Metal Storm logo
Travelling to Finnland & Scandinavia

24.06.2014 - 21:24
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I know this forum has a variety of members from Scandinavia so, I thought I would try to do some research from people from the area and, those who have been there. In September my girlfriend and I will be flying out to Iceland for a few days and, then over to Helsinki. We have a month to spend in Scandinavia and at the moment are a bit uncertain how long we are going to spend in what areas, we are likely to spend a good chunk of time in Finnland itself (probably in or around Helsinki) and, then we are going to make our way over to Sweden perhaps and then down to fly out of Copenhagen come early October.

We've been doing relentless research on getting around, accommodations and the like but, there's still a lot we don't know and we're trying to keep a personal budget in mind.

What do you find is the best for travelling within the area, Eurail pass, regional trains, public transit or renting/buying a cheap vehicle?
- I realize with the Eurail pass that it gets you to main points, and can be used to receive a discount when taking the ferry which is necessary to get to Sweden and, then we can travel down to Denmark.

Cost of living, that's a big one in my mind. Over and over I read and hear that Scandinavia is expensive, particularly Finnland (though apparently Norway is moreso). I'm really curious as to what the prices are like in the grocery stores and other common things needed for day to day life.

I'm sure to have a lot more questions and curiosities. Thank-you in advance for your help and input.
24.06.2014 - 22:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well if you be up to north close to Luleå ... PM me, might catch up and have a chat

but thats not best period to travvel... not much to do, now when midnight sun and real summer its best go to Swe and Norge nordic parts
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.06.2014 - 10:45
toxx
Supreme being
You should stop by the Til Dovre Faller festival in Norway! 19-20. September, in Dombås. Quite affordable, and there is still hotel rooms available, as well as a motel close to the venue. You could also tent, as you can by law tent almost all over Norway. Easy access by train or bus from Oslo. Amazing scenery up there as well, and you can go on a Musk Ox safari

I would say that train is a good way to get around, at least here in Norway, depending on where you want to go!

More info on that festival:
http://www.metalstorm.net/events/event.php?event_id=97972
26.06.2014 - 12:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by toxx on 26.06.2014 at 10:45

You should stop by the Til Dovre Faller festival in Norway! 19-20. September, in Dombås. Quite affordable, and there is still hotel rooms available, as well as a motel close to the venue. You could also tent, as you can by law tent almost all over Norway. Easy access by train or bus from Oslo. Amazing scenery up there as well, and you can go on a Musk Ox safari

I would say that train is a good way to get around, at least here in Norway, depending on where you want to go!

More info on that festival:
http://www.metalstorm.net/events/event.php?event_id=97972

tent in september .... he needs a lots of linie aquavit man if summer is like this what will be in septembe r-10¤C already?
----

apos;'
[image]
26.06.2014 - 14:35
toxx
Supreme being
No problem. Not that cold. Can drop to below freezing at night, but +5-15 at daytime
26.06.2014 - 15:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by toxx on 26.06.2014 at 14:35

No problem. Not that cold. Can drop to below freezing at night, but +5-15 at daytime

still cold ... I hate late sept and oct .. (unless its not frozen soil and snow)
----

apos;'
[image]
22.07.2014 - 21:48
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Thanks for the info and suggestions fellas, my apologies for the belated response..been a bit busy as of late. Still trying to figure out exactly what the gf and I are doing Europe wise, latest idea is just getting a "global" pass on the Eurail and visiting a variety of places that appeal to us - Scandinavia and Germany being the largest focal points. Just seeing what sort of shows are going on between September and October at the moment.
13.09.2019 - 13:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Since I reached Miika Tenkula age, I decide go to Muhos , and Oulu where all begins. I drove a car, gosh what a traffic on E4, I like drive inside where maybe 2-3 cars are on main hightway per h. I hate drive ... all was so expedience, hotel all, so sleep at car , since I have true nordic blood, I did not freeze at car, but still its sad, fuel, travel, food, hotel all costs so much, I dont get how swedish people can have holydays, travels to Asia, South what so ever, where they get money? My incomes after taxes are between 25 000 - 17 000 sek dependss each month, an i think its way to poor, since food costs sek 8 000 for me per month, well I dont get where and how people can travel and get money.... gosh, it will be last travel for a long.
----

apos;'
[image]