Metal Storm logo
Early-Hours Metal / Music

Original post

Posted by , 11.07.2014 - 04:35
Something I've noticed recently is how drastically my listening habits change after about 1am. Admittedly for me it's mostly ambient, downtempo, piano and classical stuff (preferably low key and understated), drone and the like, though a few metal stuff creeps in. Again, generally more neutral, non-energetic sort of things. I guess it makes sense that things would calm down a bit. Probably my favourite time to be listening to music really.

Some nice night-metal(ish):

Sunn O))): Link
Blut aus Nord: Link
Katatonia: Link
Menace Ruine: Link
Nadja: Link
Velvet Cacoon: Link
Earth: Link
Noekk: Link
Horseback: Link
In The Woods: Link
Junius: Link
Leviathan: Link
Moon: Link
Pulsefear (Pre-The Axis of Perdition): Link
Tenhornedbeast: Link
Xasthur: Link
Beherit: Link

I could post a bunch of non-metal stuff but probably not the place for it, but stuff I find perfect for these hours is the likes of Boards of Canada, Erik Satie, Sleep Research Facility, Depeche Mode, The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation, Deaf Center and the like.

So yeah, what's yours, if any?

This post was brought to you at 2.35am
11.07.2014 - 20:34
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guest on 11.07.2014 at 18:48

It's just a ploy to appeal to the sensitive side of the ladies. In reality he's a double-hard bastard.
Elend. Yeah some of it I can manage, though some other stuff is a bit too intense for me in the early hours

I got fooled. And I was just telling Matty about how he could use that with girls yesterday. I guess the bullshitter just got bullshitted.

Well Elend is like... my favourite band after Depeche Mode. I can take it any time of the day. They do have less scary stuff than AWITS in their catalogue. But AWITS gets extra scary you take a shower at night with the lights out.
11.07.2014 - 20:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Oh so you're talking about my personal life behind my back. D:

Elend's first records aren't as scary. I think that with The Umbersun shit started to get really intense and it went downhill from there.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.07.2014 - 21:43
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.07.2014 at 20:52

Elend's first records aren't as scary. I think that with The Umbersun shit started to get really intense and it went downhill from there.

It's no secret you get scared, you said so in the film thread .

Yeah, and by downhill, I hope you mean downhill to the valley of Beauty-Upon-Musical-Perfection, in which runs the river of Damn-Dis-Be-So-Gud and then which opens itself as the delta of Life-Changing-Experience.
11.07.2014 - 21:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ilham on 11.07.2014 at 21:43

Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.07.2014 at 20:52

It's no secret you get scared, you said so in the film thread .

Yeah, and by downhill, I hope you mean downhill to the valley of Beauty-Upon-Musical-Perfection, in which runs the river of Damn-Dis-Be-So-Gud and then which opens itself as the delta of Life-Changing-Experience.

I have no ideas what the hell you said but yeah.. I meant that I guess? Actually, I just meant that their first albums are less scary and opressive... Shit gets really creepy from The Umbersun and forward.
The Umbersun is actually my favorite album by them, the others are fantastic too though. It might have to do with the fact that it was my first Elend album which I heard at night witht he lights off and got scared (surprise there!).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.07.2014 - 05:26
Zap
I've noticed that the hour of day doesn't affect my choice of music. I sometimes listen to crazy grindcore at 2 am, while at other times I'll listen to some relaxing blues at 2 pm and vice versa.
15.07.2014 - 07:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I have no preference. Whatever I'm in the mood for, I listen to. Sometimes it's lo-fi black metal, sometimes it's trip-hop, or sometimes it's stoner rock. There doesn't seem to be a pattern in terms of the time of day, or at least not that I've noticed.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.07.2014 - 14:13
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I'm usually listening to music while asleep, and I'll put on what I'm in mood for then and there. Lately I've been listening to Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun. Else I absolutely love sleeping to Alcest, it's so relaxing! Else I can put on Insomnium, Leprous, Opeth etc etc, depends on my mood
18.07.2014 - 16:29
Infernal Eternal

After midnight, I love listening to Mercyful Fate and Nile. They really make my day (night).
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter