Metal Storm logo
Tool - Explain New Album Delay

Tool's latest album was 10,000 Days released back in 2006. The band has been working on new material but contrary to some rumours (a misunderstanding between the band's guitarist and a fan led to speculation that the group had completed the album and intended to release it this year), they haven't completed the new album yet. In a new interview with Rolling Stone, guitarist Adam Jones and drummer Danny Carey confirm that the new Tool record is far from completion. An ongoing lawsuit has weighed on all of the group members but the band has continued to write new music.

"The fans are pissed at us," the guitarist says. "And while part of me is selfish and goes, 'I'm not necessarily doing it for them,' it's time that they understand what's going on."

Initially, in 2007, a friend of Jones' claimed that he had created artwork for the group that he wanted credit. But the suit got complicated when an insurance company that Tool thought would defend it against lawsuits turned around and sued the band over technicalities regarding the case. The band then filed a countersuit to defend themselves against the insurer's claims. The case is scheduled to go to trial in January.

"The whole thing is really depressing," Carey says. "The bad thing is it's really time consuming. As we've gotten older and our priorities have changed, it's hard to get the band on a good, solid schedule as it is. People have kids now. And there's lots of other things that pop up. To throw this into the mix, it makes everything that much worse and stresses people out."

"And it's costing millions and millions and millions of dollars to defend us," Jones adds. "And the fans are all going, 'We want a new Tool album. What the fuck?' And you don't want to pull people into your problems, because they don't understand.

"But the point is, we're fighting the good fight," he continues. "We're going to trial and we want to crush them. But every time we've gotten close to going to trial, it gets postponed and we've wasted money and time and it has just drained our creative energy. We bought an insurance policy for peace of mind, but instead we would have been better off if we never had it and just dealt with the original lawsuit."

According to the drummer, the trio has "gotten through the toughest part of writing," which is coming up with the raw musical ideas for songs. From there, they piece the songs together, send them to vocalist Maynard James Keenan and begin to refine them. "It's time-consuming that way, but it has worked really well for us," Carey says of the group's creative process. "It gets stressful at times when outside influences are dragging you down rather than pushing you forward."

"Sometimes I feel we get a little too proggy or too into exploring time signatures but not getting heavy enough for my taste," Jones says. "There are some good nose-bleeding riffs happening, and I'm really happy about that. It's not out-of-the-gate crazy heavy, but there are these little journeys with nice paths that end up very heavy."

Carey adds: "It's all a little more 'metal' sounding, if I may. I'm having fun drumming on it. There is one other song [beyond the 10-minute tune] that I would say is pretty much there. It's another one that's pretty gnarly with some good double-kick [drumming] going on in it."

"I'm hoping that we have something really solid recorded by the end of the year," Carey says. "But we'll see how it goes. I thought that last year, too." He laughs. "But we're making great progress. We've really knocked out a lot of good things, especially over the last month. We're all excited about it."

"It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good," Jones offers. "We've been working at our own pace, but we don't want to put out something and go, 'This song's fine, just put it out.' I'm never gonna put something out where later, I go, 'Fuck, I wish we hadn't done that.' We're just not going to settle for doing anything but our best work, and the fans appreciate that."

Source: rollingstone.com
Band profile: Tool
Posted: 16.07.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 31   Visited by: 355 users
16.07.2014 - 13:06
mz
Yeah saw it yesterday. I don't know how to feel about it. At least it's better than blaming the laptop.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
16.07.2014 - 14:06
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
'The Albums That Never Came Out'
Wintersun
Tool
Necrophagist
Virgin Black
Control Denied
hm... all or did I miss something?
16.07.2014 - 14:12
Czerny Reiter
*Bitches*

*Moans*

It's getting to that point where whatever they do end up releasing will never meet expectations of any sort. Kind of sad that money once again got the best of music, too.
16.07.2014 - 14:19
mz
Written by Hex_Omega on 16.07.2014 at 14:06

Wintersun
Tool
Necrophagist
Virgin Black
Control Denied

I really think that tool does not belong to this category.
----
16.07.2014 - 14:26
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by mz on 16.07.2014 at 14:19

Written by Hex_Omega on 16.07.2014 at 14:06

Wintersun
Tool
Necrophagist
Virgin Black
Control Denied

I really think that tool does not belong to this category.

Why?
16.07.2014 - 14:34
mz
Written by Hex_Omega on 16.07.2014 at 14:26

I really have no reason thinking so. After all, they does not seem to be lying (yet?). Last week they shared a very short guitar work which is meant to be featured on the next album.
I'm glad that they have kept this issue as a secret up to now. They had not promised anything and did not set a deadline for the release of their next album.
----
16.07.2014 - 14:40
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by mz on 16.07.2014 at 14:34

Written by Hex_Omega on 16.07.2014 at 14:26

I really have no reason thinking so. After all, they does not seem to be lying (yet?). Last week they shared a very short guitar work which is meant to be featured on the next album.
I'm glad that they have kept this issue as a secret up to now. They had not promised anything and did not set a deadline for the release of their next album.

I also don't think that they are lying but they were supposed to release their album earlier (2011 or 2012 if I remember correctly) and thats why they are on this 'list'; list of the long-awaited albums.
16.07.2014 - 15:56
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Czerny Reiter on 16.07.2014 at 14:12

It's getting to that point where whatever they do end up releasing will never meet expectations of any sort.

I think you underestimate the blind deification.
16.07.2014 - 16:07
Orangutoad
Low-life douche
"It's all a little more 'metal' sounding."

This is exciting, as I did not like 10,000 days at all. I thought it sounded too artsy and weird. Personally, I would like to see a return to the style of Opiate and Undertow....if / when the new album comes out.
16.07.2014 - 17:30
God Alone
Weird... I thought the delay was due to Maynard's ever-growing passion for Italian red wine.
16.07.2014 - 18:06
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by God Alone on 16.07.2014 at 17:30

Weird... I thought the delay was due to Maynard's ever-growing passion for Italian red wine.

Nah, in fact Maynard is as impatient as the fans are waiting for the other three guys to get some music done. It seems Maynard only takes care of lyrics + vocal melodies and the other guys do the rest.

Btw mz, that guitar riff is a new add for the live performances of "Hooker With A Penis", not for a new song.
16.07.2014 - 18:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
At least the foundation is there. Now we probably only have to wait for another 3 years to hear the final product.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.07.2014 - 18:21
mz
Written by Unhealer on 16.07.2014 at 18:06

Btw mz, that guitar riff is a new add for the live performances of "Hooker With A Penis", not for a new song.

Not sure but hey have actually said that it will be used for HwaP during live shows but it is also going to be used in new album I think.
----
16.07.2014 - 18:34
Czerny Reiter
To be honest, I'm not even that much worried about this particular album. I'm pretty confident it'll end up being released, for good or ill. The same cannot be said for any further potential ones after that; the drive for making new music seems to be definitely dwindling. That way lies a predictable arch of hiatus notices and eventual disbandment, followed by the inevitable cash-grab reeditions and reunion tours.
16.07.2014 - 20:45
Zap
At least they have an excuse for the delay that does not include digital orchestras that are too complex for the human ear and computers that turn into dragons...
16.07.2014 - 21:39
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
After reading misunderstanding between band's guitarist and fan, rest of the text is like

16.07.2014 - 22:05
Rupert
Written by Czerny Reiter on 16.07.2014 at 18:34

...followed by the inevitable cash-grab reeditions and reunion tours.

Tool doesn't strike me as that kind of band. And hey it doesn't bother me anyway, a man's got to make a living right?
17.07.2014 - 00:42
Czerny Reiter
Doesn't bother me the slightest, either, but it's certainly not conducent to me hearing new material from extremely talented musicians. That ship will one day sail for good as they will be a few decades too old on account of having such borderline "band-on-full-hiatus-that-might-as-well-have-disbanded-for-a-decade" waiting times between albums.

I like my bands lean and hungry, I guess is the thing to take away from this.
17.07.2014 - 03:47
Korah
I just hope that I could see the next Tool before my dying!
----
Don't cry for my English
17.07.2014 - 05:05
Reaper_Redeemer
You should be glad that they care about the album's quality. It's typical these days famous bands to release weak albums just to keep fans dealing with em.
17.07.2014 - 07:01
Opethian
Fingers crossed!
17.07.2014 - 12:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 17.07.2014 at 05:26

What's it with music and suing these days? In an ideal world, all the lawyers would commit suicide.

In an ideal world we wouldn't need lawyers to begin with
17.07.2014 - 13:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 17.07.2014 at 12:18

Written by deadone on 17.07.2014 at 05:26

What's it with music and suing these days? In an ideal world, all the lawyers would commit suicide.

In an ideal world we wouldn't need lawyers to begin with

But we'd miss the fun of seeing them fall!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.07.2014 - 11:26
PocketMetal
I've reached the conclusion that as long as I live to hear it, it's fine.
19.07.2014 - 03:40
Mattybu
Written by PocketMetal on 18.07.2014 at 11:26

^how Tool album delays are handled^

"Jari is a fucking horrible human being who should be skinned alive and fed to raccoons for the travesties he has committed against mankind"

^how Wintersun album delays are handled^
19.07.2014 - 04:05
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Mattybu on 19.07.2014 at 03:40
Written by PocketMetal on 18.07.2014 at 11:26

"Jari is a fucking horrible human being who should be skinned alive and fed to raccoons for the travesties he has committed against mankind"

I personally don't care about any of the two, but the general attitude of Jari might explain the difference in treatment .
19.07.2014 - 12:43
mz

not releasing a new album and comming up with a reasonable excuse VS making fool of your fans on a daily basis and telling lies for your stupid delay.
----
19.07.2014 - 18:56
Mattybu
Written by mz on 19.07.2014 at 12:43

not releasing a new album and comming up with a reasonable excuse VS making fool of your fans on a daily basis and telling lies for your stupid delay.

Lol, obviously they are different situations, which isn't the point I was making. People go apeshit over Wintersun delays, and the vast majority of those saying Jari is so horrible are dead set on hating the band's music anyways.
19.07.2014 - 23:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Mattybu on 19.07.2014 at 18:56

Lol, obviously they are different situations, which isn't the point I was making. People go apeshit over Wintersun delays, and the vast majority of those saying Jari is so horrible are dead set on hating the band's music anyways.

Because it is clear Jari is a lying little shit and this its the first time Tool have come up with an ecxcuse. If they keep on using this exuse and thinking up other excuses I amn sure ZTool will get the same treatment as Wintersun, and rightly so.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.07.2014 - 06:22
Mattybu
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2014 at 23:54

Written by Mattybu on 19.07.2014 at 18:56

Because it is clear Jari is a lying little shit and this its the first time Tool have come up with an ecxcuse. If they keep on using this exuse and thinking up other excuses I amn sure ZTool will get the same treatment as Wintersun, and rightly so.

I doubt they would. I guess we will have to hope for more delays to find out Tool just doesn't have any of the baseline hatred that Wintersum does, on a musical level.

Hits total: 6591 | This month: 16