Release date: August 2006

01. A Monolithic Vulgarity
02. Gleamer
03. Fault Lines
04. Nostalgic Echo
05. Teledildonics
06. Iceblocks
07. Rise To The Midden

I keep receiving many Post-Metal releases per week and each time my interest keeps growing bigger and bigger. This time I had the opportunity to hear a band that pushed the Post-Metal scheme to a different level, a more?Alternative level, the band's name is Intronaut and it's a band with one hell of a line-up actually (Leon Del Muerte, Danny Walker, etc.)

This record sounds amazing from the first time you push play in your stereo, those are great news indeed, the whole album is really easy on the ear and it flows smoothly through 7 powerful tracks. So what's the bad news then? As Intronaut managed to create a Progressive album with some Alt-Rock undertones, it easily crumbles after some spins, the Mastodon similarities become more noticeable and this begins to drown the multifarious features in the whole album, whilst we became aware that there are almost none Post-Rock backgrounds in the music.

Don't get me wrong, "Void" is still a very interesting release; but if you (like me) thought it was a non-stop Post-Metal assault with prolonged formations, lengthy tracks and droned arrangements, you'll be a little disenchanted. This things aside, Intronaut delivers a great "new style" of Post- Metal, the tightened musicianship finally fits with the complex bits and the rockish scales follow the progressive structures creating a very enjoyable record; in the end this becomes a very worthwhile album that will easily blow the minds of many purists of the genre with its incredible mix of textures, atmospheres and styles.

This might not be the best and most outrageous album of 2006, but it surely won a safe spot in the Post-Metal lists.

Best Tracks: "Teledildonics"(truly amazing), "A Monolithic Vulgarity"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 14.12.2006

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 71 users
29.01.2007 - 13:47
lenesu

very good CD from a very promising band. I tully recomend it to those who like matodon, opeth, neurosis.
22.07.2008 - 15:37
Rating: 8
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
Teledildonics. Awesome song with a very weird name. I wouldn't compare them to Opeth at all, though, 'cept for the fact both bands combine heavy and soft moments in their songs (also, I can never imagine Opeth referencing dildos in their song titles).
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
13.09.2011 - 04:58
Rating: 7
Kuroboshi

I find it to be an irritating release, to schizophrenic. And you're right, it's post in a half-assed way. In a bad way. There latest effort is far better than this.

Hits total: 4903 | This month: 7