Metal Storm logo
Opeth - Premiere New Single

Opeth have officially premiered their brand new single today. This is the first taste you'll have of their forthcoming new album Pale Communion. The album pre-orders begin tomorrow. For now, you can listen to "Cusp Of Eternity" streaming at this location. Enjoy it, take it all in and then give us your impressions about it.

Pale Communion will come out on August 26th via Roadrunner Records.

Artwork by Travis Smith

Tracklist:

01. Eternal Rains Will Come
02. Cusp Of Eternity
03. Moon Above, Sun Below
04. Elysian Woes
05. Goblin
06. River
07. Voice Of Treason
08. Faith in Others

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 02.06.2014 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 71   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 529 users
02.06.2014 - 23:56
euronymous
This song is boring or maybe is awful. I never liked opeth, only heritage i liked.
03.06.2014 - 00:34
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Don't know yet if I like the song or not.. In a way, it sounded like I expected, but in another way it's kinda surprising as well I'd say. The production is very good, I like the sound on the drums and the vocals. Not very excited about the new album though. Heritage was a good album, but I do prefer the good ol' Opeth ala Ghost Reveries, Watershed etc.
03.06.2014 - 01:23
Orangutoad
Low-life douche
Although I thought it was below par for Opeth, I actually liked Heritage, even though it did get old rather quickly to me. This I'm not too sure about. It sounds boring and soulless.

I really miss old Opeth from Blackwater Park and Deliverance days, that was the Opeth I loved, not this generic artsy fartsy prog rock band they've turned into.
03.06.2014 - 01:56
Ornusashas
This is instantly my new favorite song. Freaking good.
----
Need to make a living somehow... http://creamandpowder.com/
03.06.2014 - 02:06
Lit.
Account deleted
As expected, boring as hell no matter what it sounds like.
03.06.2014 - 02:36
Jiri
Snorefest.
03.06.2014 - 02:46
akvan
Written by mz on 02.06.2014 at 21:43

^Yeah, Their only rivals would be the immortal classical composers, such as Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. But Opeth still beats them out.
It's just fucking pure unadulterated passion

----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
03.06.2014 - 02:57
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Cool song, reminds me of the song "Alone" by Amorphis. I love the artwork as well.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
03.06.2014 - 03:28
Sang Dalang Abu
Opeth. Well this song is great.
But I'm miss old Opeth.
03.06.2014 - 04:31
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Written by baldur on 02.06.2014 at 21:43

did you even listen to heritage?

Of course I did, once or twice and I didn't enjoy it at all. I definitely see the similarities, but for me this song is sort of like a marriage between Heritage and the previous sound in a way that's actually enjoyable for me.
03.06.2014 - 04:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.06.2014 at 04:34

Lel so many cry babies on their facebook page.

Wow, there really is.
03.06.2014 - 05:46
b0sse
Terrible.
03.06.2014 - 05:52
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Very catchy rock song. Really quite good and I just love the drum sound that Axe records. I also like the promotional clip that went with it.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
03.06.2014 - 05:53
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
After a couple of listens I positively like this song. What I really like about Opeth is that they never repeat themselves. This song is no exception. On one side, it sounds a bit like Heritage, but, on the other, it's a bit different.
I just hope that there is going to be enough diversity on the album.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
03.06.2014 - 05:54
Unhealer
Eclecticist
We have a fair share of cry babies here as well It was obvious this was going to get so many different opinions once again.

I like it; the vocal lines, keyboard and solo are pretty boss. Remember that according to reviews this is the most basic track on the album.
03.06.2014 - 05:54
theembryo
I do look forward to more from the new release, from the single, seems good things to come.
03.06.2014 - 06:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by deadone on 03.06.2014 at 06:17
I don't understand why people would expect another Ghost Reveries or Blackwater Park though. Opeth has been in a state of change for several albums now.

Man, some people are still expecting Metallica to release another Master of Puppets. Some fans just don't know when to give up hope...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.06.2014 - 06:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by deadone on 03.06.2014 at 06:27
Too true. And even if it was another MoP, they'd call it a cash-in or retreading past glory.

Which would be true in this situation too. It's impossible for bands like this to win, which is why you might as well say fuck the fans and put out what you want and just hope the record sales and tours help pay the bills. That's usually what gets bands like Opeth that degree of success in the first place.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.06.2014 - 07:52
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 03.06.2014 at 07:27

You don't need to read reviews to tell you that it's the most basic song off the album . 99.9% of the time when bands release a single it's the most accessible song off the album. I feel like some of the people crying about this song don't realise this which is a shame.

Yeah, but also usually more than one single is released for each album, at least big label albums like this. In fact, we'll have the second single from this album on July
03.06.2014 - 11:32
Derelict Earth
Decent song but a bit underwhelming ... And I really liked Heritage.
03.06.2014 - 12:20
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
A very good song, assuming you listen to the song, not to your expectations.
03.06.2014 - 18:55
Lethrokai
Written by deadone on 03.06.2014 at 06:17

Indeed I think they're one of those bands where one should expect the unexpected these days.

Isn't that what Prog is about anyhow?

This. It's one of the reasons I can really appreciate bands like Cynic and Opeth, even if I'm not particularly liking whatever sound they get into sometimes. Personally, I'm not too keen on this song, but I'd much rather Opeth kept experimenting with new sounds instead of just playing rehashed clones of their successful work. Cynic managed to really capture me with their new album, so I still hold hope that Opeth can do the same with Pale Communion. This song's a miss for me, but I doubt it's representative of the album's sound as a whole.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
03.06.2014 - 19:32
crucifiedjesus
Different but so good!!
03.06.2014 - 21:01
FR1DAY
Pretty "Zzzzzzz.....".
03.06.2014 - 22:27
phanto
Worst drumming I've heard in a long time. How can this un-tight mess pass production?

This sounds like Opeth doing Oprhaned Land or something... with lagging drums.
03.06.2014 - 23:17
Rupert
Written by phanto on 03.06.2014 at 22:27

Worst drumming I've heard in a long time. How can this un-tight mess pass production?

It's called real drumming.
03.06.2014 - 23:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Rupert on 03.06.2014 at 23:17

It's called real drumming.

indeed.
04.06.2014 - 10:47
Shmyt
It sounds very Heritage-esque, honestly, I like it. Not Blackwater Park, but pretty damn good.
04.06.2014 - 12:27
schlakt
I was hooked since first time i heard it! loving the simplicity and Åkerfeldts fantastic vocals
04.06.2014 - 13:07
musclassia
staff
Sounds more interesting than most of Heritage; haven't listened to it in a while due to my indifference towards it during the first few listens, but I never really felt like Heritage had much real emotional feel to it beyond the 70s prog veneer. However, this track is a lot easier to warm to. To be honest, it brings Amorphis to mind quite a bit, at least instrumentally. I'm not entirely convinced by the production; more at the beginning I guess, but it sounded a bit muted, especially as the backdrop for the dramatic vocals. Nowhere near a classic Opeth song, but hopefully there'll be better standout pieces on the album - this is a perfectly decent album track at least.

Hits total: 6015 | This month: 8