it will never go as fast as you like it :p.
I like that Cure album too, by the way. The Killers is a band that you must know, and fit what you seem to like. I would also mention Kings Of Leon, and Kasabian. Although the three of them don't fit the PPR label.

jupitreas would cringe at the sight of Interpol being mentioned here. But I love their two first albums. Same story as for Bloc Party, caught them just as they were releasing their first single. Here's something that you should like.

You must know all the singles by Franz Ferdinand though, they're so popular, they play on the radio/tv etc. I hear them outside all the time. But I would advise you to listen to their first album. Eponymous album. Same story again .

2001 was when I a cybercafé opened in my street, and got an illegal british satellite hookup to MTV and MTV2 (it was indie/rock/metal oriented at that time and played some very good new stuff). That's probably why I know so many of bands that never plummeted in France and elsewhere at that time. But I went on and started listening to metal and missed everything after 2005.

That's why I only know a couple songs from Foal. They have that very catchy tune that was used in commercials and stuff. I know Minus The Bear, but only because a bartender friend was obsessed by one of their songs and annoyed us with it . I have never got into the genre. But do help me. I like what I know.

The ones you linked were cool, though the first White Lies song didn't appeal to me that much. Anyways, I don't actually know Franz Ferdinand a lot at all, the only song I can recall by them is Ulysses, which is not very post-punky, though I do like it.

As for what I mentioned:

These aren't really PPR but should appeal to fans of the genre, and some of them do sound similiar.
07.06.2014 - 13:00
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I'm so glad I stumbled upon this topic, because it reminded me again of White Lies. Haven't listened to the guys in ages

I find Joy/Disaster highly enjoyable:

As for Franz Ferdinand, I wouldn't exactly call them post-punk. I used to listen them a lot and always considered them plain good indie rock.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
07.06.2014 - 17:32
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by AnGina-- on 07.06.2014 at 13:00

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this topic, because it reminded me again of White Lies. Haven't listened to the guys in ages

I find Joy/Disaster highly enjoyable
As for Franz Ferdinand, I wouldn't exactly call them post-punk. I used to listen them a lot and always considered them plain good indie rock.

Hmmm, I had never heard of those guys. I listened to those two links. I didn't like the first one at all. But the second fits a lot more the PPR label, but I think the voice is off. He sounds like he's trying too hard to sing down low. It sounds like they tracked in a garage. The riffs are scruffy. All in all, it sounds very amateurish and not very inspired, I'd say :/.

But if you read what we said, never has Franz Ferdinand been labeled Post-Punk, or PPR. .
07.06.2014 - 17:55
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Uldreth on 07.06.2014 at 12:19

The ones you linked were cool, though the first White Lies song didn't appeal to me that much. Anyways, I don't actually know Franz Ferdinand a lot at all, the only song I can recall by them is Ulysses, which is not very post-punky, though I do like it.

As for what I mentioned:
These aren't really PPR but should appeal to fans of the genre, and some of them do sound similiar.

I am definetly going to listen to some Foals. Just by listening to three tracks, I am convinced they have a lot of the qualities I am looking for in PPR, and apply them to their own style, without being PPR at all. That first link was great. The second I liked a lost less .

I think I'm going to try and listen to an album by Minus The Bear, but I'm less enthusiastic about them than about Foals.

The last band didn't really seduce me, though. Sorry!

You might think I'm being a bit of pain in the bum, but I do think that all of them are not bad at all. I just know what kind of music I will, and will not come back to. Those I "dismissed" were good listens, but that's all .

Now, if you want to try FF, here's my favourite song by them:

If you loved Editors that much. Check the side project held by their frontman: Smith & Burrows :

And this:
07.06.2014 - 22:05
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Ilham on 07.06.2014 at 17:32

But if you read what we said, never has Franz Ferdinand been labeled Post-Punk, or PPR. .

I did, just put my two cents to it, as a FF fan. Shouldn't I?
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
07.06.2014 - 22:07
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by AnGina-- on 07.06.2014 at 22:05

I did, just put my two cents to it, as a FF fan. Shouldn't I?

No problem with that. I love them as well.
08.06.2014 - 11:24
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Ok, as long as we're on the same page here If this becomes another thread where "noone can read", well.... classic MS thing, I won't even go there.

Written by Ilham on 07.06.2014 at 17:32

It sounds like they tracked in a garage. The riffs are scruffy. All in all, it sounds very amateurish and not very inspired, I'd say :/.

Joy/Disaster are occasinaly walking on the think line between goth rock and post-punk, especially Sickness album from 2012 which is very much more goth rock oriented than actually post-punk. So the classical post-punk features aren't always so notably presented.

The garage sounding - I acutally like it. I like my post-punk to have the "punk" vibe. What I really miss in nowadays bands is that raw, primary, authentic energy to make music, no matter what. Even if it's poorly produced. If anything, it sounds more inspired to me, than the straight-forward, polished sound. But that's just me.

Anyway, got presented this yesterday, an italian deathrock/post-punk band, with a debut on the way:
----
14.07.2014 - 20:06
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
In case anyone actually got intrigued by ^^ Cyndies, their debut EP Smellin'Burnin was recently released and is available for streaming on their Bancamp. I took a couple of spins and enjyoing it, but it does lean towards death rock momentarily, so it's not pure PPR per sé.
----
14.10.2016 - 21:11
Haddock666

I like some post punk. Mainly I listen Joy Division, Killing Joke and Bauhaus.