Metal Storm logo
When and How did You start listening to Metal?

Original post

Posted by , 26.01.2007 - 14:44
Well, I've been looking in the forum, but I couldn't find a topic like this one. Now that I finally got my 100 posts, I can create it . (Hope it wont be locked or deleted though).

I'd like to know when you guys have started to like metal. I think it reveals many things about people's personality, as in my opinion, Metal is not a kind of music you can listen to "by chance". I think there is a kind of... evolution, which eventually makes you listen to this music.

Personally, I started being into Metal only 3 years ago, in 2003, (which is kinda late,) thanks to Rammstein, I was about 14, but even then, I was more into Industrial and Rock. Even if I've been raised with a big brother who used to listen to classic Metal bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica for instance, I've never thought I would regard myself as a "metalhead" one day.

I guess I wasn't mature enough to understand what Metal could really mean. But we all grow up. I've never really had a "happy" life, and I found in Metal things that helped me much. There were feelings I couldn't name, and Metal enabled me to understand more things about my own life and about people in general.
I think I wouldn't have started listening to this kind of music if I wasn't forced to leave the place I had been living in for years, for the second time. That special event, when I had to move and leave everything behind, made me start listening to Metal. And now i know i cant live without it.

Its your turn now , I'd like to know how and when you started listening to Metal. It might be really interesting I think, and I'm sure there is a lot to say .
16.05.2011 - 06:34
king_matt

Probably Guitar Hero 3 when I was like 10. I loved the songs One by Metallica, Raining Blood by Slayer, and Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden. I didn't actually start listening to metal until a few years later.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
17.05.2011 - 01:29
JollyRoger

First album I buyed was Pantera's Far Beyond Driven in 1994. From a musical point of view I'm apparently far too young and still exploring good old metal songs.
----
"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it." (Oscar Wilde)
20.06.2011 - 01:17
JorgonQ

A friend of mine had an older brother who listened to heavy metal. First album I bought was Ride The Lightning (on cassette!). I was about 11 when I bought that album. I didn't truly get into heavy metal until the advent of file sharing, where upon looking for "The Trooper" I accidentally downloaded a Children of Bodom cover. Not really a CoB cover, but all the sameI just went from there. This site made finding new bands much easier.
----
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
20.06.2011 - 04:23
NecroCorpSlayer

Someone told me about Slayer, and listened to one of their songs and thought, "Holy shit this genre is awesome".
27.10.2011 - 04:50
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
I was about 7 years old, digging through my dad's old CDs cause he told me about this one band called AC/DC, i found Back in Black, popped it into my CD player and was blown away. Then came Guns N' Roses, Metallica, and it just kept growing.
27.10.2011 - 20:02
lisarowe

As a kid I listened to anything, but could never find something I really liked. Then I heard metallica's master of puppets and the energy I got from it was huge. It made me feel like the most powerfull little kiddo in the world. And the interlude, it felt like I had finally found 'my music'.

I used to think metal was for scary people obeying satan, which is a big misunderstanding. I'm glad I found music that can make me cry like a baby, kick someone's ass like fuck and makes me run twice as fast.
24.11.2011 - 03:07
DevouredByAbyss

8 years ago in the house of my cousins, star with Master Of Puppets of Metallica.
----
Lord of abyss, you are more powerful is thousand suns, you are more terrible a infinite deaths. I will see the heaven lit by burst; I will see the glory burn in infernal flames.

Rockers Go to Hell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39GILx56cV8

The Emperor
26.12.2011 - 20:36
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I started listening to some Guitar Hero hard rock stuff, in 2008. Then I discovered Maximum The Hormone in some Hacked GH... then, I fell in love with this Hardcore Punk/Alternative band. Months later I discovered Sabaton in youtube via related videos. Some months later, I started listening Korn and Amon Amarth, discovered Bathory and them I really started to like Metal/Rock. It was between december/January 2010, when I joined MS. I can say that my top three influences was Maximum The Hormone, Sabaton and then Bathory. Today, I listen to +- 80~90 bands from Almost any metal subgenre, rock and some 80's stuff like Duran Duran.

Oh, I think I talk too much...
08.04.2012 - 12:56
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Long ago among all the pop musics existed during my teenage era I accidentally found a cassette of Master of Puppets wow I was like finding a new Island you can't imagine that so soon I found out more about W.A.S.P and Iron Maiden I was the only girl in my highschool who knew that a music named metal existed !
08.04.2012 - 14:59
s_t_s

Funny thing, actually my father accidentally got me into Metal when I was a teenager. He brought from his work media library a couple of CDs and one of them happened to be "Ram It Down" by Judas Priest. So it was the album that got me into metal Then of course I became fan of Metallica albums from Ride the Lighting to Master of Puppets, just dumped that band when they released their black album... Moved on with Sepultura, Pantera, Machine Head and Fear Factory. More than 20 years later, I'm still following a few of these bands and others I listened to from their very first album (like Amon Amart or Septicflesh) but with years I've move further into melodic black metal than "classic" or heavy metal
09.04.2012 - 14:59
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Solo to "Jump in the Fire" in my German class, 10th grade. Yay for iPods!

----
24.06.2012 - 23:04
J:oKeR

My friend has a brother who brought us metal 4/5 years ago(don't know exactly), of course introducing us to Metallica, Iron Maiden and my (then) favourite Children Of Bodom...than lately my sisters friend introduced me to doom and folk metal and that's when i realised how huge metal world is...
----
Aaaaaaaaaa
10.10.2012 - 11:47
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Hopefully this makes sense (parentheses are years of peak level of interest in group):

Metallica (2007-2009) -> Iron Maiden (2008-Present) -> Blind Guardian/Opeth (2010-Present) -> Agalloch (2011 to Present) -> Expands further from then on, hard to keep track of everything.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
14.10.2012 - 18:15
pottsj

I grew up hearing metal around me because of my dad and uncle who are both musicians. It was never pushed on me, I still heard pop music and everything but I remember being sat in the back seat when I was about 10 and my uncle had the Brutal Planet album by Alice Cooper on. I didn't know who it was at the time but I remember thinking that it was the coolest fucking thing I'd ever heard. When I expressed interest, they started lending me CDs all the time and my dad bought me an electric guitar. When I was about 12 / 13 I listened to a lot of nu metal and stuff because that's what my friends listened to but I got bored of it quickly and went back to listening to classics like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden.
05.11.2012 - 13:52
Hoff

I started when I heard Rob Zombie and Powerman 5000 on the soundtracks of Twisted Metal and Gran Turismo. Later on a friend showed me SOAD & a7x. I got an mp3 player of my own one day, my eldest brother had put Eluveitie and Equilibrium on it. I started researching metal for myself and the rest is history.
----
Mildly Clever
05.11.2012 - 15:16
musclassia

My first real music interest was kinda popular rock stuff at the time like Linkin Park, Offspring, Good charlotte, Muse etc. In terms of metal, probably 10% of the credit goes to V-Rock from GTA (and maybe Radio X, but I got into most of that stuff a couple years later), and about 90% to Guitar Hero 1 (Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Pantera) and Guitar Hero 3 (Metallica, Iron Maiden, and my gateway band, Dragonforce). Beyond that, mainly online searches, and the great help that was one of my friends dumping his iTunes onto my computer to sift through, and just build from. Rock Band 2 played a role too, most notably for Dream Theater and Mastodon.
07.11.2012 - 04:40
FourMechALEX
Account deleted
Sadly, I started off a total poser, haha, I would listen to any rock I could get my hands on because I knew I didn't like pop, rap, country or any other genre I had heard and I wanted to play guitar in a band (I thought it seemed "cool", poser poser poser... lol). So once in my art class I sketched my guitar for a weekly sketch and showed it to a friend in my free period right before class. His friend was there and asked me enthusiastically if I played. Of course even though I could barely play I said yes and the discussion ended in me being invited into the band for which he played drums. Crazy luck, right? So at the first practice the lead guitarist and bassist turned on Run To the Hills by Iron Maiden and speechless, I fell in love. Megadeth, Judas Priest, Motorhead and Metallica soon followed and now I'm a total thrash person.
10.11.2012 - 01:57
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Im not kidding, but it all started out with Eurovision Song Contest (what?!) In 2005, I found the norwegian hard rock band Wig Wam, and listen a lot to them. They participated at ESC. In 2006, I found Lordi by watching the show. Later on, I somehow found the swedish band Dream Evil. Then I got into powermetal, and listened to Hammerfall and such. I didn't listen to anything growl and scream related before I found the song Hades by Kalmah (man that song is friggin awesome!) I still hated the growls and screams, but I just HAD to listen to it because of the fantastic music. So from there, I really became a metalhead. Listening mostly to melodic death metal, and some extreme/prog like Ne Obliviscaris. (This band is ridiculously good)
12.11.2012 - 20:39
PrinceLink

I was browsing through random music online and stumbled upon Metallica's Master of Puppets.
13.11.2012 - 03:42
Guib
Thrash Talker
At first when I was younger I was that little idiot kid who thought (wtf metal is stupid and noise and ...blah blah blah) without really knowing what I was talking about and then pushed by my very own curiosity (around 12) I wanted to see what metal was and its then that I realized how blind and foolish I was at first. I started like most of us did with bands like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth and Judas Priest... and then BAM I was hooked and never stopped listening to metal ever since. Proof that idiots can change lollll well Im still an idiot, but a much more open-minded one.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
25.11.2012 - 22:39
Nemo Atkins

My story involves pop punk and The Darkness. As a pre-teen, I used to listen to folk music, Queen, bits of country and the usual top 40's stuff on the music channel of the TV. One day, I was watching it when Busted came up. I loved their music, as it was energetic, but poppy enough for me to not feel weird listening to it. A few weeks later, I happened to be watching when I saw "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" by The Darkness. I was fascinated by that song, even going to the level of trying to memorise the video for it. Then "In The Shadows" and "Guilty" by The Rasmus came up on it and I loved both of them and Evanescence's "Bring Me To Life" sold me on darker music than what I'd been previously listened to. However, I couldn't find them anywhere else, so I focused on pop punk for a while before my mum got me Guitar Hero World Tour for Christmas one year. Whilst playing, I ran into quite a few songs I found interesting, downloaded most of them onto my computer and then happened to remember the name Metallica for some reason (can't remember how I heard that name now). A few days later (just before 2011 started), I had purchased Kill Em All and Ride The Lightning and, since then, I've pretty much remained focused on metal, getting more interested in power metal back in that June thanks to Symfonia and have pretty much remained focused on that, thrash, glam (which I've only just started really checking out) and heavy (which I started listening to alongside thrash), with the occasional bit of melodic death. Not that I don't check back on my pre-metal stuff, though: I still have a fondness for Good Charlotte, as their second album was pretty much my soundtrack to the summer of 2007.
27.11.2012 - 12:00
Chriwalker
Account deleted
I started with Rock, Kiss was the first band I heard down the road but it was Iron Maiden that got me to listen (songs like: Run to the Hills, Number of the Beast, the Trooper, Fear of the Dark, Dance of Death), never had music felt so sweet in my ears I have always been a guy who like energy and speed, so it's not surprising that from there my love for Maiden and other bands that I got from my friend (Edguy, Axxis) Power metal became my passion and has evolved even more since then, today I have love for a variety of metal genres and will probably never stop
21.01.2013 - 04:17
squidrick420

When i was like 7 or 8 and i heard Motorhead on Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3. That game series got me equally into metal and punk.
21.01.2013 - 04:53
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by squidrick420 on 21.01.2013 at 04:17

When i was like 7 or 8 and i heard Motorhead on Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3. That game series got me equally into metal and punk.

Have to say it helped

Agent Orange, Ac/Dc, Anthrax. My favourite song when I was a kid was Bring Da Noize.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.01.2013 - 15:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Boxcar Willy on 21.01.2013 at 04:53

... when I was a kid ...

you're still a kid, you're 16
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.01.2013 - 16:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.01.2013 at 15:21

Written by Boxcar Willy on 21.01.2013 at 04:53

... when I was a kid ...

AM NOT!!!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.01.2013 - 16:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Quote:
Written by Boxcar Willy on 21.01.2013 at 16:02

AM NOT!!!

Under twenty you're a kid and then you'll be a young adult until 30
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.01.2013 - 16:13
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.01.2013 at 16:08

When can I start calling you "old man"?
21.01.2013 - 17:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Alex F on 21.01.2013 at 16:13

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.01.2013 at 16:08

When can I start calling you "old man"?

about 4 years ago
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.03.2013 - 20:48
Hellvomit

Started soooo long ago, 11 years, thanks to my best friend of childhood and games of the period. Already listened to some mainstream rock he introduced me to Scorpions, Kiss, Ozzy-time glam-(do not laugh, were other times, young men ...) but the real conversion came about thanks to a few months after Judas Priest. I was attracted to this music and their clothing was all leather and studs for a little boy something really cool! I found their music exciting and overwhelming right now and from there I have never stopped
----
[http://unblessed-distro.blogspot.it/]