Metal Storm logo
Roadburn Festival 2014 - Day 4: Afterburner

Event: Roadburn Festival 2014
Written by: Auntie Sahar, X-Ray Rod
Published: 06.06.2014

Galleries:

Roadburn 2014, Afterburner by Auntie Sahar (39)
Roadburn 2014, Day 3 by Auntie Sahar (41)
Roadburn 2014, Day 2 by Auntie Sahar (38)
Roadburn 2014, Day 1 by Auntie Sahar (46)

After 3 days of friends, awesome tunes, and binging on food and merchandise, the 2014 edition of Roadburn Festival was finally drawing to a close with the so-called "Afterburner," the Sunday of the fest. While it was certainly sad to know that the whole occasion was ending, it was definitely exciting as well, as the organizers did seem to take a bit of a "best for last" sort of approach, saving some of my most-anticipated bands for this fourth day. After one final visit to that place with the good fries (sorry Rod, forgot the name), the crew and I made it over to the venue grounds for a more relaxed (but just as excellent) final day.

Rod: So this was our last day. This was really the point where I was both glad and sad about the festival coming to an end. My feet were certainly happy though, and I started getting some munchies for REAL food instead of my usual french fries. This fourth day is called "The Afterburner," and it's usually considered a sort of appendix to the main festival. You can buy a ticket just for the Afterburner event, or the first 3 days? or do as we did and be there for all four days! Anyways? during the Afterburner 2 out of the 5 stages that were previously used are closed. Less bands and less people. This was totally fine for me considering how exhausted I was up to that point.

AQUA NEBULA OSCILLATOR

Che: There was a much larger amount of psychedelic/space rock bands than usual on the Roadburn lineup this year, and being a total sucker for trippy music, I had to get in on the action. I had wanted to see Sula Bassana and Carlton Melton on the previous days, but both of their sets unfortunately conflicted with bands I was more interested in. With the more relaxed schedule of the Afterburner, however, there were no such problems, and I thus made it into the Green Room a good 15 minutes beforehand for these guys. Aqua Nebula Oscillator were kinda like The Vintage Caravan the day before: really bluesy, riff-dominated and with a big old-time sound, but a lot more dreamlike, spacey, and laden with that heavy synth/keyboard presence that I love so much. Their keyboardist also had a nice bongo setup that he got going on from time to time that helped to maintain a very tasty tribal flavor as well, and the band had some really sexy visual eye candy in the background the whole time to set the mood. While I wish I had gotten a bigger dose of this type of music for the entire festival, Aqua Nebula Oscillator certainly delivered it well, so I can't complain too much. Meanwhile, Rod was across the universe, listening to...

SELIM LEMOUCHI'S ENEMIES

With the tragic death of Selim Lemouchi, known mostly for being the founder of The Devil's Blood, this set was bound to be an important event for many people. Since I recently started listening to his bands, I decided to check out the first half of their set. I sat down way back on the stairs in the main stage and enjoy the show from above with a beer. It was certainly an emotional experience for both the musicians and the public. Their brand of psychedelic rock was mesmerizing and highly hypnotic. Farida Lemouchi (Selim's sister) sang beautifully and together with the visuals, showing Selim both playing in a studio and submerging himself in a lake in an almost ritualistic manner, the result was nothing short of emotive. A thoughtful tribute to a fallen soldier.

BÖLZER

Che: Fortunately, Bølzer were up next after Aqua Nebula Oscillator, so I just stayed front and center stage in the Green Room until they came on. The band's debut EP last year was one of the best fusions of black and death metal I had heard in a while, so I was particularly looking forward to this set. Along with Obliteration and Indian, Bølzer were probably the nastiest band of the festival. Okoi Jones (who Rod and I had unknowingly seen earlier during Obliteration's set) delivered full force throughout, with drummer "HzR" behind him in the background, and when they dove into "The Great Unifier" in particular, my neck really got snapping! Their set was a lot like Tribulation the previous day in the sense that it was both devastatingly crushing, yet also somehow strangely hypnotic. Call me a lover, but despite some tech issues and a bunch of people afterwards doing their usual complaining about how x sound was too this and y sound wasn't enough of that, these guys really impressed me. They're pretty much the duo that Inquisition wish they could be live, and I'm very excited for their second EP coming out this year.

Rod: Aura was, at least for me, one of the best death metal releases of the past year. It just sounded so fresh while still keeping it classic somehow. Needless to say, I looked forward to Bølzer's set. From what I gathered, the opinion of those who saw them perform varies a lot. They started late and apparently they got sound problems throughout the whole set. I'm ok with people calling me easily impressed? I thought they were great. It wasn't nearly as great as I was expecting, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Those magnificent riffs just kept going on and on with the chaotic drumming following. It was almost trace-friendly. The vocals could have been a bit louder though. I'd love to see them again to see if they get a better response from the audience, considering their obvious talent.

NEW KEEPERS OF THE WATER TOWERS

Che: Avatarium and Yob were up next in the day, but I really wasn't interested enough to drag my lazy ass to the main stage for either of them. So I hung around doing the usual jiving I had been for the past three days (food, beer, and talking to attractive Dutch women), until New Keepers came on later in the Green Room again. I don't think I'm alone when I say that these guys probably trumped out Yob as the stoner band to see on Sunday. Groovy, but also with a delightfully atmospheric tinge, New Keepers Of The Water Towers lulled us all into a strange trance with barreling riffs laced with a delicious psychedelic touch. The band have a particular wailing "aaahaaah" sound to their vocals on albums that is thankfully retained onstage, and they thus have no problem moving from one setting to the other. They played mostly material from their excellent recent album The Cosmic Child, and were quite possibly my favorite stoner band of the festival, a perfect (though heavier) complement to Aqua Nebula Oscillator earlier.

Rod: After Bølzer, I spent some time outside chilling, drinking and eating. When the time arrived I went to the balcony of one of the smaller stages in order to catch the first half of these Swedes. Their sophomore album from last year was my first contact with the band. It was great display of stoner metal that dripped tons of psychedelia as well. The band were certainly more trippy live than on album, and a bit more loose, making it a nice way to relax before my last set this day and of the entire festival. The set was great, but it didn't grab me that much. Probably because I was way too excited for the last band on my schedule?

TRIPTYKON

Che: Triptykon were one of the bands no doubt many people had come to Roadburn for in the first place. Much like with Seirom and Mories, it was somewhat very unreal to see Tom Fischer, a living legend of metal, in a live, personal setting. The band got going with some of their material from the recent Melana Chasmata, but as they plowed deeper into their set, Fischer and company unleashed some material harking back to the older days for the diehard fans in the audience, including Celtic Frost's "Circle Of The Tyrants," and even a Hellhammer track. The sound quality was nice, thick, and crunchy, perfect for this type of music, and the band were a perfect ending to both the Afterburner, and Roadburn as a whole. My only complaint with this performance was a somewhat personal one: I was far stage right for the set, so I didn't catch much of a glimpse of the beauty that is Vanja Slajh, who was stage left pretty much the entire time.

Rod: This was it. Triptykon were the last band of the festival I was going to see. My expectations were huge as I've been listening to Celtic Frost and Triptykon more and more during the past year. The main stage was nearly packed and by the time the band arrived it was clear how important this set was for most of the Roadburners. It sounded extremely heavy and intense. I just can't believe Fischer is friggin 51 years old and still rocks the shit out of the audience. Both his vocals and the ones from Victor Bullock sounded fantastic. We were treated with everything I had hoped for: the crushing and extremely dark Triptykon material as well as some good old songs. When the opening riff from the mighty "Circle Of The Tyrants" started I just lost it and headbanged like my life depended on it. Even a track from Hellhammer reached its ugly head during their set. All in all, a great way to finish it all.

HIGHLIGHTS AND TOUCHY-FEELIES

Rod: Honestly I can't say I had many highlights for the day? besides Triptykon being friggin awesome. I just have to point out that specific moment where everyone in the audience started yelling random "UH!!!" at Fischer when a song ended. A subtle yet sincere smile appeared on his face and told us "You may continue!" So this is it folks. This was my fourth year in a row at Roadburn and I can't see myself stopping any time soon. This might sound incredibly pretentious but this really is more than just a metal festival. It feels like a pilgrimage. The festival has a smaller audience that what you'd expect from a festival, yet sometimes it provides some big names. All the people are extremely friendly and you can see how the bands go there not only for playing but also to have a great time watching other bands. It's a place where everybody shares a strong love for metal and other sorts of heavy music. I hope that with this four part article some of you will get pumped and take your asses to Tilburg and enjoy one of the best festivals metal has to offer!

Che: Triptykon were definitely the best part of the Roadburn Sunday, although Aqua Nebula Oscillator ran a close spot for #2. All in all, this whole festival experience was very special and somewhat otherwordly for me. When I originally signed up on Metal Storm back in 2010, I had no idea that four years later I'd have a well-established presence on the site as a Staffer, almost 80 reviews under my belt, great metal friends all across the globe, and be journeying overseas for a four day metal festival. It was an awesome time, with some memories I'll never forget, and it raises my hopes for more metal friends opening their doors for me to attend more foreign fests with them in the future (I'm looking at you, Hellfest and Deathkult!).

Cheers and thanks to all who followed us lazy reviewers through these four articles, we know that some of them were way overdue in their pacing

Bonus pics added for the sake of memories, and to make you want to go even more

Written on 06.06.2014 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 23   Visited by: 72 users
06.06.2014 - 10:52
toxx
Supreme being
I will definitely be going to Roadburn in the future. Even more sure now that I've read the reviews

I'm seeing Bölzer in September, and I'm really looking forward to it. I see them getting praised in metal media quite often these days, so my expectations are quite high.
06.06.2014 - 16:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Che, Rod - on I did build a 4 or 5 guinness towers hight as I could, well they colapsed in next day and who is that cue prety blond chick?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.06.2014 - 17:48
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Bad English on 06.06.2014 at 16:49

Che, Rod - on I did build a 4 or 5 guinness towers hight as I could, well they colapsed in next day and who is that cue prety blond chick?

Yeah, there wasn't much hard liquor around other than the flask of coconut rum I brought every day, but we drank plenty of beer. And I forget her name, just a pretty lady we met around the venue grounds who started hanging out with us and our crew each day.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
06.06.2014 - 17:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Auntie Sahar on 06.06.2014 at 17:48

Written by Bad English on 06.06.2014 at 16:49

Yeah, there wasn't much hard liquor around other than the flask of coconut rum I brought every day, but we drank plenty of beer. And I forget her name, just a pretty lady we met around the venue grounds who started hanging out with us and our crew each day.

Marcel ciulkd give you such beers what you never heard about and hard liqor in the fests, if I wouild be 22
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.06.2014 - 22:48
Erik M.

Which beer pubs in Tilburg did Marcel take you guys? I'm a member of Café Hoegaarden (biggest beer card in Tilburg with around 250 different beers), so I'm there weekly, but I occasionally visit Kandinsky as well. And then there's Buitenbeentje, which is way cheaper than the other beer pubs, as well as having less beers on their beer card. Rodrigo drinking a McChouffe I assume (or is it a N'Ice Chouffe... both are very nice in any case, much better than the blonde Chouffe beers)? Anyway, fun to see all those familiar places on the photos.
07.06.2014 - 00:04
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Erik M. on 06.06.2014 at 22:48

Which beer pubs in Tilburg did Marcel take you guys?

I can't remember the name exactly, all I can tell you to make your possible memories click was that there was a huge plastic cow above the bar, that was the one we went into on Wednesday before the festival. Other than that we didn't really go into any pubs, and all subsequent drinking was at the festival. Think I had some Croat myself at that pub, and then at the fest I frequently bought 1 Euro cups of Jupiler, and Rod bought some Bavaria for the team.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
07.06.2014 - 00:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I didn't take them to any beer pubs in Tilburg. I took them to België in Utrecht instead which has more beers. And btw I think Kandinsky in Tilburg has more beers than the pub Erik mentioned.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.06.2014 - 00:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Btw Rodrigo didn't drink any Chouffe at all. it was a Dutch beer he drank in België, can't remember its name though and that is not important since it was Dutch craft beer.

Buitenbeetje even though their beer card isn't as big I find better than the others in Tilburrg due to their pricing and having beers the other pubs don't have.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.06.2014 - 01:01
Erik M.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.06.2014 at 00:50

I didn't take them to any beer pubs in Tilburg. I took them to België in Utrecht instead which has more beers. And btw I think Kandinsky in Tilburg has more beers than the pub Erik mentioned.

Dude, at Café Hoegaarden they have about 250 beers on the beer card (not up-to-date though). And I should know, since I visit the place regularly. Ron (the owner) is pretty much continuously expanding his beer card. Kandinsky is #2 in Tilburg when it comes to the beer they have to offer, with "more than 200 beers". I was there last saturday actually.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.06.2014 at 00:52

Btw Rodrigo didn't drink any Chouffe at all. it was a Dutch beer he drank in België, can't remember its name though and that is not important since it was Dutch craft beer.

Buitenbeetje even though their beer card isn't as big I find better than the others in Tilburrg due to their pricing and having beers the other pubs don't have.

Oh, I figured it was a McChouffe or N'Ice Chouffe seeing the Chouffe glass he was drinking it from. I got the same glass.

About Buitenbeentje, I agree their pricing is a lot better in comparison to Kandinsky and especially Hoegaarden (11,75 euro for a 33 cl bottle Westvleteren 12, the most expensive beer on the beer card), but to me Hoegaarden and Kandinsky both have a much nicer setting.
07.06.2014 - 01:01
Erik M.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.06.2014 at 00:04

I can't remember the name exactly, all I can tell you to make your possible memories click was that there was a huge plastic cow above the bar, that was the one we went into on Wednesday before the festival. Other than that we didn't really go into any pubs, and all subsequent drinking was at the festival. Think I had some Croat myself at that pub, and then at the fest I frequently bought 1 Euro cups of Jupiler, and Rod bought some Bavaria for the team.

Damn, I don't recognize that at all. Seeing as it's something you would remember (in general), it's safe to say I've never been to that pub. And what's a Croat? Jupiler isn't that bad, but I highly prefer Hertog Jan or Brand when it comes to drinking pilsners.
07.06.2014 - 03:42
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Erik M. on 07.06.2014 at 01:01

And what's a Croat?

Don't hold me to that name, I had quite a few of whatever they were at that pub, so I'm not entirely sure that was even what they were called
----

~ II. VII
08.06.2014 - 13:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Love the last pics of the gang Tks a lot for sharing that. And of course Marcel wins most sexy!

Would love to attend Roadburn one day, fingers crossed.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.06.2014 - 18:33
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by BloodTears on 08.06.2014 at 13:57

Marcel wins most sexy!

Would love to attend Roadburn one day, fingers crossed.

Ana, plz, Marcel don't know bout dat mocha caramel flavor I got goin on. Recognize.
Save up that moolah and join us for next year!
----

~ II. VII
08.06.2014 - 22:01
Erik M.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.06.2014 at 03:42

Don't hold me to that name, I had quite a few of whatever they were at that pub, so I'm not entirely sure that was even what they were called

Damn, I would've expected Marcel to say which pub the one with the cow above the bar is. Or it Kafé België in Utrecht? If that bar is in Tilburg, I've never been there and I'm still curious what's it called. Btw, what exactly were those "croats"? I mean, is it beer, food or what?
08.06.2014 - 22:05
Erik M.

Oh, nevermind. I already looked up photos from België in Utrecht and noticed that cow in one of those photos. Damn Che, you were a bit confusing since that beer pub wasn't even in Tilburg to begin with.
08.06.2014 - 22:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Erik M. on 08.06.2014 at 22:05

Oh, nevermind. I already looked up photos from België in Utrecht and noticed that cow in one of those photos. Damn Che, you were a bit confusing since that beer pub wasn't even in Tilburg to begin with.

Did you read Marcel's older posts? He already explained that we never went to any bars in Tilburg, just Utrecht and that it was called België. xD
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.06.2014 - 22:17
Erik M.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.06.2014 at 22:11

Did you read Marcel's older posts? He already explained that we never went to any bars in Tilburg, just Utrecht and that it was called België. xD

Well, he said you didn't go to any beer pubs, and since there are only a couple of real beer pubs in Tilburg (Café Hoegaarden, Kandinsky and Buitenbeentje), I thought you might've visited some other bars in Tilburg anyway. Never been to België in Utrecht. In fact, when he said that it was a bit odd to me since "België" is the Dutch/Belgian word for the country Belgium, as I had never heard about that beer pub before.
08.06.2014 - 23:29
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Erik M. on 08.06.2014 at 22:01

Btw, what exactly were those "croats"? I mean, is it beer, food or what?

It was a beer, the type I had at Belgie, I'm pretty sure
----

~ II. VII
08.06.2014 - 23:37
Erik M.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 08.06.2014 at 23:29

It was a beer, the type I had at Belgie, I'm pretty sure

Found this funny photo btw.

Still no idea which beer you're referring to. Seems pretty irrelevant, but I'm still curious. Let's wait for Marcel to clear this up.
16.02.2015 - 15:01
Velvet Thorns

I'm surprised nothing is said about MORNE ... for me they were the highlight of the Afterburner, as well as of the whole festival
----
restless oblivion forever
19.02.2015 - 00:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Velvet Thorns on 16.02.2015 at 15:01

I'm surprised nothing is said about MORNE ... for me they were the highlight of the Afterburner, as well as of the whole festival

What time did they play? That might have had something to do with it. Catching a last train home and such.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.02.2015 - 18:46
Velvet Thorns

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.02.2015 at 00:48

What time did they play? That might have had something to do with it. Catching a last train home and such.

...yeah, it might - they played at the main stage after Trypticon - the very last set of the festival - i am really happy to have seen and met them

They were really icredible, their performance can be heard here http://www.roadburn.com/2014/07/hear-roadburn-festival-2014-audio-streams-online-yob-indian-obliteration-morne-among-others/
----
restless oblivion forever
27.02.2015 - 14:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Velvet Thorns on 26.02.2015 at 18:46

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.02.2015 at 00:48

...yeah, it might - they played at the main stage after Trypticon - the very last set of the festival - i am really happy to have seen and met them

They were really icredible, their performance can be heard here http://www.roadburn.com/2014/07/hear-roadburn-festival-2014-audio-streams-online-yob-indian-obliteration-morne-among-others/

Aha after Triptykon, yeah we (Mr Doctor, Apothecary. Mr Doctor's sister and I) left immediately after Triptykon due to last train back to Utrecht. That's the reason Morne isn't mentioned here in this report.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 6707 | This month: 9