Metal Storm logo
When and How did You start listening to Metal?

Original post

Posted by , 26.01.2007 - 14:44
Well, I've been looking in the forum, but I couldn't find a topic like this one. Now that I finally got my 100 posts, I can create it . (Hope it wont be locked or deleted though).

I'd like to know when you guys have started to like metal. I think it reveals many things about people's personality, as in my opinion, Metal is not a kind of music you can listen to "by chance". I think there is a kind of... evolution, which eventually makes you listen to this music.

Personally, I started being into Metal only 3 years ago, in 2003, (which is kinda late,) thanks to Rammstein, I was about 14, but even then, I was more into Industrial and Rock. Even if I've been raised with a big brother who used to listen to classic Metal bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica for instance, I've never thought I would regard myself as a "metalhead" one day.

I guess I wasn't mature enough to understand what Metal could really mean. But we all grow up. I've never really had a "happy" life, and I found in Metal things that helped me much. There were feelings I couldn't name, and Metal enabled me to understand more things about my own life and about people in general.
I think I wouldn't have started listening to this kind of music if I wasn't forced to leave the place I had been living in for years, for the second time. That special event, when I had to move and leave everything behind, made me start listening to Metal. And now i know i cant live without it.

Its your turn now , I'd like to know how and when you started listening to Metal. It might be really interesting I think, and I'm sure there is a lot to say .
10.03.2013 - 00:06
skrog1

Technically, I started with Transformers: The Movie. That soundtrack has some sweet metal on it. But I really didn't get into it until high school. That's when I started playing guitar, getting into Slayer and Cannibal Corpse, and Deicide, and playing in a band.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
26.07.2013 - 11:30
Infernal Eternal

I once saw an Ac Dc video on TV when I was 12. I searched online and started listening to them a lot. Then, I discovered Iron Maiden....
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
22.09.2013 - 22:11
Frank Comstock

Well, here's my story. It's so awesome hearing what everybody else has to say on the matter.

I would say that my interest in rock started when I was 13. Before that, I would never touch any rock album, considering I was primarily listening to rap (before that, the hardest I had was, seriously, Fenix TX). I was pretty young and naive, and I just discovered the likes of Rancid (yeah, I was young back then, but I still like them a lot!), who seemed so crazy, hard, and powerful. In Middle School, I was around 13 when I became interested in the first metal band, Metallica. I grabbed Ride, Master, and their self titled and gave it a listen. Needless to say, I was blown away with how powerful the music I was listening to. Throughout the rest of middle school, I was listening to that, and it was all over. I had no interest in Bling Rap (thank god!). I was, at the point, a punker with a Metallica bent. It would lead me into being a life long Metal fanatic.

I won't give you my life story (don't worry!), but needless to say, by High School and age 14, I was swapping albums and favorites with friends who had a ton of background in Old School Death Metal and Thrash. I middled about my Freshman year with a lot of 70's and 80's hard rock (which I'm not a fan of any more, barring Led Zeppelin) and Punk Rock, but by 15 it was all over for me. I eased my way into Extreme Metal with the help of Slayer and a few Cannibal Corpse records. Then, I finally discovered Technical Death Metal at the tender age of 15. Thanks to Cryptopsy, Nile, Gorguts (Obscura was one of my favorites at only 15, heh), and a few others, I was hooked for life. There was also the likes of Old School Death Metal like Morbid Angel, who also ruled.

I'm 22 now, and needless to say I'm still listening to pretty much all of the metal bands I was introduced to. However, I'm expanding my tastes to this day, and I've never been happier with my musical tastes. Hopefully, someday, I'll be able to have thousands of metal albums under my belt, and enough knowledge of Metal history to fill a PhD's worth. Wish me luck.
----
"You travel within the glory of my memories, insect. I can feel your fear as you tread the endless expanse of my mind. Make yourself comfortable... before long I will decorate my home with your carcass."
25.09.2013 - 11:56
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Infernal Eternal on 26.07.2013 at 11:30

I once saw an Ac Dc video on TV when I was 12. I searched online and started listening to them a lot. Then, I discovered Iron Maiden....

You saw an AC-DC video in 1914?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.10.2013 - 19:20
metalfan98

Ever since the day I was born my dad always played Metallica and maiden and stuff and I took it and expanded my knowledge and the bands I listened to expanded greatly and here I am today
----
No emotion thrash is all I need
01.10.2013 - 19:31
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.01.2013 at 16:08

Under twenty you're a kid and then you'll be a young adult until 30

and after 30 people are old officially ?
----
The Fangirl.
01.10.2013 - 19:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by angel. on 01.10.2013 at 19:31

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.01.2013 at 16:08

Under twenty you're a kid and then you'll be a young adult until 30

and after 30 people are old officially ?

did I say that? No, I didn't I just said that over 30 one is and adult, that's all
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.10.2013 - 19:50
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.10.2013 at 19:44

I just said that over 30 one is and adult, that's all

yes good to know that,I will be an adult.
----
The Fangirl.
21.01.2014 - 15:17
Infernal Eternal

Written by M C Vice on 25.09.2013 at 11:56

Written by Infernal Eternal on 26.07.2013 at 11:30

Lol no. In 2005
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
21.01.2014 - 15:46
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by M C Vice on 25.09.2013 at 11:56

----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
30.03.2014 - 14:23
ToMegaTherion

Must have been around 12 or 13 when i went halves with my girlfriend at the time in Iced Earth - Dark Saga... and was listening well before that
03.04.2014 - 07:41
bkrownd

My intro to metal was Dio's "Rainbow In The Dark" video on MTV around 1984. I was hooked within a couple months after that.
04.04.2014 - 04:42
andyschultz

Downloading the first 5 Metallica albums on my dads credit card because i wanted to start listening to metal. never looked back \m/
29.03.2016 - 01:05
ouion

My journey to metal begins when I listen to varieties of music, but I will only name a few: Classical, Rock, pop, dub-step, electronic, and yes little bits of Heavy Metal. For me, I love heavy and complex music. Before I listen to metal, I mostly listen to some obscure musicians and bands. As some point in my life, I decided pop was very catchy and simple. In School, I join band and play a instrument. In band, I learned how music works and I love the music which the band plays. It sounded very complex, heavy, and epic. As with me a Judging person. I once declared if the music sounds good on my terms, then its the music I will listen to. My Friend grew up with metal, but he only listens to the big four thrash metal bands. First, my introduction to metal was by my friend. I didn't like metal at first( by the way, he made me listen to Metallica). My official introduction to metal was by listening to a Symphonic Gothic Metal band called Xandria, the First songs I listen to was Ravenheart and Eversleeping(I listen to some Therion back before my friend made me listen to Metallica). As with me, I love heavy and dark music. I begin listening to Xandria and some other Symphonic Metal and Gothic Metal bands. I quickly expanded to Power metal, Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Doom Metal, Progressive Metal, Alternative Metal. I told my friend about this, and I almost can see him hanging his head in shame over the diversity of metal, I listen to. He then said, he listens to "Soft Metal". I am now happy with metal and this is what music I was searching for. Now, I really want to play a Electric Guitar!

Bands and Genres I listen to

Symphonic Metal and Gothic Metal:

Xandria
Nightwish
Tiamat
Sirenia
Paradise Lost
Therion
Tristania
Lacuna Coil

Power Metal:
Primal Fear
Sonata Arctica

Thrash Metal:
Megadeth

Heavy Metal:
Black Sabbath

Death Metal:

Omnium Gatherum
Morbid Angel

Progressive Metal:

Toothgrinder(this band combines a little bit of metalcore)
11.08.2016 - 21:53
Enteroctopus

Listened to Poison and Skid Row when I was six or seven. Around eight years old they decided I should go to a different school and actually I rode the short school bus to that one, and my bus driver was the shit!! She blasted "Appetite for Destruction" and even dubbed me a copy, so I wore that shit out and bought another one. Then I discovered Metallica by way of, "...And Justice for All," and frankly, it scared me and that's what I liked. It seemed like I was probably going to go to Hell for listening to it and people would probably think I was this terrible person, and that just made it all the more juicy and delicious, and heck I was already on the short bus with special ed kids so what the fuck did I care what anyone thought?!

Fast forward a few years and eventually I found Slayer, that's probably around 1990, and actually it was a live album, I think, "Live Undead," but mainly it was older stuff like, "Die By The Sword," and "Black Magic." Sooner or later I invested in Reign in Blood and, well, that pretty much guaranteed my eternal damnation.

From there, high school and this was around 1993, '94, so Morbid Angel, Deicide, Corpse, Death, and the rest is history. Dissection, Emperor, that was all new stuff then.

If you count Poison and Skid Row I've been listening to metal since probably 1983 or '84. If GnR counts that's 1987. metallica for sure counts, so that was 1988.
12.08.2016 - 13:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Enteroctopus on 11.08.2016 at 21:53

Listened to Poison and Skid Row when I was six or seven. Around eight years old they decided I should go to a different school and actually I rode the short school bus to that one, and my bus driver was the shit!! She blasted "Appetite for Destruction" and even dubbed me a copy, so I wore that shit out and bought another one. Then I discovered Metallica by way of, "...And Justice for All," and frankly, it scared me and that's what I liked. It seemed like I was probably going to go to Hell for listening to it and people would probably think I was this terrible person, and that just made it all the more juicy and delicious, and heck I was already on the short bus with special ed kids so what the fuck did I care what anyone thought?!

Fast forward a few years and eventually I found Slayer, that's probably around 1990, and actually it was a live album, I think, "Live Undead," but mainly it was older stuff like, "Die By The Sword," and "Black Magic." Sooner or later I invested in Reign in Blood and, well, that pretty much guaranteed my eternal damnation.

From there, high school and this was around 1993, '94, so Morbid Angel, Deicide, Corpse, Death, and the rest is history. Dissection, Emperor, that was all new stuff then.

If you count Poison and Skid Row I've been listening to metal since probably 1983 or '84. If GnR counts that's 1987. metallica for sure counts, so that was 1988.

Poison's debut is from 86 and Skid Row's from 89
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.08.2016 - 18:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Okay will repeat what I said on the first page of this topic...

I started listening to metal in September 1979 when Kiss (yes, they were called heavy metal back then) had a hit with that disco song of theirs I Was Made For Loving You. I really loved that song and especially the bass riff in it so I went out and bought Kiss stuff on pirated cassettes in Singapore (where I lived at the time and pirated cassettes only cost 1 USD) when buying the Kiss tapes the guy in the shop recommended me stuff such as Scorpions, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, and so on. From then on I kept going to that shop to spend my pocket money on all that nice heavy metal. Then in January 1983 I returned to The Netherlands with my parents and some classmates were into some much more underground metal (which we could not get in Singapore) and through them I obtained an original copy of Metallica's No Life Till Leather and copies of Mercyful Fate demos and so on. And those two demos really set me off into the more extreme end of metal and especially the start of the thrash scene in the US at the time.
Well, and I here I still am 36 years and 11 months later.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.08.2016 - 00:14
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.08.2016 at 18:25

I started listening to metal in September 1979 when Kiss (yes, they were called heavy metal back then) had a hit with that disco song of theirs I Was Made For Loving You. I really loved that song and especially the bass riff in it so I went out

hehe it makes me giggle that you loved that song, makes the imagination of you dancing the riff. xD
----
The Fangirl.
13.08.2016 - 18:53
mechanix74

In my teen years i listening everything in very used k7's from my old friends. From punk rock to death metal i was digging everything i could. then i start making my choices, because of my state of mind or the environment i lived ,the trash/speed metal scene make more meaning to me than the maiden heavy metal thing, well punk rock and trash metal are the main musical tastes i have (and some alternative things).
other of my musical memories were the torture of listening pop trash shit from the radio car of my dad (this were the 80's). I still got my first recorded k7, in side a : south of heaven - slayer, and in the side b sex pistols (nevermind the bollocks of course).
14.08.2016 - 20:47
The Batlord

Probably like most people in the 30 range I started with Slipknot and whatever, but it was Metallica that really got me into caring about metal. After becoming obsessed with them it was a hop, skip, and a jump to Megadeth, who I also became obsessed with. And then on to Maiden, then Slayer and Anthrax, and so started years of thrash elitism. I've since branched out all across the musical spectrum (metal and otherwise), but it all started with Metallica and thrash. Boring story I guess, but I got into extreme metal cause of Bathory, so I guess that's something more than just another Metallica story. So there, bitches.

Props to Mikolaj for the Today Is the Day avatar BTW.
----
Bands that suck: Dream Theater, Dragonforce, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, the folk rock half of Led Zeppelin, 99% of thrash metal bands from the turn of the century, Mumford & Sons, any death metal band influenced by Necrophagist.

That is all for now.
17.08.2016 - 07:42
Korpi
\m/ ichigan
2005 a friend introduced me to Rammstein; from there it was a quick spiral from classical, rock, and mixed-genre music into metal.

Rammstein got me interested in "harder hitting" music
Ensiferum sealed the deal with genre mixing folk metal
Persuader kept it catchy and running in my head all day
Moonsorrow refined my taste and solidified everything
17.08.2016 - 13:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 13.08.2016 at 15:07

How much did the Mercyful Fate demos cost at that time If I might ask?

Those cost me 10 guilders a piece at the time. So, that would be 4.50 euros a piece.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2016 - 13:32
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Guest on 17.08.2016 at 23:36

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.08.2016 at 13:16

Written by Guest on 13.08.2016 at 15:07

How much did the Mercyful Fate demos cost at that time If I might ask?

Those cost me 10 guilders a piece at the time. So, that would be 4.50 euros a piece.

Oh ok, that isnt much then. I somehow thought that it would be a bit more expensive.

Probably more when inflation's counted.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
18.08.2016 - 14:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by M C Vice on 18.08.2016 at 13:32

Probably more when inflation's counted.

At the time single LP's cost 20 - 25 guilders which 9 - 11 euros.

Btw the cost of the demos was inclusive of postage and packing.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.09.2016 - 04:12
__Mailman

I never got into metal until a year ago when I picked up my first Sabbath album. However, I unknowingly listened to metal before that. When I was in about 5th grade or so, I listened to a band called Cryoshell because they wrote music for the Bionicle Lego series. It's really great music and I still listen to it today. It's funny now that I think of it: I went to a very conservative Christian grade school in 5th grade and they preached that heavy metal was Satanic. If I knew what I was listening to back then, I would've freaked. But after Cryoshell, I got into Queen and other classic rock bands. Then in my freshman year of high school I got into rap (those were confusing times). I got back into classic rock later in my sophomore year and then got into metal towards the end.
15.09.2016 - 04:13
__Mailman

I never got into metal until a year ago when I picked up my first Sabbath album. However, I unknowingly listened to metal before that. When I was in about 5th grade or so, I listened to a band called Cryoshell because they wrote music for the Bionicle Lego series. It's really great music and I still listen to it today. It's funny now that I think of it: I went to a very conservative Christian grade school in 5th grade and they preached that heavy metal was Satanic. If I knew what I was listening to back then, I would've freaked. But after Cryoshell, I got into Queen and other classic rock bands. Then in my freshman year of high school I got into rap (those were confusing times). I got back into classic rock later in my sophomore year and then got into metal towards the end.
15.09.2016 - 04:13
__Mailman

15.09.2016 - 09:36
no one
Account deleted
Jeez americans like to talk
15.09.2016 - 10:06
Paz

Written by Guest on 15.09.2016 at 09:36

Jeez americans like to talk

Do you mean his triple copy-paste post?
07.10.2016 - 03:33
Uziel

Written by ouion on 29.03.2016 at 01:05

My journey to metal begins when I listen to varieties of music, but I will only name a few: Classical, Rock, pop, dub-step, electronic, and yes little bits of Heavy Metal. For me, I love heavy and complex music. Before I listen to metal, I mostly listen to some obscure musicians and bands. As some point in my life, I decided pop was very catchy and simple. In School, I join band and play a instrument. In band, I learned how music works and I love the music which the band plays. It sounded very complex, heavy, and epic. As with me a Judging person. I once declared if the music sounds good on my terms, then its the music I will listen to. My Friend grew up with metal, but he only listens to the big four thrash metal bands. First, my introduction to metal was by my friend. I didn't like metal at first( by the way, he made me listen to Metallica). My official introduction to metal was by listening to a Symphonic Gothic Metal band called Xandria, the First songs I listen to was Ravenheart and Eversleeping(I listen to some Therion back before my friend made me listen to Metallica). As with me, I love heavy and dark music. I begin listening to Xandria and some other Symphonic Metal and Gothic Metal bands. I quickly expanded to Power metal, Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Doom Metal, Progressive Metal, Alternative Metal. I told my friend about this, and I almost can see him hanging his head in shame over the diversity of metal, I listen to. He then said, he listens to "Soft Metal". I am now happy with metal and this is what music I was searching for. Now, I really want to play a Electric Guitar!

Bands and Genres I listen to

Symphonic Metal and Gothic Metal:

Xandria
Nightwish
Tiamat
Sirenia
Paradise Lost
Therion
Tristania
Lacuna Coil

Power Metal:
Primal Fear
Sonata Arctica

Thrash Metal:
Megadeth

Heavy Metal:
Black Sabbath

Death Metal:

Omnium Gatherum
Morbid Angel

Progressive Metal:

Toothgrinder(this band combines a little bit of metalcore)

I invite you to check out the band called Dark Letter (http://darkletter.pl)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8XSkqtcFKiV15fUtqms-Bw/videos
https://www.facebook.com/darkletter